Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I mean it is funny to watch the tories implode and if these results were reflected in the next GE I suppose I'd rather have PM Kieth than the alternative but drat I can't help but think a labour win by default under centrists might actually be the worst case scenario long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

As a long-term humiliation fetishist, I’m a Starmer fan

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

On my estate there's a house with three flagpoles: one with the Union Jack, one with the Irish flag, and one with a Jolly Roger. I have never really known what to make of it.
There's one around here with a :britain:, a :911:, and a loving full sized railway semaphore.

I guess the train signal is the least bad of the three, and stops trains carelessly proceeding down the back street miles from any rail, but :psyduck:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
John Swinney, he's in the Ra

https://twitter.com/thetimesscot/status/1522535698787704832?t=E-LjH5PDASoH79j54-f-zQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Whatever it was it's already gone. Screenshots, please

Lol

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

But as of I think yesterday, it started flying an irish flag with a clover in the middle.

So I am now extremely confused about someone who is britnat enough to have a flagpole but also apparently has just been conquered by Ireland??

My instinct is to guess that they're not really BritNats, but have a flagpole because they like flying colourful bits of cloth and enough baseline patriotism/national identity that they fly a Union Jack by default. Perhaps they've got visitors over from Ireland, or they're a bit behind on celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

There's a house near me with a flagpole that half the time flies a UJ, but the rest of the time flies virtually any flag that's vaguely relevant- Irish flag on St. Patrick's Day, English, Scottish and Welsh flags on appropriate saints' days, the Tricolor on Bastille Day, the Stars and Stripes on 4th July, the Red Flag on May Day etc. The rainbow/pride flag goes up there for a few days every few months, the Ukranian flag has made a lot of recent appearances, and sometimes there are (seemingly random) county flags, the Jolly Roger or the Smiley Face rave flag (before it was co-opted by anti-mask types).

I think they just Really Like Flags.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The local fash Green won over the Labour activist by a small margin.

Not too surprised tbh I've had like a half-dozen full-page (fash) leaflets from him and only a single a5 one from labour.

Also he's a lecturer that always wins points in Cambridge somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my phone keeps autocorrecting starmer to starter

the keith starter is when you order a bottle of beer and nothing else at a restaurant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

the keith starter is when you order a bottle of beer and nothing else at a restaurant.

Main course: four more beers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ash Crimson posted:

Are the tories still getting pumped lmao

They're losing pretty hard, yeah

Looks like they're mostly haemorrhaging votes to the Lib Dems

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NI Status: coming, thick and fast

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Contrary to the name, the keith starter is what he has after the whiskey has run out.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lol my ward's in, it's a landslide for the traffic lights at the Dekebone roundabout party. clean sweep, & it wasn't even close

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thurso & North-West Caithness: Lib Dems stage 1, Independent stage 1, Tory stage 2, SNP stage 5
-1 Independent, +1 Lib Dem

21 wards out of 21 returned so your final results are

Independents - 21
SNP - 22
Conservative - 10
Lib Dem - 15
Labour - 2
Green - 4
Alba - gently caress all, the big losers

So from the 2017 results that's
Independents -7
SNP 0
Conservative 0
Lib Dem +5
Labour -1
Green +3

So the Lib Dem comeback is on in the Highlands. +5 councillors isn't a huge deal, but some of the seats they gained they went from 6th or 7th in first preference votes last time to 1st or 2nd this time, but then the Highlands had been a liberal stronghold for most of the past 130-140 years so makes some sense. Mostly I think a lot of established independent councillors retired which is why their number is down. Chuffed for the Greens.

Nobody has a majority but then the last time anyone had a majority was 2003, & that was the independent group, back in the days before STV. And looking at the results of 2003 I've discovered one candidate in Lochcarron was Neveille-Suzanette MacDonald-Rolfe of the Countryside Party. Fortunately they lost but if you've that many names and are running for office I bet you own masses of the land.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 6, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

so it looks like the tories are being punished, but instead of labour reaping the benefits from their centre right electability scheme, most of the votes are going anywhere except labour.

i don't think they'll learn anything from that or change at all but it seems pretty clear that this is a failure. it isn't working even on the very small minded terms it set for itself.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/BernieTranders/status/1522599165791985665

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Contrary to the name, the keith starter is what he has after the whiskey has run out.

WTF makes it Premium?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Labour won in our ward (only 1 post) with 46%. Tory 29%. Independent 19%, Green 5%.
Not sure what the overall county is yet though I saw a fair sprinkling of labour but also of tory on the council website.

Unsurprisingly, the ward in our town which is one of the most wealthy in Wales stayed tory, the ward which is one of the 20% most deprived in Wales yet to report (was conservative - but until recently included a new 'executive homes' estate built on a flood plain :rollyeyes: but I heard they made a new ward but I don't remember the name of it).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 6, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mrpwase posted:

On my estate there's a house with three flagpoles: one with the Union Jack, one with the Irish flag, and one with a Jolly Roger. I have never really known what to make of it.
I was worried when I saw a flagpole nearby but this morning they were flying the Star Wars rebel alliance fleg, so now I have no idea.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Private Speech posted:

The local fash Green won over the Labour activist by a small margin.

Not too surprised tbh I've had like a half-dozen full-page (fash) leaflets from him and only a single a5 one from labour.

Also he's a lecturer that always wins points in Cambridge somehow.

What's a fash green?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mega Comrade posted:

What's a fash green?

I posted about it earlier, but more police, neighbourhood watch, no homeless, block affordable housing.

That's the entire list of policies.

I also posted the Labour candidate manifesto which was the complete opposite. Though admittedly that doesn't apply to Labour nationally.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

What's a fash green?

I assume it's like what we have round here: would vote tory if it wasn't for BoJo. NIMBYism and probably Terfy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was worried when I saw a flagpole nearby but this morning they were flying the Star Wars rebel alliance fleg, so now I have no idea.

One of my former comrades flies the hammer and sickle over his allotment (for years now, not a new thing), so one of the other allotments put up 3 regimental flags. Another one has got the welsh dragon. And I'm sure there's an Indonesian one down there too but I never remember to take a photo and by the time I get home to google I've forgotten what it looks like.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Coming up to 300 seats lost for tories lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

WTF makes it Premium?
You use a monogrammed hanky to partake in it.

Mega Comrade posted:

What's a fash green?
Jorian_Jenks

e:
:discourse:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

From what I've seen so far, greens not doing so well in my county 5-7% so I won't be surprised if it ends up NOC. Seems that it's basically a Tory/Labour stand off with the results so far but still some wards to report in. Off for my nanna nap so I guess it'll be all over by the time I wake up!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

“May the 4th Be With You”, it's Star Wars Day, were they late? :wookie:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Coming up to 300 seats lost for tories lmao

BBC News had it over 350

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tories took a whipping in Scotland, absolute pounding. Greens did really well, and regardless of what Scottish political pundits tell you about this being bad for the SNP, this is their strongest performance in the locals after 15 years in gov.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

“May the 4th Be With You”, it's Star Wars Day, were they late? :wookie:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If I bought a house that had a flagpole I dunno what flag I’d fly TBH. Sounds like quite a responsibility if it’s the only flagpole in the area.

roomtone posted:

so it looks like the tories are being punished, but instead of labour reaping the benefits from their centre right electability scheme, most of the votes are going anywhere except labour.
This honestly sounds like the best possible outcome

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean it is funny to watch the tories implode and if these results were reflected in the next GE I suppose I'd rather have PM Kieth than the alternative but drat I can't help but think a labour win by default under centrists might actually be the worst case scenario long term

Not sure why you think it would be bad, bleeding votes to the left must surely make Starmer's team reflect and-

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1522506778818326528

oh

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Not sure why you think it would be bad, bleeding votes to the left must surely make Starmer's team reflect and-

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1522506778818326528

oh

If you presented this out-of-context, I reckon 90% of people would believe it's parody

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kingturnip posted:

If you presented this out-of-context, I reckon 90% of people would believe it's parody

Oh believe me, I spent a good 15 minutes looking for evidence of the joke before I posted it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wuruwururgh vote luhbuh for wuhthuhs orugunals und relaxed plunning permussion for conservatories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TACD posted:

If I bought a house that had a flagpole I dunno what flag I’d fly TBH. Sounds like quite a responsibility if it’s the only flagpole in the area.

This honestly sounds like the best possible outcome

My house in Canada has a flagpole holder. I couldn't see it when I bought the place but I trimmed my bush (ooh er) and now my deck looks bigger I can see it.

I doubt I'll be flying a flag. There are 2+ people on my street flying Canadian flags. It's way more common here but my neighbour said that people who fly them are typically ex-forces or ex-RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police - who aren't actually all mounted anymore, they're just the national/federal police).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ELUSTICATED TROUSERS THEY SELL IN SUNDAY PAYPUHS RAWRWRUWURUWUUWUGH

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2024 - All Labour party political adverts are a cross between life insurance ads with people who were famous once in the 80s, dubious kitchen gadgets, and bowel medicines.

Terry Butcher turning and twiddling a bunch of handles on a red plastic device while looking like he's about to shite his pants, fade out to New New Labour logo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would suggest flying the makhnovist flag but I suspect everyone would assume you were cheering on russia lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Great stuff