Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just thinking about how completely loving insane it is that the Democrats are making no steps at any level to do anything about a potential next Trump presidency. Conservatives have their super hero who finally got Roe v Wade overturned, and probably next Obergefell, and the Democrats aren't doing anything legislatively to counter that. God, they aren't even investigating Trump for all of the insane crimes he brazenly committed in public! You can't even excuse that, they have the Presidency, they have full control of the DoJ and they're just sitting there doing literally nothing

I really can't picture a course of action more specifically geared towards intentionally losing the next presidential election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theCalamity posted:

Last I checked, the Democrats are in control of the senate. The majority leader is Schumer. They run the committees. They have the senate. They have the power.

Not if Joe Manchin doesn't want to, or Kristen Simena, or literally any one single person. the limiting factor is the lack of a big enough majority to ignore the one or two senators and proceed. The challenge is picking up senators that actually want good things. Blue states need to kick out senators that are sitting on their laurels, purple states need to push as hard as they can, and we need to fight in red states even if we lose.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Making someone disappear in the night is not using the bully pulpit, which is what TyrantWD was responding to.

Right but I think we both know The Shortest Path wasn't actually advocating violence against a public figure. They were pointing out that the Executive Branch has the power to make life a lot tougher for thromboses like Manchin, if a president chooses to exercise it. Biden has chosen not to exercise it. You can argue that is or isn't prudent on his part, but it's a pretty deliberate choice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

from the Party of Women to the Party of 'listen, Jack, what do you expect me to do about abortion' in six short years. grim.
The Whigs collapsed in like two election cycles, and were replaced by a Party that actually represented people's views on the fundamental issues of the day. Here's hoping!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Blue states need to kick out senators that are sitting on their laurels,
Okay, but in favour of whom? There's like this whole system that decides who gets to run. Most people are not super plugged into politics and that isn't going to change, so even the desire for massive change isn't necessarily going to propel a good candidate to success if they can't get a campaign off the ground for lack of money.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 3, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

Right but I think we both know The Shortest Path wasn't actually advocating violence against a public figure. They were pointing out that the Executive Branch has the power to make life a lot tougher for thromboses like Manchin, if a president chooses to exercise it. Biden has chosen not to exercise it. You can argue that is or isn't prudent on his part, but it's a pretty deliberate choice.

What power would you suggest Biden wield against Manchin?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

theCalamity posted:

If they don’t have the power to protect others then what’s the point of voting for them?

Because Schumer is only majority leader because a GOP senator cosplays as a Democrat, and gets away with it because the republicans know he is still a republican, and the Democrats feel its better to have someone who will cooperate with you once in blue moon, over someone who will never cooperate with you as long as they live.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

Make his daughter's life hell, for one

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

How are u posted:

Kill him

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Because Schumer is only majority leader because a GOP senator cosplays as a Democrat, and gets away with it because the republicans know he is still a republican, and the Democrats feel its better to have someone who will cooperate with you once in blue moon, over someone who will never cooperate with you as long as they live.

this is not a reason to vote for them. it is an excuse for why they wield no power despite all the sacrifices they have made, ostensibly in service of achieving power.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

How are u posted:

Launch investigations against his pharma exec daughter, use his bully pulpit to support the people protesting outside of his yatch and encourage even more to show up, remove him from committees, call a national prime time oval office address and put the blame squarely on him and Sinema. Launch even more investigations against them to the point that even J. Edgar would blush. LBJ treatment... just do SOMETHING.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How are u posted:

Continue the investigations into his family. Put the screws to him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Senate briefly becomes 49-50 Republican, before becoming 49-51 Republican

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Majorian posted:

No, I don't think we both know that lol. I agree that Biden and the rest of the party should and could be doing more to bring Manchin and Sinema in line, I also absolutely believe that posters on SA literally think Biden could and should have him disappeared in the night and am not going to assume a poster who says explicitly so is using metaphor.

What's this a metaphor for?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am quickly coming to regard "just vote" as the "thoughts and prayers" of our political backslide away from democracy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TyrantWD posted:

That Senator has been voting for Biden judges, including Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, and allowed Biden and the Democratic Party to pass the Infrastructure Investments and Jobs Act as well as the American Rescue Plan. If Manchin had been an actual Republican then Mitch McConnel would be the Majority Leader and none of that would have happened.

Politics is stupid, and complicated, and doesn't always make sense. That's the reality of things.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

TyrantWD posted:

Yes, yes, I know all about Manchin. But do you think the voters know? Again, they may be ignorant but they aren’t stupid. The blame isn’t on them. It’s on the ones who actually hold power. The Dems are in power right now and it’s up to them to use that power. Doing nothing is just going to make people either not vote for them or vote for the GOP

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Because this particular battle was lost for a generation back in November 2016. It may have taken time to resolve, but once it was set in motion, it couldn't be undone.

If the public wants to change their mind, well they are going to have to find a way to keep the GOP out of the WH long enough for enough conservative justices to die. The country will collapse and cease to exists long before you see a conservative minority on the supreme court.

Ok well then the government doesn't carry out the will of the people if the people aren't allowed to change their minds for 40+ years.

I don't see how you can know all this and still think that the government carries out the popular will.

Unless you just define popular will recursively as "whatever the government does" but then autocracy does it just as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am quickly coming to regard "just vote" as the "thoughts and prayers" of our political backslide away from democracy.

Sure, agreed. "Just vote" is nothing. Organizing, being an engaged member of civil society and an advocate for change, and then voting is how we turn this ship around.

I don't ask people to "just vote", I ask them to step the gently caress up and put their time and energy on the line for what they profess to believe in.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How are u posted:

Sure, agreed. "Just vote" is nothing. Organizing, being an engaged member of civil society and an advocate for change, and then voting is how we turn this ship around.

I don't ask people to "just vote", I ask them to step the gently caress up and put their time and energy on the line for what they profess to believe in.

What kind of organizing do you think people should be involved in, exactly?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this is not a reason to vote for them. it is an excuse for why they wield no power despite all the sacrifices they have made, ostensibly in service of achieving power.

The reason to vote for them is that they are not Republicans. That is the only reason you are ever going to get as long as the GOP exists in its current state. Much like the French with Macron, not being a far right lunatic is about all you will get when the other side wants to burn things to the ground. Again, like in France, a lot of people here seem to be up for burning things to the ground, so those people should be glad, became more decisions like the one we just got are about as good as you are going to get short of an actual hot civil war.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

The reason to vote for them is that they are not Republicans. That is the only reason you are ever going to get as long as the GOP exists in its current state. Much like the French with Macron, not being a far right lunatic is about all you will get when the other side wants to burn things to the ground. Again, like in France, a lot of people here seem to be up for burning things to the ground, so those people should be glad, became more decisions like the one we just got are about as good as you are going to get short of an actual hot civil war.

Regardless of the merits of your ideology, no one is ever going to be enthused by it if its justification is "things could always be worse!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Best Friends posted:

If there were 12 more dem senators, wouldn’t those 12 come from more conservative states? So wouldn’t it just be 12 more Joe Manchins?

If so, what is the Democratic Party theory of changing this? How will getting more ‘moderate’ senators do anything? Is the idea that they’ll still appoint pro choice Supreme Court justices? Cause unless you pack the courts (unlikely with even more joe manchins in the senate), that’s a 40 year road, right?

I've always been curious about this, to be honest. Manchin being an untouchable obstructionist because he's a conservative from West Virginia and all you'd ever get instead of him if you booted him out would be a Republican is a known fact. So if you magically conjured 10-12 more democratic senators from other conservative or battleground states, they too would necessarily be largely untouchable because all you'd ever get instead of them if you booted them out would be Republicans. It would be trivially easy for them to form an obstructionist bloc or even participate in a rotating villains scheme and whoops the Blue Dogs are back from the dead and ready to party, baby.

I'm not sure how "VOTE HARDER!!!" is supposed to get around this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/spmaloney/status/1521476369603080193?s=21&t=EjzIavKMipUKjSpdeV4yiA

Yeah, calling your potential voters stupid because they want you to do something substantive after delivering the democrats the senate, Congress, and the White House sure is a smart move

It's a very common political phrase.

"It's the X, stupid" originates from "it's the economy, stupid" regarding James Carville's assessment that the economy was the only thing that mattered in terms of achieving their goal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

A big flaming stink posted:

Regardless of the merits of your ideology, no one is ever going to be enthused by it if its justification is "things could always be worse!"

Yeah, as I pointed out yesterday (I think?), extremely online progressives/leftists aren't the ones who are swinging elections towards Republicans by not turning out to vote. The Dems are losing ground with low-income POCs in key states, among other demographics. That's extremely bad news for the party's electoral prospects; they need a better pitch to voters than just "we're less bad than the Republicans, and that's the best you can possibly hope for in this crumbling anti-democratic political system."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

**things get worse** --> "Why didn't the democrats prevent this" --> don't vote for democrats

Is a cycle I find tiresome and self-fulfilling. I find that holding ground, even if setbacks occur, is just as important if not more so currently than moving forward. taking action that intentionally loses ground makes little sense to me.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, as I pointed out yesterday (I think?), extremely online progressives/leftists aren't the ones who are swinging elections towards Republicans by not turning out to vote. The Dems are losing ground with low-income POCs in key states, among other demographics. That's extremely bad news for the party's electoral prospects; they need a better pitch to voters than just "we're less bad than the Republicans, and that's the best you can possibly hope for in this crumbling anti-democratic political system."

Yes, the Democrats have made many errors and are losing the support of their voting base because of it. they should stop doing that. not voting for the ones that aren't that way seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The thing I struggle with with whether to vote for poo poo Dems is the impact their victory has on primaries. It's very common for sitting politicians not to be primaried at all, and successful primaries are extremely rare. But, if the poo poo Dem loses in the general, it's almost certain there will be a primary for that seat next time. Suppose a seat with a slight D lean. Is it worth putting up with an Republican for a few years, for a chance to get a poo poo Dem out of office and a good one in next time? As opposed to a lifetime seat for that poo poo Dem.

I don't know. Maybe. I'm struggling with this right now for the MN governor race this fall.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Make his daughter's life hell, for one

She's been retired for years and raising the price on your drugs is not illegal.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a very common political phrase.

"It's the X, stupid" originates from "it's the economy, stupid" regarding James Carville's assessment that the economy was the only thing that mattered in terms of achieving their goal.

Oh I understand where it’s from. But the meaning gets changed when you’re saying it to angry and anxious people who want the Democrats to do more with the power that they have. Comes off as condescending to me

Edit: and the tweet is getting ratio’d because people are taking it the same way I did

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 3, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

Ok well then the government doesn't carry out the will of the people if the people aren't allowed to change their minds for 40+ years.

I don't see how you can know all this and still think that the government carries out the popular will.

Unless you just define popular will recursively as "whatever the government does" but then autocracy does it just as well.
What was it Eco said about "the people" being a character which just gets called onstage to play a role in the process?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

How are u posted:

That Senator has been voting for Biden judges, including Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, and allowed Biden and the Democratic Party to pass the Infrastructure Investments and Jobs Act as well as the American Rescue Plan. If Manchin had been an actual Republican then Mitch McConnel would be the Majority Leader and none of that would have happened.

Politics is stupid, and complicated, and doesn't always make sense. That's the reality of things.

All of this together is the Senatorial equivalent of showing up to work on time and not blackout drunk and expecting people to be grateful for that

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kanos posted:

I'm not sure how "VOTE HARDER!!!" is supposed to get around this.
Yeah, even if the Democratic Party was a true progressive powerhouse and even if Progressive voters were organized and on-point, the US Government was designed to allow minority rule. And that's the wall you're going to run into every time and really the heart of the issue. People of Left of Center are not getting out voted, their votes just count less.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

**things get worse** --> "Why didn't the democrats prevent this" --> don't vote for democrats

Is a cycle I find tiresome and self-fulfilling. I find that holding ground, even if setbacks occur, is just as important if not more so currently than moving forward. taking action that intentionally loses ground makes little sense to me.

Holding ground, at this specific moment in time, is compelling because if we can just loving hold ground for another 5-10 years we will start to see Millennials take more and more control over the levers of power in this country, and we'll have a real chance to remake it closer to the way we want it to be. We're on the cusp of a generational changeover that's long overdue.

That can't happen if we no longer have a democracy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SixFigureSandwich posted:

All of this together is the Senatorial equivalent of showing up to work on time and not blackout drunk and expecting people to be grateful for that

I can't fault you for not finding the facts to be personally satisfying, I don't either. But that's the situation we are in. None of those things would be happening if Manchin were actually a Republican. He sucks, and I hate him.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

How are u posted:

Holding ground, at this specific moment in time, is compelling because if we can just loving hold ground for another 5-10 years we will start to see Millennials take more and more control over the levers of power in this country, and we'll have a real chance to remake it closer to the way we want it to be. We're on the cusp of a generational changeover that's long overdue.

I'm sure "Demographics are destiny" will definitely work out this time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

We were at an inflection point. The government carried out the will of the people as it were at the time. Like Brexit, the UK can't decide tomorrow that they want to rejoin the EU on their old terms. That ship has sailed.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

How are u posted:

The power brokers of this country can just find a millennial Dem candidate who has the exact same beliefs as the people in congress now and hook them up to the money hose. The problem of capital controlling the government isn't one that'll be automatically fixed by the passing of time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

Holding for another 5-10 years isn't going to help any of the women that are loving dead because of this ruling.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, the Democrats have made many errors and are losing the support of their voting base because of it. they should stop doing that. not voting for the ones that aren't that way seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Right but the ones that are that way are also the ones largely in control of the direction of the party in Congress and the White House. They certainly are in control of the party in my state (CA), where they've prevented the Democratic supermajority in the legislature from pursuing a host of extremely popular progressive initiatives. So why would I bother voting for any of that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

How are u posted:

Demographics as destiny is a hell of a thing to put all your cards on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

uPen posted:

Holding for another 5-10 years isn't going to help any of the women that are loving dead because of this ruling.

No, of course it won't. It will give us the chance to undo this ruling. Letting the Republicans win in 2024 and literally end democracy will certainly not take us closer to undoing this ruling.