Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The one you want is “associate engineer”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Armitag3 posted:

at my place we have associate eng before eng

anything and everything to pay entry levels less

do you also have a graduate program?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

geico is hiring for their graduate program right now and they are starting people around 120k to go through 3 years of training (DC area, possibly in person, also dont work for geico)
50k more than they were starting people with ~1year experience last year

and no, existing devs didnt get any raises but they are totally redoing the job titles and salaries and its stuck in HR right now we swear
(going from engineer -> senior engineer to TDP -> engineer -> senior -> principle -> distinguished)
they were also going to roll Lead into the non-management path but that fizzled since Leads right now just create reports for managers about ~our metrics~ and dont need any kind of dev experience

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

champagne posting posted:

anything and everything to pay entry levels less

do you also have a graduate program?

You betcha

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

tech lead, where you're in charge of a specific product and make sure devs don't gently caress it up

lol I'm a TL for a thing that may actually matter and I'm at the level that's one above new grad. i assume a promo is coming at year end but I may decide to promo myself elsewhere before that happens. although if I make it into September without finding something new I may as well stay for the annual bonus.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jesus WEP posted:

yeah staff is a nebulous term that can mean different things to different orgs but it’s almost always above senior. often you can tell when you’re staff or some staff-like role because it’s when you spend less time coding than you spend helping other people code playing the white collar version of that game where you have to prevent a baby from killing itself

ftfy

the baby in this instance is product owners / business analysts / sales

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
business analysts are two stripes:

product owner junior, where you do a bunch of grunt work and are responsible for some things, it's an onramp to other product roles. product is often where the flameouts from development go, especially if you're capable of talking to other people without wetting yourself.

or

someone who has been at the company for 18 years and has a best grandma ever mug and knows everything about a thing and knows where all the bodies are buried.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

the latter are the most important person for you to know and be on the good side of at any job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“business analyst” is just the default corporate IC title, it can mean anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

“business analyst” is just the default corporate IC title, it can mean anything

for my old team the title was used for hiring a junior person to do all your grunt work for you so you could focus on “strategic” work like being 5 minutes late to your back to back zoom meetings where nothing is accomplished

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

for my old team the title was used for hiring a junior person to do all your grunt work for you so you could focus on “strategic” work like being 5 minutes late to your back to back zoom meetings where nothing is accomplished

meeting volume is one of the main reasons I never pursued product management, averaging 4 hours a day is probably the minimum

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i feel seen

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

yeah a good business analyst is the person who turns my my vague assertions that 'those guys will take care of it' into an actual process map, it's the best.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have worked with one spectacular business analyst who would turn the business’s requirements into an exhaustive list of test cases and boy did it make developing a feature easier

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm working with the worst BA right now. just terrible. stories that make no sense or are outright incorrect with zero indication on how to verify them.

makes me super sad because she replaced an awesome ba/product owner that we lost because we don't pay enough and there was no real way for her to advance to a better role here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm working with the worst BA right now. just terrible. stories that make no sense or are outright incorrect with zero indication on how to verify them.

makes me super sad because she replaced an awesome ba/product owner that we lost because we don't pay enough and there was no real way for her to advance to a better role here

don't hate your worst BA, hate your boss

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

i don't hate her vOv

small shop problems. at least i don't pull 60 hour weeks here

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i have enough hate in my heart for both

also myself

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in a well actually posted:

i have enough hate in my heart for both

also myself

:same:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

i have worked with one spectacular business analyst who would turn the business’s requirements into an exhaustive list of test cases and boy did it make developing a feature easier

I guess “useful product manager” would be a mean job title

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
c-interviewing-s: i keep accidentally saying "high latency" when i mean low latency and i can't seem to stop. googling to try to find a word for the opposite of latency so i can say "high <thing>" instead since i'm apparently too old to get my brain to stop saying the other thing. High frequency almost works but not quite since it implies more about availability than response time.

jesus WEP posted:

i don't think i would ever leave a job with a person like this, this sounds amazing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

High throughput?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

High throughput?

nothing to do w latency and you know it

'high responsiveness'

'high reactivity' although that isn't quite it either

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

High throughput?

i work for an RTOS vendor and this hurts me

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

c-interviewing-s: i keep accidentally saying "high latency" when i mean low latency and i can't seem to stop. googling to try to find a word for the opposite of latency so i can say "high <thing>" instead since i'm apparently too old to get my brain to stop saying the other thing. High frequency almost works but not quite since it implies more about availability than response time.

i don't think i would ever leave a job with a person like this, this sounds amazing

"High customer delight"

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

high speed

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah a good business analyst is the person who turns my my vague assertions that 'those guys will take care of it' into an actual process map, it's the best.

jokes on them my process maps are also vague assertions.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nothing to do w latency and you know it

'high responsiveness'

'high reactivity' although that isn't quite it either

yeah! i think i just need to force myself to stop. there's no good alternative.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

they got promoted away of course

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah! i think i just need to force myself to stop. there's no good alternative.

say "good latency" maybe

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've been doing a few eng manager interviews just to see if i might want to stop being an IC and it has been going pretty okay but I just got interviewed by a manager who was clearly the bad kind and he was visibly annoyed that i wasn't insanely dogmatic about the methodology i use to manage teams

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm not fit for management, i think i'll be an IC forever

started looking a few weeks ago, but i think the majority of my misses are being unable to pass the HR filter. maybe i need to rewrite my CV to be more markety

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't think i would like being a manager but idk. im ambivalent about writing code and moving away from it wouldn't end me

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i don't think i would like being a manager but idk. im ambivalent about writing code and moving away from it wouldn't end me

same! I think the job security is much worse but i've got a good cushion right now so i'm thinking about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

job security is worse being a manager? that seems counterintuitive to me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

i've outlasted four of my managers and none of them were bad at their jobs

(i've had other bad managers that weren't fired though)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
went thru 4 in a year, get on my level

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Being a level 1 manager sounds like it sucks so much rear end. We've gone through about 4 since I have been here, they usually last about a year each although we had a temp manager who lasted like 2 months.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I've outlasted a shitload of managers too hmm 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

im just now realizing that i got this nugget of advice from a developer that was 20 years older than me and survived the dot com boom so it might actually not be true anymore