Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

What do some or all of our Faves think about this?

It’s pretty windy on the board when you’re ripping curls off Billionaire Island, not sure they’ve heard the news yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1521490781638385664

Collins is getting Concerned, folks

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Yet we see democrats governed just fine when there are actually working majorities in plants of individual states.

like establishing an indentured firefighting force in California, or establishing a nursing home murdering your grandparents should face no consequences in New York, or the entire chain of events that lead up to the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

the Democrats' refusal to protect abortion is wholly in line with their governing policy for the last thirty years: "We won't pursue Republican goals quite as aggressively."

A democratic trifecta has been handed an excellent opportunity to demonstrate they can apply the brakes on the descent into fascism, and if the white house's messaging this morning is to be believed, they're not going to even try.

dire poo poo!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

selec posted:

It’s pretty telling that I can clearly describe the goals of the GOP and measure their progress, wins and losses, but I cannot do the same for Dems.

GOP:
1. End legal abortion
2. End gay marriage
3. Eliminate as much taxation as possible, starting at the top
4. Eliminate the EPA
5. Roll back civil rights protections of all kinds

DNC:
1. Make sure I gotta pay to go to the doctor?
2. Taxes on ???
3. Schmabortion Schmights

It’s the duality of capitalism; one side can lean all the way into the natural end state of a system of economic dominance. The other has to act like it doesn’t support that end state, like pretending the car won’t ever get to the vet’s office, the voter being an unneutered dog in this image.

Both parties work under and for capitalism, which cannot consider human rights or desires in its algorithm, thus one side is constantly hamstrung by fighting (allegedly, but not really) for things the system ultimately finds untenable because of those concepts or frameworks’ incompatibility with capitalism.

I feel like I don't even know what dems at the federal level stand for these days besides the simple act of not being Trump. While the Obama era had all sorts of problems (including some that are now coming to roost because they weren't solved then), at least I could tell there was a vision behind what they wanted for the country, quite flawed as it was. But now? Damned if I know.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you have the quote or video for that? Sounds wild, but I can't find anything on video.

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPo34LCss8

See, a GOPer would have told their constituency whatever they wanted to hear, or even believe it themselves. Dems know thatbreaking the souls of their voters into meek acceptance is the One True Path.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They did not just fail for 50 years and then deliver finally one day out of the blue. The GOP has been for years delivering for their constituents on this front, and even when failing to make progress they made consistent, visible, public, and often dramatic efforts. Conservatives did not sit idly by voting red and patiently waiting for 50 years, they consistently demanded action, got things for their votes, and attacked those who failed to deliver either action or rhetoric.

Yeah, they pretty much did. Nobody voted for those justices directly and nobody was voting in 2012 about whether they would be preventing Obama from appointing a judge in 2016. RGB dying right before the election and the Republicans stealing a senate seat are the two direct actions that led to this outcome. Both of those were random acts of luck (Scalia dying in his sleep and RGB's cancer coming back) and not any political planning.

But, if you legitimately believe that millions of babies are being murdered every year, then you are probably a lot more motivated to keep at it for 50 years with no progress than most other people.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

That would be absolutely horrific if they overturn Obergefell. So many families would be torn apart by that, even if they had state protections.

Obergfell isn't going anywhere, what is there to gain by punching a hole full faith and credit clause. I mean, its the calvinball court, but letting California and New York write the legislation for the country doesn't meet any objectives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sephyr posted:

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPo34LCss8

See, a GOPer would have told their constituency whatever they wanted to hear, or even believe it themselves. Dems know thatbreaking the souls of their voters into meek acceptance is the One True Path.

She didn't actually say anything you quoted in the original post. It sounded much more wild. She just did the generic "I've been doing this for 30 years and I like my plan better. You kids will understand some day."

I was very hyped up to see a video where:

quote:

Feinstein also told a crop of bright-eyed young kids that she'll die fat and rich clutching every scrap of power, and they can all roast or starve in climate hell after that, as they please.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tnega posted:

Obergfell isn't going anywhere, what is there to gain by punching a hole full faith and credit clause. I mean, its the calvinball court, but letting California and New York write the legislation for the country doesn't meet any objectives.

This strikes me as hopelessly naïve. They are absolutely working to overturn Obergefell, and we know this because they've said as much.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yes, you're right. And Manchin is right that he never promised to support BBB, and frankly he probably would have voted against the whole thing if they had linked the two bills. Personally, I would have been fine with that because the infrastructure bill was loving terrible and will actually worsen our infrastructure rather than improve it.

Yeah, good point about Manchin likely opposing the vote on infrastructure first.

Why do you think the infrastructure bill was so bad, and will worsen our infrastructure? Because of its overemphasis on driving & roads, or because of something else?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tnega posted:

Alito has said that Obergfell can be repealed under the same logic so unless I have some rock solid evidence that says otherwise, I'm assuming they're going after that next.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

But, if you legitimately believe that millions of babies are being murdered every year, then you are probably a lot more motivated to keep at it for 50 years with no progress than most other people.

Except for there wasn't "no progress" there used to be a 30 year old Republican Pro-Choice organization in the Republican Majority for Choice, and it died 4 years ago because all of their members had gone extinct. There was constant progress, even if it wasn't in the form of judicial of legislative action.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

She didn't actually say anything you quoted in the original post. It sounded much more wild. She just did the generic "I've been doing this for 30 years and I like my plan better. You kids will understand some day."

She literally tells them there is no way to pay for it. So at the very least she took a bunch of hopeful kids who don't want to die from climate crisis and lied to their faces, you know, like a loving rear end in a top hat would.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yes, you're right. And Manchin is right that he never promised to support BBB, and frankly he probably would have voted against the whole thing if they had linked the two bills. Personally, I would have been fine with that because the infrastructure bill was loving terrible and will actually worsen our infrastructure rather than improve it.

About 60% of the infrastructure bill is just money to repair bridges, roads, fiberoptic cables, trains, train tracks, ports, buses, and airports.

How could that "make our infrastructure worse" in any meaningful way?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Arist posted:

This strikes me as hopelessly naïve. They are absolutely working to overturn Obergefell, and we know this because they've said as much.

Naïve? Sure. But what does that world look like? You instantly have a circuit split over who is and is not legally married, and if you don't have to accept another state's marriage license, why do you have to accept their driver's license.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Do you not understand subtext?

She's literally lecturing children "You come in here and say it's my way or the highway... I know what I'm doing... maybe people should listen a little". "there's no way to pay for it"

When they plead that they are the ones that will be impacted "here's my triangulated plan". I think the subtext there meets the OP's reading just fine.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 3, 2022

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Srice posted:

Alito has said that Obergfell can be repealed under the same logic so unless I have some rock solid evidence that says otherwise, I'm assuming they're going after that next.

The draft does have a sentence saying something to the effect of "This ruling only applies to abortion", but that's basically a "Here's how to get rid of Obergfell and Lawrence" guide that lays out exactly what kind of arguments to use in a SCOTUS case removing the rights of same-sex couples.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tnega posted:

Naïve? Sure. But what does that world look like? You instantly have a circuit split over who is and is not legally married, and if you don't have to accept another state's marriage license, why do you have to accept their driver's license.

I'm telling you now, the right does not care about any of that. Their only goal is energizing their base with wanton cruelty, and this is how they do that

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Tnega posted:

Wow sounds bad! Doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Failing empires always succumb to chaos like this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Except for there wasn't "no progress" there used to be a 30 year old Republican Pro-Choice organization in the Republican Majority for Choice, and it died 4 years ago because all of their members had gone extinct. There was constant progress, even if it wasn't in the form of judicial of legislative action.

That's progress within the ranks of the party (which is still not actual legal progress) and not tangible progress on stopping babies from dying. They basically won no victories over and over for 20 years, then won a small victory in 1991, and then no major victory until (possibly) 2022. I agree with you that there was non-legislative progress, but we were specifically talking about a timeline for how long it should take a group achieving their stated political goals before you give up on them.

The original person was saying that after two years of failing to deliver something, they can't be trusted to ever do it. But, that is basically the opposite case for the single-issue abortion voters. They just kept electing people and running their heads into walls for small or no victory for decades and still (probably) pulled it out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nationa polls don't really mean anything in terms of votes, but it is interesting that Republicans are more than twice as likely to agree with Democrats on abortion than Democrats are to agree with Republican.

Both parties have purged the pro-life and pro-choice members respectively almost entirely. But, the Republicans have done a worse job of purging the pro-choice voters. If they are still voting for Republicans regardless of their feelings, that could be an advantage, though. Since many of the pro-life Dems have been drummed out and they are down to 7% pro-life members. Republicans are at around 12% pro-life, but almost 1 in 5 college educated Republican is pro-choice.

https://twitter.com/SpecialPuppy1/status/1433504884926652417

Anyone have a rough idea on the cross tabs for people that want Roe overturned but are OK with free birth control?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you don't like Republican appointed judges overturning human rights and still don't see why you have to vote for Democrats, which is literally the only thing that keeps Republicans out of power, then you're the biggest loving idiot in the world and should get hosed, forever, end of discussion, sorry.

Go out in November and vote for Democrats you loving dipshits

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Arist posted:

I'm telling you now, the right does not care about any of that. Their only goal is energizing their base with wanton cruelty, and this is how they do that

cat botherer posted:

Wow sounds bad! Doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Failing empires always succumb to chaos like this.

But the violence is on the frontier! That's what the frontier is for!
If my choices are between believing that there is a path forward that doesn't involve violent overthrow of the government and :dehumanize:, forgive me for doing the former.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone have a rough idea on the cross tabs for people that want Roe overturned but are OK with free birth control?
If I had to guess, those who don't like abortion but also think those kind of people have too many kids.

edit:

Mellow Seas posted:

If you don't like Republican appointed judges overturning human rights and still don't see why you have to vote for Democrats, which is literally the only thing that keeps Republicans out of power, then you're the biggest loving idiot in the world and should get hosed, forever, end of discussion, sorry.

Dems had plenty of chances to codify Roe and prevent this, but they didn't. Voting didn't work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey you know how when Republicans say one thing but we all know it actually means something way worse? Like when they say that they support "family values" but we all know in their heart of hearts that they want to send gay people to camps? That's what's going on here too. Feinstein doesn't have to literally say that she wants to die in a sarcophagus made of pure gold and diamonds while the children choke on dust that used to be rivers, but that's the message she is giving them. She doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BiggerBoat posted:

Not that specific question. But, I found a poll from a few years ago that said that 78% of pro-life people don't think birth control is immoral. That doesn't mean they support free birth control for kids or in general, though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm figuring out how we can move to Texas so that I can vote for Cuellar and protect his seat and help turn the state blue.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cat botherer posted:

If I had to guess, those who don't like abortion but also think those kind of people have too many kids.

edit:

Dems had plenty of chances to codify Roe and prevent this, but they didn't. Voting didn't work.
No they didn't. You're loving stupid. Vote for Democrats, idiot.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

How many Democrats do I need to vote for before someone on the council of unelected law wizards dies of old age and can be replaced? What guarantees do I have when the Republicans try to steal another seat that Democrats won't roll over and let them have it?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm figuring out how we can move to Texas so that I can vote for Cellar and protect his seat.
Eat poo poo, you're so loving stupid, Jesus Christ. Like, you know you're way, way, way stupider than the other posters here, right? Does that not bother you?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bishyaler posted:

How many Democrats do I need to vote for before someone on the council of unelected law wizards dies of old age and can be replaced? What guarantees do I have when the Republicans try to steal another seat that Democrats won't roll over and let them have it?
Hillary winning in 2016 would've been sufficient you loving garbage cretin

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They did not just fail for 50 years and then deliver finally one day out of the blue. The GOP has been for years delivering for their constituents on this front, and even when failing to make progress they made consistent, visible, public, and often dramatic efforts. Conservatives did not sit idly by voting red and patiently waiting for 50 years, they consistently demanded action, got things for their votes, and attacked those who failed to deliver either action or rhetoric.

Yeah that's one of the keys I bet, they kept their voters fired up by constantly passing laws over and over even when it was pointless and those laws never went into effect because of the court, then they pointed their voters at the court "see we delivered for you, but the court took it away, give us the court"

Meanwhile we can't even have a vote to protect Roe v Wade because it won't do anything so what's the point and anyway some legislators want to play both sides so it would be unsporting to force them to go on the record for or against the issue. As well got to protect the caucus so anyone who challenges an anti-choice Dem in a primary gets blacklisted

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mellow Seas posted:

Do you have a plan to resolve this that doesn't involve a time machine?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mellow Seas posted:

No they didn't. You're loving stupid. Vote for Democrats, idiot.
Obama promised to immediately work codify Roe vs. Wade upon entering office, and he had a filibuster-proof majority (even though you really only need 50). Never did. See also the beginning of the Clinton administration. Since you are resorting to base insults on people criticizing Dems, it sounds like you don't have much of an argument.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

If I'd quoted I'd have used, you know, quotation marks.

It was still tactless and a good example of how establishment dems will move the heavens to crush any hint of grassroots/base action. Don't you dare think anything is possible, kids! Bow before the orthodoxy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd like to suggest that if you think getting people to vote for Democrats is as important as you say, you work on your rhetorical techniques for convincing them. The endless haranguing is not persuasive and is in fact a huge turnoff! This is upsetting stuff, but your feelings aren't any more valid than the way the rest of us feel about capitalism generally. I suggest reading Omelas for some additional perspective.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Do you have a plan to resolve this that doesn't involve a time machine?

Yes. Vote for Democrats. loving Jesus Christ. You guys think this is some kind of complicated 3D chess match. JUST VOTE FOR THE PARTY THAT DOESN'T OPENLY WANT TO BAN ABORTION.

Harold Fjord posted:

I'd like to suggest that if you think getting people to vote for Democrats is as important as you say, you work on your rhetorical techniques.
Nothing I post matters here, and also gently caress you

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

Imagine how unlikeable your candidate and how awful your platform needs to be to lose to a buffoon like Trump. Once you've done that, tell me this isn't also the Democrats' fault.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tnega posted:

If my choices are between believing that there is a path forward that doesn't involve violent overthrow of the government and :dehumanize:, forgive me for doing the former.

I understand but also have bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes. Vote for Democrats. loving Jesus Christ. You guys think this is some kind of complicated 3D chess match. JUST VOTE FOR THE PARTY THAT DOESN'T OPENLY WANT TO BAN ABORTION.
People did, but it turns out Dems didn't care enough to protect abortion rights. What is your response to that aside from freaking out over people besmirching the name of Pelosi?