Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

We already covered this. It's not even particularly relevant to any interesting argument, but I get annoyed when people intentionally misrepresent. His statement at Planned Parenthood was not that it was something he wanted to do immediately or on his first day in office or as his first action as president. He used "Well, the first thing I would do is..." as an answer to a question in the same way someone responding to a question with an answer that has multiple points would use "Firstly.... secondly...."

As for "whether what Obama did was okay" or is worthy of absolution comes down whether prioritizing Healthcare reform over codifying Roe v Wade was the morally correct choice to maximize good, at the time, given the information he had. That's not a trivial moral judgement to make, but given that Healthcare reform promised to significantly impact millions of lives (And did so! To the point of tens of thousands of people alive today would not be had that bill not passed http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mille/ACAMortality.pdf), and at the time abortion access was still protected by Roe v Wade, it's definitely not some unambiguous slam dunk argument that he clearly made the wrong choice.

It's funny you'd lean on "well at the time Roe v Wade was in effect" given Obama himself said:

Obama posted:

With one more vacancy on the Court, we could be looking at a majority hostile to a woman’s fundamental right to choose for the first time since Roe versus Wade and that is what is at stake in this election.

in the speech preceding his statement of support for prioritization of FoCA. He either recognized it as an urgent threat and didn't act on it, or he was cynically deploying that rhetoric to scare up more votes

But since we're really drilling down on context, it's worth noting that in the press conference in which he described it as not a high priority, he wasn't framing it against the ACA or anything actually on his agenda, he was framing it in opposition to doing vague small-bore poo poo like "reducing unwanted pregnancies" because he(explicitly) didn't want to make conservatives mad. It was never a choice between FoCA and the ACA, that's just something you've invented to justify his surrender on the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LegendaryFrog posted:

Sorry, it's my fault for not being clear. Let me clarify; the changing of the rules is not the constitutional crisis. The changing of the rules to a sufficient degree to achieve the outcome of passing the entire democratic platform overnight (or 72 hours as the poster I was originally responding to suggested) would have the inevitable result of a constitutional crisis. Because the Republicans would absolutely not just shrug and go about their business in response to that.

They would refuse to acknowledge that mega-ultra sized sweeping reform of the entire country in one bill as a legitimate act of congress. And I don't mean that in the same way as our current "oh republican senators will occasionally show up on Fox News and say Biden is not the legitimate president, but then show up to work the next day and act in a way entirely consistent with the recognition that he is the president" reality, but in a very literal sense where you get the bulk of the republican caucus advocating for their voters at home to storm the barricades.

you seem to be arguing about the perception of such an act, when that sort of perception is necessarily distorted by one's own circumstances. I personally would be hesitant to describe how the people of the country would perceive such a move without empirical support.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cease to Hope posted:

Republicans didn't do that when they had a majority and the presidency before. One of the few bipartisan beliefs of Senators is that the minority party should be able to derail the majority party's ability to govern, because they both understand that they won't hold power forever. People make "DECORUM" memes about Democrats, and they aren't wrong, but it's not just the Democrats who subscribe to this particular belief.

There's going to be a time when one party or another eventually grabs the brass ring, or maybe the consensus will get eroded with little measures blowing it up for every single possible situation. But, for now, it's a quiet bipartisan consensus.

During the entire Trump administration, Republicans never got anything together that was both subject to the filibuster and had 50-59 votes. Apart from uncontroversial bipartisan bills, they passed some reconciliation bills(and failed even one of those with the Obamacare repeal), and got a lot of appointments through. Neither are subject to the filibuster as is. It's almost assuredly the case that if there had been a single bill that had a House majority and 50 Republican votes in the Senate, the filibuster would be gone entirely today. But they like it being there when Democrats are in charge for sure, so they weren't going to remove it a minute before they had to.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

A big flaming stink posted:

you seem to be arguing about the perception of such an act, when that sort of perception is necessarily distorted by one's own circumstances. I personally would be hesitant to describe how the people of the country would perceive such a move without empirical support.

What form of empirical support would that be? I don't expect that voters have ever been polled on their level of support for the opposing party unilaterally declaring majority rule and overnight passing their entire platform encompassing changes to every aspect of society. My educated guess though is that this would poll quite low!

In terms of the likelyhood of the outcome I suggested for the elected official response, I'd point to the fact that right now you already have some elected officials ala MTG and Lauren Boeber advocating for their voters to storm the baracades over made up tyrannical actions taken by the "Democrat Party", and those people are tolerated enough among the Republican Party mainstream that they are not being instantly excommunicated.

Is it a really a giant leap to suggest that if Democrats actually just passed their entire agenda in a single move that flips over the entire senate table, that more Republicans who had previously stood on the sidelines would join their extremist colleagues and the Tucker Carlson of the world in this rhetoric?

If there needs to be hard data attached though, then I really don't see how we can discuss items like "assuming they had a unified 50 votes, would it be a good idea for democrats to play to win / go nuclear and just pass everything they want right now?"

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

What form of empirical support would that be? I don't expect that voters have ever been polled on their level of support for the opposing party unilaterally declaring majority rule and overnight passing their entire platform encompassing changes to every aspect of society. My educated guess though is that this would poll quite low!

In terms of the likelyhood of the outcome I suggested for the elected official response, I'd point to the fact that right now you already have some elected officials ala MTG and Lauren Boeber advocating for their voters to storm the baracades over made up tyrannical actions taken by the "Democrat Party", and those people are tolerated enough among the Republican Party mainstream that they are not being instantly excommunicated.

Is it a really a giant leap to suggest that if Democrats actually just passed their entire agenda in a single move that flips over the entire senate table, that more Republicans who had previously stood on the sidelines would join their extremist colleagues and the Tucker Carlson of the world in this rhetoric?

If there needs to be hard data attached though, then I really don't see how we can discuss items like "assuming they had a unified 50 votes, would it be a good idea for democrats to play to win / go nuclear and just pass everything they want right now?"

Hyperfocusing on the fact that there's nothing legally preventing them from passing their agenda all in one go, to the extent of theorycrafting rightist reactions to it, is just eliding the broader point, which is that the assumed legislative limits are self-imposed and there's a broad range between the maximal approach outlined by cc and what they actually did... which was not pass a 4 page bill that basically just said "Congress officially agrees with the court's ruling on abortion and it lines up with these powers we have, no backsies" that would have prevented this situation that they explicitly anticipated

Virtually everything you've posted in defense of the Democrats tonight has boiled down to the same "they did the best they could, and I know they couldn't have done better because they didn't do it" circular reasoning

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Morbidly curious to see just how much influence and power the film industry, Coca-Cola, delta and salesforce actually have in Georgia.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

Why.

Congress consistently polls in the low teens in approval polls, if a body that's never able to do anything is so popular why is it so hated. It seems like whatever they're doing now is the least popular thing possible

Maybe people would like congress more if it actually had the power to do poo poo other than pour gazillions of dollars into Raytheon's profits. It's a thought.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Why.

Congress consistently polls in the low teens in approval polls, if a body that's never able to do anything is so popular why is it so hated. It seems like whatever they're doing now is the least popular thing possible

Maybe people would like congress more if it actually had the power to do poo poo other than pour gazillions of dollars into Raytheon's profits. It's a thought.

This is one of those statistics that sounds great about how Congress sucks and nobody likes them until you realize that even in the worst years 87% of Congress is reelected. People "hate" congress but love their individual Congressperson.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is one of those statistics that sounds great about how Congress sucks and nobody likes them until you realize that even in the worst years 87% of Congress is reelected. People "hate" congress but love their individual Congressperson.

Does that mean they actually like the obstruction? Or does it just mean that for some reason people think the guy they voted for is the one trying to get stuff done and it's all the other clowns loving it up (those clowns!)

Also I'm not sure an 87% reelection rate is evidence of a functioning democracy especially when voters are so frustrated by the government as a whole. If incumbents keep getting reelected yet almost everyone is unhappy with what the government is doing, is that democracy?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Here's a pretty frequent sentiment I get from all sorts of demographics. The individual expresses lack of faith in our systems leaders or trajectory. They then suggest "if only X", as if it was so simple one policy or leader could correct it, as if their job as an individual was done. It's a captured, won game, if all we can do is vote for one of the two parties we've already lost. The longer we kick the can the worse it will be.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Does that mean they actually like the obstruction? Or does it just mean that for some reason people think the guy they voted for is the one trying to get stuff done and it's all the other clowns loving it up (those clowns!)

Also I'm not sure an 87% reelection rate is evidence of a functioning democracy especially when voters are so frustrated by the government as a whole. If incumbents keep getting reelected yet almost everyone is unhappy with what the government is doing, is that democracy?

To some degree I would say conservative voters on some level either like the dysfunction or obstruction.

As for the 2nd point, again its a hard question to answer. I guess a better(?) statistic to use is how many people are challenged every year or primaried every year. My broader point here is that people assume their frustrations is CLEARLY the same frustration everyone feels. And we know that is not the case.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

FizFashizzle posted:

Morbidly curious to see just how much influence and power the film industry, Coca-Cola, delta and salesforce actually have in Georgia.

I don't think it really matters in this case, abortion law doesn't impact their bottom line, and so there's not much of a reason for them to put much of a stake in the issue. They have quite a bit of sway in culture war battles that can affect their profits (like being pro-gay marriage makes them money from wealthier LGBTQ types), but not standing in the way of an abortion ban probably won't hurt them as much as being seen as baby murderers would. Speaking cynically, that is.

BRJurgis posted:

Here's a pretty frequent sentiment I get from all sorts of demographics. The individual expresses lack of faith in our systems leaders or trajectory. They then suggest "if only X", as if it was so simple one policy or leader could correct it, as if their job as an individual was done. It's a captured, won game, if all we can do is vote for one of the two parties we've already lost. The longer we kick the can the worse it will be.

I think this is because the alternative is largely unthinkable to most people. There is a tendency among people (all people, not just liberals) to use the tools that are already available to them to solve the problems that appear before them because it's significantly easier to try to apply a new use to something than it is to conceive of a new something entirely.

In my view, a broken system can't be used to right itself, and the vested interests refuse to use the mangled thing to do anything other than hurt people for more and more money. If the government only extracts value and adds nothing, then the government just shouldn't exist. I understand that this would likely result in either a revolution and a constitutional convention, and the make up of the people involved in that don't really lead to better outcomes in the short term, but I think ultimately if the US can't be a functioning country, then it shouldn't be one at all.

e: vvvv Yeah, sadly I think you're spot on with that.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 3, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ershalim posted:

I don't think it really matters in this case, abortion law doesn't impact their bottom line, and so there's not much of a reason for them to put much of a stake in the issue. They have quite a bit of sway in culture war battles that can affect their profits (like being pro-gay marriage makes them money from wealthier LGBTQ types), but not standing in the way of an abortion ban probably won't hurt them as much as being seen as baby murderers would. Speaking cynically, that is.

We're gonna see this put to the test in the near future because Alito might as well have outright said that Obergefell v Hodges is another case they can overturn with the same rationale. I would like to think it could make a difference but, well, hard to have confidence right now!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Srice posted:

We're gonna see this put to the test in the near future because Alito might as well have outright said that Obergefell v Hodges is another case they can overturn with the same rationale. I would like to think it could make a difference but, well, hard to have confidence right now!

That would be absolutely horrific if they overturn Obergefell. So many families would be torn apart by that, even if they had state protections.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope you get what you vote for!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

She's voting republican so there's a chance she will get what she voted for.

Can't say the same thing about voting for democrats.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 3, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

VitalSigns posted:

Well Democrats also ran on codifying Roe v Wade in 2020 and won control over the entire government so by your reasoning voters did democratically vote for basic freedoms like a woman's right to choose and the government said "gently caress you no" anyway.

Won control on the barest of margins possible, including 2 people who openly flaunt the fact that they are GOP senators pretending to be Democrats. You can't actually protect Roe v Wade with 48 votes in the Senate.

There is a lot of performative anger like this in this thread where people like to pretend that there is whole host of things that could be done on this issue if everyone just tried hard enough. You can't pass bills 48-52. Anyone in this thread who hasn't figured that out needs to enroll in some remedial pre-school arithmetic.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

To some degree I would say conservative voters on some level either like the dysfunction or obstruction.
Ok but are they 85% of the population? If not, doesn't explain congress' approval rating

Mooseontheloose posted:

As for the 2nd point, again its a hard question to answer. I guess a better(?) statistic to use is how many people are challenged every year or primaried every year. My broader point here is that people assume their frustrations is CLEARLY the same frustration everyone feels. And we know that is not the case.
But then you would still expect something like a 40-60% approval rating depending on which party controls congress. I'm sure my frustrations aren't the same as a Republican's (at least not all of them), but are you trying to tell me that most Republicans and Democrats don't even agree with their own fellow party members on what the government should be doing? So much so that they only like their one representative and not the guy from the next district over, even though they vote the same way in congress? Seems unlikely

And treating the fact that politicians are rarely primaried as evidence democracy is working is rather simplistic, almost circular. How do we judge whether a system is democratic, shouldn't there be more to it than: we had a vote, then the government did things, therefore voters intended for those things to happen.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Won control on the barest of margins possible, including 2 people who openly flaunt the fact that they are GOP senators pretending to be Democrats. You can't actually protect Roe v Wade with 48 votes in the Senate.
But Donald Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 and at the time you needed 60 votes to confirm a judge and Republicans didn't have that, so how was that a popular mandate but 2020 was not

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there was some hope that the left could use this performative anger to discipline the Democrats somehow and push them leftwards, it clearly hasn't worked at all in the past six years so it's not particularly productive

people still do it as a emotional vent which is understandable but there isn't any higher purpose to it at this point - there's no broader left project at the moment

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

The Simpsons correctly identified the systemic issues plaguing the Democratic Party in 1994:

“We can’t govern” is at the root of a lot of the party’s issues. They get control of the White House, the house, and (barely) the senate, but are unable to use their power to change policy. A large portion of that ineffectiveness is due to sheer incompetency (apathy?) on the part of the leaders, who consistently fail to nominate political appointments, address broken CBP policies, and even preserve their own authority to act in a public health crisis. Democratic leaders are bad at their jobs, and outcomes like the repeal of Roe v. Wade are a predictable and sad result of decades of failure to effectively wield power.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Robot Jones posted:

The Simpsons correctly identified the systemic issues plaguing the Democratic Party in 1994:

“We can’t govern” is at the root of a lot of the party’s issues. They get control of the White House, the house, and (barely) the senate, but are unable to use their power to change policy. A large portion of that ineffectiveness is due to sheer incompetency (apathy?) on the part of the leaders, who consistently fail to nominate political appointments, address broken CBP policies, and even preserve their own authority to act in a public health crisis. Democratic leaders are bad at their jobs, and outcomes like the repeal of Roe v. Wade are a predictable and sad result of decades of failure to effectively wield power.

But Pelosi ripped up that speech that one time. If that isn’t governing, I don’t know what is!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Nationa polls don't really mean anything in terms of votes, but it is interesting that Republicans are more than twice as likely to agree with Democrats on abortion than Democrats are to agree with Republican.

Both parties have purged the pro-life and pro-choice members respectively almost entirely. But, the Republicans have done a worse job of purging the pro-choice voters. If they are still voting for Republicans regardless of their feelings, that could be an advantage, though. Since many of the pro-life Dems have been drummed out and they are down to 7% pro-life members. Republicans are at around 12% pro-life, but almost 1 in 5 college educated Republican is pro-choice.

https://twitter.com/SpecialPuppy1/status/1433504884926652417

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

But Pelosi ripped up that speech that one time. If that isn’t governing, I don’t know what is!

Unfair! Feinstein also told a crop of bright-eyed young kids that she'll die fat and rich clutching every scrap of power, and they can all roast or starve in climate hell after that, as they please.

That takes political courage!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sephyr posted:

Unfair! Feinstein also told a crop of bright-eyed young kids that she'll die fat and rich clutching every scrap of power, and they can all roast or starve in climate hell after that, as they please.

That takes political courage!

Do you have the quote or video for that? Sounds wild, but I can't find anything on video.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

VitalSigns posted:

does it just mean that for some reason people think the guy they voted for is the one trying to get stuff done and it's all the other clowns loving it up (those clowns!)

It means that they line up and vote along party lines fired up on rhetoric when the time comes and the rest of the time are fuming about those (((liberals))) or whatever

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Robot Jones posted:

Democrats Won't Govern.

At some point the incompetence excuse only goes so far. Democrats are plenty competent at stymying any sort of leftward movement, for example.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

He probably shouldn't have made people think it was a priority for him if it wasn't

The 2007 version of the FoCA was also ~4 pages long. It was not a significant logistical endeavor to either craft nor to understand. There is no reason to presume it would have meaningfully interfered with the passage of the ACA

This is something you can only say with hindsight. Back in 2009, it was completely reasonable to think that conservatives would be more okay with healthcare than with abortion, and that passing a healthcare bill would increase the Dems' political leverage for other things. That was Obama's whole thing after all - he put too much stock in the power of political strategy and liked to pursue roundabout paths, thinking he could optimize his chances of passing poo poo if he did things in the right order and made the right concessions to the right people at the right time.

Hell, even after the political clusterfuck that was the 2010s, it's still pretty clear that the GOP is more okay with healthcare than abortion. They dropped "repeal Obamacare" after less than a decade, but they've been clinging to "overturn Roe" for 49 years now.

Of course, there's also the fact that neither party is a monolith, and both parties fail to pass major campaign planks even when they win majorities, because the entire party does not vote 100% in lockstep. Even the GOP, for all their famous party discipline while in the opposition, had some big issues trying to pass legislation when they were the ones who held the presidency and both houses of Congress. And in 2009, the Dems' huge majorities included a significant number of conservative-leaning members from districts and states that wouldn't normally go Dem, so party loyalty was especially low. The Dems may have had greater numbers on paper, but those boosted numbers were made up of unreliable members who couldn't be counted on - though that wouldn't have been so big a problem if the GOP hadn't decided to go all-in on "filibuster loving everything the other party suggests no matter what", which was still a rather new strategy back in 2009.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Democrats Won't Govern.

At some point the incompetence excuse only goes so far. Democrats are plenty competent at stymying any sort of leftward movement, for example.

:shrug: in the end motive doesn't matter, the joke is on us and anyone else who elects people who fight for the same thing for their entire career and can't deliver it. At some point the voters should of told a lot of the Democratic party "Take a seat champ, we're going to let someone else make this play"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

:shrug: in the end motive doesn't matter, the joke is on us and anyone else who elects people who fight for the same thing for their entire career and can't deliver it.

That was literally how Republicans got Roe overturned. It took 50 years of failing to deliver over and over (even when they had a majority on the court) and failing to pass any national law banning them (despite campaigning on them for 40 years straight), but now it seems inevitable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The White House finally put out a statement and it’s basically ‘we need more Senators so we can maybe do something about this next year’

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/05/03/statement-by-president-joe-biden-4/

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That was literally how Republicans got Roe overturned. It took 50 years of failing to deliver over and over (even when they had a majority on the court) and failing to pass any national law banning them (despite campaigning on them for 40 years straight), but now it seems inevitable.

Roe is being overturned by their dumb luck that RGB was self-centered enough to die on the bench. If she had put her ego aside to step down under Obama, or even just held out from dying for a few more months, this timeline doesn't occur.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Democrats Won't Govern.

Yet we see democrats governed just fine when there are actually working majorities in plants of individual states.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That just sounds like an explanation for why it would be fairly easy to play defense here but the Democrats still manage to not deliver on what they promise to do to play defense. The Republicans also repeatedly failed to do what they want but were given many opportunities that they managed to eventually get a majority on the court that is allowing them to repeal Roe v. Wade. I think we can also both agree the joke is often on Republican voters.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The White House finally put out a statement and it’s basically ‘we need more Senators so we can maybe do something about this next year’

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/05/03/statement-by-president-joe-biden-4/

So, in other words, they’re going to do gently caress all about it then.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s pretty telling that I can clearly describe the goals of the GOP and measure their progress, wins and losses, but I cannot do the same for Dems.

GOP:
1. End legal abortion
2. End gay marriage
3. Eliminate as much taxation as possible, starting at the top
4. Eliminate the EPA
5. Roll back civil rights protections of all kinds

DNC:
1. Make sure I gotta pay to go to the doctor?
2. Taxes on ???
3. Schmabortion Schmights

It’s the duality of capitalism; one side can lean all the way into the natural end state of a system of economic dominance. The other has to act like it doesn’t support that end state, like pretending the car won’t ever get to the vet’s office, the voter being an unneutered dog in this image.

Both parties work under and for capitalism, which cannot consider human rights or desires in its algorithm, thus one side is constantly hamstrung by fighting (allegedly, but not really) for things the system ultimately finds untenable because of those concepts or frameworks’ incompatibility with capitalism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289?s=20

The nerve of this woman when her mother is openly supporting anti-choice candidates like Henry Cuellar.

It's going to be a long road ahead, but the first step is the old Dem guard getting out of the way and retiring.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2022

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

They did not just fail for 50 years and then deliver finally one day out of the blue. The GOP has been for years delivering for their constituents on this front, and even when failing to make progress they made consistent, visible, public, and often dramatic efforts. Conservatives did not sit idly by voting red and patiently waiting for 50 years, they consistently demanded action, got things for their votes, and attacked those who failed to deliver either action or rhetoric.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

So, in other words, they’re going to do gently caress all about it then.
Yeah they are putting out some platitudes but that’s it

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LegendaryFrog posted:

Out of curiosity, given the amount of effort and time that has been expended by Democrats, including the Biden admin, in trying to pass Build Back Better which has climate change as a core focus... would you say that qualifies as Democrats caring enough about climate change to throw their weight behind the issue?

Biden threw his weight behind congress not waiting for passage of the BBB before passage of the infrastructure bill and that was the one final act that killed BBB, as the House lefties had said it would be, so the answer is no: they wanted a short-term & smaller win rather than strategically tying passage of the infrastructure bill to the BBB first passing the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289?s=20

The nerve of this woman when her mother is openly supporting anti-choice candidates like Henry Cuellar.

What do some or all of our Faves think about this?