Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AppleNippleBOB posted:

crossposting this advice, I’m not a dr, but the person who shared this w me is.

We saw benefit with several over-the-counter therapies that we used on hospital patients before the FDA approved therapies came out and in conjunction. Here’s what I recommend taking to help lower your symptoms and help you recover:
-Vitamin D, 1000 units or 2000 units daily (low vitamin D levels are linked with higher hospitalization and increased severity in early covid studies)

-Famotidine (Pepcid AC) 20mg daily. Start this immediately if you can. Shows benefit if you start it early as possible. Vanderbilt is currently restudying this to see if our research matches many of the other research showing benefit.

-Melatonin 3mg, 6mg, or 10mg daily. All showed benefit so whatever you can find or have on hand.

-Aspirin 81mg daily. Blood thinner and reduces clot risk. Don’t take any more than 81mg daily, that’s all you need. Also don’t take if you have ever been told not to take NSAIDs, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Otherwise you are fine to take.

-Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great for pain and headache. 500mg acetaminophen, take 2 every 8 hours. Ibuprofen 200mg take 2-3 every 8 hours. You can take ‘em together or alternate every 4 hours or so.

-Mucinex (guaifenesin) is good for cough as it gets the mucous out. Don’t take unless you start to have cough.

-Zinc (this one is iffy, doses in studies are pretty high, 300mg/day, so I would not recommend taking that unless under doctor’s supervision. If you have a generally 30-50mg supplement around the house, taking it daily should help your immune system a bit, but it’s not necessary).

Stay hydrated, Pedialite is great if you haven’t been eating much, Gatorade and Powerade are pretty sugary but work well if you have them.

If you have a pulse oximeter or a way to measure Oxygen Saturation, I recommend it just for safety. If your oxygen saturation drops below 95% then you need to be evaluated by a doctor, preferably the ER. Note: if you have COPD or similar Lung condition your normal levels may already be lower.

well I'm glad I already take vit d supplements

when that h1n1 happened in 2008 or 2009 I got it and had a bad cough for a whole month. I took so much mucinex it sucked balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

ugh, gently caress. someone else posted another call plushcare. there might be other options, i don't know much beyond this. who the gently caress knows. sorry though :( that's so loving stupid and i'm livid for you that the situation is so stupid

i called em up and had a nice chat with a woman who was possibly higher than me and laughing at pretty much everything i said including just fuckin losing it as we said goodbye, still laughing when the line disconnected. she told me I didn't check the right comorbidity boxes and the provider determined i didn't need antiviral treatment but still took my $29 lol

might try the other one and say I'm fat as gently caress even though I'm currently at my lowest weight since i was like 14 (thanks covid, couldn't have done it without you). this is when i regret not having a PCP or becoming rich

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

oh my god whaaaaaaaaat how could this have happened i can't believe it

Carnival Cruise Ship passengers say COVID overwhelmed ship
https://apnews.com/article/covid-health-seattle-9fc10d7f393fc4581a8fe256a2f527cd

quote:

SEATTLE (AP) — Passengers on a Carnival Cruise Ship that docked Tuesday in Seattle say more than 100 people aboard the ship tested positive for COVID-19 and the ship was overwhelmed.

Multiple people say they’re in quarantine at Seattle-area hotels after testing positive or being exposed to someone with COVID-19. Carnival Cruise Line would not confirm how many people tested positive, but said there were a number of positive cases, KING5 reported.

Darren Sieferston, a passenger on the cruise from Miami to Seattle, is in quarantine after testing positive. He said the crew’s response was chaotic.

“They didn’t have enough staff to handle the emergency that was happening, period,” said Sieferston. “They were overwhelmed and they didn’t have a backup course in how to handle about 200 people affected with COVID. We all suffered.”

Passengers tell KING 5 they waited hours for meals, weren’t properly isolated and couldn’t get ahold of medical staff.

“We couldn’t call anybody...Basically, we sat in the room, you call and it would ring, ring, ring and ring all day long” said Sieferston.

Carnival said there were no serious health issues. (LOL) The company’s website says guest are required to be fully vaccinated and tested before a trip. Some exemptions are accommodated with proper testing.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

i called em up and had a nice chat with a woman who was possibly higher than me and laughing at pretty much everything i said including just fuckin losing it as we said goodbye, still laughing when the line disconnected. she told me I didn't check the right comorbidity boxes and the provider determined i didn't need antiviral treatment but still took my $29 lol

might try the other one and say I'm fat as gently caress even though I'm currently at my lowest weight since i was like 14 (thanks covid, couldn't have done it without you). this is when i regret not having a PCP or becoming rich

oh, yes. sorry for not saying earlier. lie about everything. they don't check your medical records. say you're BMI 30, a smoker, have asthma, and whatever else you want. the lies will set you free

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Strep Vote posted:

My history and sociology degrees are closer to epidemiology than any bio degree. How disease spreads is dependent upon how the organism behaves.

lol

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

sorry for the triple post i'm doing my daily morning digital self-harm

i know we often joke about living with covid by dying but this person is literally saying we will live with covid by dying from it

i got news for you buddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

thoguh put on the mask

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I’m not bothering to keep the mask on so rip me if that’s what gets me

what the gently caress thoguh you know better than this

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

what the gently caress thoguh you know better than this

It’s a solo office and there’s nobody in today for any of the other offices in my hallway which is why I did the aranet4 check to see what the circulation was like.

Also I’m in luck, there is one other person masked out of about two dozen people in the conference room I am now in. Mask buddy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thoguh posted:

It’s a solo office and there’s nobody in today for any of the other offices in my hallway which is why I did the aranet4 check to see what the circulation was like.

Also I’m in luck, there is one other person masked out of about two dozen people in the conference room I am now in. Mask buddy.

I guess if literally no one else is around you then it's fine, maybe add this context next time before you go "eh mask off it's cool" in a post.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I'm not made of money

you can get a quarter pound of CBD flower from cbdhempdirect for $40 https://cbdhemp.direct/collections/cbd-flower/products/quarter-pound-bulk-cbd-hemp-flower-for-sale?variant=39280189571117

then you can do a QWET (https://www.safeleaf.ca/ethanol-alcohol-extraction-crafting-concentrates-for-medicine-smoking-and-edibles/) and if you're lazy/cheap you can use isopropyl instead of ethanol, just make sure you let that stuff cure for a very long time until it's hard; doesn't hurt to toss in an oven at 170 after your pyrex pan has evaporated all the alcohol, to cook out whatever residuals you can

ignoring the labor and cost of alcohol and assuming 20% loss this works out to 18 grams of CBD oil for $40, or $2-3 per gram

compare that to https://penguincbd.com/products/cbd-gummies where 300mg of CBD is $45, so a gram is $150

all these same basic numbers apply to cannabis with the exception that you can't usually get quaps of 20% THC flower for $40. But, this should all explain why I grow my own and make my own shatter with considerable effort, because it ends up being $4-6/gram for shatter/oil vs $30-50 at the dispensaries or $25-35 for unground poo poo that may be poorly purged BHO

the point of this whole post is just that the CBD market is a fuckin sucker's game and if you want to use a bunch of CBD just make your own drat oil, there's many simple ways to do so in the kitchen. PM me if you have questions or better yet hit up the serious about weed thread in TCC, processing CBD flower is identical to processing THC flower.

ALL that said -- I am still waiting for some really good evidence in humans that oral consumption or vaped CBD actually meaningfully lowers your COVID risk. Probably can't hurt, as long as trace THC is very very low.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Soap Scum posted:

ugh, gently caress. someone else posted another call plushcare. there might be other options, i don't know much beyond this.

cvs minute clinic. you basically have to try all of these options because whether or not you get prescribed it seems to be a completely random function of who you talk to

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's cool that paying for insurance just gets you a base level of lovely healthcare in America and you get to pony up for these shady concierge services if you want the good stuff

:hai:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

lol all you want but studying past outbreaks/diseases and how and why they occur is quite literally the foundation of epidemiology? [edit: admittedly i love studying outbreaks so I'm probably an outlier]

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 16:10 on May 4, 2022

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
what's the most inexpensive, reliably well-calibrated co2 monitor?

captain amab
Jan 26, 2020

text editor posted:

Terrible headaches after contracting covid 5 months ago turned out to be a 3.0mm brain aneurysm (link)

my partner's started having intermittent migraines ever since her whole family got covid in late 2020. She was asymptomatic and never tested positive, but she was 'quarantined' in a house with half a dozen symptomatic people with no masks and no filtered ventilation.

anyone know if NY medicaid covers MRIs?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

thoguh put on the mask

Yeah. Dude, mask up please.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Greg Legg posted:

Yeah. Dude, mask up please.

Going for the deadsheet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Strep Vote posted:

lol all you want but studying past outbreaks/diseases and how and why they occur is quite literally the foundation of epidemiology? [edit: admittedly i love studying outbreaks so I'm probably an outlier]

yeah i'll lol all i want when people who aren't epidemiologists get into online slap fights about how "MY degree" is more like epidemiology

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mediaphage posted:

yeah i'll lol all i want when people who aren't epidemiologists get into online slap fights about how "MY degree" is more like epidemiology

Fair.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Petey posted:

what's the most inexpensive, reliably well-calibrated co2 monitor?

your lungs

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Strep Vote posted:

Going for the deadsheet.

we’re all gonna get on the dead sheet eventually better open Biden

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

On the one hand, I would like to forever escape to the blissful land of low stress wfh and try to figure out how to meaningfully live life from there. On the other hand, I could do a bunch of stimulants and crank out a couple actuary exams so I can get a job looking at the forbidden actuarial tables on covid and go even further insane. Decisions decisions.....

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby
Another win for the Biden Administration!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeshaha:

I'm O+ and my roommate is O-, we're cave people, I wear a respirator, and she wears one of my KF-94 stockpile in the outworld, and we're running 1 to 3 corsi cubes at any one time. My apartment is a fortress against COVID.

smoke a lot of weed too, you’ve gotta build up that protective resin layer

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

Thoguh posted:

Do yourself a favor and build a mini CR cube for your office - that's what I did so that when I'm working on-site I can close the door and have a safe spot to eat lunch (my office is basically a closet so I don't think it takes long to get an air change :downs: ). The only person who's given me any sass about it is a retired nurse (!) who argued with me back in March '20 that covid would be a big nothingburger :rolleyes: Gotta love those blue MAGA types!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm now wondering if i got covid waking the trail next to the water treatment plant. it's possible, my high/covid brain says

i went for a sunrise walk there on Saturday morning and saw great blue herons walking the polluted beach

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Soap Scum posted:

oh my god whaaaaaaaaat how could this have happened i can't believe it

Carnival Cruise Ship passengers say COVID overwhelmed ship
https://apnews.com/article/covid-health-seattle-9fc10d7f393fc4581a8fe256a2f527cd

Miami to Seattle seems to be a 16 day itinerary, through the panama canal. I would think cruise companies would start dropping itineraries beyond 7 days to limit the size of outbreaks on the ship.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dren posted:

Miami to Seattle seems to be a 16 day itinerary, through the panama canal. I would think cruise companies would start dropping itineraries beyond 7 days to limit the size of outbreaks on the ship.

lol

some of the most popular cruises in the world are months long, around the world cruises, with dozens of ports

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lol

some of the most popular cruises in the world are months long, around the world cruises, with dozens of ports

At some point, I figured that there are a lot of retirees who just live on cruise ships, because they get 3 meals and a place to sleep for long periods of time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

KlavierVogel posted:

Do yourself a favor and build a mini CR cube for your office - that's what I did so that when I'm working on-site I can close the door and have a safe spot to eat lunch (my office is basically a closet so I don't think it takes long to get an air change :downs: ). The only person who's given me any sass about it is a retired nurse (!) who argued with me back in March '20 that covid would be a big nothingburger :rolleyes: Gotta love those blue MAGA types!

If you know the CADR of your device, figure out how long to run it to meet ASHRAE's recommendation of 3 air changes to get the air 95% cleaned.

https://www.ashrae.org/technical-resources/reopening-of-schools-and-universities#specificchecks

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lol

this sounds like hell

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

lol

yeah they don't care

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vice's coverage of the Kid Rock cruise sounded like a hepatitis disaster and that was a decade ago.

https://www.gq.com/story/kid-rock-annual-cruise-gq-june-2013

quote:

The ship is huge. HUGE. It's the kind of ship you gawk at from the highway. It's nearly 1,000 feet long and fifteen stories high. For our voyage, it has been stocked with 26,000 eggs, 357 gallons of ice cream, 8,000 pounds of beef, 1,484 pounds of cheese, and 643 pounds of coffee. There's also 12,568 pounds of fruit, none of which will be eaten.

I walk to my room along one of the ship's many vast hallways. There's a door-decorating contest going on all week, and the passengers are putting everything they have into it. One cabin door is festooned with a dozen old Playboy centerfolds. Another has a sign blaring JAM OUT WITH YOUR CLAM OUT. In the hallway, I pass by one woman alerting a crew member named Carlos for help dragging her shitfaced friend back to their cabin. "Carlos, we got a drunk one here!"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
https://twitter.com/joeyfox85/status/1521646638443413504

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Iron Crowned posted:

At some point, I figured that there are a lot of retirees who just live on cruise ships, because they get 3 meals and a place to sleep for long periods of time.
there was an article in the times/post/something just a couple weeks ago detailing people doing this

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Dren posted:

do they care though? i feel like they probably get your money anyway even if they drop you off to die somewhere after you get covid.

now you might say it's bad business practice to kill your customers, to which i say: not this quarter!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
COVID-free burgs for all!

https://twitter.com/7NewsDC/status/1521883392056475649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

If I don't have a doctor currently, where can I go to try at a prescription?

[E: oh i should have read OP]

eua posted:

PAXLOVID may only be prescribed for an individual patient by physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, and physician assistants that are licensed or authorized under state law to prescribe drugs in the therapeutic class to whjich PAXLOVID belongs (i.e., anti-infectives).

we should like automatically pair people up with doctors ahead of time so this doesn't happen i dunno

platzapS has issued a correction as of 17:21 on May 4, 2022