Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly does 512 mean in regards to the calculator? Is that just "ordered day 1"? I keep seeing people reference it. A guy earlier who has had a deck for a bit already said it was accurate for them. Mine also ends with 512 but the calculator always seems to push me back further. Now it's just saying June 27 which is literally like the last day valve would send it out. I ordered it like...2 hours or less after the announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

What exactly does 512 mean in regards to the calculator? Is that just "ordered day 1"? I keep seeing people reference it. A guy earlier who has had a deck for a bit already said it was accurate for them. Mine also ends with 512 but the calculator always seems to push me back further. Now it's just saying June 27 which is literally like the last day valve would send it out. I ordered it like...2 hours or less after the announcement.

512 means the storage size.

64/256/512 gb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ohh lol. Duh. I got tripped up because the reserve time on my 256 model ends in 512 so I thought there was some lingo I didn't understand. Carry on.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Kaboobi posted:

Persona 4 Golden and Batman Arkham City were verified today, that’s a lotta game I kinda want to replay

oh man maybe the decks unorthodox caching will fix citys hitchy engine like it did with elden ring.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Persona 4 Golden and Batman Arkham City were verified today, that’s a lotta game I kinda want to replay

yeah, just noticed P4G on my "Great on Deck" tab.

there goes what's left of my free time!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Why isn't p5 on Steam? The deck is absolutely perfect for JRPGs, I might even finish it this time.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Chas McGill posted:

Why isn't p5 on Steam? The deck is absolutely perfect for JRPGs, I might even finish it this time.

#JustAtlusThings

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

give it a couple of years.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm expecting the announcement people think is for Persona 6 to actually be about P4G going to PS4 and maybe P5 (but not necessarily R) going to Steam

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
XBOX remote play(local) is a go!

https://github.com/unknownskl/xbox-xcloud-client

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Devorum posted:

What was the time cutoff for 512 in the last batch for the US? The calculator says I should be getting my email next Monday, but that feels like too soon and I'd like to temper my expectations.
0:19:46 after orders opened up (Reservertime 1626455986)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ugtg42/order_email_megathread_may_02_2022/i71mb18/

I'm 28 minutes after, next week according to calculators and it's likely June at this rate. Or knowing my luck, when I actively could need it the most but I'll be away from home at an event.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

minusX posted:

0:19:46 after orders opened up (Reservertime 1626455986)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ugtg42/order_email_megathread_may_02_2022/i71mb18/

I'm 28 minutes after, next week according to calculators and it's likely June at this rate. Or knowing my luck, when I actively could need it the most but I'll be away from home at an event.

Yeah, I'm exactly 27 minutes which is why I'm skeptical about the May 9th prediction. I'm expecting June.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I'm exactly 27 minutes which is why I'm skeptical about the May 9th prediction. I'm expecting June.
The thing that they can't account for is how many people ordered at which time. If there was a huge population at 17-20 minutes and that's why the queue is slow to go up and then it lowered the amount because of the number of people trying to checkout went down, or the server hiccuped and waited to process orders for 4 minutes.

It's weird because it's first come first serve minus the server load causing crashes on orders. So likely 80% of orders are going to be the first 2 hours and then it's going to become a normal lineup later.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

From what I remember, it sucked that I ended up with a 25-minute-in reservation for the 512gb because I was there right at the release time trying to check out over and over and eventually it locked me out with some sort of "we have limited your account" error message and other people were then free to roll in at the 10 minute mark and place their order.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

From what I remember, it sucked that I ended up with a 25-minute-in reservation for the 512gb because I was there right at the release time trying to check out over and over and eventually it locked me out with some sort of "we have limited your account" error message and other people were then free to roll in at the 10 minute mark and place their order.

I was there right at the start and got stuck in “processing” for hours until they errored my order and gave me the opportunity to buy again (at the back of the queue)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Yep, same thing happened to me. I contacted support about it but they just told me to gently caress off as expected. Calculator says late June for me; honestly I’m kind of okay letting the early adopters shake out the bugs first though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was also there right at release and it still took me like 30 minutes to get through.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

minusX posted:

The thing that they can't account for is how many people ordered at which time. If there was a huge population at 17-20 minutes and that's why the queue is slow to go up and then it lowered the amount because of the number of people trying to checkout went down, or the server hiccuped and waited to process orders for 4 minutes.

It's weird because it's first come first serve minus the server load causing crashes on orders. So likely 80% of orders are going to be the first 2 hours and then it's going to become a normal lineup later.

I was bored this morning so I took a look at the preorder data from the spreadsheet from one of those guesstimate sites. Big caveat here: the people who preordered first are probably most likely to report their preorder and so are possibly over-represented on these spreadsheets. But it does look like there were some hiccups in when the reservation time was assigned.

I just looked at the mid-range model, US orders. For that set there were ~1900 rows in the spreadsheet. Then I just looked at the self-reported reservation time and calculated how many there were every 5 minute window after the start. You can see there's some big clumps every 20 minutes or so, then it's stable. So that does seem to match with the experience of the earliest pre-orerers. I've highlighted the number of people who claim to have had their orders shipped in orange. Most people don't update the spreadsheet so it doesn't show them as shipped.

Incidentally, you might be close with the 80% figure. For the entries on the spreadsheet (again, people who ordered after the first day may be much less likely to report their preorders to these spreadsheets), 80% of the preorders came within 6 hours.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

For the bad fan, maybe try using the black tape trick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WDg_SEBEA

guess I need to try that too. With the fan curve it's great for low load and no load scenarios, but the whining still has such a terribly notable frequency whenever there need to be more rpm.

if it's not gonna be sufficient I'm going to sell the deck and gladly wait for v2. This is such a letdown, after I had the good version and sat next to a lovely lenovo laptop since 2020. Absolutely done with tiny fan noise shenanigans for the rest of my life.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I was bored this morning so I took a look at the preorder data from the spreadsheet from one of those guesstimate sites. Big caveat here: the people who preordered first are probably most likely to report their preorder and so are possibly over-represented on these spreadsheets. But it does look like there were some hiccups in when the reservation time was assigned.

I just looked at the mid-range model, US orders. For that set there were ~1900 rows in the spreadsheet. Then I just looked at the self-reported reservation time and calculated how many there were every 5 minute window after the start. You can see there's some big clumps every 20 minutes or so, then it's stable. So that does seem to match with the experience of the earliest pre-orerers. I've highlighted the number of people who claim to have had their orders shipped in orange. Most people don't update the spreadsheet so it doesn't show them as shipped.

Incidentally, you might be close with the 80% figure. For the entries on the spreadsheet (again, people who ordered after the first day may be much less likely to report their preorders to these spreadsheets), 80% of the preorders came within 6 hours.
This is amazingly cool thanks for doing this! I worry about the data set being a bit loose with people 1) Reporting based off the time they got the e-mail vs the time Valve is reporting they reserved 2) How invested the person is to share this kinda stuff could lead to a poor representation as you said. BUT it's still cool as heck!

I think the biggest reason we're seeing a lot of movement for EU/UK orders WRT max time between wave is due to the fact it legit happened as people slept and that means orders would be lower on average vs "oh hey today is the day for that thing right? let me order!" that a lot of people saw on social/chats and did if they were already awake.

But also cool that I might be close for the estimate! I was going based off the number of 512 people on reddit/thread reporting how fast they got the orders in, it feels like majority would be diehard/whales that "wanted the best and newest toy" and would jump right away.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

minusX posted:

This is amazingly cool thanks for doing this! I worry about the data set being a bit loose with people 1) Reporting based off the time they got the e-mail vs the time Valve is reporting they reserved 2) How invested the person is to share this kinda stuff could lead to a poor representation as you said. BUT it's still cool as heck!

I think the biggest reason we're seeing a lot of movement for EU/UK orders WRT max time between wave is due to the fact it legit happened as people slept and that means orders would be lower on average vs "oh hey today is the day for that thing right? let me order!" that a lot of people saw on social/chats and did if they were already awake.

But also cool that I might be close for the estimate! I was going based off the number of 512 people on reddit/thread reporting how fast they got the orders in, it feels like majority would be diehard/whales that "wanted the best and newest toy" and would jump right away.

It launched at like 17-1800 in UK/Europe. I'm an expat in the Middle East, and it was 2000 when it launched for me (GMT+3).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve yet to get my email, and I’ve decided I’m going to get an Asus Z13 instead, if anyone wants my Q2 spot in line for a 512gb send me a PM and I’ll get it shipped to you whenever the time comes for cost. claimed

e:
also going to be selling my i7 gpd win3 and retro power aya neo 2021, I’ll get them up in SA mart as soon as I have the chance

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 5, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Oh hey I just got the email 45 minutes ago, guess the timeline moved up. Order processed, wohoooo!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Oh hey I just got the email 45 minutes ago, guess the timeline moved up. Order processed, wohoooo!

Congrats! Seems like a lot of things jumped up.

Wulff Den adjusted his opinion of the Steam Deck after the updates that have been pushed out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCm2uaLdUo

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Great keep us apprised if he changes it again pls

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

minusX posted:

Congrats! Seems like a lot of things jumped up.

Wulff Den adjusted his opinion of the Steam Deck after the updates that have been pushed out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCm2uaLdUo

I’ll have to watch this later but he wasn’t exactly wrong in his first video.

The deck is quite rapidly getting better though. The pace they are pushing updates out is pretty amazing.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The deck is quite rapidly getting better though. The pace they are pushing updates out is pretty amazing.

Oh yeah he starts off with "What I said when I said it was mostly true, they've just addressed a lot of it. Also I didn't know how much I'd end up using it."

Still thinks the preorder is stupid but idk sure it would be nice if everyone could walk in and get anything for gaming at MSRP but...the world.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's the alternative? Just put it on store shelves and have it sell out instantly with an even more aggressive scalper market? A preorder/queue system is the only one that makes sense when stock is limited, and I say that as a member of the Q3 gang. I feel better knowing I'll get it eventually for the price Valve set instead of having to constantly monitor stock alerts and F5 store pages for weeks/months on end while trying to compete with botters.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's the alternative? Just put it on store shelves and have it sell out instantly with an even more aggressive scalper market? A preorder/queue system is the only one that makes sense when stock is limited, and I say that as a member of the Q3 gang.

Agreed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah his stance on the pre-order is fuckin wild.

One of the dumbest takes tbh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused what he thinks would happen? If you changed it most people wouldn’t get it any faster

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Sounds like he doesn't understand how "reality" works and still believes things he was taught as a child.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I'm assuming it comes from the adage not to preorder games, which is reasonable advice for games. Hardware's different since there's physical scarcity and everything. Valve is also doing it in a pretty friendly way, since it's just $5 that's automatically refunded to the Steam wallet if you don't go through with the purchase, without action needed on your part.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the $5 even counts towards your order

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I think in a perfect world Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft should do the same. Nothing gets my anxiety up more than an approaching release date for a Nintendo console. The Wii release was a crazy time to be alive. I felt lucky to have a spot in the back of a lovely old Walmart that allowed me to wait 11 hours to buy one, they had people walk you to your car afterwards because of the fear of muggers.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I think in a perfect world Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft should do the same. Nothing gets my anxiety up more than an approaching release date for a Nintendo console. The Wii release was a crazy time to be alive. I felt lucky to have a spot in the back of a lovely old Walmart that allowed me to wait 11 hours to buy one, they had people walk you to your car afterwards because of the fear of muggers.
Hey it made getting a PS3 easier of an ask when my mom couldn't find a Wii "Well there's another console I want but it's a lot more".

And if it's not clear I'm in the camp of the preorder being really fair and hard to make better. Would've been nice to have the servers stay up and also explain the process of how stuff is shipping a bit better vs the invested people.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
An order priority lottery is probably the only way it could have been made fairer, though I doubt most buyers would have been any happier with that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Path of exile just got controller support and is working on deck if that's your thing!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Path of exile just got controller support and is working on deck if that's your thing!

Oh snaps! Thanks for the heads up!

There was another really popular ARPG that has controller support but disables it at 720p lol

I’m sure PoE runs great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

"I didn't realize there were games available on Steam that weren't available on the Switch" is also a wild thing to come from a reviewer.

I do agree that the hardware is in a Beta state, though it's a very solid beta that is absolutely useable.

Also playing 30xx on a keyboard is equally crazy.