Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i can just picture momo and ashuna in the umbrella interview meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

im corrugayed

(from A Couple of Cuckoos)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Summertime Rendering continues to be the When They Cry show that Higurashi Gou couldn't be. Imagine that, a mystery that actually respects the viewers time and intelligence and uses the supernatural element in interesting ways!

I got HUGE Umineko vibes when another version of Shinpei appears behind him and starts voicing thoughts that are more analytical and suspicious than his standard ones. I hope they go all the way and have a legit separation there but if its just a nod that's cool too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf. gou was a very when they cry experience, if you want a dose of the world of endless when they cry spinoffs too bloated to get far with the interesting ideas they do have

also a dose of, awful adaptations that make the flaws in their initial scripts stand out worse. why does higurashi get so many of those

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 1, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Cuckoo anime makes me REALLY want a Midwich Cuckoos anime adaption now. There are several directors who could probably take it into several interesting ways.

e: Mob Sekai continues to be amusing; I like the story convention of someone trying to avoid responsibility getting forcefully dragged into it and given more due to competence.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 1, 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Cuckoo anime makes me REALLY want a Midwich Cuckoos anime adaption now. There are several directors who could probably take it into several interesting ways.

e: Mob Sekai continues to be amusing; I like the story convention of someone trying to avoid responsibility getting forcefully dragged into it and given more due to competence.

As always the lesson to learn is never be visibly competent.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

As always the lesson to learn is never be visibly competent.

Yeah just ask Tanya how that worked out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tbf. gou was a very when they cry experience, if you want a dose of the world of endless when they cry spinoffs too bloated to get far with the interesting ideas they do have

also a dose of, awful adaptations that make the flaws in their initial scripts stand out worse. why does higurashi get so many of those

I think Higurashi had a lot of attention given to the wrong elements after it came out. Cute girls in cosplay is more marketable than supernatural mystery plots. Gory murder has more mass-appeal than psychological horror.

Also I think in general HIgurashi isn't that strong in terms of it's setting and premise. It's Ryukishi's writing and plotting that actually makes it strong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wacky cosplay is, the part of higurashi franchise marketing i dont mind

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Colonel posted:

the wacky cosplay is, the part of higurashi franchise marketing i dont mind

I have never paid attention to higurashi because of the sheer amount of media but now my interest is piqued.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Summertime Rendering continues to be the When They Cry show that Higurashi Gou couldn't be. Imagine that, a mystery that actually respects the viewers time and intelligence and uses the supernatural element in interesting ways!

I got HUGE Umineko vibes when another version of Shinpei appears behind him and starts voicing thoughts that are more analytical and suspicious than his standard ones. I hope they go all the way and have a legit separation there but if its just a nod that's cool too.

I read the manga after watching the first 2 episodes of the anime. As soon as they found out that they could fight the shadows, it turned into mostly battles and not a lot of mystery.

Mod Edit: added spoiler tags

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

sb hermit posted:

I have never paid attention to higurashi because of the sheer amount of media but now my interest is piqued.

read the original vns imo. those are good. solid eight chapter mystery series where the focus is on how your attachment and understanding of the characters affects your view of the mystery. the first fandisc is decent too, rei. everything after that swings, really wildly, in quality and whether it's worth even acknowledging

there's also the anime and manga. i hear the manga is, fine. the anime's really bad though, like even just as its own thing i dont recommend that. even if you might like it for its attempts to focus more on bloody dark slasher gore murder horror, it really messes up the last two arcs it adapts, it basically removes all the important and interesting parts of chapter 5 and its adaptation of chapter 6 feels very limp and unexciting, and season 2 is a drastic shift in tone because the first season's take on things doesn't really actually work for the ending.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Colonel posted:

read the original vns imo. those are good. solid eight chapter mystery series where the focus is on how your attachment and understanding of the characters affects your view of the mystery. the first fandisc is decent too, rei. everything after that swings, really wildly, in quality and whether it's worth even acknowledging

there's also the anime and manga. i hear the manga is, fine. the anime's really bad though, like even just as its own thing i dont recommend that. even if you might like it for its attempts to focus more on bloody dark slasher gore murder horror, it really messes up the last two arcs it adapts, it basically removes all the important and interesting parts of chapter 5 and its adaptation of chapter 6 feels very limp and unexciting, and season 2 is a drastic shift in tone because the first season's take on things doesn't really actually work for the ending.

Thanks for the recs. I was just going to watch the anime but I'll see if I can fit the VNs in my schedule.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there's a full voice patch for the mangagamer's english release of higurashi that lifts the voices from the ps3 version, I'd recommend it.

also there are three different sets of sprites, ryukishi's original, ps3, and mangagamer's. so have a look and use whichever, the ps3 ones are selectable in the voice patch.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Spoiler culture was a mistake

If you're starting Summertime Rendering because you want a mystery, you will probably be disappointed.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Stink Billyums posted:

also there are three different sets of sprites, ryukishi's original, ps3, and mangagamer's. so have a look and use whichever, the ps3 ones are selectable in the voice patch.

i'm almost 100% sure, without even looking for it, that there's gatekeeping in the higurashi community about playing with the original soccerball hand sprites

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they really do grow on you if you give them a chance. i started with the mangagamer ones and then switched to the originals in part 2 and wouldnt go back now

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

i'm almost 100% sure, without even looking for it, that there's gatekeeping in the higurashi community about playing with the original soccerball hand sprites

Gatekeeping is good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you're interested in Higurashi due to the cosplaying angle, I think you have to either watch the anime or play with the newer sprites. The original ones don't have much in the way of that iirc, just descriptions of the characters having to wear them in punishment games.

Also I'm very much a fan of the original anime. It still stands up imo. Personally I found the VN a bit too slow at times and with too much SoL elements.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 2, 2022

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gatekeeping media consumption isn't real

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gatekeeping gatekeeping

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

I'll beat up the gatekeepers

copy
Jul 26, 2007

who gatekeeps the gatekeepmen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the og sprites. i'm not going to force anyone to play with them but higurashi is, not much of a professional-level vn. it's a doujin work to its core and i think a lot of that reads better with the art of its creator than with art that tries to present it more like something professional

Nephthys posted:

If you're interested in Higurashi due to the cosplaying angle, I think you have to either watch the anime or play with the newer sprites. The original ones don't have much in the way of that iirc, just descriptions of the characters having to wear them in punishment games.

Also I'm very much a fan of the original anime. It still stands up imo. Personally I found the VN a bit too slow at times and with too much SoL elements.

it has as much of it as ryukishi could draw.

the sol elements, are higurashi, is the thing. the core of higurashi's narrative is built on your sympathy for the characters and when you're only doing the pure horror stuff and playing it up that hard, you don't get a lot of time to really build an actual attachment with them. i dont think it's wrong to shave down their pacing a bit but the anime isn't really doing that it's just trying to crunch too much into a 26 episode run time and i know this for a fact because the literal first thing the second season does is adapt the important scenes they skipped over for the sake of doing that. it's not just for adapting random goofier sol sequences they skipped either, the whole first chunk of s2 is basically an apology for skipping the epilogue of chapter 5. it is, an incredibly uneven adaptation

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The goalposts are always being moved in their favor…

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my thing here is that higurashi isn't even really my favorite vn ever. i've cooled on some parts of it a lot. but what i primarily like about it is that the core cast dynamics are neat and open up across the story in cool ways and i think the og anime is a very poor showing of what makes any of it interesting. it's like the tsukihime anime to me, it, will present things about the original vn in a way that is almost understandable. but if i was gonna tell anyone to check out that story it's not so much that the anime removes the warts of having to read a long vn as it has its own warts that i think are less interesting. at that point if you're gonna fix on the anime i'd just say to watch a different anime

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 2, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will never forgive PS3, anime, and Mangagamer Umineko for making George thin

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

The goalposts are always being moved in their favor…

:hai:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

a lot of the comedy/game club sequences in higurashi (vn) definitely drag out like 50% longer than they need to be, i agree that their presence is important though

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ive only ever watched the animoos but drat the early arcs are wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the later stuff. the mysteries really dont pay off imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

ive only ever watched the animoos but drat the early arcs are wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the later stuff. the mysteries really dont pay off imo

the, entire theme of the ending of higurashi, is that the mysteries themselves were never the main point. this is why connecting with the characters and their personal issues and struggles is the important part and the ending won't have any impact if you don't. the catharsis of higurashi, is in seeing the characters overcome the struggles the mysteries put them through.

ryukishi is way more of a character writer than a mystery writer, umineko is the closest he's come to just writing a satisfying mystery but even that is way more about how the mysteries inform your thoughts on the cast and the ending is super divisive for it. it's also why even when he decides to write meta text discovering mysteries it's 90% people doing weird laughs and making fun of each other. guy loves mysteries but he also just really really loves writing dialog. which isn't to say he's always good at it but,

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 2, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the sol elements, are higurashi, is the thing. the core of higurashi's narrative is built on your sympathy for the characters and when you're only doing the pure horror stuff and playing it up that hard, you don't get a lot of time to really build an actual attachment with them. i dont think it's wrong to shave down their pacing a bit but the anime isn't really doing that it's just trying to crunch too much into a 26 episode run time and i know this for a fact because the literal first thing the second season does is adapt the important scenes they skipped over for the sake of doing that. it's not just for adapting random goofier sol sequences they skipped either, the whole first chunk of s2 is basically an apology for skipping the epilogue of chapter 5. it is, an incredibly uneven adaptation

They are if you've read the VN first and that's what you like about it but as someone who watched the anime first I fell in love with the horror and mystery aspects more. The characters are great and the showdown on the school roof is legit the highlight of the whole thing, but I don't think it's needed to play a 100+ hour VN to get that when the anime does a good job already.

The S2 thing is fine, you couldn't fit that stuff into S1 anyway.

The Colonel posted:

at that point if you're gonna fix on the anime i'd just say to watch a different anime

I tried to find a mystery/horror anime that I liked as much as the first season of Higurashi and failed miserably. I tried all the big ones and even the crap ones like Ghost Hunt (which has one legitimately good arc tbh).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

shiki is the best anime of that sort imo but i suppose its not as much of a mystery

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched the Higurashi anime first, enjoyed it significantly at the time (probably put both seasons in my top ten of those years??), and now consider it largely unwatchable and only to be watched if you are morbidly curious after already reading the VN.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thinking again about the part of the tsukihime anime where they're having a big deep lore dump but the camera spends like five seconds focused on a carton of grape juice on arcueid's living room table

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can't wait for the inevitable botched Ciconia adaptation in 2050 when it's finally finished. :cheerdoge:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they should do a higanbana anime so i can see a wider range of people react to higanbana. that's the biggest rollercoaster of a ryukishi vn. all the best and worst in one place, side by side

on the other hand i'd have to sit through like three episodes of utopia so maybe never mind

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can't wait for the inevitable botched Ciconia adaptation in 2050 when it's finally finished. :cheerdoge:

Very well, I'll watch it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9arsRlNJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/anime_fuuto/status/1521436990985555969

Fuuto PI begins August 1