Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

has anyone done a disco elysium hack of everyone is john btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mellonbread posted:

The best premise I ever saw for a Trek game was that post about the Third Man style adventure on occupied Cardassia. Occupation rules require every troubleshooter team to have at least one Romulan, one Klingon, one Cardassian and one Federation officer, and together you go around putting out fires in the wreckage of the Dominion War. Leftover Jemadar, Vorta carving out their own fiefdoms, Ferengi weapons merchants buying up all the war surplus they can get their hands on to resell on backwater planets. The race to secure loose WMDs left behind by the major powers. Klingons emptying whole occupied cities as slave labor. Romulans scooping up Cardassian experts in biogenic warfare. Renegade Federation officers who never want to stop killing Breen.

Plutonis posted:

has anyone done a disco elysium hack of everyone is john btw?

These are great ideas.

So some news from the 3D printing/miniature industry. MyMiniFactory is a storefront for 3D sculptors to sell their STL files for miniatures to individuals who have a 3D printer so they can print miniatures from the STL files.

Problem is, not everyone has a 3D printer, or the techniques and materials to make a good printed miniature. Enter only-games.co, a company that provides 3D printing services for STL files and can distribute the products worldwide. MyMiniFactory recently aquired the parent company of only-games.co and now plans to offer 3D printing and delivery of any of the STL files they offer, on demand.

The press release is here

Also, previous to this acquisition, Modiphius partnered with only-games.co to provide print on demand miniatures for two of their STL files and I believe they are revving up to release more of their STLs as print on demand miniatures. Right now you can get the Fallout Vault Tec Poster Girl or Achtung Cthulhu Nachtwolfe Sturmtroopers if your heart desires, here. Specifically I expect more Skyrim and Fallout miniatures from Modiphius' miniature wargames line.

I also found, floating around the internet, a great blog piece describing the economics of 3D printing miniatures and where the trajectory of the field is headed. It was quite interesting. https://bam.kalzumeus.com/archive/payments-and-plastic-in-the-fantasy-supply-chain/

Poking around the subscription portion of only-games.co (I was looking for more dudes with guns for the scifi solo wargame 5 Parsecs from Home)
I found a subscription for $10 or $20 a month that gets you 4 or 10 physical miniatures a month, at least this month.

https://only-games.co/pages/zbs-miniatures-subscription

ZBS miniatures' current offerings this month are demon dudes with guns and swords that look like they could fill in as Dark Eldar if you squinted at them.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Cold City might be a good system for a DS9 Third Man campaign. Short adversarial campaigns where trust is an invaluable and dangerous commodity. Every character has the job they share with their colleagues, a secret mission for their government, and lastly a personal secret obsession.

Maybe your Federation envoy is ostensibly here to prevent weapons trafficking, but has secret orders to bury evidence of human sympathizers that sold weapons to the Dominion. And more than that, he needs to get his hands on the cardie that killed his sister.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is there a blades in the dark thread? Sprung for the paper version, I didn't realise how different it was from a standard *world game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

DS9 troupe system TRPG
STA has a built in troupe system.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Is there a blades in the dark thread? Sprung for the paper version, I didn't realise how different it was from a standard *world game.

There is! You can find it here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

I would hesitate to call it a PbtA game at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If we were doing some kind of taxonomy of RPG systems it’d deffo be in the order PbtAdae, but yeah in terms of an elevator pitch it’d seem outright misleading to just call it a *World game.

It’s a PbtA game in the same way a wolverine is a mustelid : technically true, but you don’t look at the giant stout hate-badger and think “yeah that’s basically just a ferret.”

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, no, you don't come across as hostile, I just don't understand your perspective at all. In particular I found Tenar to be incredibly passive, especially in the later stories where she's a central character(it feels like every chance she has to go and do something, she sits at home instead until at the very end things are fixed without her intervention). Ged is kind of the exception in that he's the one character who goes out and does things and where his poking around doesn't feel framed as bad(...mostly, at least). There's another female protag whose name eludes me who feels almost like she's about to be important and pro-active but then at the eleventh hour a deus ex machina just kind of yanks the carpet out from underneath it all.

And like, at least one of the later stories felt very much "all of magic and other human attempts to change the status quo were unnatural mistakes"-vibe.

I am entirely down with an RPG based around your perspective "go explore, be curious, but do not get into punching fights with everything that moves and breathes, you morons, perhaps try talking" but that to me feels like a narrow part of the Earthsea stories I read.

Also perhaps I misframed it, but to me when something is set in a literary universe, what the main characters get up to feels, to me, like it usually frames the focus of the setting, the stakes and what's possible in the setting. Like if every main character in a book series is a swashbuckling slaughterman, then I do not think: "Ah, yes, an excellent setting wherein to be a farmer or perhaps a quiet monk who lives in a box." What succeeds and fails for them establishes the tone of the setting, whether negotiated compromises are even possible with the Blorg, whether players need to be careful because they fall down after one shot or whether they, like Trunk Slabmeat, can eat fifty Blorg arrows without flinching.

Fascinating. Again I've only read 1-4, but I'd not describe Tenar as somebody who just waits around. I'd say the things that you described are her cover while she goes through a very profound journey, where she continuously manipulates and misleads and undermines authority figures until they fully fail. I'd be surprised if later books were simple deus ex machina stories because, well, I think Le Guin's philosophy has a much much weirder understanding of what power is and what it means to wield it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know I am raging against the dying light here but I'd say PBTA is very firmly a PbtA and very firmly not an AW-hack, cuz those are very different terms. Firebrands is a canonical PbtA game and it's less AW-like than BitD.

The man himself I think can describe it better than I could:

https://lumpley.games/2019/12/30/powered-by-the-apocalypse-part-1/

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Blades in the Dark is a PbtA game in the sense that D Vincent and Meguey Baker use the term, i.e. "you were influenced by Apocalypse World somehow in making this game" but in terms of pure mechanical difference from something like Apocalypse World or Monsterhearts it's split off into its own family, Forged in the Dark.

See also games under the 'Belonging outside Belonging / No Dice No Masters' family which are a similar offshoot, starting with Dream Askew inspired by Apocalypse World but starting their own families with games like Henshin and Good Society.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The way the position and effect get negotiated from scratch for every move reminds me more of Fate than AW, honestly. PbtA games seem to define their core moves much more strictly than Blades does.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Siivola posted:

The way the position and effect get negotiated from scratch for every move reminds me more of Fate than AW, honestly. PbtA games seem to define their core moves much more strictly than Blades does.

Blades in the Dark only has one core move, 'do something that shouldn't auto-succeed', which the GM interprets the result of using one single 'fail, partial success, success, crit' table.

It's just that that one move has varying bonuses depending on the action rating used.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Blades in the Dark only has one core move, 'do something that shouldn't auto-succeed', which the GM interprets the result of using one single 'fail, partial success, success, crit' table.

It's just that that one move has varying bonuses depending on the action rating used.
In a weird incident of parallel evolution, Call of Cthulhu also has that move.

Realizing this felt quite odd, but it's led me to enjoying busted old games from the seventies a lot more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Siivola posted:

Realizing this felt quite odd, but it's led me to enjoying busted old games from the seventies a lot more.

A shitload of modern game design is basically re-examining the basics and realising how much unnecessary complexity was piled on to make the system look fancy.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of modern game design is basically re-examining the basics and realising how much unnecessary complexity was piled on to make the system look fancy.

This actually made me think of a reddit thread I read last night where someone was looking for a “crunchy game that felt more modern” than most traditional equivalents. I’m starting to wonder how possible it is to thread the needle between meaningful crunch and crunch for crunch’s sake.

I used to be able to look at something like Pathfinder 1e’s core rulebooks and get excited, but now anything above 400 pages makes me tired and frustrated just thinking about reading them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gray Ghost posted:

This actually made me think of a reddit thread I read last night where someone was looking for a “crunchy game that felt more modern” than most traditional equivalents. I’m starting to wonder how possible it is to thread the needle between meaningful crunch and crunch for crunch’s sake.

I used to be able to look at something like Pathfinder 1e’s core rulebooks and get excited, but now anything above 400 pages makes me tired and frustrated just thinking about reading them.
A big part of that is locking down what "crunch" is and that is, ironically enough, a very tummyfeels based distinction.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A story I like to tell a lot is that, when I worked in recruiting, if you wrote a job posting honestly, there would usually be only 1-2 requirements. You'd add a bunch more requirements because that made it "look like" a real job posting. Job postings are a genre of writing and have mandatory conventions to fit into the genre that frequently do not serve the goal of finding qualified candidates. Older game design I think frequently also fell into this.

(and tbh I think many modern games, BITD included, fall into this).

Gray Ghost posted:

God if that ain't a mood. Though for me its probably closer to like 100 or so pages. I think it was Promethean that broke me - I was so excited reading the rules and I've loved the campaign I've run of it, but it was so frustrating to finish such a huge loving tome of a book and then get to the table and realize that the rules were contradictory often enough that not only did we have rules disputes at the table over those rules, but nearly every other rule felt impossible to be confident about, and now the idea of reading an RPG book that has rules more complex than Fiasco gives me the same sensation as being told to play a JRPG that's over 100 hours long: I can tell it would have excited me when I was a teenager, but as a middle aged man it just makes me go "ugggggggggggggh."

And I want to get into Changeling, because I want to know what the Changeling fans are getting out of it, but every time I try and read it I just kind of go "uggggggh"

Tulip fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 3, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

bewilderment posted:

It has "playbooks" which is a fairly PbtA-distinctive term, and while it refers to "actions" and "special abilities" instead of "moves" the text structure is similar with an action for each skill and special ones for the playbook.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tulip posted:

God if that ain't a mood. Though for me its probably closer to like 100 or so pages.
Yeah same. I've been reading a lot of quick starts and beginner box games, and it's pretty fascinating how "light" some huge tomes become when you cut it down to only the load-bearing bits. Sometimes it really works, sometimes the omissions turn out to be important, and sometimes it turns out the core game kinda honks and it's difficult to imagine any add-on rules could fix it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cinematic Unisystem may be one of the best crunch to ease of play systems. Not a ridiculous amount of skills, stats are easy to understand, enough dice rolling but not ridiculous amounts, Drama Point system is wonderful. The Interlok system (Mekton/Cyberpunk) is pretty drat good as a base to build off of too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bewilderment posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but are you equating a "move" in PBTA to a core die mechanic? Most games only have one core mechanic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halloween Jack posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but are you equating a "move" in PBTA to a core die mechanic? Most games only have one core mechanic.

It's just an argument about abstraction levels. AW also only has one core move by this standard (and if anything more unambiguously, since the rules say that if you aren't sure what the move is, just improvise with "act under fire," while BitD has at least three forms of rolls that work differently than basic rolls: long-term projects, resistance, and vice).

Siivola posted:

Yeah same. I've been reading a lot of quick starts and beginner box games, and it's pretty fascinating how "light" some huge tomes become when you cut it down to only the load-bearing bits. Sometimes it really works, sometimes the omissions turn out to be important, and sometimes it turns out the core game kinda honks and it's difficult to imagine any add-on rules could fix it.

yeah this is a good experiment, esp if you're going to run a long game in a campaign to ask yourself "ok how well do i really understand these rules"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Dear god, Pathfinder 2e is so demoralising in that regard. Hundreds of pages of crunch and only a few optimal options that lead to the same play out every time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

hyphz posted:

Dear god, Pathfinder 2e is so demoralising in that regard. Hundreds of pages of crunch and only a few optimal options that lead to the same play out every time.
If the optimal options are within like, two or three pips on a d20 of the second-best options, you can't actually tell the difference unless you keep meticulous track of your attack rolls throughout several characters' careers.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Siivola posted:

If the optimal options are within like, two or three pips on a d20 of the second-best options, you can't actually tell the difference unless you keep meticulous track of your attack rolls throughout several characters' careers.

In PF2e? Yea, you absolutely can.

PF2e has a degree-of-success mechanic where you crit if you roll 10 above the DC on a skill check or attack roll. That means that a +2 bonus can make a massive difference - it's critting 10% as often. Default crit behaviour is double damage, so that's 10% more damage. This would be good as a method to make to-hit bonuses more meaningful, but that's only default crit behaviour, and some weapons have enhanced options on crit, some of which can give further bonuses. So that +2 can be huge, especially when combined with bonuses from other sources.

Basically, they went all-in on trying to avoid caster supremacy, which is a good idea, but ends up meaning that simply wailing on the enemy for large damage numbers tends to be the optimal strategy for everything.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Also, anyone know about the Blade Runner RPG that Free League are soliciting? Seems to fall in the category of "good idea but I can't see how it works"..

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Siivola posted:

Push all your non-combat rolls (a 7E addition, I think) and it will feel even more like that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tulip posted:

It's just an argument about abstraction levels. AW also only has one core move by this standard (and if anything more unambiguously, since the rules say that if you aren't sure what the move is, just improvise with "act under fire," while BitD has at least three forms of rolls that work differently than basic rolls: long-term projects, resistance, and vice).
Oh, okay, I get that. If everything is just a skill roll that works the same way, the whole experience feels kinda flat. Common problem in games that introduce "social combat" that's just a simpler combat system rolling different skills.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Siivola posted:

My experience is all with 1e, but a difference of two pips is definitely noticeable over the course of even a single adventure, let alone the lifetime of a character. I'm thinking of the first or second game I ever played, as the pregen barb, when I actually read the character sheet in detail and realized the ultra-greatsword she started with was giving a -2 chance to hit to the final attack calculation. I swapped it out for a weapon dropped by a monster, and suddenly I was able to hit things reliably instead of whiffing repeatedly.

If the AC of creatures is roughly pegged to an expected chance-to-hit on the part of player characters, a small difference in your attack bonus can make a big difference in overall play experience.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, okay, I get that. If everything is just a skill roll that works the same way, the whole experience feels kinda flat. Common problem in games that introduce "social combat" that's just a simpler combat system rolling different skills.

Yeah, I mean if you're talking about the nitty-gritty of game design it's an excessive level of abstraction. Like when you're designing a bridge there's a level of abstraction where you're just going "where and why should we try to cross this gap" and there's a level of abstraction where you're going "how many rivets do we need for the predicted traffic" and they'll have different vocabularies and so on. AW can be basically reduced to "act under fire" and BitD can be described as just "action rolls and resistance rolls," but that's not going to get you very far at the table if you don't talk about what "actions" are covered by "action rolls."

If you're looking to design or even critique a game and you've got the theme I think it's fair to work at that level of abstraction imo an the question of like, games taxonomy is pretty friggin abstract.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gray Ghost posted:

in the context of a game that has, at least, "local" win conditions (e.g. combat encounters), complexity is like a budget. you're trying to achieve maximum depth for as little complexity and bookkeeping as possible.

there's no easy way to summarize what to do to achieve this since this is basically what "game design" means, but a good and nearly-universal start is moving away from systems that emphasize making the correct decisions at character creation (a one-time decision that really only checks knowledge; you could just look up a guide and be all set) instead of in play (target prioritization, resource management, risk / reward, all that good poo poo)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 3, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Siivola posted:

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as Fate, but yeah. Maybe it's a result of finally reading through AW, I'd expect a PbtA game to be pretty clear on which one move is triggered by the fiction. I also expect consequences to be much tighter and clearer than in Blades.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hyphz posted:

Also, anyone know about the Blade Runner RPG that Free League are soliciting? Seems to fall in the category of "good idea but I can't see how it works"..

The Year Zero system was adapted very successfully (imo) to Alien, so I'm watching it based on that. I want some details on the investigation mechanics and how they're going to handle unaware replicants before I'll pull the trigger. I'll only be getting PDFs if I do, so no rush for the early bird thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Siivola posted:

Even in a raw 1d20 rollover system having 3 less to-hit will be missing an extra 1 in 7. That's something you'll notice over a session. Hell, it's something you'll notice over a combat.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

mellonbread posted:

My experience is all with 1e, but a difference of two pips is definitely noticeable over the course of even a single adventure, let alone the lifetime of a character. I'm thinking of the first or second game I ever played, as the pregen barb, when I actually read the character sheet in detail and realized the ultra-greatsword she started with was giving a -2 chance to hit to the final attack calculation. I swapped it out for a weapon dropped by a monster, and suddenly I was able to hit things reliably instead of whiffing repeatedly.

If the AC of creatures is roughly pegged to an expected chance-to-hit on the part of player characters, a small difference in your attack bonus can make a big difference in overall play experience.

Second edition fixed that first example at least, you get a penalty to Dex-related stuff like AC with giant weapon barbarians but no impact on your attacks anyway. Pretty sure there's no reduce attack chance for more power mechanics at all in 2E, Power Attack plays with the action economy for damage instead.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am increasingly leaning on "adapted systems" for my crunch. In the same way that getting PbtA or FitD games to the table is easy once you've played one, I'm enjoying Year Zero and 2d20 more and more because they get crunchy in the the thing their game cares about and not in other ways, which makes parsing them so much simpler.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's no easy way to summarize what to do to achieve this since this is basically what "game design" means, but a good and nearly-universal start is moving away from systems that emphasize making the correct decisions at character creation (a one-time decision that really only checks knowledge; you could just look up a guide and be all set) instead of in play (target prioritization, resource management, risk / reward, all that good poo poo)
:hmmyes:

That's a fantastic way of phrasing something I've been noodling on, thank you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

Even in a raw 1d20 rollover system having 3 less to-hit will be missing an extra 1 in 7. That's something you'll notice over a session. Hell, it's something you'll notice over a combat.
I dunno how you guys roll but at my table I'm lucky to make a dozen rolls in an evening. With a sample size that small, I honestly think that no, I can't actually tell whether I'm just rolling cold or forgot to add the Bless modifier again. To realize I'm not on a weirdly long streak, I'd have to notice everyone else is hitting on 8s while I'm here hoping for an 11.

But yeah 3 is an extreme example, I admit it. Maybe don't take -3 to hit in character generation! Unless you get like +4 to damage, maybe that'll be a fair trade. Or you might need +5 hp, who knows? In a balanced system the choice doesn't actually affect your odds of success, just the gamefeel, and in an unbalanced system the juice isn't worth the squeeze of figuring how the game balances and where the monsters' break points are.

Edit: No, I take that back. Lots of games require this baseline level that if you pick the Fighter character you should also buy a sword or whatever, and while I think that's kind of redundant, those games are still okay. But I am done fretting about whether I should have a dice pool of 10 or if I can afford a 9, and I feel like choosing not to care about that stuff has made me happier. Now I'm using all that energy into brewing Magic decks instead, heyoo. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 3, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Welp, the biggest tabletop online marketplace on my country is shutting down.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's a kickstarter for an Old Gods of Appalachia rpg. Anyone know anything about it or find themselves in a position to speculate on its quality? A creepy magical Appalachia is something I've really wanted.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/old-gods-of-appalachia-roleplaying-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i feel the same way about Old Gods of Appalachia that I do about Dawn of the Mexica: goddamn that's a beautiful premise wasted on a terrible mechanical system

e: they have a demo/preview PDF that includes a look at the mechanics, which is a brave move and one i always salute creators for taking... given that demos almost always reduce sales rather than promote them

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2022