Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't care if it takes us months to get there, I wanna see Ian go overboard on a cruise ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Sigh, okay, so the next few days of Funky Winkerbean will be a circlejerk over how smugly important their comic about climate change is, finishing off with a boring cover on Sunday with a tip of the felt-cap to someone or other. There Tombat, I predicted it all, can we move on?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Couldn't they help climate change by not printing it at all? Everyone wins!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was wondering that but I wasn't sure if I was misremembering, since I have a very unphotographic memory and wasn't sure if they decided not to get together after the troll case.

They did in fact get together, and stay together for quite a while after!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Trilobite posted:

I know how foolish it is to hope for things in Mary Worth, but my heart really, really wants this to be the lead-up to a storyline about Ian cheating on his wife with his ex-student. It would be the most soap-opera a soap-opera strip has been in, like, a century.

This is pretty much what I'm hoping for too.

I'm still not over that strip where she's peering at them through binoculars going "I SEE YOU!" absolute legend

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Also, please enjoy Georgia Dunn's take on B. Kliban for National Cartoonist's Day, I saw it and couldn't not post it:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Monya the Grey: Start chapter 9

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

They're acting like he's just said something absolutely insane, but if he really doesn't have a preference for chowder then it makes sense. (also Manhattan Chowder is clearly inferior)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Green Intern posted:

They're acting like he's just said something absolutely insane, but if he really doesn't have a preference for chowder then it makes sense. (also Manhattan Chowder is clearly inferior)

"Vincent Price posted:

This is the true, the authentic clam chowder invented and relished by seagoing New Englanders, and a favorite there for generations. There is something called Manhattan Clam Chowder made with tomatoes and therefore a ruddy color, but your proper Bostonian will have nothing to do with that aberrant form. Locke-Ober's recipe is for the pale cream-colored soup to which you may add a dusting of paprika for color, no more. As far as flavor is concerned, it doesn't even need that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hell yeah, go off Vincent.

Build A Little Funny Online Animal In Your Soul

It's Bizarre How It Took This Long For Insects To Reach Mainstream Economic Recognition In A Wider Environment When They Spent Centuries Metaphorically Autocannibalizing Themselves Instead But I Guess That's Just Capitalism

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "196 - Jucika's Discreet Phone"

"197 - Jucika Is Friend Of The Animals"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Hwurmp posted:

always carry a sexy maid costume, for emergencies

Always wear sexy lingerie that you can strip down to like a super hero, and do just that often

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 9/5/48

YES! Get his rear end, Ann!

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

This comic is growing on me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powerful Katrinka posted:

This comic is growing on me

It's got that GoodBad art and some really interesting faces

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 12-14, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (March 6-8, 1919; timg'd over the usual issues...just a little bit smaller and off to one side this time.)

Dok's Field-Thinning Duck (February 11, 1914)
And we're skipping a day because...

Little Lefty (July 16-19, 1936...and our Sunday plus-one)

Blondie (From Zero) (January 14-16, 1932)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special again posting now since I might not get to it tomorrow

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Poor Claire. Finally she cracks.

Apologies to the audience for the fart trapped in the puffer. I don’t know what I was thinking. I wrote this story very quickly and I’ve got about two days before I have to start thinking what the next one is. There are options on the slate. We’ll see.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

catlord posted:

Wisdom from Vincent Price

Thank you Mr. Price, RIP.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 11-12, 1991)

Nate. Seriously. You have ONE friend stop doing this.

Old School Peanuts (Jul 14, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 22-23, 1991)

Two classics I remember fondly.

No Blind Alley today

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 10, 1919

And He Did! May 21, 1919

Cat Tales April 20, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 19, 1936

Mopsy December 28, 1937

Up Front April 10, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 9, 1952

Those Were the Days June 2, 1960

Wee Pals July 12, 1966

Dogbert April 5, 1967

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Today I got to work and saw a Breaking Cat News collection on the break room table. The boss's wife saw it at a bookstore and thought it looked cute. I'm happy to see the strip appear outside of our little bubble here.

Whut

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

The level of crime the Street Sweeper deals with seems like he's going to start actually sweeping litter off the street soon.

Still better than Phoenix Jones.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

coronatae posted:

Also, please enjoy Georgia Dunn's take on B. Kliban for National Cartoonist's Day, I saw it and couldn't not post it:

This is a great take on one of my favorites.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Is that.... is that a dick joke? In *Luann*??

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Unfortunately there's only limited mention of Pal, primarily by what seem to be scans of Ludas Matyi that took the internet by storm by total memetic luck. Here's one of the rarer overviews I could find if I google "Iván és Joe", which also yields example strips in the GIS. Jucika was briefly popular enough to get a few passionate translators, finding Ivan and Joes getting the same treatment seems too big an ask.

Which is a shame as I'd totally buy big hardback collections of Pal's work in a heartbeat! Maybe if there's a community of eastern European comic diehards? You'd need somebody holding 70+ year old print comics, or maybe getting lucky and there were collection prints over there.

Aw dang

coronatae posted:

Aw yeah

Also, Vincent Price really did kick rear end. Been listening to his turn as Simon Templar in the radio version of the Saint - it's bizarre to hear his voice as the hero.

But enough on that! For this first time this week, Blueberry on time! Where: Blueberry adds impersonating a officer of the law on to his extremely long list of crims..., or I'm glad to see that the average intelligence of the U.S. army soldier has kept consistent since times of yore, or Blueberry gets out-maneuvered

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (December 12-14, 1921)

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this comic, especially the barrage of old-timey slang. It's so charming, in what feels like an interesting sort of hyper-naturalistic way--like a concentrated version of reality. Thanks for posting it!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
I didn't deserve to have to see either of these things. None of us did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The idea that college students are children is very Luann, in more ways than one.

Anyway the actual solution is everyone gets the same amount of time to allocate to the privacy hut each month. The total is less than the overall time available so the last person isn't left with bad slots and so there can be spontaneous privacy sessions. Everyone gets one colour pen to enter their slots so you can see at a glance when someone goes over. You can only reserve one month in advance, and maybe you rotate who gets to go first each month.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"No university wants to be known as the place where children lose their virginity" I mean it seems to work for Arizona State

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Those rainy days can get even top drug lords in Fingerpori.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Choosing to interpret this as him wistfully thinking of all the stealing he'd do, if only he had the time.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

bonus from twitter:
https://twitter.com/dresshistories/status/1522008071593242626

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

I didn't deserve to have to see either of these things. None of us did.
no no, i'm listening. elon musk is a combination of a man whose attempts to further humanity were done entirely out of personal financial interest, a desperate cheat forever living in the shadow of a relative's wealth, an intergalactic conman only one bad day away from selling sex slaves, and finally a being whose power is only matched by his childishness. that sounds pretty accurate.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
There was a brief period in my life, back when SpaceX was first really starting to succeed at stuff, that I kind of liked Musk. I'm glad I snapped out of that.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 11, 1951)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

coronatae posted:

weird as hell to see the cats drawn sans clothes tbh

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fire the Intelligent Life guy into the sun.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Today I got to work and saw a Breaking Cat News collection on the break room table. The boss's wife saw it at a bookstore and thought it looked cute. I'm happy to see the strip appear outside of our little bubble here.

Whut

Luann fans are deeply deranged and should probably be on some kind of list.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The idea that college students are children is very Luann, in more ways than one.

Anyway the actual solution is everyone gets the same amount of time to allocate to the privacy hut each month. The total is less than the overall time available so the last person isn't left with bad slots and so there can be spontaneous privacy sessions. Everyone gets one colour pen to enter their slots so you can see at a glance when someone goes over. You can only reserve one month in advance, and maybe you rotate who gets to go first each month.

Also curtains are barely any privacy at all and the whole thing is flawed in construction.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy - 1947

5/3

5/6

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

But wait... even if Mrs. Nelson hadn't texted her, Curtis still just told his mom that he was slacking in class. Did he think he would only get in trouble for doing it if it came from the teacher?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Yoshimoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ukonvasara posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this comic, especially the barrage of old-timey slang. It's so charming, in what feels like an interesting sort of hyper-naturalistic way--like a concentrated version of reality. Thanks for posting it!
:tipshat:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 3, 1934)

Peanuts (May 9, 1975)

Just in time to miss Earth Day 2022 by exactly two weeks, it's another Funky Winkerbean environmental strip!

Just as a reminder, on actual Earth Day he was wrapping up his pointless time-travel digression.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 6, 1938)

Out Our Way (October 6-8, 1938)

The Goldie/Moonfixer situation hasn't resolved so much as it found another gear.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 6, 2022