Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not eating the steak my husband regurgitated and spit out his bite on?

the food court

This right here is when the story got funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
At first I thought "oh well surely the waiter will come by and ask what's wrong with the steak and likely she'd get another one" but then got to "food court" and wow. What a dense idiot.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Same dude lol:

My girlfriend has no goals for her life.

quote:

I think her politics are a bit wacky but I think it's so great how much she cares.

wow i think it's so zany how much you "care" about "other people", it's just wacky. in a good way, tho, of course, yeah

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm trying to figure out which place in the food court is selling steak.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's just ground beef.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

odiv posted:

It's just ground beef.

Yeah its a bun-less hamburger served with a baked potato

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It's Salisbury steak. But regardless of the quality of the meal, he's an rear end in a top hat for taking a bite and spitting it out onto the remaining food then expecting her to eat it.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm trying to figure out which place in the food court is selling steak.

It's not "steak", it's ground sirloin in an elongated patty much like a hamburger. Usually smothered in gravy and onions.
They could have gone to the grocery store and bought stouffers dinners and saved $20.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

run on sentience posted:

It's Salisbury steak. But regardless of the quality of the meal, he's an rear end in a top hat for taking a bite and spitting it out onto the remaining food then expecting her to eat it.

Not only expecting her to eat it, but berating her over it until she burst into tears with his excuse being that she should have resisted his onslaught for longer before crying.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Why does salesman boyfriend need the bathroom air to be dry? What is wrong with the humidity and what is dangerous about it?

Maybe he’s searching for her: (SFW video, audio semi NSFW)

https://youtu.be/GH1ruMGpTVY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Why does salesman boyfriend need the bathroom air to be dry? What is wrong with the humidity and what is dangerous about it?

Maybe he’s searching for her: (SFW video, audio semi NSFW)

https://youtu.be/GH1ruMGpTVY

Weird that once upon a time, this was my only point of reference for Ellie Kemper

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hamburg steak is the dish that would lead to both the hamburgER, and Salisbury Steak. Like a common beef patty ancestor both dishes have.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Hughlander posted:

I(28f) can't stand how excited my bf(32m) is to see his friend

From the comments

Once more, does this guy know he's OP's boyfriend?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't even want to eat or look at my own regurgitated bite of Hamburg steak, luckily that's an easily avoided problem. As an addendum adult gift exchanging should be abolished

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for Not Allowing my GF to have Dangerously Hot Showers?

AITA for calling my brother an idiot?

No, mom, I am sharing things with my brother. I can't help it if he can't tell the mug of paint water I'm sharing from the mug of coke I'm sharing.

"Dangerously hot" as determined by...this one dude looking at her and going "wow, you're red". And it's not like she's doing nothing to get rid of the steam once she's done showering. She turned on the dehumidifier (until he insisted she use it in a way that broke it) and leaves a window open.

From the way her mood has dropped after he started forcing her to take 'normal people temperature' showers, she was probably doing really hot showers as part of her self-care and he's destroyed her ability to decompress or whatever.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Look honey, we're going to need you to remind him how to breathe once every couple of seconds, that's just how things are gonna be.

It's interesting that the dad is going "Yeah, this is unreasonable behaviour from your brother" and the mom is going "well, that's just How Siblings Are, learn to cope". (This is not, in fact, how siblings are; I have never been overcome by the urge to yank food out of my siblings' hands, and they've never pulled that poo poo on me either.)

quantumwell posted:

I want to know how you break a dehumidifier with too much humidity. Is it a physics thing or is the controlling boyfriend just crazy?

Controlling boyfriend is crazy, but it's possible to overheat the dehumidifier by running it in an environment that's hot and damp. Depending on how it works, it could also have gotten overloaded by trying to suck up all the steam while more was being produced.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Once more, does this guy know he's OP's boyfriend?

Considering the slip where OP says his family thinks the only reason he's single is because this friend lives too far away? Doubtful. At best, OP is a side piece who refuses to admit it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I want to live in hot shower guy’s apartment because all the apartments I’ve lived in have the hot water temperature on the low side and it always annoys me. On the other hand, regularly turning your bathroom into a sauna for long periods of time without running a fan or something just means your bathroom is going to get gross real quickly if you’re in certain parts of the country.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The fact that he calls them "smart pants" makes me think he lives somewhere that isn't the United States, which would make easily acquiring big/tall clothes more of a pain.
"Smart dress" is used in Australia, in the sense that's it's between casual and formal but has no actual exact definition. Usually accepted as dress pants (aka trousers or slacks) and a buttoned shirt and something that's not sneakers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wizardofloneliness posted:

I want to live in hot shower guy’s apartment because all the apartments I’ve lived in have the hot water temperature on the low side and it always annoys me. On the other hand, regularly turning your bathroom into a sauna for long periods of time without running a fan or something just means your bathroom is going to get gross real quickly if you’re in certain parts of the country.

Yeah, you're going to want to dry that out quick to avoid mold.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you know about weddings much more than 3 weeks in advance.
I keep clothes around for things like weddings and job interviews so I don't HAVE to worry about finding something to wear last minute. And I'm a fat lady (fat women have weird options for clothes).

Also from the OP:

quote:

There has definitely been times where my medical condition (IBS) and relative social anxiety has prevented from me going to social events with her friends, but I never missed anything with family. She says she is so hurt by the break up, she says she loves me so much, but she sees this as too much of a let down to see past and mentioned it worries her about my reliability if we had kids.

His rear end must look like a brownie covered in hot fudge.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ten year age gap here, if you were wondering why he's treating his GF like a kid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

I keep clothes around for things like weddings and job interviews so I don't HAVE to worry about finding something to wear last minute. And I'm a fat lady (fat women have weird options for clothes).

Also from the OP:

His rear end must look like a brownie covered in hot fudge.

Thing about IBS is that sometimes your body is making GBS threads out some quantity of stomach acid as well when it shouldn't, so if you don't take care of yourself you'll have constant burning pain back there.

Not saying he's keeping himself clean, but anyone with IBS is far more likely to clean properly because the alternative is literal pain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

acid hole

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dangerously hot showers

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mx. posted:

dangerously hot showers

:chanpop:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

dangerously hot showers

why

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StrangersInTheNight posted:

not if youre having it tailored for you, that poo poo can have 6-8 weeks of lead time if you're doing it online

No experience online, but I've had pants tailored for me in two weeks at Jos. A Bank.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

How do I [26F] confront my “friend” [30F] about buying things without asking me and then expecting I pay- without ruining our upcoming vacation

quote:

As the title states, I’ve had ongoing trouble with this friend and money. For example whenever we go out to eat she asks the waiter for us to split the evenly despite the fact that she orders significantly more/more expensive things than me.

I have tried to chalk that up to “cultural differences” as I come from a country where people split the bill by who ordered what and we are in the US where there seems to be a preference for splitting the bill equally. That being said I know that there was onus on me to bring up this issue so I don’t entirely blame her, so I just vowed to be more vocal about these things going forward.

Recently I agreed to go on a weekend trip to a resort with her and another friend. She had mentioned wanting to book cabanas for $40/day which I was really unenthusiastic about because 1) the resort is already all-inclusive and very expensive! And 2) I prefer the ocean to the pool (where the cabanas are). To be nice I told her I’d be fine to book a cabana for one day.

Today she sent me a message saying she and her friend booked a cabana for two of the days and that for one day the price was $75 and the other day it was $175! I am absolutely mortified. Had they consulted me I definitely would have given a firm no on those prices. I already told her that I can just sit in the free chairs/at the beach as $250 is way out of my budget and more than the $40/day she originally told me. I feel like her response was condescending as she just said I can do “whatever I prefer”

I’m really upset and I want to confront her about the fact that she booked this expensive “extra” without consulting me and now I’m thinking I’m going to be spending my weekend trip alone as I can’t/won’t pay for the cabanas. I’m nervous because I don’t want to say something that will entirely ruin the trip so I’m not sure if this is a good idea or even what I should say.

If it’s not obvious I am a socially anxious person in general and I hate confrontation although in my mind the trip is already ruined as I’ve come to realize my friend doesn’t care very much about my preferences/circumstances.

Tl;dr friend booked expensive extras for our trip without consulting me and expects me to pay for 1/3 of it. I don’t know if confronting this behaviour will ruin our trip.

ah yes, the american cultural experience of being taken for a ride

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
lol "I'm gonna literally spit on your food and then berate you to the point of tears for not eating around a horked up wad of half-chewed meat. Also I'm too cheap and lazy to just get or ask for another"

Real catch!

Also I can't just spit it into a napkin, for some reason

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

How do I [26F] confront my “friend” [30F] about buying things without asking me and then expecting I pay- without ruining our upcoming vacation

"oh you're at the fancy restaurant already? go ahead and order, i'll be there in a bit" and then go get on a plane home

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

PancakeTransmission posted:

"Smart dress" is used in Australia, in the sense that's it's between casual and formal but has no actual exact definition. Usually accepted as dress pants (aka trousers or slacks) and a buttoned shirt and something that's not sneakers.

OP sounded like a weenie, but if he's in Australia, getting plus size and tall things is a PAIN, especially if you're not in an urban area.

I'm 198cm and my basic build is athletic (though going to chubby in middle age). There is nowhere physically near by where I can buy anything long enough for me and finding any style other than skinny or tapered is near impossible.

I used to buy pants from Eddie Bauer online, but shipping from the US is expensive and many businesses stopped doing it during the pandemic. Its also a gamble to buy clothes that you can't try for fit. I was lucky with Eddie Bauer that I bought a few pairs when I was in the US 10 years ago, so I know my fit.

There are a couple of fancy brands that I can get through specialty stores, but I'm pretty hard on clothes, so paying $190 AUD for pants that won't last a year is not ideal.

I'm facing another winter wearing shorts and leggings because I cannot reliably source clothes that fit properly.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have been telling her to use the dehumidifier in the bathroom as she showers. She told me that she showers with the window open and turns it on afterwards because the air was too humid for the dehumidifier. I put my foot down and told her it wasn't optional, and she ended up breaking the dehumidifier with the steam.

This thread is teaching me that the phrase "I put my foot down" is a red flag. Nine times out of ten it's either "I put my foot down and told my daughter she wasn't allowed to read books and that's final" or "I put my foot down and told my wife we weren't changing the oil (by the way, AITA for being upset when my wife broke the car by driving it?)".

Maybe it's because people who frame things as putting their foot down have a weird authority streak, or maybe it's just that people who put their foot down on reasonable correct things don't come to reddit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

No experience online, but I've had pants tailored for me in two weeks at Jos. A Bank.

Never trust the in-house tailors if you have literally any other option at those fancy dress stores. 2 weeks is an insane amount of time to get tailored clothes unless they are actually shipping them over from Asia first.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

pentyne posted:

Never trust the in-house tailors if you have literally any other option at those fancy dress stores. 2 weeks is an insane amount of time to get tailored clothes unless they are actually shipping them over from Asia first.

Eh, I don't know about that. When I was in college I worked at a JCPenney (not a fancy dress store) in the men's department and we had two adorable little old Mexican ladies in the back who did all the tailoring. They were funny and awesome and made the best tamales, which they'd bring in to share every month or so, and they worked their asses off. I don't know how long it takes to hem or let out a waistband or whatever, but for two people handling all the store's alterations (the women's/juniors/childrens departments sent them work around Homecoming/Easter/prom/wedding season, too), I would think two weeks is understandable, depending on their workload.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: whoops, was wrong

AITA for buying my gf a blender instead of the necklace she wanted for our anniversary?

OP says over and over in the comments variations on "I think it’s romantic/sweet to buy someone something that they need/will use, I’m not a big jewelry person myself IMO so maybe it’s just a disconnect"

Yes, ninny. It's a disconnect. Connect it. Start giving gifts based on what your girlfriend wants.

Is an emulsion blender a blender specifically for making mayonnaise?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Is an emulsion blender a blender specifically for making mayonnaise?

He's an idiot and means immersion blender.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

He means “immersion blender”. It’s a spinning blade at the end of a wand that you can insert into pots to chop and mix the contents.

Sometimes they they come with a separate attachment that drives a spinning blade at the bottom of a mixing bowl, which you could use for making mayonnaise.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Mx. posted:

I have tried to chalk that up to “cultural differences” as I come from a country where people split the bill by who ordered what and we are in the US where there seems to be a preference for splitting the bill equally.

lol. I've lived in America all my life and have never heard of this 'cultural tradition.' Lady, I think you're just being scammed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I thought an immersion blender was what you used to kill people who loudly complain that something in a show/movie broke their immersion.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

I thought an immersion blender was what you used to kill people who loudly complain that something in a show/movie broke their immersion.

Only the Polytron reduces an entire whiner into a soup-like homogenate in 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not getting my girlfriend a gift for her birthday

quote:

Then she said "it's shouldn't be about recieving it's about giving
"Specifically you giving to me."
NTA. Sentence: Acid Vat with a ribbon on the lid.