Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Celexi posted:

Coming from a country where the government itself runs inspections that are pretty strict and include so many things, to one where they check smog and "good 2 go".
A volvo with barely functional brakes and reeking of gasoline passed just fine, and there's plenty test places that will fix the issues "for a fee" (by fix just forge the result)

lmao yep same. The reason I ditched my Volvo was because I planned to go on a big road trip and brought it into my mechanic for a general overview and he sat me down and was all "hey so your car is hosed, it needs a complete suspension and brake overhaul and the cost of the repairs would run your more than the actual value of the car, I'd recommend just letting the state buy it back and junk it for a grand and putting it towards something new." This was only a month or two after I brought it in for the annual smog check and "safety inspection" which turned up absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I grew up in north orange county in the 90s. Took the bus for both junior high snd high school until I lucked out with a car in senior year. The tradeoff was that I had to drive my younger brother everywhere.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jumbo jacks were a dollar. I ate so much jack in the box in high school. Probably explains why I still have a craving for those tacos.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

El Mero Mero posted:

When I went to school in rural Idaho and Wyoming a bus would literally come miles out directly to my door stop. We'd spend an hour each morning wandering through backroads. Sometimes the bus would have to follow a plow to get out there.

I get using Muni for places with dense enought extant transit lines, but outside of a critical mass of mass transit availability it's so absolutely hosed that this state doesn't have busses.

my vague memories of my time going to school in the central valley involved buses. we walked after we moved into town (somewhere in Livermore) vov

that said, in comparison, in semi-urban virginia buses were available and used by nigh everyone, even our almost exclusively rich white suburb. said bus was, however, entirely rich white suburb kids; the poor black kids closer to downtown had their own routes

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zisky posted:

What in the gently caress?

I took the bus because I was in a magnet program in middle school (circa 2001/2002) but I distinctly remember lots of non-magnet kids also took the bus. When did that change?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in semi-urban virginia buses were available and used by nigh everyone, even our almost exclusively rich white suburb. said bus was, however, entirely rich white suburb kids; the poor black kids closer to downtown had their own routes
Everyone bemoaning the lack of school busses should maybe take a minute to read up on how a district like LAUSD was so stuffed full of kids in the 90s that busses were used to ship kids from local communities to "less impacted" schools and how well that turned out.

Also consider the logistical cluster gently caress of pulling up at a nice mid-20th century apartment block with no parking and figuring out which kid goes where :classiclol:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I mean yeah, where you have dense enough good public transit you don't need school buses.

I dare anyone to even try and say that exists in any county in California but LA and San Francisco (and even those ones are super spotty.)

If I hadn't had school buses I'd literally be illiterate lol because there's no way my parents could have gotten me to a school.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I guess it is time for California to officially codify abortion as a right since it seems like that is going away at a federal level.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CompeAnansi posted:

I guess it is time for California to officially codify abortion as a right since it seems like that is going away at a federal level.

there was a push to put it in the constitution late last night by the governor

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-05-02/newsom-lawmakers-say-california-constitution-should-explicitly-protect-abortion-rights

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the safety inspection is supposed to be part of the emissions testing

of course, if you have a car that qualifies you don't need to do it, which includes: diesel engines, hybrids, electrics, cars 6 years old and newer, lol
I have been present when my 12-year-old gas-powered car was smogged. They tested the smog. That was it. No brakes, no tires, no headlights, no nothin'.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CompeAnansi posted:

Apparently the ruling could also undermine Lawrence v Texas and Obergefell v Hodges, so some protections for LGBT people may also be in order. It's time to prepare for a serious wave of reaction from SCOTUS.

E: it's like bolt down anything valuable because there's a tornado coming.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 3, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
UNDER HIS EYE!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

quarantinethepast posted:

it's like bolt down anything valuable because there's a tornado coming.
So true. That is exactly how it feels right now. And the more we get into the state constitution, the better, because I could see republicans trying to pass a federal ban on abortion (or gay marriage) next time they control everything if the protections are removed by the courts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If we're gonna add things to the state constitution can we just write a new one already. The one we've got is bloated as hell.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I do enjoy that the lobbyists discovered the One Weird Trick to stop laws they wrote from constantly being shot down as unconstitutional and then the California Supreme Court went, "yeah nah we're gonna strike them down anyway"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If SCOTUS goes full dark ages and Obergefell were overturned wouldn't Prop 8 go right back into effect? It was never removed from the state constitution as far as I'm aware.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If SCOTUS goes full dark ages and Obergefell were overturned wouldn't Prop 8 go right back into effect? It was never removed from the state constitution as far as I'm aware.

It was ruled unconstitutional on the state level and the Supreme Court/Ninth Circuit previously ruled they didn't have jurisdiction to overrule that, so Prop 8 is dead.

However California marriage licenses are only worth so much when the federal government doesn't recognize your marriage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surely the state will step up and give people tax credits etc when they can't get them federally anymore. Lol.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of which I hear the gas tax rebate thingy Newsom was proposing is tied up in legislature hell because they want to means test the poo poo out of it. lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Up next: interracial marriage. Lmao gently caress republicans

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This country is awesome, frankly. I'm kind of on the edge of my seat to see how bad things can really get.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tayter Swift posted:

Speaking of which I hear the gas tax rebate thingy Newsom was proposing is tied up in legislature hell because they want to means test the poo poo out of it. lol

Lol, gonna spend more money implementing means testing than they save

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I live in a district that still has school buses, but a bus pass for your kid costs $575. I can see why a lot of parents balk at that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SolarFire2 posted:

I live in a district that still has school buses, but a bus pass for your kid costs $575. I can see why a lot of parents balk at that.

Wow, that is more than the average price of gas for a year (~$400).

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

This country is awesome, frankly. I'm kind of on the edge of my seat to see how bad things can really get.

Time for the nation of Pacifica (CA plus OR and WA, if they're down. Maaaaybe NV if they ask nicely)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SolarFire2 posted:

I live in a district that still has school buses, but a bus pass for your kid costs

Holy poo poo, I never even considered this to be a possibility

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SolarFire2 posted:

My first HS had no school bus service, charged $250 a semester for a parking pass, and wouldn't even sell parking passes to non-seniors even though plenty of Juniors and even some Sophomores had their licenses. Lotta kids just said lol gently caress that and would park in the surrounding neighborhoods and parks, and the school's response was to have the campus sheriff (lol) troll around the outlying streets and harass any students they saw parking off campus. And I say "harass" because there was actually nothing illegal about parking any of those spaces and they couldn't be ticketed, but maybe some dumb kids could be bullied by a badge to tell their parents they have to pay up for a pass.

Meanwhile there was a massive community college just a mile or so away that charged like $30 for a full semester parking pass, lol.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Family Values posted:

Time for the nation of Pacifica (CA plus OR and WA, if they're down. Maaaaybe NV if they ask nicely)

Long Mexico

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My only hope is that if a federal ban somehow gets passed that California will basically say nope, we’re still allowing them, make us stop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tayter Swift posted:

Holy poo poo, I never even considered this to be a possibility
LA offered discounted bus passes for students. I think it was $25 a month or something?
You received the application from the attendance office and you got a sticker to put on the card every month.

They also used to do Week passes for like $7-12.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

CompeAnansi posted:

My only hope is that if a federal ban somehow gets passed that California will basically say nope, we’re still allowing them, make us stop.

That's not how it would work. If there's a federal ban, then it would be a federal crime for a doctor to provide an abortion. Meaning, they would be arrested and tried in federal court. The feds don't need the state's permission to enforce federal laws, so unless we're going to war to kick out federal law enforcement it wouldn't matter what CA law says about it.

Technically this is the situation that weed is in right now, but I imagine enforcement would be a lot more vigorous from an R controlled gov that was able to pass the ban.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CompeAnansi posted:

Even if there was political will to do this a lot of it will come down to how much authority the civil government can actually exercise over police. If SCOTUS or a GOP super majority declares fetal personhood then to effectively ignore that we have to get the police to ignore it, and get them to not cooperate with the wave of federal agents who will absolutely get sicced on the state to shut down abortion clinics and arrest providers. This will maybe happen in some of the blue coastal counties but will certainly not be the case in more conservative areas of the state. So if you're a woman in need of an abortion in Mariposa or Modoc you're still going to have to travel pretty far to find a place where they're accessable even under the best of circumstances. I guess the governor could deploy the national guard to protect abortion clinics but a) keeping the guard mobilized indefinitely is prohibitively expensive for the state and b) all it takes is a republican president to decide no actually and federalize it out from under the governor to nip the whole thing in the bud.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The state won't even enforce it's own ban on local/state police cooperating with ICE and we're expecting them to, what, kick all the feds out of the state? Who's gonna stop federal cops from dragging you into the circuit court in Sacramento?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol remember when a bunch of sheriffs all announced that they would not be enforcing travel bans, curfews, and bans on gatherings right around that thanksgiving

iirc the sacramento sheriff even included masking mandates on his NUH UH list, presumably while hifiving the placer county guy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The LA sheriff has said on camera he wants to put "wokeness" out of it's misery in the next year.

It's an election year and he's probably gonna win.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah our police force is full to bursting with shithead fascists who'd unironically get their rocks off at the prospect of enforcing an abortion ban. If we couldn't even get them to enforce mask mandates then they're certainly not going to be forced to go against a federal ban on abortion. And what few enclaves if any managed to somehow wrangle them and keep a couple clinics open will be absolutely flooded with federal enforcement agents.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
historically speaking the only thing that got this state and it's forces to mobilize like that was keeping starving poor people out during the dust bowl so frankly I don't have much confidence in anything happening besides Newsom doing some more preening in the newspapers before the legislature quietly kills any attempt at doing anything in some committee meeting. make sure to vote Democrat this year!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FilthyImp posted:

LA offered discounted bus passes for students. I think it was $25 a month or something?
You received the application from the attendance office and you got a sticker to put on the card every month.

They also used to do Week passes for like $7-12.

SJSU has an agreement with VTA that allows free unlimited rides on bus and light rail. Not sure why school districts couldn't negotiate the same (other than money, I suppose, but it isn't like CSUs haven't been cut to the bone, too)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Same with UCSD, at least 10 years ago.

My guess is there's less drunk 15 year Olds with access to cars and with money around!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

San Diego is making their entire transit system free to everyone under 18 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

They've started construction on the new billion dollar expansion of the capital building.