Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't it the amazing portal boy who invents that?

yes lol

also lmao
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/A_Memory_of_Light/Chapter_14

quote:

During the fight, Canler tells Androl that they heard Androl begging for help, so they decided to come attack Taim's men. Apparently the gateway Androl wove earlier had opened so narrowly that he hadn't been able to see it. He tries to weave a small gateway and suddenly the wall blocking gateways vanishes. Canler and the Two Rivers boys are beginning to lose the fight. Androl creates a gateway the size of a large wagon in front of some Dreadlords and makes it open a few feet behind them. The Dreadlords' own weaves travel through the gateway and come out behind them, killing them and the remaining Myrddraal. He breaks Logain's bonds with a small gateway and opens another gateway under Logain's chair, dropping Logain somewhere far from the Black Tower. Hessalam, Taim, and a couple others escape through a gateway. Androl opens a gateway as wide as the floor, and the remaining Dreadlords drop hundreds of feet, presumably to their deaths.

I'm glad I completely memory holed Androl.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

silvergoose posted:

no, they're asking about the whole "if you travel to a spot, suddenly you can travel from that spot super easy no problem don't have to learn it"

I don't remember when that popped up.

I remember, possibly POD, one of them noting holding the Power was the best way to learn an area. If I'm not wrong, I'd guess that means Sanderson changed the rules

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Barreft posted:

I'm glad I completely memory holed Androl.

I personally liked the creative ways Androl used portals. Bringing up high pressure water from the bottom of the ocean, magma from Dragonmount, killing yourself with your own weaves through portals, even getting a nice refreshing drink from a mountain stream or pulling some tea from his workshop back at the black tower through a tiny portal.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

I personally liked the creative ways Androl used portals. Bringing up high pressure water from the bottom of the ocean, magma from Dragonmount, killing yourself with your own weaves through portals, even getting a nice refreshing drink from a mountain stream or pulling some tea from his workshop back at the black tower through a tiny portal.

Sure but that quote all happened in one section of one chapter in Androl's POV lol. He laid it on too much.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like Androl but his character suffers pretty badly from only showing up in the very last book. He would have been a lot better if his introduction and character arc had gotten some breathing room and didn't have to share the page with the climax of the entire series.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nitrousoxide posted:

One of Sanderson's real strengths is getting really creative within the rules of the systems he, or in this case Robert Jordan, creates.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Given the ending, the name Androl is super on the nose.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know it's purely a matter of taste, but this is exactly why I detested the character. Androl's portal shenanigans is like the fermented shark of WoT.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One of Sanderson's real strengths is getting really creative within the rules of the systems he, or in this case Robert Jordan, creates.

Some say a strength, others say sweaty rules-lawyer-y nerddom.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Androl, it was Rand. And iirc it was during a nyneave pov chapter when rand was eitehr darth rand or zen rand, can't remember which. It was just outside Fal Dara and she was shocked when he opened a rando portal like 5 feet in front of him then opened another one to actually travel.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainFortea posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Androl, it was Rand. And iirc it was during a nyneave pov chapter when rand was eitehr darth rand or zen rand, can't remember which. It was just outside Fal Dara and she was shocked when he opened a rando portal like 5 feet in front of him then opened another one to actually travel.

I think this is right. If not that, it was during a forsaken fight maybe, when he's hopping from gateway to gateway?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I thought it was before the failed negotiations with Borderlanders when he found out they wanted him to go to Far Madding to meet with them. Or maybe it was before the successful negotiations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought it was before the failed negotiations with Borderlanders when he found out they wanted him to go to Far Madding to meet with them. Or maybe it was before the successful negotiations.

Poor Hurin, he was so nice to Lord Rand and Rand was mean to him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I like some of y'all are pretending rules lawyering a magic system is purely a Sanderson thing in a thread about Robert "ask me about all my incredibly specific edge-case angreal" Jordan

It's part of the reason that Sanderson was such a good choice to finish it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug: he turned it up a notch or two, is all

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't it the amazing portal boy who invents that?

No, Rand does in Gathering Storm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Given the ending, the name Androl is super on the nose.

I don't get it.

Also IIRC Androl was named for the winner of a charity auction.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:stare: Moiraine in Morocco

Interesting look.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I remember, possibly POD, one of them noting holding the Power was the best way to learn an area. If I'm not wrong, I'd guess that means Sanderson changed the rules

Both are true. Holding the Power helps you learn an area faster for Travelling, but if you do a short range hop using Travelling it's instant. Why you'd need both I don't know.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Both are true. Holding the Power helps you learn an area faster for Travelling, but if you do a short range hop using Travelling it's instant. Why you'd need both I don't know.

Not everyone is powerful enough to waste a spell slot on a gateway just to get out faster.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jedit posted:

I don't get it.

I think it’s a play on the word ‘droll’ with his name.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hexel posted:

Interesting look.

She is so beautiful.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Here's a nice little season 2 wrap up on all the things we know thus far

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/05/04/breaking-its-a-wrap-on-season-two-of-the-wheel-of-time/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol has there been more inevitable betrayal than the Black Tower?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jedit posted:

I don't get it.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/andro-

Wasn’t it Androl and Pevara who figured out male/female channeling in harmony? It’s been a while…

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lol has there been more inevitable betrayal than the Black Tower?
Liandrin?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Liandrin does show up, cackle evilly, then SURPRISE, betrays the Wonder Girls. But that's all over the course of one book. You could see the Black Tower disaster coming, what, five books before it happened?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The first "rogue" Asha'man try for Rand in Book 8, which would make it The Dragon Reborn..... yeah, that's accurate.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hexel posted:

Interesting look.
I glanced at the image when it was a thumbnail and for a split second thought she was there with a bearded Billy Zane

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The first "rogue" Asha'man try for Rand in Book 8, which would make it The Dragon Reborn..... yeah, that's accurate.

Black Tower isn't even started until LoC iirc? It honestly shows up really late in the series and works on a ridiculously compressed time scale as Dumai's Well happens that same book and the Last Battle occurs less than a year later.

Part of it is just how time dilated the books became. You cover over a year just in EotW and TGH, about a year between TGH and FoH and then the remaining books take place in like 10/11 months. It leads to some really odd realizations, like that Egwene spent more time as a Damane than as Amyrlin.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It ain’t WoT but check out this new series Alvaro Morte got. Looks pretty interesting!

https://twitter.com/primevideoes/status/1522154139492532224?s=21&t=NI7ejOaBP9dd3rDx5umeww

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Laniel in Morocco

He must be departing. His caption is: Early flight. Good coffee. Donkey.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLfgJioPFM/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Liandrin does show up, cackle evilly, then SURPRISE, betrays the Wonder Girls. But that's all over the course of one book. You could see the Black Tower disaster coming, what, five books before it happened?

Rand creating an institution that is insanely powerful and potentially demented and loving off is kind of a metaphor for what he thinks the Creator did to Randland.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shageletic posted:

Rand creating an institution that is insanely powerful and potentially demented and loving off is kind of a metaphor for what he thinks the Creator did to Randland.

Yeah I mean, the whole taimandred thing is odd because it's so much better for Rand to create his own Demandred figure rather than Taim just happening to be him in disguise.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still struggle with Taim. Is his ego that loving fragile that he can't handle being number 2? I mean, obviously yes, but people like that just completely baffle me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still struggle with Taim. Is his ego that loving fragile that he can't handle being number 2? I mean, obviously yes, but people like that just completely baffle me.

Taim is entirely defined by his ego. He thought he was the Dragon Reborn and until Rand showed up there wasn't a single other man anywhere who could realistically have challenged him in the power. Rand showing up derailed his plans and then every single interaction they have is Rand insulting and undercutting him in ways that are unconscious on Rand's part but probably humiliating for Taim. Its actually pretty hilarious once you read back with an eye for it because you can see about half a dozen times Taim is just ready to say gently caress it and choke Rand or Logain to death right there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Absolutely yes.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I didn't catch just how condescending and lovely Rand's behavior must have seemed from Taim's perspective before. On my last read I looked for it and hoo boy. Rand's a lot of things but he ain't a good boss most of the time

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know if any of Rand, Mat, or Perrin are good bosses. Mat would probably be the best to work for because he either delegates all authority to you while he goes off to do his own thing or is brilliantly leading you through a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah I didn't catch just how condescending and lovely Rand's behavior must have seemed from Taim's perspective before. On my last read I looked for it and hoo boy. Rand's a lot of things but he ain't a good boss most of the time

Most of Rand's interactions with Taim go like this:

Taim: *breathes audibly*

Lews Therin: KILL HIM!!! KILL HIM NOW!