Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

if you cant remember "just dont put it in the dishwasher maybe, dickhead" you dont deserve the sacred artfulness of the cast iron pan, the thoughtful and beautiful ceremony of using the utilitarian 15 dollar pan you got at the camping store 12 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

trying a both sides thing out

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

what cast iron folx forget is the other tenet of cast iron: Don't burn your food

I would cast iron, but alas

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what cast iron folx forget is the other tenet of cast iron: Don't burn your food

I would cast iron, but alas

jokes on you, I love the taste of fresh carbon

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Smythe posted:

im getting thin again.............

congrats. how big a deficit you running

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

yesterday I ate 1x sardines on crackers and today I’ve had a salad and will prob eat 1x chicken breast tonight lol. one weird trick big diet industry doesn’t want you to know: don’t eat. simple.

idk if a joke or not, but please don't starve yourself to lose weight an eating disorder is not a good way to be healthy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that sounds like a thousand calories, not exactly starving oneself

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xaris posted:

lol wtf is this poo poo

theres's a big difference between some mythological greek and what ppl used to look like

its a sociological (lots of work, car culture, fear of walking, tons of sugar in everything, cheap processed junk being easier than alternatives when you work all the time, etc.) and pollution problem (microplastics, phtlates and other edcs), not pseudo-science.

i'm sayin that guys like Adolphe Quetelet and Ancel Keys were fuckin weird-rear end cranks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/OrwellNGoode/status/1520839934764064774

i think these types of people fit right in with the nut and seed oil guys

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnimeIsTrash posted:

love to define my gender as "apocalyptic depression"

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Used to know some Alaskan dudes with jobs like that, they're all fuckin' weird from long bouts of isolation.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

loving men, and their jobs. god drat them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Turkish teens and college students do this as part of a “work and travel” exchange program and they tell me they were tricked into doing something that sounded much cooler. others wait tables in upstate New York and poo poo. weird kind of labor arbitrage.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've been thinking about this for days

There's something so loving galaxy brain about proposing that agriculture and city building are done by different civilizations that I can't stop thinking about what is going through this guy's head, like what does he think romans ate

(I mean obviously he thinks they ate factory-farmed beef for every meal cuz he's a reactionary idiot but it's so funny to think about)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Turkish teens and college students do this as part of a “work and travel” exchange program and they tell me they were tricked into doing something that sounded much cooler. others wait tables in upstate New York and poo poo. weird kind of labor arbitrage.

a resort i used to work at would ship in hospitality management majors from south africa for an internship and just make them housekeepers for a year

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

I met a lot of Brazilian au pairs when I lived in the DC area and most of them sounded miserable. 1 was thrilled because she worked with a very wealthy family who would take her on trips and stuff.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tulip posted:

There's something so loving galaxy brain about proposing that agriculture and city building are done by different civilizations that I can't stop thinking about what is going through this guy's head, like what does he think romans ate

(I mean obviously he thinks they ate factory-farmed beef for every meal cuz he's a reactionary idiot but it's so funny to think about)

no man the joke is that stoners are dumb and lazy, you're way overthinking it

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Tulip posted:

it’s a meme not a treatise op

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think you should just laugh at the stupid posts the trad/greek avatar people post on twitter and not try to analyze anything beyond that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think you should just laugh at the stupid posts the trad/greek avatar people post on twitter and not try to analyze anything beyond that

i thought the lol's were clearly implied

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

i remember hearing an old episode of This American Life about european and asian students that did this (in the episode, they were from taiwan, ukraine, and poland) in new york. some of them wanted to work in new york because they knew how awesome NYC was and they wanted to party there. you can imagine their surprise when their work-study program was, in fact, working as a cashier at a gas station in plattekill, new york

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/388/transcript

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Tulip posted:

That's from one of the anarchist zones during the cool zone times isn't it? I think the joke is about how anarchism is stupid which uh to be fair

E: but also putting compost on top of cardboard is a perfectly great way to start a no till garden so gently caress that guy

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 20:31 on May 3, 2022

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've seen this one technique on cooking shows where someone will be heating meat in a cast iron pan, and then out of nowhere they grab another cast iron pan and put it on top of the meat. How does that work, is the upper cast iron already hot, or is it just something you use instead of dumb steak weights?

It looks cool but I don't know when to employ this.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

palindrome posted:

I've seen this one technique on cooking shows where someone will be heating meat in a cast iron pan, and then out of nowhere they grab another cast iron pan and put it on top of the meat. How does that work, is the upper cast iron already hot, or is it just something you use instead of dumb steak weights?

Seems dumb but smash burgers own and especially Oklahoma onion burgs but i just use a spatula, gently caress having to wash a heavy rear end cast iron pan in my tiny sink if i don't have to

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

palindrome posted:

You can also do that with mushrooms. It gives them a meatier texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1nvEd7SDqc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those lil rectangular guys are fine. i use them for bacon and smash burgs. you can pre-heat it or not. they require a lil maintenance so i waffle on whether they're worth it

if i had a slightly smaller skillet to use instead, i probably would. i wouldn't pre-heat that though since you may need to press down on it

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Why would I kill myself with saturated fat by eating a lot of coconuts? This seems like a bad idea?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

palindrome posted:

any type of meat bows up when you cook the bottom of it

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Why would I kill myself with saturated fat by eating a lot of coconuts? This seems like a bad idea?

The coconut people say that medium chain triglycerides are good for your i say stop eating poo poo they tear the jungle down for you loving monster God drat. Eat some loving buckwheat gruel and be happy for it this is a climate crisis

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
apparently one medium coconut a day is almost a person's calorie needs for the day and 5 times the saturated fat lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ever since the white man discovered the coconut prices have been up, i say you all give it up

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ever since the white man discovered the coconut prices have been up, i say you all give it up

Give it up for who? Rupert Holmes? Don't encourage them!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i could really go for some palm oil rn

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Not an avocado oil fan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tulip posted:

Yeah, but, like Rome is good architecture and CHAZ was bad agriculture.

It’s apples to oranges, sure, but one of them is rotten and one isn’t.

They should have just used Diocletian’s cabbages for the alcoholic side, though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't know that ancient rome is the society we really want to emulate but I do think it could have been improved with weed

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

smythe is this u?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

R. Guyovich posted:

congrats. how big a deficit you running

idk maybe around 300? also running a lot. im too stupid to count.

Agean90 posted:

idk if a joke or not, but please don't starve yourself to lose weight an eating disorder is not a good way to be healthy

not sure if eating lunch and dinner counts as starving. but yes agreed

AnimeIsTrash posted:

smythe is this u?

im 5'10" 155 now. also homer has a loving family and i have some succulents. THANK YOU

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i know an alaskan fisher guy who makes his living literally doing the alaska fishing thing 1x per year and he is not only insanely bigoted but also very very stupid and also annoying. IRL. hes actually my friends friend who he met at the dive bar he used to drink at 7 days per week

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Tulip posted:

I don't know that ancient rome is the society we really want to emulate but I do think it could have been improved with weed

some of the earliest known writings about hashish are from egypt, circa 1100 AD, and it was known throughout the muslim world by the 1200s. by 1453, the ottomon empire had conquered constantinople. so, y'know, draw your own conclusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Smythe posted:

idk maybe around 300? also running a lot. im too stupid to count.

it's pretty easy you just need a food scale and a tracker app like cronometer. if you maintain a regular rotation of certain foods tracking becomes very plug and play