Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Boudreau has been pretty vocal about his desire to stay and build something in Vancouver. I think it's too much of a PR disaster to let him go after "Bruce There It Is" was the first piece of positive organic marketing that came out of the team in a decade, but I get the desire for Allvin and Rutherford to make it their team. Honestly, I'm pretty okay with a strip back the fat year where they suck again because the prize for being bad in 2023 is the best since McDavid.
Do you really think we’d be last in the league without Bruce but also without trading our star players (at least until the deadline)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

grack posted:

Right, Benning will be the Assistant GM

gently caress my life. It's going to be a rough, rough many years for Sharks fans in the near future.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

Do you really think we’d be last in the league without Bruce but also without trading our star players (at least until the deadline)?

By strip back the fat I mean trading guys like Miller and/or Horvat this summer.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
The sports writers in Winnipeg all seem to be convinced Scheifele is getting traded this off season and that Stastny was specifically talking about Scheifele in his post game presser.

Scheifele has really taken a turn for the worse over the last couple of seasons as far as his engagement and dedication to the team goes.

I'm okay with a PPG #1 C being traded as long as the return is good. Chevy has done fairly well in trading big names so far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
An aging, overpaid offense-first player who's a raging rear end in a top hat and not as good or as important as he delusionally thinks he is.... why, he sounds like an Edmonton Oiler already.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I think the Canucks' roster has a lot of issues, but they're crazy if they want to compete and let Bruce go IMO. If they're planning to do a decent rebuild then yeah, but he is their best coaching hope for next year I think.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

ThinkTank posted:

By strip back the fat I mean trading guys like Miller and/or Horvat this summer.

They can ship off Demko somewhere that has a chance too, guy deserves better than wasting another 3 years (minimum) or whatever of his prime for a rebuild

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

aejix posted:

They can ship off Demko somewhere that has a chance too, guy deserves better than wasting another 3 years (minimum) or whatever of his prime for a rebuild

literally no chance in any universe they trade demko

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

allvin and rutherford have been taking shots at boudreau in the media all year. they hate the dump and chase style he coaches and they think the team's slow starts are related to boudreau's disinterest in game preparation and general lack of attention to detail. saying they won't pick up his option is just them trying to get him to quit, i think

also the canucks can't bottom out with demko on the roster so no matter what happens next year they'll still be at the very least mediocre

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's Boudreau that has the option though, isn't it? The tweet on the last page isn't super clear but I took away from it that JR doesn't really want him back and is hoping someone else hires him so he doesn't have to fire him and pay three coaches next year/deal with the PR headache. Also possible ownership is like "y'know what I think paying two coaches next year is plenty enough" so JR is trying to provoke Boudreau to skedaddle of his own accord so he can hire someone else.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

heehee posted:

literally no chance in any universe they trade demko

Yeah I know, we're just spitballing if they did decide to blow it up this summer

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

millers basically gone unless he takes something like $6x8, im too attached to boeser/horvat to want em traded

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

millers basically gone unless he takes something like $6x8, im too attached to boeser/horvat to want em traded

I'm really not that invested in anyone on the team. They've been bad so long I haven't found myself really rooting any one player in particular. I was more connected to players like Manny Malhotra and Raffi Torres back in 2011 than I am to Brock Boeser today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I'm really not that invested in anyone on the team. They've been bad so long I haven't found myself really rooting any one player in particular. I was more connected to players like Manny Malhotra and Raffi Torres back in 2011 than I am to Brock Boeser today.

loved that last Leafs game, eh?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Didnt Malhotra play like half his career with one eye?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Ah, so strip all of the meat except Hughes and maybe Demko?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt Malhotra play like half his career with one eye?

just everything from the 2011 Stanley cup on, nbd. he also went from being a solid third liner who was an elite faceoff guy to being one of the absolute worst players in the league who was still kicking people's asses on faceoffs just out of instinct and muscle memory i guess, idk.

2015:

2013:

2008:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/mdefranks/status/1521971401007280137?s=21&t=H5i6Otj4pD1JHfq4Iyi0hg
You can take the predator out of the nhl...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

Ah, so strip all of the meat except Hughes and maybe Demko?

Pettersson is cool too, but the list of guys this team shouldn't be at least moderately interested in moving should be pretty short. You can't get sentimental and excited with a team that's been this bad for this long based on one kinda entertaining half season. That was the whole issue with the Benning era.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

podkolzin is sick as balls

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's Boudreau that has the option though, isn't it? The tweet on the last page isn't super clear but I took away from it that JR doesn't really want him back and is hoping someone else hires him so he doesn't have to fire him and pay three coaches next year/deal with the PR headache. Also possible ownership is like "y'know what I think paying two coaches next year is plenty enough" so JR is trying to provoke Boudreau to skedaddle of his own accord so he can hire someone else.

it's a mutual option or something. both have to exercise. jr basically said they'll exercise their half of the option and bring boudreau back but also said they won't talk extension until some unspecified point in the future and oh also by the way the team needs to play with more structure and only won because they got elite goaltending and they're badly prepared for game days. there's basically no chance boudreau is back next year

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

I think the Stars take some share of the blame here for rehabilitating his image after he washed out of Montreal, and quite frankly probably covering up his original sexual assaults on his nanny when he was living in Dallas.

there's some disturbing poo poo in the news tonight

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

podkolzin is sick as balls

Neither he nor Hoglander is likely to be anyone of consequence in the NHL so if the team can move them for an upgrade, they do it. Hoglander especially is a guy they will likely have to trade to dump the Myers contract.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

I think the Stars take some share of the blame here for rehabilitating his image after he washed out of Montreal, and quite frankly probably covering up his original sexual assaults on his nanny when he was living in Dallas.

there's some disturbing poo poo in the news tonight

Yeah he got away way too cleanly from Dallas

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Koth posted:

The sports writers in Winnipeg all seem to be convinced Scheifele is getting traded this off season and that Stastny was specifically talking about Scheifele in his post game presser.

Scheifele has really taken a turn for the worse over the last couple of seasons as far as his engagement and dedication to the team goes.

I'm okay with a PPG #1 C being traded as long as the return is good. Chevy has done fairly well in trading big names so far.

yeah but they're going to hire Randy Carlyle so what does it matter?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duck Rodgers posted:

Arniels wife still lives in Winnipeg and has for his whole career, his kids are grown and left for university now but he still has a lot of reasons to want to work for Winnipeg. Maybe, hopefully he's learned something about coaching since his stint with CBJ.

In fairness to him, he should have been taken out back and shot as coach well before the literal halfway point of the 2011-12 season. He wasn't great, but Howson was too patient and hoped things would get better, much as he did with Steve Mason until JD came in and jettisoned them both.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Canucks have a core that you can't tank with - #1 C+D+G with two of them before their prime. They've been a few good moves away from turning it around for a while, but most of their moves other than hiring Boudreau have been terrible. The hockey fan in me wants to see them make those good moves, but the Rangers fan in me wants them to trade Miller for some B-prospects, sign Ryan Strome for 7x7, and bring back AV.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

they're gonna trade miller for lafreniere and the 2023 unprotected first and the rags will be dead last and win the lottery and the canucks will finally be free of all curses

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Part of me wants to speculate about whether Boudreau is waiting to see if the Leafs crash out in the first round this year before exercising his option for next year with Van. He's been very vocal about wanting to coach the Leafs before he retires, they're his favourite childhood team, maybe he thinks he'll have a shot at his dream gig if disaster strikes Toronto in the first round again and coaching/mgmt gets axed.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

FBS posted:

yeah but they're going to hire Randy Carlyle so what does it matter?

I really hope there isn't any truth to that rumor.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

It would be very funny if Canucks management was trying their best to drive out Boudreau and tank next season and Bruce stubbornly wills the team to 40 wins again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

The Canucks have a core that you can't tank with - #1 C+D+G with two of them before their prime. They've been a few good moves away from turning it around for a while

I agree that they're almost there, but they need a lot more young talent as their first retool Core in Horvat and Boeser are reaching free agency. I like Hughes/Pettersson/Demko but my feeling is that those three alone are not anywhere enough as a core to push this team with its hilarious bad luck anywhere near the top of the West, let alone to a Stanley Cup. The top two picks in next year's draft are slam dunks with Bedard being a Vancouver born, unabashed Canucks fan who will likely be a top 3 player in the league by the time he's twenty. If ever there was a year to cash in on Miller, Horvat and Boeser and cross your fingers for some luck, it's this one. Ownership likely won't let management do that, but Rutherford/Allvin seem as unconvinced as I am that the Feb-Apr stretch we just saw was anything other than an aberration.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

To continue the Ruff discussion, I don't mind giving him another year with better assistant coaches for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the Devils' season was torpedoed by horrific goaltending and a lot of injuries to their core players. Their metrics were pretty solid this year and quite good in the second half when their players got healthy. But when Jon Gillies, Nico Daws, and Andrew Hammond are your goaltenders, you lose before you even have a chance.

The second is that had the powerplay executed better, the Devils would have been out in front in more games. Recchi as a player I loved but he's a terrible powerplay coach.

I don't want Ruff to stick around beyond next year but I am willing to give him a chance since the team imo showed marked improvement this season and it does matter that Hughes and Bratt have come alive under him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't understand running a system in 2022-23 that you know for sure is a one year thing. Whats the point?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand running a system in 2022-23 that you know for sure is a one year thing. Whats the point?

Maybe sell some playoff tickets for the first time in 8 years?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Why do you think that they are likely to make the playoffs with the same system that they have been like 30 games under 500 with the last 2 years?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Connor Bedard will sell many tickets for years to come

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Connor Bedard will sell many tickets for years to come

It's going to be both sad and hilarious when Seattle gets the #1 pick next year. At least he'll be close to home?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

It's going to be both sad and hilarious when Seattle gets the #1 pick next year. At least he'll be close to home?

It will destroy me if he goes anywhere other than Vancouver. I am already mentally preparing myself for it.

Michkov is a great consolation prize although sadly he's signed through 2025 in the KHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ruff should be fired but unless the Devils get Vezina quality goaltending sometime soon I'm fine for a few more years of scoring 250 goals and tanking