Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Xiahou Dun posted:

How many brain worms does it take to believe in even a Fermi estimate of these numbers?

Just gonna ignore the bit about the Executive because yeah that's supposed to either be neutral or explicitly of the President, but when exactly was Biden supposed to have taken over the Judiciary? The openly conservative and hugely activist Supreme Court that Trump is responsible for?

Where are these 80 senators and 348 members of the House?

What the gently caress?

Your mistake is actually thinking about something you heard instead of feeling it. If you just stopped using on your brain and used your heart pit of burning hatred it would all make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The Conservatives - "gently caress your feelings!" (Because they hurt my feelings!)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Xiahou Dun posted:

How many brain worms does it take to believe in even a Fermi estimate of these numbers?

Just gonna ignore the bit about the Executive because yeah that's supposed to either be neutral or explicitly of the President, but when exactly was Biden supposed to have taken over the Judiciary? The openly conservative and hugely activist Supreme Court that Trump is responsible for?

What the gently caress?

In that Freeper’s mind, every Congressperson and SCOTUS justice who hasn’t called the Biden presidency illegitimate has been “commandeered.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm more interested in learning of the 20 good senators.

e: If you google John Neely Kennedy, junior senator for the great state of Louisiana, it suggests "how many senators do we have in Louisiana". About right. God save the South. Why do I like it here??

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 29, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the gently caress?

Because I enjoy punching myself in the nuts I looked into what the actual intelligent Republican justification is for this rhetoric.

The line of thought is that because the constitution says that the state legislatures choose electors then those rules can not be interpreted through the lens of the state constitution or state laws.

So, if you extend that thought, there is no mechanism for a popular vote that can’t be overturned by the state legislature at any arbitrary point in time. That no matter what the state constitution says or the legislation previously passed and made state law requires they can always just ignore that if they choose.

So, anyone acting contrary to this wild theory, that is people who think that the state constitution and state laws
bind the state legislatures choice of electors, has been co-opted by the nefarious left for the crime of following the law.

Obviously this theory of government is absurd so also obviously Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh have all said they agree with it. Presumably, Barrett does too and that’s why she was forced through just ahead of the election however she wasn’t seated in time to rule on any of the relevant cases.

Edit: none of this changes the fact that no state legislature actually attempted to certify a different set of electors than the one mandated by their states laws so is moot from a 2020 election point of view anyway.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 29, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Murgos posted:

Because I enjoy punching myself in the nuts I looked into what the actual intelligent Republican justification is for this rhetoric.

The line of thought is that because the constitution says that the state legislatures choose electors then those rules can not be interpreted through the lens of the state constitution or state laws.

So, if you extend that thought, there is no mechanism for a popular vote that can’t be overturned by the state legislature at any arbitrary point in time. That no matter what the state constitution says or the legislation previously passed and made state law requires they can always just ignore that if they choose.

So, anyone acting contrary to this wild theory, that is people who think that the state constitution and state laws
bind the state legislatures choice of electors, has been co-opted by the nefarious left for the crime of following the law.

Obviously this theory of government is absurd so also obviously Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh have all said they agree with it. Presumably, Barrett does too and that’s why she was forced through just ahead of the election however she wasn’t seated in time to rule on any of the relevant cases.

Edit: none of this changes the fact that no state legislature actually attempted to certify a different set of electors than the one mandated by their states laws so is moot from a 2020 election point of view anyway.

I thought a couple of states tried to send two slates?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Neito posted:

I think some of Trump's cronies tried to persuade Senators from certain states to get those state legislatures to do so, but I don't think any actually did. Some individuals tried to form their own slates of electors but I don't think these groups were legally sanctioned by any actual state legislature.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

In this reading, what would even be the point of voting? Like, yes I know that killing democracy is the goal, but what's the internal justification for having people go out and sign little pieces of paper saying who they'd want to be elected? Increase the national confetti reserve?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Neito posted:

Whats that from again?

Ted Rall's obituary for Roger Ebert.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In this reading, what would even be the point of voting? Like, yes I know that killing democracy is the goal, but what's the internal justification for having people go out and sign little pieces of paper saying who they'd want to be elected? Increase the national confetti reserve?

In a system where the state legislature can just say "Yeah we think that the Dems cheated so all our electors are voting for the Republican instead" I assume the point of voting is so that if the Republican does win, they can use it to say "See x% of the country agrees with us that all Dems should be imprisoned."

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

These types of people rationalize it by claiming that voting/democracy is fine in theory, but this election was stolen by *THEM* rigging the count/voting fraudulently/destroying valid Republican votes/etc., and now we need to take extraordinary steps to undo the bad election. In other words: not all elections are bad, just this particular election that happened not to go the way I wanted it to. And also this one. And this one too.

In reality, yes, it has been suggested that such rhetoric may discourage people from voting. Some folks have suggested that part of the reason the Dems won both 2020 Senate elections in Georgia was because Trump spent the weeks between the general election and the runoff discrediting the election, which had the effect of discouraging the base from going out to vote in the runoff.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

From the court's perspective? None. The founders intended the president to be selected by political elites from each state, so that's the way it should be, if elites want to have a vote that's up to them as is whether they respect the vote or not, if it's a sham that's fine too.

From the perspective of republican voters and politicians? The outer narrative is that the voters will choose the president democratically, but it's crucial to establish that the legislature has the right to step in and pick the winner unilaterally in case there's cheating and the courts refuse to act because the benches are stacked with deep state pedophiles

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Neito posted:

There were multiple attempts to send alternate slates of electors however none of those alternate slates was ever certified by any of those states.

Federal law requires that the states certify that the slate of electors sent to congress be the correct slate according to various requirements such as all court cases disputing it have been resolved.

The people who sent documents to congress and the archives that purport to be slates of electors but weren’t the certified slates probably committed fraud and the DOJ has said they are investigating this.

There are Republicans arguing that the federal laws requiring certification are unconstitutional but that doesn’t seem to have much traction. Mostly they seem to be focusing on ambiguity in the phrasing since the law governing it was written in 1873. Part of Pence’s argument for why he couldn’t just reject slates was because those slates were certified according to federal law and there were no other alternate slates that were also certified. Not that this stopped Cruz and Hawley from rejecting them anyway.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

As noted above the constitution doesn't require that there is a popular vote for president (it does require a popular vote for appointment to congress).

quote:

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

It's specifically, "in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, " that is the straw they are grasping at. To anyone who thinks about it for 10 seconds the 'Manner as the Legislature therof directed' is the laws of the state and that the laws of the state are subject to the states constitution.

Every state, either by law or constitution, or both, requires a popular vote to determine electors and is bound by that vote.

That's the manner how legislatures direct things. They make laws. That's what that means unless you are a republican who just wants Trump to be president and then welp, gently caress laws.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 29, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

From what I understand it's the whole "the legislature directed" that's the point of contention considering how 2020's election was. This is why the Stop the Steal idiots are making a big deal about things like the governor of a state extending early voting by two weeks, because that's not the legislature and therefore he doesn't have the power to change election laws/procedures, meaning that any votes cast during that time shouldn't be counted or whatever. Obviously this doesn't apply to every argument they're making but to them it's a good foothold to try and pass laws to limit the governor's power.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

From what I understand it's the whole "the legislature directed" that's the point of contention considering how 2020's election was. This is why the Stop the Steal idiots are making a big deal about things like the governor of a state extending early voting by two weeks, because that's not the legislature and therefore he doesn't have the power to change election laws/procedures, meaning that any votes cast during that time shouldn't be counted or whatever. Obviously this doesn't apply to every argument they're making but to them it's a good foothold to try and pass laws to limit the governor's power.

Right, except the part where when those acts were challenged in court and the courts sided with the expanded interpretation for all the reasons they did so, up to and including previous legislative acts or constitutional authority giving the governors (or secs of state) that power.

So we're down to "well the legislature has the power and that isn't subject to state laws and constitutions".

Yes, the republican argument is that Democrats only won because they followed all the laws instead of just the laws we like.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 29, 2022

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
e: lol

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

lol you actually believe Tara "Unironic Putin Stan" Reade. gently caress this poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

All mods are zampolit

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Whoops

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A bunch of edits and funny words and I'm so confused.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Captain Log posted:

A bunch of edits and funny words and I'm so confused.

I followed the quote, thinking I had missed something major, but it dumps into a weird anti-Joe rant from 2021.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neito posted:

I followed the quote, thinking I had missed something major, but it dumps into a weird anti-Joe rant from 2021.

This is the only thread I visit in these parts, because life is stressful enough.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Captain Log posted:

This is the only thread I visit in these parts, because life is stressful enough.

Welp, I wouldn't come here for content for the next week or so.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Leaked Draft Supreme Court Opinion Overturns Roe v. Wade, Politico Reports
Oh my word, those poor judges :qq:

quote:

To: bitt
A shame that these deliberations have been leaked. Maybe the court rules sooner than it might otherwise. Hate to see months of bullying the court.

3 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:05:39 PM by Reno89519 (FJB. Respect America, Embrace America, Buy American, Hire American.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Classic freep.

quote:

To: RetiredTexasVet
Ketanji Brown Jackson

8 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:09:43 PM by Torahman (Remember the Maccabees)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Torahman
She is Not on the Court yet, but has all the inside relationships. She is not bound by clerk protocols.

12 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:12:54 PM by Torahman (Remember the Maccabees)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Torahman
Ketanji, BINGO! Or one of her new clerks who doesn’t even know if she’s a woman or not.

25 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:23:15 PM by CivilWarBrewing (Get off my b"ack for my usage of CAPS, especially you snowflake males! MAN UP!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Reno89519
RHIS IS A COMMI ATTEMPT RO PRESSURE RHE COURT, AND DO VIOLENCE AGAINST JUSTICES! WE CAN NOT CO- EXIST WITH THESE TRAITORS!

18 posted on 05/02/2022 7:15:35 PM PDT by cowboyusa (America Cowboy up! S Matter)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: cowboyusa
Let’s be real.

John Roberts has already changed his Vote.

He’s not facing his angry fans.

40 posted on 05/02/2022 7:46:30 PM PDT by AnthonySoprano (Cornpop was a bad dude)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

As opposed to xerox :rolleyes:

quote:

To: CurlyDave
May have to go back to using the typewriter or stenographers in the age of the internet and keep the copies locked away until time to release and distribute. Word processor documents that can be e-mailed makes it very easy to leak something.

21 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:17:29 PM by Republican Wildcat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

quote:

You just knew that the communists that infest the SCOTUS facility would pull this crap...

They are simply getting ahead of the game and beginning a propaganda offensive to dismantle or “reform” the SCOTUS...

My bet is that Roberts will roll over and spread his legs...

I’d begin applying garage-door pull-downs to any “new” communist member of the court who may have been appointed before there was a vacancy, but was granted physical presence in the SCOTUS premises...

Fortunately, we have the magnificent FBI (our own special keystone cops) to step in and find the miscreant ASAP...

28 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:28:41 PM by SuperLuminal (Where is another Sam Adams now that we desperately need him?)

quote:

The split of the USA into 2+ countries is going to happen at some point.

The question is...will it be a peaceful divorce? Or, a bloodbath.

I’d fight for a new republic. And, I’d fight for the unborn and their mothers as part of the efforts to create a country where you have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

How about you?

32 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:40:13 PM by Sapwolf (Talkers are usually more articulate than doers, since talk is their specialty. -Sowell)

quote:

Whoever leaked it kust pit several Justices lives in danger. And their families.

People need to hang for this!!!

37 posted on 5/2/2022, 7:45:15 PM by Basket_of_Deplorables (Putin is behaving rationally.The war is on Biden and Obama. )

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"garage-door pull-downs"?

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I'm just assuming it's racial violence because freep.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Xiahou Dun posted:

"garage-door pull-downs"?

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I'm just assuming it's racial violence because freep.

Probably yanking the release cord on a garage door opener so the door falls down fast. Most likely on said person.

Usual roundabout call for murder that serves as republican discourse.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
it's just a new exercise they're doing in addition to tanning their balls to prepare for rahowa

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

OAquinas posted:

Probably yanking the release cord on a garage door opener so the door falls down fast. Most likely on said person.

Usual roundabout call for murder that serves as republican discourse.

I believe it's a reference to the noose that black NASCAR driver found hanging from a garage door a few years ago.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Georgia Peach posted:

I believe it's a reference to the noose that black NASCAR driver found hanging from a garage door a few years ago.

That's it! Good memory.

Still a roundabout call for murder.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

quote:

RHIS IS A COMMI ATTEMPT RO PRESSURE RHE COURT

Did Scooby Doo hijack this Freeper's account?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did Scooby Doo hijack this Freeper's account?

Of all the things going on in that one, "CO- EXIST" bugs me the most. What kind of dweeb puts a space after a hyphen like that?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Georgia Peach posted:

I think they meant to write pat-down instead of pull-down. They want Ketanji Brown Jackson physically frisked before she's allowed in the building.

edit: Brown Jackson, not Jackson Brown. Getting my justices and songwriters confused.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 6, 2022

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

I think they meant to write pat-down instead of pull-down. They want Ketanji Brown Jackson physically frisked before she's allowed in the building.

edit: Brown Jackson, not Jackson Brown. Getting my justices and songwriters confused.

It's this:

Georgia Peach posted:

They're saying "hang judges that rule differently than I want"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Clarification the nascar driver has a noose placed on his garage. He wasn’t killed, just threatened. He was the guy that got confederate flags banned. Great fanbase you have there, nascar.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Not to defend Nascar, but the door pull that was tied like a noose had apparently been on that garage for some time, but Bubba Wallace saw it and assumed it was intentionally placed there as a threat.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Karma Comedian posted:

They're saying "hang judges that rule differently than I want"

They probably believe that, but it doesn't make as much sense in context and would be a really roundabout reference. I'm not trying to defend a Freeper here.

"Justice Jackson should be stopped-and-frisked upon entering or leaving the Supreme Court because she is naturally predisposed to theft" is still an astoundingly bigoted thing to say. Still calling for institutionalized racial violence, they just want it to come from uniformed officers as part of standard procedure rather than a lynching or act of lone wolf terrorism.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

They probably believe that, but it doesn't make as much sense in context and would be a really roundabout reference. I'm not trying to defend a Freeper here.

"Justice Jackson should be stopped-and-frisked upon entering or leaving the Supreme Court because she is naturally predisposed to theft" is still an astoundingly bigoted thing to say. Still calling for institutionalized racial violence, they just want it to come from uniformed officers as part of standard procedure rather than a lynching or act of lone wolf terrorism.

"Garage door pull down" is a specific reference to the NASCAR Bubba Wallace Garage door pull down noose thing. It's commonly referenced among freepers list of grievances, however obscure or roundabout it may seem.

"Garage door pat down" otoh doesn't make any sense at all.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Okay, but how does that locate an Intel leak?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Okay, but how does that locate an Intel leak?

They're not interested in finding the leak, they've already decided who is guilty.:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Karma Comedian posted:

They're not interested in finding the leak, they've already decided who is guilty.:ssh:

This point I fully agree with.