Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Nucleic Acids posted:

I mean, he’s basically right.

He is right in the way Tucker Carlson is basically right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

He is right in the way Tucker Carlson is basically right.

No, I’d say there’s a difference between the two.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
We've been there before too. As it gradually became impossible to deny what a disaster the GWB presidency had become, it affected people who had initially backed him in 2000, or just opposed Gore, or (like younger and mostly apolitical me) figured neither was going to be a very impactful president so the election wasn't worth getting worked up over. Namely, they more and more often had to confront the question of what that decision meant, and how things could have been differently. It's not surprising that a lot of the answers still assumed, explicitly or implicitly, that a lot would have gone the same. You know, same basic cabinet composition, same decisions on financial deregulation and other conservative domestic policy, same dismissing Al Qaeda as something Clinton used to distract the country from his sexual misbehavior. Even, and sometimes especially, assuming that Gore would have flogged for the same exact invasion of Iraq to complete his daddy's legacy, and same decisions made during the occupation. You know, just a different nameplate. Often it led to how he just would have just been replaced by a rabid right-winger in 2004 or 2008.

That was nonsense of course. Some of it was plain sour grapes. The less that really would have been different, the less relevant your individual or collective fuckup was.The rest is just the enormity of what would have happened if a fantastically close election shook out a little differently. It's hard to picture that course of events even if the Congressional results didn't shift a single seat.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Nucleic Acids posted:

No, I’d say there’s a difference between the two.

Using carefully crafted statements with no context to prove a point is literally Tucker Carlson’s bread and butter.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Using literal right wing talking points but using them as an angry leftist doesn't make those rightwing talking points any less right wing. Like literally everything that said in the context and tone that it was said is no different to what you would find at the federalist.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
since we're all just making up what we think would be different from past elections, just think if newt got the nomination way back. We would all be living on the moon now

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Ah yes, Tucker Carlson, well known for his criticism of Democratic inaction on immigration reform and climate change. I remember his episode last night: "You want them to reduce police funding and redirect it to rehabilitation and health services, but THEY insist on pumping up police budgets higher and higher!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I take back what I said. The federalist would never call AOC a republican shill. Sorry about that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Dems and their supporters are equivalent to republicans.

They aren't, though. Useless is not the same thing as actively malicious and the left is equally decorum obsessed when it comes to (not) using the methods and means which allowed the Republican Party's far-right faction to gain power over the entire party, much less other successful leftist movements.

Honestly, if all Republicans are Republicans and all Democrats are the equivalent of Republicans than who isn't Republicans? The 5% or so of true hardcore left who would never imagine voting for either? If that is the case then what is the point of even hoping for more?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Killer robot posted:

We've been there before too. As it gradually became impossible to deny what a disaster the GWB presidency had become, it affected people who had initially backed him in 2000, or just opposed Gore, or (like younger and mostly apolitical me) figured neither was going to be a very impactful president so the election wasn't worth getting worked up over. Namely, they more and more often had to confront the question of what that decision meant, and how things could have been differently. It's not surprising that a lot of the answers still assumed, explicitly or implicitly, that a lot would have gone the same. You know, same basic cabinet composition, same decisions on financial deregulation and other conservative domestic policy, same dismissing Al Qaeda as something Clinton used to distract the country from his sexual misbehavior. Even, and sometimes especially, assuming that Gore would have flogged for the same exact invasion of Iraq to complete his daddy's legacy, and same decisions made during the occupation. You know, just a different nameplate. Often it led to how he just would have just been replaced by a rabid right-winger in 2004 or 2008.

That was nonsense of course. Some of it was plain sour grapes. The less that really would have been different, the less relevant your individual or collective fuckup was.The rest is just the enormity of what would have happened if a fantastically close election shook out a little differently. It's hard to picture that course of events even if the Congressional results didn't shift a single seat.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest that a hillary presidency over a trump one would have no difference on our current reality. It’s just hard for me to see a very realistic situation where it avoided republicans eventually gaining a majority on the Supreme Court. But maybe someone else can think of one.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Killer robot posted:

I think Twitter's influence exceeds its user count in large part because they spent so long as social media outlet that's very happy to let you just embed in a website or browse without an account, vs Facebook like Facebook not wanting to show you a thing without an account. If you don't want to tweet you don't have to sign up and tweets relevant to news stories or forums or whatever will just crop up on your usual sites so you don't have to follow anyone.

Two questions.

1) when did facebook become a closed/gated garden? I used to be able to freeloader and keep up with local community stuff without an account.

2) do people not know about Zipf's Law? like during the Musk Twitter Buying, people are suprised that like 80-99% of twitters activity is generated by 20% to 1% of its user pop. This is common in many many other things. I'm sure the mods or the admins can confirm that its the same with SA.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The answer to all of this is not only unacceptable to every authority figure from this post upwards to the "authority", but likely impossible given circumstances.

Abandon faith in your/our way of life. We've overshot a sustainable way of life for longer than I've been alive, and that force has captured the earth and its future. We live in an absurd validation of every disaffected young persons rebellion

"They" are all, in fact, wrong. And it is going to cost everything.

What do I propose doing besides voting Democrat every election since I was able? Understand power on every level, from the system based power of striking and boycotting, to the more natural power associated with the blood in your veins and air in your lungs. It lands better with gun people than brunch people though!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ellasmith posted:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest that a hillary presidency over a trump one would have no difference on our current reality. It’s just hard for me to see a very realistic situation where it avoided republicans eventually gaining a majority on the Supreme Court. But maybe someone else can think of one.

There's a lot of questions I could ask, but just for one: what do you think would have happened if, after all the fighting in the primary, and the schisms in the general between those who embraced Trump, those who at least outwardly rejected him, and those who said to vote for the courts and to stop Hillary -- all that ended in him eating poo poo and Hillary becoming President? Once Trump lost the big one to the party's greatest bogeyman, who rushes in, who falls out, what generally happens in the party that was sharply divided over whether a noisy game show host was the way to stop her? Since that answers absolutely everything of what Republicans would have done in 2017-2022. Particularly as to what kind of unity they would have had to hold Congress through two elections and unify behind a strong candidate in 2020. It's nearly as big a question as "what if Iraq, and even 9/11, didn't happen the same way?

Also worth noting that Hillary was historically better liked when she was in government (as first lady, senator, or secretary) than she was as a candidate. There's no way of knowing if this would have held true as President, but I don't feel it safe to say it wouldn't. Obviously the Republican base would have hated her like fire, but would independents have hated her far more than they did all the other times she was in Washington rather than on the trail?

I'm not saying I have clear answers for those. I'm just saying that people who make bold counterfactuals that gloss over those points without examination probably aren't thinking hard about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How did JD Vance win his primary? I thought he was trailing behind a more typical reactionary this whole time. Did he just openly start screaming about jews?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I AM GRANDO posted:

How did JD Vance win his primary? I thought he was trailing behind a more typical reactionary this whole time. Did he just openly start screaming about jews?

He had been polling pretty evenly with Mandel for the last month or so and then Trump endorsed him. He only won with 31% of the vote and the vote was split between another candidate who claimed to be the "real trump" candidate and an explicitly anti-Trump candidate who both got ~24%.

Trump and a bunch of high profile conservative media figures endorsed Vance two weeks ago and that probably put him over the edge and broke him out of the tie.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

So, turns out you really didn't think you were sufficiently militant. Ok, fair enough, I wasn't accusing you one way or the other. All the same, if the number to hit was zero, you failed ages ago. Don't take it out on the rest of us, acknowledge you didn't know what you were doing. That said, where do you plan on starting over then, recognizing that you're already way in the red? Your first option was "burn 'the whole thing' down", but I assume the camp-outs on the justices' lawns will be first. Are you going to start now? I'll join you but I'll be honest, I don't think they'll care.

Man, I just gotta day from the way you are posting I don’t even think you care about the impact of this decision, because your urgency is all around owning people, rather than contributing to an idea of what to actually do, and what the outcomes of those actions would be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Man, I just gotta day from the way you are posting I don’t even think you care about the impact of this decision, because your urgency is all around owning people, rather than contributing to an idea of what to actually do, and what the outcomes of those actions would be.

What do you think the outcome of the camp-out will be? Like I said I'll join you but I'm going to be realistic about what it'll do.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

What do you think the outcome of the camp-out will be? Like I said I'll join you but I'm going to be realistic about what it'll do.

It cannot possibly accomplish less than voting has.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Who’s to say Mitch wouldn’t just hold out all Supreme Court picks while Hillary was in office in this supposed other outcome?

Voting Dem literally did nothing in 2020. Even with majorities:

• Pandemic Cases rose to their highest levels
  • Pandemic funding has been cut
  • Police funding is higher than ever
  • Military funding is higher than ever
  • Title 42 is still on the books
  • Women’s rights has been obliterated
  • Nothing meaningful has been done about climate change
  • The march towards fascism has not been interrupted

To argue that voting for Dems has been a net positive in anyway in the past 30 years is to ignore history. They care about decorum and capitalist. Dems and their supporters are equivalent to republicans.

Weren't you in CSPAM last year constantly arguing with people to vote for Joe Biden? I seem to remember your piranha plant avatar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

It cannot possibly accomplish less than voting has.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, but I'll keep an eye out for your sit-in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Using literal right wing talking points but using them as an angry leftist doesn't make those rightwing talking points any less right wing. Like literally everything that said in the context and tone that it was said is no different to what you would find at the federalist.

What literal right wing talking points are being discussed here? Can you quote them and explain how they're right wing?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

We'll be hearing about 2016 for decades, every time Democrats fail we'll have a Two-Minute-Hate for the Bernie Bros of 2016 whose fault this all is, even though Democratic politicians in the present have the power to act but refuse to use it.

poo poo, pundits and such still bring up the 1968 Dem convention as the point in which things went wrong and politics became radical and polarized, so tragic! Mostly in terrible bad faith, but at this point what is the difference?

They'll be making hay out of Sanders' very polite challenge for decades yet, never mind that he did 30+ campaign events for Hillary once she won. The Hillary fedayeen on Twitter have been incensed lately over how she was right all along and this is all our deserved punishment for failing to live up to her grace.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

World Famous W posted:

since we're all just making up what we think would be different from past elections, just think if newt got the nomination way back. We would all be living on the moon now

Obviously what should have happened is getting Marianne Williamson the big seat. She'd have put Alito into an egg and none of this would be happening now.

RBA Starblade posted:

At some point there comes a tipping of the scales where appearance, propriety, and separation of the ruling from the ruled don't hold sway any more. And at that point, we teach them not to fear public opinion, but to fear the public.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fister Roboto posted:

What literal right wing talking points are being discussed here? Can you quote them and explain how they're right wing?

Criticizing the Democratic Party is inherently right wing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1521581893438754817?s=20&t=bBkbcemiUDEsGEWEla9JdQ

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Madkal posted:

Please provide examples of “rightwing talking points” in my post.

It’s a good thing Dems were voted in to defund the police…

Wait

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/01/state-of-the-union-2022-fund-police-00013065 posted:

“We should all agree: The answer is not to defund the police. It’s to fund the police,” Biden said to strong applause

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 4, 2022

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please provide examples of “rightwing talking points” in my post.

It’s a good thing Dems were voted in to defund the police…

Wait

I don't think Biden sets the budget for red state police departments

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Celexi posted:

I don't think Biden sets the budget for red state police departments

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/12/politics/biden-administration-crime-covid-relief-funding/index.html

Well, I mean, he's certainly not trying to defund them. He also made it a major talking point of his state of the union address :shrug:

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Power swinging back and forth between Democrats and Republicans is not the fault of random or collective voters, it is the fault of Democrat politicians.

I understood your point here being that the politicians are culpable for not being persuasive enough to voters, but someone reported this who did not see that, so please try to be specific about what point you're making and why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Right wing talking points' has basically meant 'any criticism of establishment Democrats' in D&D for years now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

If someone ever argued against Horseshoe Theory, I’d show them this post.

do you have any substantive criticism to make of this post, or is it merely that the post makes you mad?

Koos Group posted:

I understood your point here being that the politicians are culpable for not being persuasive enough to voters, but someone reported this who did not see that, so please try to be specific about what point you're making and why.

seriously koos, how is THIS discourse permissible under your regime in dnd?

haakman
May 5, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

If someone ever argued against Horseshoe Theory, I’d show them this post.

Dealing with Climate Change and the rise of fascism is right wing now?

Man your country is hosed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Right wing talking points' has basically meant 'any criticism of establishment Democrats' in D&D for years now.

Sometimes, sure, but also sometimes people are so mad at the dems that they post literal talking points from republican Twitter's and that's pretty funny.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Sometimes, sure, but also sometimes people are so mad at the dems that they post literal talking points from republican Twitter's and that's pretty funny.

Which points were those again?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Which points were those again?

Currently in the thread? None, I'm not trying to agree with TyrantWD here.

I'm disagreeing that all uses of that claim refer to justified criticism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Currently in the thread? None, I'm not trying to agree with TyrantWD here.

I'm disagreeing that all uses of that claim refer to justified criticism

Point, though I'm pretty sure I've seen actual right wing talking points also used to DEFEND the Dems.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's for sure up for debate. Not sure he could have held out for two years or more but it is is possible.

He absolutely could have, the same as he stage-managed seating a new Justice for Trump two weeks before the election.

The Democratic party demonstrates little leverage even in the majority, because it is entirely unwilling to enforce party discipline on anything other than fundraising, and will happily give up what they do have to maintain the status quo.

There's a reason McConnell as Senate Majority Leader was vastly more effective in pushing his party's abhorrent platform, and it is the simple will to exercise power without scruples because he is well aware there will be no consequences. He's in a safe seat, and the Dems even when in supermajority won't use his own tactics against him out of respect for the unwritten norms of bipartisanship.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Killer robot posted:

It's weird that you are blaming voters for Bush becoming president when it's since been proven that Gore won the 2000 election but Democrats let Bush get away with stealing it because they wanted to be nice and not make waves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

It's weird that you are blaming voters for Bush becoming president when it's since been proven that Gore won the 2000 election but Democrats let Bush get away with stealing it because they wanted to be nice and not make waves

Through an election that was basically fixed by the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Spoke Lee posted:

What can I do as a disabled person to protect myself? In 2017 it took every Dem senator and a few R's to prevent Medicaid from becoming a block grant, and it came down to a single vote. Nationally elected officials mattered there. Local organizing doesn't work when state budgets can't cover personal care assistance for it's disabled population. Do we just accept out fates and relinquish our autonomy to be abused and neglected in some facility? Are we just expendable for the revolution? Is there is a plan in place to care for us during the downfall before things get better?

I've asked this before but maybe people can get into the details of what considerations a potential plan of action might have for those in similar situations to ours?

Takes like this always make me scratch my head because one of the defining forms anarchist and communist action takes are mutual aid networks that serve the community with both broad and personal attention to their needs that are not being met by the status quo.

Frankly I trust them way more to care about my personal needs than the status quo currently does.