Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

He's given a number of speeches and statements championing the codification of abortion rights, endorsed the codifying legislation (which passed the House last September and is held up in the Senate), and the DoJ has gotten involved in the various state abortion law cases, including filing a pro-choice amicus brief in the very case at issue.

People are mad that all he's done is lip service, yes. People are mad that it seems that's all Democrats are willing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Discendo Vox posted:

He's given a number of speeches and statements championing the codification of abortion rights, endorsed the codifying legislation (which passed the House last September and is held up in the Senate), and the DoJ has gotten involved in the various state abortion law cases, including filing a pro-choice amicus brief in the very case at issue.

thank god, an amicus brief. we are saved

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The problem is people DID vote. And nothing changed. It just got worse. "Vote harder next time" isn't acceptable.

I don't disagree with this sentiment in a lot of ways, but in this particular case, three of the five justices that are about to kill Roe were appointed by a guy who won an election that was close close enough that the contingent of people who didn't vote because "it doesn't matter anyway" might actually have swung things.

jetz0r posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1180506681459040256
If only he had won the presidency, along with party control of both and senate and house in 2020. Then he could have done something in the past two years to prevent this from happening.

Joe Biden is neither the dictator of the country nor the Democratic party.

e:

Zoran posted:

There is no mechanism whatsoever* to press the Dems to do the right thing if they’re going to receive your vote 100% of the time regardless.

*within our political framework, I guess I should say

Of course there is, it's called a primary election. It's not perfect, but it certainly exists.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 3, 2022

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Hobologist posted:

No, the problem is that people didn't vote in 2016, and voting in 2018 and 2020 is not enough to erase that mistake even if the Democrats pulled off a virtuoso election performance. I would have thought "repairing the balance of the Supreme Court for a generation" was a more effective campaign slogan than "try and pull off some semblance of damage control," but I guess I don't understand the Rust Belt mentality. I suppose the people of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan can just send the women of America an apologetic fruit basket.

People voted in 2008. People voted in 1992. People voted in 1976. Elections apparently don’t have consequences lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

raminasi posted:

Of course there is, it's called a primary election. It's not perfect, but it certainly exists.

Doesn't work all that well when incumbent dems pull every trick in the book to gently caress over progressive primary challengers and then the response of the majority of the electorate is "dang well that sucks but I guess I gotta support the incumbent in the general anyway because the alternative is the GOP."

And hell even if the progressive challenger wins the primary that won't stop them sometimes. Take a look at what happened to India Walton if you want to see just how far the Dem establishment is willing to go to subvert democracy to keep the left down and their own in power.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Carillon posted:

I wish I had your confidence that this won't benefit the conservative turnout and election results.

I have confidence in nothing except this being absolutely loving nuts

It could be one of those lightning strike galvanizing once in a lifetime opportunities for the dems and you'll never catch me insisting that it'll shake them into meaningful action lol

But what's extra super crazy about it is that the Supreme Court just dead-handed themselves into being a nakedly partisan institution, in the eyes of the general populace. Like they literally did the wizard court thing, that's what this does. Illegitimate supreme judiciary is not something to look forward to

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I do have to admit I thought they would be more gradual. Like Roberts probably would rather have whittled down Roe and wait to strike it down completely until after a few rulings weakening its precedent. I mean he’s the probably gonna write a separate pro-life dissent for this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

eSports Chaebol posted:

I do have to admit I thought they would be more gradual. Like Roberts probably would rather have whittled down Roe and wait to strike it down completely until after a few rulings weakening its precedent. Like he’s the probably gonna write a separate pro-life dissent for this

Roberts flat out doesn't have control of the court any longer. When the majority was 5-4 he could force whatever narrow ruling he wanted but now as long as :kav: doesn't get squeamish or the conservative bent to the ruling at hand doesn't run afoul Gorsuch's libertarian idiosyncrasies the ghouls can do whatever they want and run with it and all Roberts can do in response is side with the liberals and write a separate concurrence about how sad he is that the ruling isn't more narrow. ABC's appointment severely curtailed Roberts' power.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

More people are going to vote against the Dems because of inflation and high gas prices than those who will vote against the GOP because of this ruling that everyone knew was coming the moment RBG died.
This isn't necessarily going to overcome those issues, but there will be people who will now be motivated to vote that otherwise would have let apathy keep them away from the polls.

I don't know that there's any reason to think it will be decisive, but this is definitely going to motivate Democrat leaning voters more than Republican leaning voters.

Zoran posted:

There is no mechanism whatsoever* to press the Dems to do the right thing if they’re going to receive your vote 100% of the time regardless.

*within our political framework, I guess I should say
There's no mechanism to press the Dems to do the right thing if you've left their constituency. They'll start losing elections, sure. But they will undoubtedly find it easier to become the moderate wing of the Republican party again, like they were in the 90s, before they spontaneously grow a spine to reclaim your idealistic vote.

You can, however, primary lovely Dems. The framework may be extremely unfair and far more than a majority is likely required for change, but that's the time to tell the establishment Democrats to go gently caress themselves. When they're up against Republicans it's too late and yeah, if you care at all about anything, you're going to have to vote for them 100% of the time.

Alternately you could try to start up a third party. Preferably on a local level or in congress before you shoot for the presidency and gently caress everything up in our dumb system.

Those are actual ways to hold the Democrats accountable, and if you think they're infeasible or difficult, sure. They're practically impossible. But they're a heck of a lot more plausible than somehow trying to advance your agenda by letting the Republicans win.

Sydin posted:

Doesn't work all that well when incumbent dems pull every trick in the book to gently caress over progressive primary challengers and then the response of the majority of the electorate is "dang well that sucks but I guess I gotta support the incumbent in the general anyway because the alternative is the GOP."

And hell even if the progressive challenger wins the primary that won't stop them sometimes. Take a look at what happened to India Walton if you want to see just how far the Dem establishment is willing to go to subvert democracy to keep the left down and their own in power.
Oh for sure. Things are hosed. But they won't be less hosed by not voting for Dems. Turns out things really suck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

eSports Chaebol posted:

I do have to admit I thought they would be more gradual. Like Roberts probably would rather have whittled down Roe and wait to strike it down completely until after a few rulings weakening its precedent. I mean he’s the probably gonna write a separate pro-life dissent for this.

When/if we learn the how and why of the leak, the calculi of each of the people involved are going to be extremely interesting.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"If you really wanted your rights protected, you would get a supermajority of states to vote for it"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It would be nice if we could keep the tedious voting discussions to places that aren't the SCOTUS thread.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It would be nice if we could keep the tedious voting discussions to places that aren't the SCOTUS thread.

It's rather hard to not talk about politics when the Supreme Court has become so blatantly partisan.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Unlike the president with legislation, you have the ability to take unilateral action on this, and you're choosing not to. It is entirely within your power to enforce the rules and at least hand out probations. The abuse that is now occurring is something you have socialized and facilitated by choosing to not punish it. You've trained these users to do this, and given them the ability to derail any thread they want, on a whim, for as long as they wish.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Wisconsin republican legislation's already on the third draft of their wide sweeping anti-abortion bill and waiting for our weak, centrist, democratic governor to lose power so they can ram it in day one.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Carew posted:

These people do not believe in anything. Her mother, someone with actual power, is putting in work to support the anti-abortion Cuellar over the pro-choice Cisneros, while she wastes her time scolding leftists on twitter for failing to stem the tide of misogyny. Incredible.

Cool. How many SCOTUS justices has Cuellar confirmed?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Sydin posted:

Roberts flat out doesn't have control of the court any longer. When the majority was 5-4 he could force whatever narrow ruling he wanted but now as long as :kav: doesn't get squeamish or the conservative bent to the ruling at hand doesn't run afoul Gorsuch's libertarian idiosyncrasies the ghouls can do whatever they want and run with it and all Roberts can do in response is side with the liberals and write a separate concurrence about how sad he is that the ruling isn't more narrow. ABC's appointment severely curtailed Roberts' power.

Roberts is hosed and will be placed alongside Fuller and Taney on the list of the worst chief justices to ever hold the position.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

Cool. How many SCOTUS justices has Cuellar confirmed?

The national-level Democratic Party's continued waffling on abortion is certainly relevant to the fact that abortion rights have been left to the courts rather than being handled as national legislation.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Cease to Hope posted:

The national-level Democratic Party's continued waffling on abortion is certainly relevant to the fact that abortion rights have been left to the courts rather than being handled as national legislation.

I was looking for a number. What you provided is not a number.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

I was looking for a number. What you provided is not a number.

Your rhetorical question's premises were faulty. That number isn't relevant.

Don't get huffy when people treat your rhetorical questions as the statements they are.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah just peaking at this map Florida, Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, Missouri, potentially Wisconsin and Iowa could all quickly see full bans on abortion sweep into place as well.

loving lmao that Roe is going to die while the Democrats are in power and Nancy Pelosi is on record that being pro-choice shouldn't be a litmus test for Democratic politicians. Just an absolutely worthless loving party. Republicans are throwing women to the loving wolves and the best the "good guys" can do is wring their hands, tweet, and tell everybody to vote. loving pathetic.

Give it a few months and New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Maine will be on that list as well
A few years after you can add Pennsylvania and then Illinois.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

eSports Chaebol posted:

Roberts is the most terrified by this event because his legacy was to keep the Supreme Court legitimate and his actions were precise in adhering to this goal and this is the moment where it is clear he cannot do this and he has failed

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Vox Nihili posted:

Give it a few months and New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Maine will be on that list as well
A few years after you can add Pennsylvania and then Illinois.

The wording on the repeal says states can allow abortion "but" consider the life of the fetus, so it won't be long before texas v california with supreme court gutting california's abortion law.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Staluigi posted:

Roberts is the most terrified by this event because his legacy was to keep the Supreme Court legitimate and his actions were precise in adhering to this goal and this is the moment where it is clear he cannot do this and he has failed

Yeah, this has been my take.

If ginsburg had retired in 2012 and been replaced we wouldn't be here because Roberts, for all his shittiness, wanted the court to be seen as legitimate. It's why he signed on to gay marriage, didn't kill the ACA directly, etc. He'd be garbage on poo poo like citizens United, but he was trying to thread a line.

Now the court is 6-3 and he can't do poo poo. The lunatics are running the asylum and the best he can do is to try and salvage his own personal legacy, because there is more of this poo poo sandwich coming down the pipe.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

.....The thread takeaway about this leak is 'Those loving democrats!'??

Christ.

You know, this is terrible news, is it really necessary for the #1 priority to be figuring out the ways by which its the Democrats fault instead of the people actually doing it?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. It's not like there's anything the Democrats could have done in this scenario. And even if they could, it's not like passively allowing someone to do something you can try to prevent makes you culpable in any sense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

.....The thread takeaway about this leak is 'Those loving democrats!'??

Christ.

You know, this is terrible news, is it really necessary for the #1 priority to be figuring out the ways by which its the Democrats fault instead of the people actually doing it?

Nah gently caress everybody actually. gently caress the Republicans and their theological hellscape bullshit putting these ghouls in a position of power to strip away fundamental human rights. And gently caress Democrats for swearing up and down that if given power they'd use it to protect a woman's right to choose only to completely fail to do so with the excuse of "uh well :actually: you should have voted for us harder also this is really the left's fault for failing Hillary in 2016."

And before you think I just threw in that last point, that is actually what is happening right now:

https://twitter.com/bryanbehar/status/1521296928771764227
https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289

The whole thing is completely miserable and awful and hosed and there's apparently just not the will in the halls of power to pull out all the stops and do everything possible to push back against this.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Sydin posted:

And gently caress Democrats for swearing up and down that if given power they'd use it to protect a woman's right to choose only to completely fail to do so with the excuse of "uh well :actually: you should have voted for us harder also this is really the left's fault for failing Hillary in 2016."
I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that Supreme Court seats are for life and the balance was already 5-4 in favor of the apocalypse, so the 2016 election was, to borrow a legal phrase, the last clear chance to head off this decision. But the prospect of turning that 5-4 into a 4-5 just wasn't enticing enough for some people.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hobologist posted:

I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that Supreme Court seats are for life and the balance was already 5-4 in favor of the apocalypse, so the 2016 election was, to borrow a legal phrase, the last clear chance to head off this decision. But the prospect of turning that 5-4 into a 4-5 just wasn't enticing enough for some people.

This was foreseeable! Nevertheless, Democrats did not use their political power to head it off with legislation, over the course of decades.

For the reason why, it may be helpful to look at the political histories of Tim Kaine, Hillary Clinton's running mate, or the continuing political career of the son of the "Casey" in Planned Parenthood v Casey.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the leak 100% confirmed? It's a huge deal of course but some of that opinion looks suspicious, like "abortion is not in the constitution" is something the dumbest pro-lifer would argue

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the leak 100% confirmed? It's a huge deal of course but some of that opinion looks suspicious, like "abortion is not in the constitution" is something the dumbest pro-lifer would argue

CNN was reporting anonymous sources that it's real, and lots of outlets are reporting that everyone on the inside of the Supreme Court's deliberations are pissed.

Plus, Alito is in fact the dumbest pro-lifer.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

states will still be able to individually allow legal abortion, right?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

At least four sitting Justices fit that description, possibly five.

roomtone posted:

Until Texas sues California over it and SCOTUS decides that California allowing people to get abortions impinges on their rights or some bullshit.

What's going to fall next? Casey? Obergefell? Griswold?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 3, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

roomtone posted:

That's probably going to depend on the specific wording of whatever ruling ends up handed down. Some people were arguing that Alito's wording leaves open the possibility of later striking down pro-abortion laws that place insufficient emphasis on preserving the rights of a fetus, but that's a hypothetical built on a hypothetical.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hobologist posted:

We are straying well off course of the thread but I will say that Hillary lost Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania by something like a combined 100K votes between all three states. Had she won these, she would have won the general. You can blame third party voters, but you could also blame her for not focusing any attention whatsoever into these states because her camp considered them locked down Dem victories based on polling, all the while Trump was hitting rustbelt city after rustbelt city telling them they'd gotten a bum deal because of NAFTA and he'd bring the manufacturing jobs back. Strategic voting for SCOTUS is easy when you're in a good position, not so much when you're impoverished and only one candidate is telling you they'll bring your livelihood back without demanding you go to a Code.com bootcamp.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah. It's not like there's anything the Democrats could have done in this scenario. And even if they could, it's not like passively allowing someone to do something you can try to prevent makes you culpable in any sense.

The Democrats could pass a law to make Roe v Wade the statutory rule nationwide on any given day, as has been the case for years. You can ask your least favorite Democrats why they aren't doing this! I know I have! The answers may shock you!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

The Democrats could pass a law to make Roe v Wade the statutory rule nationwide on any given day, as has been the case for years. You can ask your least favorite Democrats why they aren't doing this! I know I have! The answers may shock you!

you are replying to a sarcastic post by someone who agrees with you fyi

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Killer robot posted:

Yes, this is true. You literally described what just happened today. Republicans won 2016, got three SCOTUS appointments and a couple hundred Federalist Society approved judges into lower courts. Since conservative judges are a trailing indicator for the disease of Republican presidencies, that damage lingers for years after the initial symptoms clear. Even before this happened we had plenty of Trump appointees at all levels of the court aiming to slap down even modest improvements by the incoming administration, some of which already floated up to the conveniently 6-3 SCOTUS.

sounds like symptoms of a sick system

any ideas for how to fix it? perhaps voting?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

you are replying to a sarcastic post by someone who agrees with you fyi

I probably should have just replied directly to the guy he was replying to but I am still shying away from direct confrontation for whatever reason. It's a flaw of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Cease to Hope posted:

That's probably going to depend on the specific wording of whatever ruling ends up handed down. Some people were arguing that Alito's wording leaves open the possibility of later striking down pro-abortion laws that place insufficient emphasis on preserving the rights of a fetus, but that's a hypothetical built on a hypothetical.

the wording does set the ground for that being possible,