Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
like a physical pay stub?

lol what happens if the company records/stuff is all digital/web based and that stuff vanishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I actually mentioned that.

If you list MSWord, MS Word, MS Office, Microsoft Office, XL, or Excel or use what the filter considers to be incorrect spacing, you go into the "no" pile depending on what whoever wrote the filter designed it to look for. I am basically an expert with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign but god help me if my CV doesn't say Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe CC, Adobe CS or neglects to specifically list Adobe Acrobat in that mix.

Yet, I better keep it short and concise because if it's too long some HR person will dump it in the trash if I somehow manage to make it past my Sociopath Test.

I've had job site feedback for applications that flag me for not knowing "Adobe Creative Cloud" instead of "Adobe CC" or the other way around. "Adobe Creative SUITE" and not "Adobe CS".

But I repeat myself.

Counterpoint: I just turned down (didn’t reply to) a cattle call email from a headhunter who had 5 different spacing gently caress ups in his loving signature. If you can’t decide on 0-2 spaces after a colon in your loving sig, you will probably gently caress up my paycheck.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Counterpoint: I just turned down (didn’t reply to) a cattle call email from a headhunter who had 5 different spacing gently caress ups in his loving signature. If you can’t decide on 0-2 spaces after a colon in your loving sig, you will probably gently caress up my paycheck.

To be fair, the recruiter probably isn’t in charge of producing your paycheck.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Entirely fair. The last time I took a temp job that hosed up my pay, the email was similarly hosed up but hey money.

Attention to detail is a thing that is hammered into every employee from day one, or it isn’t. I’m not quitting a decent job that I enjoy to roll the dice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crain posted:

The extra hosed up thing is: The "higher up" I've gotten in my career, into corporate jobs, and into lead/senior positions, those kinds of roadblocks completely evaporated.

Hell, getting my security clearance felt less invasive and time consuming than applying to loving Target.

My latest Job consisted of finding the job listing on LinkedIn, being told in the listing to just email a dude my resume, and I had three interviews that amounted to half hour "shoot the poo poo" sessions. One dude never even asked me about anything related to the job he just say I listed some 3D printing stuff so we nerded out about that till he had to go.

It's amazing the level of bullshit people are put through for dog poo poo jobs that absolutely do not need it.

Same situation with the actual level of "work" that is done. Two of my best friends who I worked poo poo hole gas station or warehouse jobs with are both Directors now. Compared to those days they don't do poo poo 90% of a work day. They're both losing their minds trying to find stuff to do. So my theory is micromanaging PMC's and C-Levels call bullshit meetings and hound you simply because they cannot believe how little work they're actually expected to do moment to moment and feel some need to justify it.

Another thing that people need to wake up about when it comes to this stuff: JUST loving LIE.

THEY'RE NOT GOING TO CHECK.

LIST loving ANYTHING IN THERE.

NO ONE HAS THE TIME TO GO BACK THOUGH SOMEONE'S ENTIRE WORK HISTORY.

And if it's an automated system, again: just lie.

When in doubt with jobs: Lie. Lie all the time.

It's really, really clear what the class system is. The executive class literally might as well be nobles assigned a fiefdom, while everyone else is desperately labouring serfs at their mercy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

like a physical pay stub?

lol what happens if the company records/stuff is all digital/web based and that stuff vanishes?

This is why you keep W-2s and so on.

I have had several jobs ask for receipts and do extremely thorough background checks, for fairly high-level positions. This proved to be a bit irritating when one of my previous contract outfits hosed up everyone's W-2 one year.

Extremely careful places will ask you to explain why the position on your resume is listed differently in the company's records, which often happens, let alone ask you about gaps.

As far as gaps turning off recruiters or their robots, and other weird issues, this is still a job searcher's market and I can tell you it's much easier to get a job now than it was 2012-2015.

1) Companies are really struggling to fill key positions so you could really get yourself promoted in this atmosphere.

2) Taleo and other antiquated mid-2000's poo poo like having to restate everything on your resume into more forms also seems to be going the way of the dodo, thank Christ. LinkedIn Easy Apply will yield plenty of hits and people not using that service will do similar. I shotgunned the Internet with applications earlier this year and I can't tell you how much easier it was when I was doing the same in 2015.

3) I have had weird gaps on my resume and even at one point went back to an old job. People asked what's up, but no one cared because COVID has still for the time being upset what was previously considered normal, to job searchers' benefit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really, really clear what the class system is. The executive class literally might as well be nobles assigned a fiefdom, while everyone else is desperately labouring serfs at their mercy.

Nobles had less relative wealth.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is why you keep W-2s and so on.

I have had several jobs ask for receipts and do extremely thorough background checks, for fairly high-level positions. This proved to be a bit irritating when one of my previous contract outfits hosed up everyone's W-2 one year.

Extremely careful places will ask you to explain why the position on your resume is listed differently in the company's records, which often happens, let alone ask you about gaps.

As far as gaps turning off recruiters or their robots, and other weird issues, this is still a job searcher's market and I can tell you it's much easier to get a job now than it was 2012-2015.

1) Companies are really struggling to fill key positions so you could really get yourself promoted in this atmosphere.

2) Taleo and other antiquated mid-2000's poo poo like having to restate everything on your resume into more forms also seems to be going the way of the dodo, thank Christ. LinkedIn Easy Apply will yield plenty of hits and people not using that service will do similar. I shotgunned the Internet with applications earlier this year and I can't tell you how much easier it was when I was doing the same in 2015.

3) I have had weird gaps on my resume and even at one point went back to an old job. People asked what's up, but no one cared because COVID has still for the time being upset what was previously considered normal, to job searchers' benefit.

How private can you keep your LinkedIn data from data mining algorithms or random members of the public these days? Deleting my old one was something I never got around to until I noticed how much of the information was turning up on those public data scraping websites.*

I'll likely be looking for a new position next year when I move (and considering changing industries) so I have a feeling I may need to reactivate it.

*So far it's only been a matter of submitting a takedown request with each company to get it taken down, but I assume that streak won't last forever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Linked in are capital A Awful with privacy stuff

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

How private can you keep your LinkedIn data from data mining algorithms or random members of the public these days? Deleting my old one was something I never got around to until I noticed how much of the information was turning up on those public data scraping websites.*

I'll likely be looking for a new position next year when I move (and considering changing industries) so I have a feeling I may need to reactivate it.

*So far it's only been a matter of submitting a takedown request with each company to get it taken down, but I assume that streak won't last forever.

The controls are generally solid when you use them, but they are way behind on making a one-click, lock everything down option, so it's sort of discouraged through inconvenience. The Visibility section of privacy is where you lock down your profile, but the amount of bullshit sub-options is alarming.

Unfortunately LinkedIn appears to have largely won the resume site wars, most other boards just return crap now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A Tesla careened off an overpass and the news' hot take is we need more cops, not holy poo poo Tesla murdered that guy: https://www.wral.com/man-dead-after-car-crashes-falls-to-i-40-in-durham/20258502/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Alterian posted:

A Tesla careened off an overpass and the news' hot take is we need more cops, not holy poo poo Tesla murdered that guy: https://www.wral.com/man-dead-after-car-crashes-falls-to-i-40-in-durham/20258502/

Looks like they set the manslaughter threshold too high.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Alterian posted:

It's the knee-jerk response of people who treat every issue of public safety as a police issue.

Can't wait for the Tesla vs police shootout. "It's gone rogue! Shoot it!"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quarantinethepast posted:

It's the knee-jerk response of people who treat every issue of public safety as a police issue.

Alternatively, Teslas for cops??

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That would at least be a cool flavor of dystopian, if all the cops were replaced with exploding self-driving cars with the shittiest AI imaginable.
Very Robocop.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quarantinethepast posted:

Already (kinda) happened with an attempt at ticketing a driverless vehicle that started to pull away mid-stop. They didn't shoot it (comedy answer: because the car was white.).

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cb1q-vggFn9/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Libra posted:

That would at least be a cool flavor of dystopian, if all the cops were replaced with exploding self-driving cars with the shittiest AI imaginable.
Very Robocop.

That's basically what covid was. They got on the wrong side of the culture war and cops are dying at stupid rates to covid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HootTheOwl posted:

That's basically what covid was. They got on the wrong side of the culture war and cops are dying at stupid rates to covid.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ what I assume are cops joining the army then dying getting classified as 9/11-related.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Probably like lung cancer from the dust or something?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Clarste posted:

Probably like lung cancer from the dust or something?

Also some cops died in the towers themselves.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This is either an awful plot or just wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spazzle posted:

This is either an awful plot or just wrong.

It’s a perfect plot

of data sourced from “Officer Down Memorial Page”.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

withak posted:

:lol: @ what I assume are cops joining the army then dying getting classified as 9/11-related.

Nah, just most cops don't die

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alterian posted:

I don't see any indication in this article that autopilot or other automation tools played any role in the incident.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

fool of sound posted:

Alternatively, Teslas for cops??

Got you covered. This is the town south of that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/comments/t56gc7/if_youre_wondering_why_cary_speed_traps_are/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Libra posted:

That would at least be a cool flavor of dystopian, if all the cops were placed in exploding self-driving cars with the shittiest AI imaginable.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Platystemon posted:

It’s a perfect plot

of data sourced from “Officer Down Memorial Page”.

quote:

DISQUALIFYING CIRCUMSTANCES

Any law enforcement officer whose death meets one of the following conditions shall be ineligible to be included on the ODMP:

Deaths attributed to voluntary alcohol or controlled substance abuse or while the victim officer is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance
Deaths caused by the intentional misconduct of the officer
Deaths caused by the officer's intention to bring about his/her own death
Deaths attributed to an officer performing his/her duty in a grossly negligent manner at time of death
Off-duty automobile accidents where the officer is not involved in any type of duty related activity
Off-duty law enforcement officers serving as overseas peace keepers, government contractors, or active-duty military
Private law enforcement, security, or corrections officers working for for-profit law enforcement companies (even if holding a state law enforcement commission)

The disqualifying circumstances include the vast majority of police deaths, which are suicides, vehicular misconduct, or heart disease (just like most Americans). As usual, if you want police to be safer then the best thing to be done is give them hi-viz uniforms and patrol car livery.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 2, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kaal posted:

The disqualifying circumstances include the vast majority of police deaths, which are suicides, vehicular misconduct, or heart disease (just like most Americans). As usual, if you want police to be safer then the best thing to be done is give them hi-viz uniforms and patrol car livery.

Cops absolutely loving hate wearing anything but tacticool soldier cosplay though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^
but they have punisher skull face masks?

I mean its a balaclava / skimask so its not going to stop Roni particles and will be hot as gently caress and if its not winter, lol at wearing it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grindr, from 2017-2020, was selling extremely identifying location data on its customers to third parties; the data is now out in the wild. Grindr's assurances that they are now selling less data are not promising. This has led to one known outing, and almost certainly more.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1521119686884216832

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Grindr, from 2017-2020, was selling extremely identifying location data on its customers to third parties; the data is now out in the wild. Grindr's assurances that they are now selling less data are not promising. This has led to one known outing, and almost certainly more.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1521119686884216832

That one outing being that priest, right? Or a different case?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JoGribbin/status/1521082652685750272?s=20&t=nVcGer86pnlcFWu37wC0Ow

Square Enix is selling their Western Studios and IP to invest in Blockchain

https://www.pcmag.com/news/square-e...4300%20million.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The fact that they just sold not one, but two established corporate entities and dev houses in Montreal of all places in order to invest in AI (the article says AI + Blockchain) should tell you all you need to know about how prepared they are for this.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I doubt they actually plan to "invest in blockchain," at least on any substantial level. In their full quote they literally just do the modern dotcom bubble thing and name every shiny tech word they can think of to make investors forget about how poorly the company is doing right now:

quote:

Square Enix said it made the deal in a bid to more efficiently allocate resources and accelerate growth for its core business. "In addition, the transaction enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud," the company added without elaborating. 

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, afaik they keep losing money on all these other games while supporting themselves with FFXIV, so it's just good business sense to cut off the unnecessary parts that are bleeding money?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clarste posted:

I mean, afaik they keep losing money on all these other games while supporting themselves with FFXIV, so it's just good business sense to cut off the unnecessary parts that are bleeding money?

I feel like a company with a money printer like FF14 at their disposal must be pretty loving bad at managing their other properties if they're doing that poorly as a whole.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Clarste posted:

did they though?? SE specifically listed deus ex mankind divided as a reason for profit increases, and those franchises sold millions of copies.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hitman Go also made them a poo poo-ton of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They sold off Hitman ages back.

Squeenix is pretty infamous for treating its western IP poorly with massively unrealistic sales expectations while massively over-investing in Final Fantasy.