Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Nothus posted:

What's with the bias against older homes in Japan? Is it a construction industry subsidy?

those bamboo things which fill with water and then tip over like a drinky bird are protected by heritage laws so its TONK TONK TONK all loving night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

is housing good anywhere in the world

like who's got a good housing market right now

Public housing in Vienna is good but you have to go on a waitlist and probably wont get anything these days :/

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

bitmap posted:

those bamboo things which fill with water and then tip over like a drinky bird are protected by heritage laws so its TONK TONK TONK all loving night

they’re called deer scares and they keep some animals away, but yeah, that noise all night might suck, but the closest one to me is like two blocks away, so I don’t notice it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

this reads like the plot to an Ernest movie.

jesus christ wormhole me to the universe where Ernest in the White House exists

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

numerrik posted:

they’re called deer scares and they keep some animals away, but yeah, that noise all night might suck, but the closest one to me is like two blocks away, so I don’t notice it.

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Euphoriaphone posted:

this but we won't even get the nutrient goop

thats because we're not even afforded the grace of the matrix timeline, we live in the ready player one one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

numerrik posted:

i forget that hearing people complain about noise, a thing they take for granted anyways. sucks to be them :tootzzz:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

yeah it;s more like 27000 now oops

that’s kinda the magic of china though isn’t it. per capita gdp has gone up 2.5x since the last time you looked it up

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

i say swears online posted:

you gotta live somewhere, and people tend to move to more expensive places each time
When Americans buy a house, they usually go for the most expensive place they can afford with a 30 year mortgage. I think >90% of mortgages are for 30 year. Hell, even when renting or leasing people still go for the most expensive place they can afford.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

thats because we're not even afforded the grace of the matrix timeline, we live in the ready player one one

it's called ready player two

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

i forget that hearing people complain about noise, a thing they take for granted anyways. sucks to be them :tootzzz:

sound of metal is a documentary

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

When Americans buy a house, they usually go for the most expensive place they can afford with a 30 year mortgage. I think >90% of mortgages are for 30 year. Hell, even when renting or leasing people still go for the most expensive place they can afford.

its more that the baseline is the most expensive they can afford

there are no starter homes anymore

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ammanas posted:

In my neighborhood the 1500sqft ramblers are all being sold for 800k and immediately torn down by builders and replaced by $1.5 million McMansions that just sit for months entirely unoccupied

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m seeing price drops in Duvall and gig harbor.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ammanas posted:

Yeah I just bought a house back in Dec and it was just a bit past what my wife and I could afford (the mortgage is affordable but the repairs it needs means I need a raise or a new job with higher pay). But there wasn't any choice; we both saw the writing on the wall about interest rates getting jacked up so it was then or never. We squeezed in with a 3%, which is good for sure, but lol the joke will be on us when prices drop and we're paying on a house worth less than the loan. Lmao.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

prices do not go down

good luck

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

how long are you locked into 3% (I have never bought a house)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it is a 30 year loan op

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Its fixed, so just 29 years and 7 months left! :pressf:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
prices would have to crater so crazily for me to be underwater on my loan but I have faith in the fragility of our economic system.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

prices would have to crater so crazily for me to be underwater on my loan but I have faith in the fragility of our economic system.

:hmmyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a 1500’ ranch would still be less than 400 where I live so maybe my market is cool

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

it is a 30 year loan op

I'm just glad that as hosed as the US is, we're not one of the countries that has poo poo like a 30-year payoff schedule where you have to renew the mortgage terms every five years or whatever at current market rates (and if nobody will give you a re-up, you have to come up with the full balance immediately).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“we “ do have adjustable rate mortgages they aren’t very popular atm

you can get a fixed rate very easily (relatively !!)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

“we “ do have adjustable rate mortgages they aren’t very popular atm

you can get a fixed rate very easily (relatively !!)

Yeah, people can get ARMs, but they don't have to go through a new qualification period every few years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh no

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m seeing price drops in Duvall and gig harbor.

I know people in Gig Harbor and trust me when I say you could not pay me enough to live there. Crime is so out of control there when I visited them last they insisted I stay the night because there's so many people drunk driving around the Key Peninsula after dark. They told me the crime went up sharply as soon as the Covid stimulus ended. I was driving to the state park and some dude walking along the highway whipped out his junk as I drove past. It's insane.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would like housing prices to go down in places that I actually want to live, rather than Duvall or Gig Harbor

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like housing prices to go down in places that I actually want to live, rather than Duvall or Gig Harbor

pray that amazon/tech stock keeps diving

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

If you have to buy a house when interest rates are high or climbing, then ARMs can make sense with the idea that you would refinance to a fixed rate when interest rates lower. ARMs will typically have a lower initial interest rate then a fixed rate at the time and that allows you to put more money toward the principal potentially saving a ton of money in the long run. Doubly so if you do a 15year ARM, then refinance after like 3 years.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

https://www.century21global.com/property/%E9%BB%84%E9%87%91%E5%9F%8E%E9%81%93619%E5%BC%84-shanghai-china-C21126880406-USD

2 million USD for this!! in a city where the PER CAPITA income is $11,000 USD a year!!!! and its just the first thing I clicked on

if this were a bungalow I’d guess it was in Canada

that bathroom is baller status and that kitchen is way bigger than mine

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

100% federal vacancy tax ramping up for each additional housing unit that is not lived in by the owning entity.

1 primary residence + 1 empty "investment" property = 100% vacancy tax pro-rated weekly
1 residence + 10 investment houses = 10000% vacancy tax, per empty unit.

So blackrocks weekly tax owed would be somewhere around 70 quintillion dollars, and when they couldn't pay it, HUD would repossess houses at fair market value until the bill was paid. Simple.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 20:52 on May 5, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Sorry we need to save all those houses for AirBnB

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah I just bought a house back in Dec and it was just a bit past what my wife and I could afford (the mortgage is affordable but the repairs it needs means I need a raise or a new job with higher pay). But there wasn't any choice; we both saw the writing on the wall about interest rates getting jacked up so it was then or never. We squeezed in with a 3%, which is good for sure, but lol the joke will be on us when prices drop and we're paying on a house worth less than the loan. Lmao.

Congratulations, you are a huge beneficiary of rampant inflation!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

pray that amazon/tech stock keeps diving

what the area needs is a good 30,000 amazon employee layoff

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

Congratulations, you are a huge beneficiary of rampant inflation!

That's true, but I also feel forced into a last-ditch and exceptionally last-minute attempt that I can't entirely afford (as housing prices have bounded out of predatory and into the totally absurd) to make some sort of long-term investment into a property that requires more money than I have to maintain, in the vague hope of a long-term financial security I likely won't live to see.

but lol, so it goes I guess

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bitmap posted:

relax dude its heritage not hate

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

chances of that are very dependent on what area you're in tbh

like a co-worker at my old company who lived in Michigan was underwater on their house until like 2017-2018 after the last crash, but Portland, OR basically just saw a small dip and then held steady

congrats on getting it locked in though, even with issues/deferred maintenance, it seems better than the alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

making an offer on a house today that I don’t really want but literally going to be homeless by mid June otherwise. rental vacancy is basically nil thanks to sharply rising prices and Airbnb, especially living in a tourist area in summer.

wooooo.