Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i don't have kids but shut the gently caress up about having children lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

T-Paine posted:

I'm going to pee in your eye but it's not my fault it's because of society, bucko

I didn't even get a vote about where these sewer pipes would outlet and it's loving bullshit but everybody poops.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
For every child you all don't have, I'm going to have three.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

Hey guys goon project, let's make whiny bad posts admonishing people for talking about doing the one thing individuals can do that's easy, free, and has an outsized impact on your carbon footprint. Doing nothing to ease your contribution to the apocalypse is cringe reddit poo poo
(Y axis is metric tons of CO2 saved)

remember that only counts if you were going to have a kid but refuse to do so for climate reasons only. if you were never going to have a kid then there are no emissions avoided.

and even then that assumes a lot about the specifics that we can't know. like if this thread is correct and the child is going to die horrifically in the next 10-15 years, they're carbon footprint is going to be massively lower than that chart depicts.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

skipmyseashells posted:

I’m waiting for the rimes to show up saying we need to nuke India/China/Africa for a chance to save the (white) world

When I still thought it would achieve any meaningful course correction I advocated for nuking the white world, champ, but at this point it's just funny to see people glossing over that and continuing to trot me out as if I am the ur-racist boogeyman of the forums.

Especially since, you know, it's obvious that as a species we're all trapped in the gas chamber regardless of race color or creed and if you are posting on these forums it is overwhelmingly your lifestyle which put us there and welded the door shut over the past three decades. I hope your comfortable convenience, sitting atop a pyramid of consumer production built upon a foundation of incomprehensible suffering and slavery in the developing world, was worth the death of all life on earth. :tipshat:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rime has issued a correction as of 17:54 on May 6, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kyojin posted:

This thread is the cause of and solution to all the problems in the other threads

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My kid is the lmao to my lol

lotta solid quotes today, I like it. :hmmyes:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Trabisnikof posted:

remember that only counts if you were going to have a kid but refuse to do so for climate reasons only. if you were never going to have a kid then there are no emissions avoided.
This is happening to a lot of people, it's a big part of their decision not have kids (google it, along with therapists starting to specialize in climate anxiety there's a ton of articles about people hesitating to have kids over climate concerns). Of course it doesn't apply to incels or eunuchs or whatever. So what?

quote:

and even then that assumes a lot about the specifics that we can't know. like if this thread is correct and the child is going to die horrifically in the next 10-15 years, they're carbon footprint is going to be massively lower than that chart depicts.
C...cool?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
in a daydream, I have invented swabs like lead tests, but for plastic

i proceed to paint the world red

i am momentarily surprised when even the bark of the trees turn red. then i realize the air itself is red as it passes over the swab, and i am consumed by a red mist of plastic detection

nomad2020 posted:

as the bread and circuses get wound down, the two things that will (should, looking at history) increase is loving and drugs. this may be balanced out by an increased childhood mortality as the healthcare apparatus is wound down.
I'm doing my part on both fronts, and the manner in which I am making drugs is also helping the bread and circuses wind down because you're looking at a room with 2 15a circuits and an average load of 1kw. The colors may look green, but this operation is a loving smokestack and that grinds me a bit. I gently caress with light power a lot and have a bunch of automation set up to try to reduce the amount of heated or cooled air I am just exhausting, but, again, I'm one fucker doing this on this scale for me, multiply this waste by however many industrial farms that are however many orders of magnitude bigger. And there's no loving reason for it, if the state didn't have dumbass laws about how many plants I am allowed to have I'd just grow like 10 during the summer and turn this into a workshop. (What's pictured is clearly more than sufficient for general personal use for a normal person, but I am not normal and I also like to give a lot away to people who can't or shouldn't be spending cash on it).

also hey while I'm doing pictorials look at this bearing I spent $200 to replace (vs like $75?? two years ago?). Because it's still a good structural hinge and we do weird art poo poo this is getting the rough parts ground off and then it will sit in a box until we're doing something where we need a large weight-bearing thing (though, not that weight bearing, as this was squeaking and on the edge of probably sending the wheel into the ditch).

Anyway there's one bearing and I bet my little town of 1200 went through at least 120 of these things this year, it's a huge hunk of metal and if you don't ask your mechanic to let you keep all the busted poo poo and deal with the weird looks that entails, at best it probably gets melted in some lossy and dirty process?

gently caress! I hate cars. I am trying to sell my motorcycle. It's an objectively cleaner way to get a lot of the places I need to get, but I also think if I don't stop before I am badly hurt that's how it will end.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-Paine posted:

This is happening to a lot of people, it's a big part of their decision not have kids (google it, along with therapists starting to specialize in climate anxiety there's a ton of articles about people hesitating to have kids over climate concerns). Of course it doesn't apply to incels or eunuchs or whatever. So what?

because claiming avoided emissions that aren't actually avoided is the best way to pretend to be doing something about climate while actually doing nothing.

like a coal company that claims they avoided emissions by not mining coal that is too expensive to mine, that doesn't actually reduce emissions from the coal company at all even if someone said "climate" at the board meeting.

T-Paine posted:

C...cool?

just kinda silly to use an estimate of the carbon impact of children that includes living 70+ years at an American standard of living and current levels of consumption while also arguing it is too cruel to have kids because they're doomed to starve to death before they turn 21.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

just kinda silly to use an estimate of the carbon impact of children that includes living 70+ years at an American standard of living and current levels of consumption while also arguing it is too cruel to have kids because they're doomed to starve to death before they turn 21.

you're right, it's mainly the "avoiding consigning my offspring to horrible climate death" thing for me. I don't really care about carbon footprints.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my Gen X dad told me he wouldn't have had me if he knew what the world he was bringing me into was going to become so maybe that's something millennial couples can consider when they are in turn considering having children

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Anyway there's one bearing and I bet my little town of 1200 went through at least 120 of these things this year, it's a huge hunk of metal and if you don't ask your mechanic to let you keep all the busted poo poo and deal with the weird looks that entails, at best it probably gets melted in some lossy and dirty process?

gently caress! I hate cars. I am trying to sell my motorcycle. It's an objectively cleaner way to get a lot of the places I need to get, but I also think if I don't stop before I am badly hurt that's how it will end.
I have some bad news for you re the cleanliness/planetary stewardshipof the auto maintenance profession.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

*IK hat on*

No more talking about not having kids unless said avoided children are considered a valid carbon offset within a legitimate emissions trading framework.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how much plastic is in my bones

probably too much

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

take_it_slow posted:

*IK hat on*

No more talking about not having kids unless said avoided children are considered a valid carbon offset within a legitimate emissions trading framework.

By not having a child I just offset all of my emissions for the rest of my life. How many trees have all of you child havers planted? :smug:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

my Gen X dad told me he wouldn't have had me if he knew what the world he was bringing me into was going to become so maybe that's something millennial couples can consider when they are in turn considering having children

young dad … must be nice to do young man stuff together

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its better to be an uncle or a aunt than a parent because u can give the kids back when ur sick of their poo poo (figuratively and literally, depending on age)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Trabisnikof posted:

Whatever I've been avoiding at least one trans-Atlantic flight every day for my entire life. I've helped SO MUCH

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I have turned countless women lesbian and saved gigatons of carbon emissions

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

T-Paine posted:

Hey guys goon project, let's make whiny bad posts admonishing people for talking about doing the one thing individuals can do that's easy, free, and has an outsized impact on your carbon footprint. Doing nothing to ease your contribution to the apocalypse is cringe reddit poo poo

lol if you think the next generation will have the ability to spend that much carbon

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the rubber seal on our washing machine has started falling to bits and now it's pissing water all over the floor when we do a wash

getting it repaired costs fully half of the cost of what we paid for the machine originally and now I'm torn over whether it's worth it or if I should just buy a new machine

it's 18 months old, lol. love my disposable white goods. capitalism really is the most efficient way to engineer a machine that will just barely outlive its warranty

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TACD posted:

the rubber seal on our washing machine has started falling to bits and now it's pissing water all over the floor when we do a wash

getting it repaired costs fully half of the cost of what we paid for the machine originally and now I'm torn over whether it's worth it or if I should just buy a new machine

it's 18 months old, lol. love my disposable white goods. capitalism really is the most efficient way to engineer a machine that will just barely outlive its warranty

have you tried searching youtube for a how to video, to see if it's feasible to do it yourself? It might be easier than you think!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TACD posted:

https://www.appliancerepair.homedepot.com/ has parts for just about anything you could imagine, and there are videos on youtube to show you how to replace just about everything that tends to fail on anything on a regular basis.

EDIT: Fixing your broken poo poo is a good way to do your part and stop climate change! I've had the same cheap TV for like 15 years because I was able to look up how to replace the bad capacitors when it stopped turning on

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 18:51 on May 6, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dog Case posted:

https://www.appliancerepair.homedepot.com/ has parts for just about anything you could imagine, and there are videos on youtube to show you how to replace just about everything that tends to fail on anything on a regular basis.

EDIT: Fixing your broken poo poo is a good way to do your part and stop climate change! I've had the same cheap TV for like 15 years because I was able to look up how to replace the bad capacitors when it stopped turning on

My 2018 TV just stopped working last summer. Google led me to where I could buy a box of replacement circuit boards for $100. I bought the circuit boards, popped the back off, replaced the power supply, and put it back together, and BOOM, TV works again. Now not only do I have backups of the other board, I also have the old power supply's part number if I need another one.

When I told my mom about it, she asked why I didn't just buy a new TV. I'd much rather spend $100 to find out I need a new TV, than spend $1200 on a new TV that could have been fixed for $100.

EDIT:
But yeah, a rubber gasket, is probably pretty loving easy to replace on a washing machine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Complications posted:

By not having a child I just offset all of my emissions for the rest of my life. How many trees have all of you child havers planted? :smug:

shittons, but I live in a big agricultural area and I think child labor laws are bullshit that were invented to prevent proper character development

Iron Crowned posted:

My 2018 TV just stopped working last summer. Google led me to where I could buy a box of replacement circuit boards for $100. I bought the circuit boards, popped the back off, replaced the power supply, and put it back together, and BOOM, TV works again. Now not only do I have backups of the other board, I also have the old power supply's part number if I need another one.

my first ever flat screen (720p, 32", $1000 in 2005 lol) died in like 2009, but a friend from high school (also the person who led me to this godforsaken site...) googled it and came to a similar conclusion. He replaced the power supply for like a fifty bucks and I think he's still using it.

I haven't bought a monitor in years, jobs keep sending them to me. I am currently looking at a widescreen 32" with a vertical 27" next to it, another 27" on the wall showing the IP cams, and there's another computer behind me with 2x27s. These are all fairly nice or better, and I paid for one of them. I didn't even requisition most of the others, they just got mailed to me at some point Because Capitalism?

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 19:26 on May 6, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

shittons, but I live in a big agricultural area and I think child labor laws are bullshit that were invented to prevent proper character development

don’t worry our society will smoothly pivot to child slave labor once microplastics and multiple rounds of covid disable every person over the age of 12. number go up!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

don’t worry our society will smoothly pivot to child slave labor once microplastics and multiple rounds of covid disable every person over the age of 12. number go up!

if life expectancy falls back to like 22 or something, is it even child labor once the small human is old enough to hold a tool? "childhood" is, in some way, relative to longevity

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Fly Molo posted:

i wonder how much plastic is in my bones

probably too much

More than none so yeah

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

T-Paine posted:

lmao an unironic carbon footprint post

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

have you tried searching youtube for a how to video, to see if it's feasible to do it yourself? It might be easier than you think!
yeah that's a good point, a rubber seal is maybe something even I could replace without loving it up

Dog Case posted:

sadly I'm in the UK but there's probably an equivalent here as well, I'll have a look around

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what would having one fewer child than none entail exactly

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kater posted:

You eat one of your children.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well you'd have to eat someone else's child.

But really you want to sequester the child's carbon which eating doesn't really do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

humans themselves are mostly atmospheric carbon, even with our current levels of enplasticing, so allowing that carbon to get released isn’t on the same scale of bad as anything that releases carbon from fossil sources

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

you will be forced to listen to a thousand media creatures doing their best owlofcreamcheese for a decade (while nothing happens ofc)

gently caress. i'm an accelerationist now.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

r/childfree and goon climate thread recurring debates are just the early warning. just like all our other hyper-idiotic discourse lowering cultural regressions we tend to merely be a few years ahead of things going mainstream/widespread on facebook and network news. not that those even mean as much as tiktok anymore.

every dumb debate you saw in a climage change thread here for the last three years is going mainstream in the next three. you will be forced to listen to a thousand media creatures doing their best owlofcreamcheese for a decade (while nothing happens ofc)

that's too much doom no thank you

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Rime posted:

When I still thought it would achieve any meaningful course correction I advocated for nuking the white world, champ, but at this point it's just funny to see people glossing over that and continuing to trot me out as if I am the ur-racist boogeyman of the forums.

Especially since, you know, it's obvious that as a species we're all trapped in the gas chamber regardless of race color or creed and if you are posting on these forums it is overwhelmingly your lifestyle which put us there and welded the door shut over the past three decades. I hope your comfortable convenience, sitting atop a pyramid of consumer production built upon a foundation of incomprehensible suffering and slavery in the developing world, was worth the death of all life on earth. :tipshat:

drat, you're right, i do participate in society

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well you'd have to eat someone else's child.

But really you want to sequester the child's carbon which eating doesn't really do.

poop into a jar and roll it into an abandoned mine

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

kater posted:

divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you guys are exuding a lot of nervous meltdown may energy this week. have you tried chilling out and thinking about how cool eternity will be without your consciousness once the universe finally lets you die?
its gonna own.