Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

What's wrong with Shattered Galaxy

Is it still around? I played the hell out of that game way back when. Same with Mankind. There were actually a bunch of MMORTS games in the early 00's and then nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Odd Wilson posted:

Reminds me of how in ye olden times than GMs in MMOs would occasionally do fun, on the spot stuff whether it was running some actual event or spawning a world boss where it's not supposed to be.

This would also be a rather neat experience if it was realized correctly.

Back when I was playing EQ shortly after the release of Kunark I was in the Lavastorm Mountains (had to look that up) when it began to snow (which is something it never did in the zone since it was your typical 'fire/lava' MMO zone). There were like 3 'friendly' goblins named things like 'chilly' controlled by DMs who were making lots of silly remarks and giving out some low level gear to people. I still remember it today when that was over 20 years ago so yeah, I would say you were right it was pretty neat.

I seem to remember instances where one of the gods would invade a zone or something but I was never around for that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sachant posted:

Is it still around? I played the hell out of that game way back when. Same with Mankind. There were actually a bunch of MMORTS games in the early 00's and then nothing.

It is still around. Also does foxhole count?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

It is still around. Also does foxhole count?

Sadly Shattered Galaxy is probably too dated to really get back into now. Foxhole is cool but it's still a top down shooter, not really an RTS. Also resets, so not much of a persistent MMO either. Hell of a game though, I should probably drop in for the new war.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Back when I was playing EQ shortly after the release of Kunark I was in the Lavastorm Mountains (had to look that up) when it began to snow (which is something it never did in the zone since it was your typical 'fire/lava' MMO zone). There were like 3 'friendly' goblins named things like 'chilly' controlled by DMs who were making lots of silly remarks and giving out some low level gear to people. I still remember it today when that was over 20 years ago so yeah, I would say you were right it was pretty neat.

I seem to remember instances where one of the gods would invade a zone or something but I was never around for that.

This kind of makes me think of a scenario where an MMO developer hires GMs more like they're Disney theme park actors, paid employees that inhabit the world in an effort to make it seem more dynamic like that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Didn’t matrix online do that a bunch to good effect?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep! They literally killed Morpheus and it was canon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I said come in! posted:

Yep! They literally killed Morpheus and it was canon.

I thought this was a joke but no according to wikipedia Morpheus' canon death happened in The Matrix Online.

When the movies were out before it was fine because the series ended but now its like a Kingdom Hearts thing where huge character deaths happen in media that can no longer be accessed.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

huge character deaths happen in media that can no longer be accessed.

In an MMO concept this rules honestly. You actually had to be there and be a part of it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kedo posted:

If this is true, why have the majority of the murderhobo MMOs released in the past 20 years flopped after a few years? Game studios are notoriously risk averse these days, and 15 years after the release of WoW, most of them are still trying to make WoW because trying anything new or different is dangerous. What's hilarious, is that by continually trying to recreate WoW, all of these studios are guaranteeing their games will flop, but they keep trying it because "that's what the market wants."

The "market" is leaving the genre in droves because other genres are trying new, interesting things. If you think gamers only want violence, how do you explain the popularity of farming or truck driving simulators? I guarantee you if someone released World of Euro Truck Driver tomorrow it would be a smash hit.

MMO players could put their "pissing in a bottle" skills to good use!

Protocol7 posted:

I would love to see what a dungeon equivalent would be like in a trucking MMO, unironically.

Instead of forming a raid group you form a "Freedom Convoy" and instead of a dungeon you head to the nearest seat of government...

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
If I was building an MMO, (true MMO) I would really want to introduce the concept of Pawns into the world to make it more alive. Pawns would be something like Rimworld people who are mostly AI controlled and you can give them a chain of actions to do, like go cut wood, mine stone, create equipment etc. They would also have the brains to take equipment out of your storage as things break. Even just giving the player 5 persistent pawns who continue even when you log out means your little house in the world has activities going on all the time. Pawns could be expanded into traveling from base to base and other stuff after a while as both a solo player or a larger guild.

The player could then take direct control of their pawns and make a little army for attacking things, raiding dungeons or even just carrying supplies from one area to another. I would assume controlling them would be like overlord where you kind of point at stuff and they do there thing based on the AI you give them.

You could make so many game types at the squad level that are just painful at the single player level since everything from basic farming to advanced stuff to maintaining your holdings or even battles become much more about thinking like a squad and not just a solo player. You can also remove a lot of the silly stuff like, "I have to personally cut down how many trees?" and instead care about engaging game play.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

MH Knights posted:

MMO players could put their "pissing in a bottle" skills to good use!

The perfect MMO for Amazon Game Studios

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sachant posted:

In an MMO concept this rules honestly. You actually had to be there and be a part of it.

gw2 tried this and it was a giant disaster because anyone coming later had no idea what's going on with the story and now they're slowly adding lost content back as quests 10 years later because they finally have the playerbase and thus budget to waste on it lmao

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Truga posted:

gw2 tried this and it was a giant disaster because anyone coming later had no idea what's going on with the story and now they're slowly adding lost content back as quests 10 years later because they finally have the playerbase and thus budget to waste on it lmao

Yeah but nobody cares about GW2's story. People are crazy into The Matrix though, or were at the time at least.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kedo posted:

You're conflating "MMO" with "MMORPG" – they're not the same thing even though a lot of people seem to think they are. Just because most games adhere to a certain structure doesn't mean they necessarily must. Taking the Euro Truck Simulator idea a bit further, imagine if you had a European continent where players (or NPCs) were placing buy/sell orders ("quests") for goods in various locations, and players were all driving around the same seamless world fulfilling these orders. Maybe big metropolises are much more difficult to navigate and would require a team of players to plot a route, navigate, and actually drive a truck from A to B (ie. a "dungeon"). A global market driven by thousands of players could help define the price for goods and hence the rewards for taking on certain contracts. A lot of players in one area would create traffic, which would increase the difficulty. You could even have players acting as support services (ie. tow trucks, or "healers" according to MMO archetypes) driving around and helping broken down trucks.

Having a "massively multiplayer online" world could exist for this genre, it just takes a little bit of imagination.

Trucking games have never hooked me, but this sounds rad.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

It was pretty funny when I got to the “living world” season of GW2 and it was just a video about poo poo I’d missed. Glad they’re updating that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Living World, Dead Content

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
How succesful was the launch of the last GW2 expansion? I'm not even sure I saw someone playing it on Twitch. I guess it's out?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

busalover posted:

How succesful was the launch of the last GW2 expansion? I'm not even sure I saw someone playing it on Twitch. I guess it's out?

I've been playing GW2, including the new expac for the last month or so and it feels really active. The game notifies you when you're in a low population instance and will give you a prompt with a small xp boost for agreeing to transfer to a higher population one. Whatever the daily PVE event zone is gets absolutely mobbed at reset time, and I frequently will find Commander players organizing groups to tackle meta events, filling up 50-man groups even for old base game content.

I have never engaged with Fractals or Raids, and I just did my first set of Strikes (10 player mini-raids?) last week. I have no idea what the state of PvP or WvW is currently since I'm not interested in those.

Overall I'd say if you're interested in GW2 now's a great time to check it out or start playing again. There's a 50% off code on the Path of Fire + Heart of Thorns pack available if you have Prime Gaming.

As for the Living World stuff, I don't care much for the story but Living World seasons 3 and 4 seem to add a LOT of new zones, basically being expansions in their own right. LW Season 4(?) also has the Roller Beetle and Skyscale mounts. I have yet to start the huge grind for my Skyscale but I should really get around to doing it.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
GW2 didn't hoover up quite as many ex-WoW players as FFXIV did over the last couple of years but it's certainly doing alright for itself.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
There’s a good game in gw2 but its launch felt like it tried to break with just a few too many mmo design conventions

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

busalover posted:

For Guild Wars 2 people on twitch, my goto person https://www.twitch.tv/laranity they are a full time streamer with a small community that focuses exclusively on guild wars, and occasionally From Software games.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

busalover posted:

ANet posted that it sold better than the previous one over some timeframe and the game itself is doing very well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, GW2's still doing plenty good. It's not my cup of tea, but it's probably in the top 10 as far as currently active MMOs go.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vermain posted:

Yeah, GW2's still doing plenty good. It's not my cup of tea, but it's probably in the top 10 as far as currently active MMOs go.

Clearing the lowest bar imaginable

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Focusing on streaming numbers or total population vs other games isn’t really indicative of whether a game is healthy or not, plenty of MMOs can subsist on lower numbers and it doesn’t affect your gameplay at all. Just play the game and see if the world feels alive and if you can find groups to do content, plenty of smaller games feel way more alive with stronger communities than games like WoW.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recently got into GW2 and the game is super alive. I see huge amounts of people at basically every world boss (even old ones) and just in most areas doing stuff.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I played a bunch last year and it was v alive even before the new expansion. It’s come a long way since launch! I had a lot of fun.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Just started playing GW2 myself a month ago and I can't believe I slept on it for so long lmao

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Something that surprises me a bit is that afaik no game has leaned in to interactive novel/CYOA stuff as a way to do user created content.

Like for all the attempts to give players dev sandbox tools to build levels- which is a huge investment for the devs and then a pretty big hurdle for most players to get a solid grip on- the best you could hope for usually were a few above average stories to cover over the limitations of out of the box set pieces and enemies.

Star Trek Online probably could have done this early on. Also a good way to get less action/violence content in your game.

I spend too much time thinking about ways STO could have been a more multi-faceted game

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 5, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What about Star Wars the Old Republic? Doesnt that have what youre looking for?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

busalover posted:

it's kinda a long story

it felt like there was roughly zero hype around the expansion. first, they announced around the same time as ff14 (which, after all the hype of shadowbringers, also looked really good from all the pre-release materials), so it was kinda competing with that, but then had to delay to february (and probably should have delayed another month, because there were some p. bad bugs and general issues with new content on launch but it is what it is and it's smooth sailing now either way i guess), and people just kinda forgot about it existing after endwalker was such a giant hit

however, they also said they had twice the sales of path of fire (which was quite popular), and their playerbase has quadrupled over the last 2 years or so, after the bad times when ncsoft shafted them in late 2018 and they had to slow down the content drops considerably, cancel any talks of future expansions, and also lost a third of employees iirc, consequently leading to losing many players in 2019

for comparison, icebrood saga (latest story before expansion) took over 2 years to finish and while what's there is very good content, it's just another living story season with only 3 full maps, instead of a full blown expansion with 4 maps + 6 living story maps and new classes like the earlier 2-3 year content drops were. also, the last chapter is very much showing it's corona content with how much content reuse there is

but despite the content/budget issues, because what's there is great, they kept getting more players. i think a big part of that is the no subscription, and no gear progression thing, though. usually in mmos if you wanna do latest content you have to keep up with gear every ~6 months, in gw2 you come back after a year or 2 out and once muscle memory kicks in you're exactly where you were when you left with a ton of new content to see and fashion to collect, without having to worry about stat inflation at all. that kinda owns a lot

also, there was a funny thing on expansion release where they had a weird bug where it created way too many instances of world maps so it felt like there was only 3 people ever online despite the game being more active than ever. they've fixed it pretty quickly, but it probably fed into the "dead game" narrative for those 2 days lmao

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I said come in! posted:

how would i know

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

how would i know

By trying it?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I said come in! posted:

It has the CYOA stuff a bit but it’s all top down, not user generated. In Star Trek Online players can create entire away missions and narratives for other players. I’ve only seen the like of it in City of Heroes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I feel like I’ve asked this before, but are there any semi-modern mmos that have challenging solo PvE content? I have the itch (again), but every new mmo I try feels like it was designed mainly for players suffering from severe head trauma. I’d like something where I need to think a bit and be punished for performing poorly, but I also don’t want to have ridiculously long corpse runs because I don’t have tons of time to waste.

Is this, as I expect, an impossible ask?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

kedo posted:

I feel like I’ve asked this before, but are there any semi-modern mmos that have challenging solo PvE content? I have the itch (again), but every new mmo I try feels like it was designed mainly for players suffering from severe head trauma. I’d like something where I need to think a bit and be punished for performing poorly, but I also don’t want to have ridiculously long corpse runs because I don’t have tons of time to waste.

Is this, as I expect, an impossible ask?

FFXI doesn't meet your semi-modern criteria, but it is still alive and getting regular updates. I played it pretty heavily at the start of the pandemic and had a ton of fun going through the main story and the first bit of the endgame. The reason I think it's a good fit is that certain jobs are able to solo endgame content that's designed for parties, with the right build and strategy. I had a lot of fun figuring out how to solo the lower tiers of Ambuscade on my newly-99 red mage, for example.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jimlit posted:

By trying it?

lol, next question

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Edly posted:

FFXI doesn't meet your semi-modern criteria, but it is still alive and getting regular updates. I played it pretty heavily at the start of the pandemic and had a ton of fun going through the main story and the first bit of the endgame. The reason I think it's a good fit is that certain jobs are able to solo endgame content that's designed for parties, with the right build and strategy. I had a lot of fun figuring out how to solo the lower tiers of Ambuscade on my newly-99 red mage, for example.

I played a ton of FFXI back at launch and for a year or two afterwards, but I'm not sure I could tolerate its particular level of jank these days. It was certainly a great game for its time, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is immensely better now. If you enjoyed it at all back then you’ll enjoy it now