Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Played a couple of hours and I like it. Feels like a game-ified version of Townscaper, with similar charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

hyphz posted:

I had this too. It’s a weird design choice.

For the new content to show up apparently you need to do the Freedom Ending (follow everything the narrator suggests), plus 2-3 other endings if you said you’d played before in the intro questions, or 5-6 other endings otherwise.

I said that I played before, then did the stairwell suicide ending (do the opposite of what the narrator says) and then the do-everything-the-narrator says, and next run I got the option to go to the new content.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

hyphz posted:

I had this too. It’s a weird design choice.

For the new content to show up apparently you need to do the Freedom Ending (follow everything the narrator suggests), plus 2-3 other endings if you said you’d played before in the intro questions, or 5-6 other endings otherwise.

Heads up that even the 'old' routes have new content, it's worth it to play through them and try new things.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've played Dorfromantik throughout Early Access. It's a good puzzle game, but the real point is watching your little village grow, plotting out waterways and railroads, and looking at the countryside. It's a chill and pretty and satisfying game. Watch the trailer, then buy.

Yeah it's really chill and fun. Very satisfying to get the right piece and score a bunch of perfect tile points too.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

https://twitter.com/splendidland/status/1520810735684698113?s=20&t=43gTC_1La4lsDU_IMT0fBA

New RPG from the creator of Megaman Sprite Game. You should play Franken!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've played Dorfromantik throughout Early Access. It's a good puzzle game, but the real point is watching your little village grow, plotting out waterways and railroads, and looking at the countryside. It's a chill and pretty and satisfying game. Watch the trailer, then buy.

Truth. "What do you mean I'm out of tiles? I'm building a cool map." Kind of like pulling out the big Carcassonne box and just matching tiles together on my own.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Heads up that even the 'old' routes have new content, it's worth it to play through them and try new things.

Yeah I was playing through some of it and was confused by there being an ending I'm sure I would have seen before, and not recognizing it at all. I'll have to check a changelog but I'm still haven't seen New Content after a couple hours playing through what feels like some neat new stuff I don't remember

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does the button that says Jim come up again after the content introduction! I thought it would work on the voice activated door but it didn’t.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

Yeah I was playing through some of it and was confused by there being an ending I'm sure I would have seen before, and not recognizing it at all. I'll have to check a changelog but I'm still haven't seen New Content after a couple hours playing through what feels like some neat new stuff I don't remember

I found one that for sure wasn't there before, because the narrator says so. Also another one that I'm not sure if it wasn't there or I just missed - the down-up-down-up one. And also I'm pretty sure some of the 'regular' endings have been extended with new scenes or narration.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

I found one that for sure wasn't there before, because the narrator says so. Also another one that I'm not sure if it wasn't there or I just missed - the down-up-down-up one. And also I'm pretty sure some of the 'regular' endings have been extended with new scenes or narration.

The down up one was the new one I got just because there was narration for the action I was doing. Then suddenly an ending I don't remember!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

hyphz posted:

Does the button that says Jim come up again after the content introduction! I thought it would work on the voice activated door but it didn’t.

minor spoilers for the Epilogue ending

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I clicked every drat button and didn't find that one what the gently caress.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wildcat Gun Machine

quote:

Wildcat Gun Machine is a bullet hell dungeon crawler where you take on hordes of disgusting flesh beasts with a wide variety of guns, giant mech robots, and cute kittens.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256852015/movie480_vp9.webm
No user reviews yet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Citizen Sleeper

quote:

Roleplaying in the ruins of interplanetary capitalism. Live the life of an escaped worker, washed-up on a lawless station at the edge of an interstellar society. Inspired by the flexibility and freedom of TTRPGs, explore the station, choose your friends, escape your past and change your future.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256884390/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet.

Trek to Yomi

quote:

As a vow to his dying Master, the young swordsman Hiroki is sworn to protect his town and the people he loves against all threats. Faced with tragedy and bound to duty, the lone samurai must voyage beyond life and death to confront himself and decide his path forward.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256865269/movie480_vp9.webm
Highly anticipated new release from Devolver. 100% positive based on four reviews but that'll change by the time you see this post.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

This looks very interesting. Little bit Sunless, little bit Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, little bit CYOA maybe.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

ultrafilter posted:

Citizen Sleeper

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256884390/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet.

Trek to Yomi

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256865269/movie480_vp9.webm
Highly anticipated new release from Devolver. 100% positive based on four reviews but that'll change by the time you see this post.

Both of these titles are up on GamePass

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1704620/Harrier_Jump_Jet/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256869890/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642800203

quote:

The classic flight sim from Sid Meier and Microprose. Harrier Jump Jet allows players to pilot one of the most unique fighter jets ever made in three challenging, “what-if” scenarios.
Originally released in 1992, I could be wrong but I think this was just re-released. Another one was Solo Flight from Sid Meier, but I missed it back in January.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1288610/Wildcat_Gun_Machine/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256885216/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1651684248

quote:

Wildcat Gun Machine is a bullet hell dungeon crawler where you take on hordes of disgusting flesh beasts with a wide variety of guns, giant mech robots, and cute kittens.
Mixed reviews.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I want to be interested in this one but the trailer makes it look like they didn't have enough in the base game to not throw in some weird cat footage

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Played a little of this at lunch today (god bless work from home). It's interesting: the gameplay is really abstracted, reminding me a teensy bit of, say, Cultist Simulator. But, there's also narration and dialogue choices more like your Discos Elysium or whatever. You don't move a character around in the world, you just move your "awareness" to different zones with different things to do. I thought that might make it feel a little bland but the environments and sound design are really nice. It feels like a real place that you're just kind of hovering over. It works for me better than I thought it would.

What's really interesting is the "action economy". You get a certain number of dice each day (which you spend to complete an action) and you have waaay more activities you could use them on than you have dice for. So, there's a huge element of choosing what to do and what to ignore. There's also ticking clocks that count up every day that trigger different things (new ship arriving, someone's debt being called in) so you can't just infinitely dither around and deal with everything. You gotta pick and some poo poo is just going to pass you by it seems like.

I'm only like 30 minutes in but I'm finding it really compelling. I like the cyberpunk neo-noir writing, the music is really nice, and even though there are ticking clocks, it's all "turn based" to some extent, so moment to moment you don't have to rush to do anything. The tension is not in the time ticking, the tension is in you deciding to choose This over That. I'm digging it, can't wait to explore more.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

That Dang Dad posted:

Played a little of this at lunch today (god bless work from home). It's interesting: the gameplay is really abstracted, reminding me a teensy bit of, say, Cultist Simulator. But, there's also narration and dialogue choices more like your Discos Elysium or whatever. You don't move a character around in the world, you just move your "awareness" to different zones with different things to do. I thought that might make it feel a little bland but the environments and sound design are really nice. It feels like a real place that you're just kind of hovering over. It works for me better than I thought it would.

What's really interesting is the "action economy". You get a certain number of dice each day (which you spend to complete an action) and you have waaay more activities you could use them on than you have dice for. So, there's a huge element of choosing what to do and what to ignore. There's also ticking clocks that count up every day that trigger different things (new ship arriving, someone's debt being called in) so you can't just infinitely dither around and deal with everything. You gotta pick and some poo poo is just going to pass you by it seems like.

I'm only like 30 minutes in but I'm finding it really compelling. I like the cyberpunk neo-noir writing, the music is really nice, and even though there are ticking clocks, it's all "turn based" to some extent, so moment to moment you don't have to rush to do anything. The tension is not in the time ticking, the tension is in you deciding to choose This over That. I'm digging it, can't wait to explore more.

Agreed. I gave it two hours today in a big work break and wanted to give it more. Not sure how well it will hold up to a replay (seems pretty linear, not sure that choices are much more than flavor-oriented) but it's definitely compelling.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm liking Citizen Sleeper too, I thought I triggered a Game Over but it didn't so I'm hoping there's no fail states. I put in 3 hours and haven't run into any of the Critical Actions yet so I'm guessing you have to build up to the big plot points

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm loving Citizen Sleeper. I'm pretty sure I'm in the endgame and it looks like there are multiple endings, so I'm trying to do everything else first before I choose.

The only weird thing about the game is how hard it is to get mushrooms considering it's one of the first things you get asked for.

EDIT: Just finished it. It's pretty easy to get access to all the endings just by playing and choosing to stay leaving the one you want for last. The only replayability, besides choosing "yes" instead of "no" during the endings, seems to be the way you deal with the hitman and maybe a couple of other short scenes, nothing vital.

But even without being replayable, I absolutely loved it. With every NPC you help you leave the world a tiny bit better.

The only nitpick I have is there's no tension left during the last third of the game since chances are you'll be swimming in money. Probably much earlier if you know what you're doing.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 6, 2022

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I bought and finished Citizen Sleeper today, I really liked it. I ended up committing to the first ending I found, so I feel like I'll go back and replay it at least once more.

Edit: Whoops I stayed up three more hours and got most of the other endings. Game owns. I think I liked the first one I chose the most, still, (spoiler for one of the endings) escaping with Lem and Mina.

Fats fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 6, 2022

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fats posted:

I bought and finished Citizen Sleeper today, I really liked it. I ended up committing to the first ending I found, so I feel like I'll go back and replay it at least once more.

Edit: Whoops I stayed up three more hours and got most of the other endings. Game owns. I think I liked the first one I chose the most, still, (spoiler for one of the endings) escaping with Lem and Mina.

I was all set to leave with Bliss until meeting Lem and Mina. There's no way I was leaving them to rot in the eye.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I couldn't figure out how to get the ending I actually wanted because where I thought it would be it just stopped(?), then I got an ending automatically by clicking a thing that didn't indicate it was an ending, then the game kept going???

The second half of Citizen Sleeper is weak, especially with the easily exploitable infinite max condition and food for one to two dice a day depending. Still, I love the idea they were going for and its like 4 hours long so play it, its on game pass

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Looks like i'm going to be picking up Citizen Sleeper this weekend. Thanks for the detailed posts y'all.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Citizen Sleeper rules and was absolutely worth the wait from its announcement last year.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I decided against Citizen Sleeper but alot of the views referenced a game called Disco Elysium and it looked interesting so I grabbed it. It was majorly discounted. So... thank you, thread!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided against Citizen Sleeper but alot of the views referenced a game called Disco Elysium and it looked interesting so I grabbed it. It was majorly discounted. So... thank you, thread!
Obscure little game that one, don't think anyone has talked about it. Let us know if the writing is any good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have to finish Assassin's Creed: Valhalla first so it's going to be a while.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611910/Warhammer_40000_Chaos_Gate__Daemonhunters/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256885299/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1651759217

quote:

Lead humanity’s greatest weapon, the Grey Knights, in this fast-paced turn-based tactical RPG. Root out and purge a galaxy-spanning plague in a cinematic, story-driven campaign, using the tactics and talents of your own personalised squad of Daemonhunters.
Mixed reviews. Complaints about bugs, optimization, bonus items for creating and linking frontier/twitch accounts, and balancing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1857650/DEEP_FOG/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256883538/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1651166610

quote:

"Deep Fog" is a single-player 2D horizontal pixel horror adventure game. Explore the strange events that occurred in the fog city, 5 chapters will be phased release.
Early Access. 19 positive, 0 negative reviews. Looks nice and spooky

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Chaos Gate is 40k:XCom. It's pretty good so far. I had to frame limit it because my processor was going nuts. I don't know what it is about 40k games being released that max out your CPU until they patch it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611910/Warhammer_40000_Chaos_Gate__Daemonhunters/

Mixed reviews. Complaints about bugs, optimization, bonus items for creating and linking frontier/twitch accounts, and balancing.

I got it and have been enjoying it. I've actually made a minigame out of checking the negative reviews periodically and seeing how many are completely legitimate complaints(poor performance, bugs, etc) and how many are hilarious baby crying about the devs using twitch drops for promotion or "my precious space marines shouldn't be able to be hurt!!!".

There's so many of the latter that if you filtered those out it'd probably be at mostly positive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Obscure little game that one, don't think anyone has talked about it. Let us know if the writing is any good.

I've only been playing this weird game for 5 minutes and I already feel like I need a shower. And I blinded myself by turning the lights on. :smith:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I've only been playing this weird game for 5 minutes and I already feel like I need a shower. And I blinded myself by turning the lights on. :smith:

:sickos:

Maybe it'll be better once your better dressed. That tie looks like it'll look good on you.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

You have such a journey ahead of you

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Throwing my hat in that chaos gate is very fun and surprisingly quite hard. It has a good level of grimdark desperation mixed into it. It's very tricky to come out of maps with your grey knights in one piece.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I lost a health point trying to get the tie. :catstare:

<quote is not edit>

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 7, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really like that art style and the animations in Chaos Gate. Pulping a Chaos dude with your storm bolter or making them explode with a force weapon is so satisfying.

It really feels like XCom, which is pretty good. But also a bit hectic when you’ve got timers everywhere for research, infestations, and your dudes healing. Promotions are a bit deeper than XCom as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Is there a thread for this or any related games? This looks amazing and I'm probably going to buy it and I'd love to talk about it with other goons. I absolutely loved the original Chaos Gate from the late 90s and I was watching Beaglerush (the XCOM streamer) play this last night and I'm really hype for it.