Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I was the dude who came late to the party and only read Spider-Verse after the movie came out and it's kinda crazy that to me everything about Morlun and his dumb planet of spider-eating steampunk vampires is profoundly lamer and less interesting than like, Spider-Ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's not crazy at all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I guess just relative to the time and prominence given to each but, yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Te really funny multiverse is so popular as it’s barely a story. It’s just characters running seounf for a bit then it ends

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I remember when his book 'Webs' which was like a coffee table book for Spider-Man was a big deal for a while. It popped up now and then.

I 100% believe Kamala owns a copy. Right next to her copy of Marvels.

(So does Coulson - or he did, before his heel-turn. Is he still evil?)

Nilbop posted:

I was the dude who came late to the party and only read Spider-Verse after the movie came out and it's kinda crazy that to me everything about Morlun and his dumb planet of spider-eating steampunk vampires is profoundly lamer and less interesting than like, Spider-Ham.
I mean, Spider-Verse (the comic) was a dumber and less interesting take on the finale of Spider-Man: The Animated Series (despite having a far deeper bench of Spider-Characters to draw from) and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (which Slott himself wrote). Hell, Jim Butcher did a far better take on Morlun's family coming after Peter in the novel Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours (it's pretty good, I'd recommend it), so even that's not all original.

Wasn't Slott's original concept for Spider-Gwen literally just her in her ASM 121 outfit, but in red & blue with webs? Plus of course Silk. That whole era seemed kind of burned out, creatively speaking.

I forget, was it confirmed anywhere that the original plan was for it to take place during Superior with Otto as protagonist? That would close one of the biggest plot holes (ie why Peter didn't mention the radiation weakness immediately - although that's a misremembering of how it went down the first time with Peter irradiating himself to poison Morlun, rather than radiation just being their literal Kryptonite).

Dammit I'm mad about Spider-Verse again. :arghfist::spidey:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

wiegieman posted:

Isn't Peter a famous photographer? He won a pulitzer, right?

Yep, relatable underdog Peter Parker in addition to having a cool super model wife also lives in luxury in his Manhattan penthouse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All of Peter Parkers news related awards and accolations should be revoked based on basic journalism ethics.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

All of Peter Parkers news related awards and accolations should be revoked based on basic journalism ethics.

The Civil War tie-in we deserved but never got.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Kind of a little surprised they never rebranded Pete as a streamer or influencer in the continuing mission to make him young, hip and relevant.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Kind of a little surprised they never rebranded Pete as a streamer or influencer in the continuing mission to make him young, hip and relevant.

That would require the middle-age guys writing comics to understand that whole lifestyle.

Nowadays it wouldn't work because "young hip Spider-Man" is Miles' turf now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TwoPair posted:

That would require the middle-age guys writing comics to understand that whole lifestyle.

Nowadays it wouldn't work because "young hip Spider-Man" is Miles' turf now

Peter is so,ehow both young and hip and a loser30 year old.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in Spider-Man photojournalism.

TwoPair posted:

so basically a rerun of "beep boop computer internet" parker from Ultimate

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Weird thing about SpiderVerse was that there wasn’t a Spider-Man that was still bonded with the symbiote. But we did get Spider-Gwen, Spider Punk, SP//DR, and the comic debut of Japanese Spider-Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Weird thing about SpiderVerse was that there wasn’t a Spider-Man that was still bonded with the symbiote. But we did get Spider-Gwen, Spider Punk, SP//DR, and the comic debut of Japanese Spider-Man.

That's because those are Venoms not Spider-Men, obviously.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve never been a huge Venom fan, but I absolutely love Spidey in the black suit, so that got a visceral reaction from me.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Nilbop posted:

I feel like new comic book writers try way to hard to make there villians total badasses and failed whereas the older villains just showed up wearing the first thing they grabbed at Goodwill on the way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I don’t think that’s fair. Spider Verse big problem is a lot of things happen for story which undercuts the threat.

The family is shown no as supremely powerful but the SM you care about are able to escape from them pretty easily. The only time the Morlun family gets Ws is when the SM seem to forget you can’t let them grab you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Not every Pulitzer prize winner is recognizably famous, or especially affluent, or even guaranteed professional stability, I never understand why people think Peter Parker having one is going to make that huge of a difference in his life. Or like, the Moira stuff in X Deaths-- I saw people saying like, "how would a Nobel prize-winning scientist be able to be on the run, undercover," and it's like, I don't know, I certainly couldn't pick Giorgio Parisi, David MacMillan, or David Julius out of a line-up of other middle-aged guys, and I would feel comfortable guessing that without looking it up most people would have a difficult time assigning each of these people to the prize they were awarded. I would barely recognize Louise Gluck passing by her in a grocery store and I know Louise Gluck.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think that's the basic continuity puncture of Spider-Man at this point. Batman has his inability to keep all of his spree-murderer bad guys under wraps for longer than an in-universe month or so; Spider-Man has the issue where Peter Parker is an award-winning photographer, a former billionaire, and an internationally renowned biologist/engineer, but keeps getting stuck living in flophouses in Queens without enough cash on hand to buy a hot dog.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

so basically a rerun of "beep boop computer internet" parker from Ultimate

There's a dark What If? story waiting to happen where Ultimate Peter is four years younger, so he's on 4chan a lot, and then he gets superpowers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Peter Parker being the one 28 year old in 2022 who absolutely doesn't understand the internet is kinda fitting though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I think that's the basic continuity puncture of Spider-Man at this point. Batman has his inability to keep all of his spree-murderer bad guys under wraps for longer than an in-universe month or so; Spider-Man has the issue where Peter Parker is an award-winning photographer, a former billionaire, and an internationally renowned biologist/engineer, but keeps getting stuck living in flophouses in Queens without enough cash on hand to buy a hot dog.

There's a dark What If? story waiting to happen where Ultimate Peter is four years younger, so he's on 4chan a lot, and then he gets superpowers.

I sorta assume he actually always has enough, he just likes free stuff/thinks it's funny to make Franklin Richards buy him a a hot dog right after Franklin lost his uncle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

That's just how reed became the maker tho

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I sorta assume he actually always has enough, he just likes free stuff/thinks it's funny to make Franklin Richards buy him a a hot dog right after Franklin lost his uncle.

For whatever reason, whenever I think of 2010s-era Spider-Man, one of my go-tos is that issue of SSM Zdarsky wrote and drew where Peter's driving a hot dog vendor crazy. The dude impulse-offered him free hot dogs for life and Peter ended up taking him up on it every day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

For whatever reason, whenever I think of 2010s-era Spider-Man, one of my go-tos is that issue of SSM Zdarsky wrote and drew where Peter's driving a hot dog vendor crazy. The dude impulse-offered him free hot dogs for life and Peter ended up taking him up on it every day.

Yeah, that's an all-timer spider image.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wanderer posted:

This was literally what was in my head when I said Spidey stories work best when you focus on the little things a few pages ago.

Zdarsky not being on ASM just confuses me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

Peter Parker being the one 28 year old in 2022 who absolutely doesn't understand the internet is kinda fitting though.

I mean, that's Silk's thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This satisfies me enough on why the 'if Peter's so smart why isn't he rich front.'

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nilbop posted:

This was literally what was in my head when I said Spidey stories work best when you focus on the little things a few pages ago.

Zdarsky not being on ASM just confuses me.

i don't think you're allowed to write Newburn, Daredevil, Stillwater, Batman, Kaptara, Public Domain AND Spider-Man at the same time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Rogue: Going Rogue. As you might be able to guess from the title, it's not very good. I know that not being able to touch people would suck, but I feel like Rogue really should be able to have a fulfilling live with meaningful connections, so that the not touching thing shouldn't be this constant inescapable misery.
Has it come up at any point since Rogue: Going Rogue that Rogue has a complete lifetime's worth of memories from a dream version of herself growing up with her biological mother in the dream world? Also, why was Gambit blind?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cloks posted:

i don't think you're allowed to write Newburn, Daredevil, Stillwater, Batman, Kaptara, Public Domain AND Spider-Man at the same time

I think it's more like, how did DC give him Batman before Marvel gave him (Amazing) Spider-Man?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

This satisfies me enough on why the 'if Peter's so smart why isn't he rich front.'

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lobok posted:

I think it's more like, how did DC give him Batman before Marvel gave him (Amazing) Spider-Man?

I mean maybe he just doesn’t want to deal with all the poo poo the main SM title has to deal with

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Wanderer posted:

I'll never forgive him for making Spidey a ketchup-enjoyer though

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

drrockso20 posted:

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

You'd call yourself a genius?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

cant cook creole bream posted:

You'd call yourself a genius?

More the bad with money part

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'll never forgive him for making Spidey a ketchup-enjoyer though

It's not his fault, he's from New York.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

To be fair, writing Daredevil is a pretty good demonstration on how you'd fair writing Batman.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean maybe he just doesn’t want to deal with all the poo poo the main SM title has to deal with

I think Chip did mention somewhere recently that he didn't have a pitch for SM ongoing, and he was a bit daunted at the prospect of helming the title. Which sucks, because between Zdarsky's comedy and drama chops, he seems particularly well suited for the character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
after the last couple guys who helmed it, gotta respect turning down the big chair because you know you don't have something quality to offer the title

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

after the last couple guys who helmed it, gotta respect turning down the big chair because you know you don't have something quality to offer the title

Yeah. I mean, he could have pulled a Slott and just sort of ambled around the title for ages and burned out initial goodwill (although I don't think he would do that as fast as Danny boy), so I'm glad Chip recognized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slott had a plan, it was just focused more on Octavius rather than Peter.