Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Larryb posted:

Another cartoon question, how well do the following shows still hold up (I have not watched any of them but I’m considering it):

Steven Universe
Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
Miraculous Ladybug

I haven't seen the last one, but I feel both of the others still hold up though you might want to skip the final season for both, depending. Personally I feel SU started out stronger, but by the end I found myself enjoying Star more. Regardless, I'd recommend them both as good shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Huh, I just realized that The Owl House basically copied its first set of end credits from Star Vs (either that or it was an intentional homage)

Also in regards to Ladybug, why did the originally planned 2D series fall through out of curiosity? It looked really good based on the promos I’ve seen at least

They've both definitely got the same vibe, but I think they're both kinda taking from anime credit sequences, that are usually more chill and low-action, and I think back in the day they might've even been recycling looped animation sequences to make things more cheaply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZdGBB6Kit8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJIVECGJ09Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Bf1tZwNNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3SvVpEYr40

No idea about how any french animation works on the production side.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
SU starts off a bit shaky but once it finds it’s footing it’s fantastic. It absolutely holds up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

They've both definitely got the same vibe, but I think they're both kinda taking from anime credit sequences, that are usually more chill and low-action, and I think back in the day they might've even been recycling looped animation sequences to make things more cheaply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZdGBB6Kit8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJIVECGJ09Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Bf1tZwNNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3SvVpEYr40

No idea about how any french animation works on the production side.

Yeah, fair enough

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to Ladybug, why did the originally planned 2D series fall through out of curiosity? It looked really good based on the promos I’ve seen at least

They got told to eat poo poo by the money men with some crap about 2D being for very young audiances if I recall corectly.

Then the showrunner, Thomas Astruc, went quite, quite mad and took the show down the tubes with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

They got told to eat poo poo by the money men with some crap about 2D being for very young audiances if I recall corectly.

Then the showrunner, Thomas Astruc, went quite, quite mad and took the show down the tubes with him.

Ah, so would you say the final product is still worth a watch then or does it go downhill fast?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also it seems in Naruto, Sakura is kind of consistently terribly written. She's just unnecessarily mean to the main character for no reason even when he starts winning all the fights and literally saving her life multiple times. All she does is get in trouble and moon over Sasuke in the main series.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SU I liked quite a bit when I first watched it, but when the movie came out I started a rewatch and found that i liked the show waaaaay less on a second viewing. Totally petered out somewhere in s4 after trying to get back into it some 3 or 4 times.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Ah, so would you say the final product is still worth a watch then or does it go downhill fast?

Its one of those slow hidenbergs. I'd only recomend it if your morbidly curios.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

Eh, I'm enjoying it. Just be prepared for MOTW stretches between plot advancing episodes, though that seems to be happening less and less. Its at least kid friendly if that's a concern.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Season 2 does have a great payoff though for the 2 seasons of build up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

Eh, I'm enjoying it. Just be prepared for MOTW stretches between plot advancing episodes, though that seems to be happening less and less. Its at least kid friendly if that's a concern.

I’m the only one that’s going to be watching it so no (and as a fan of Sentai/Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, and Precure I’m used to that kind of stuff). Is the series still going or was Season 4 the last of it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it seems in Naruto, Sakura is kind of consistently terribly written. She's just unnecessarily mean to the main character for no reason even when he starts winning all the fights and literally saving her life multiple times. All she does is get in trouble and moon over Sasuke in the main series.

Doesn't help that she has literally nothing interesting to her as a Ninja until Shippuden, hell she barely even fights during the first series if we discount filler

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Larryb posted:

Another cartoon question, how well do the following shows still hold up (I have not watched any of them but I’m considering it):

Steven Universe
Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
Miraculous Ladybug

I am entirely confident that you will enjoy Steven Universe based solely on your having a Life Is Strange avatar. Rose Quartz is Rachel Amber if she was an 8-foot-tall magical rock alien.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I would recommend to stay away because it'll hook you. You keep thinking "this show is almost kind of good, I'm sure they'll work out the kinks" but they never do. And yet you keep watching.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

drrockso20 posted:

Doesn't help that she has literally nothing interesting to her as a Ninja until Shippuden, hell she barely even fights during the first series if we discount filler
It was pretty annoying that for the longest time she didn’t even have her own gimmick power, so any of the games just gave her generic stuff. I think they experimented with like, she could punch good? Then she learned, um, healing? I think?

I can’t even remember anymore, it was that bland a characterization.

I’ve heard that the main girl character in Boruto is also sidelined after awhile because they didn’t know what to do with her either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Steven Universe is still very good. It starts off meandering and takes a while to set up the plot, but it kicks into gear about halfway through the first season and doesn't let up. The epilogue series is a bit frustrating in how it ties up most, but not all, of the thematic loose ends, and does so in a way that may not quite sit well with your interpretation of its more ethically charged metaphors.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If it seems like your thing I enjoyed Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix. The first season was overall stronger, but the second season isn't bad and has some funny jokes and really strong emotional beats at times due to the central conflict.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I posted this in its respective thread as well but here’s a nice little interview with Amphibia creator Matt Braly regarding the approaching end and the show in general:

https://www.thewrap.com/amphibia-ending-season-3-matt-braly-interview-disney/

It also gives some info on the upcoming Marcy’s Journal book currently due to be released this November (which seems a bit more expansive than I originally thought)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everything I've heard with Naruto is that it's just kinda really bad with female characters despite (or even because of) making a token effort to not completely fall into old shonen cliches. It has supposedly badass girls who aren't ever allowed to actually do anything onscreen.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

JazzFlight posted:

I’ve heard that the main girl character in Boruto is also sidelined after awhile because they didn’t know what to do with her either.

Yeah but they sidelined drat-near everyone at that point, even Sasuke, probably for that same reason.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Electric Phantasm posted:

Youtube has been recommending Bluey clips and I'm really surprised by how good this show is.

I watched a bunch of episodes while I was babysitting my niece last month, and I'll second that it is a very funny and heartwarming show. I think what really sets it apart from other shows for young children is that while most TV shows for young kids are aimed just at young kids (With an occasional joke or reference thrown in for parents who might be in the same room), Bluey feels like it's truly intended to be watched by children and parents together, complete with lessons for both.

This episode is a really good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkCmJtK6X8

The lesson (We're all developing at our own pace, don't worry about how or how quickly you/your children are reaching certain benchmarks) is dead simple, but it's presented in a way that directly speaks to both children and parents. Throw in some good comedic timing (Bandit struggling never fails to elicit a chuckle) and some genuinely heartwarming moments, and you can easily see how universal the appeal is.

It's not a show that I watch much on my own, but I'm really glad that it exists so I can watch it with my niece, and (Should I have any) with my own children in the future. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than most of the other options.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its also a show that's not affraid to, out of its own initiative, have a character make the Family Guy Death Pose.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ConanThe3rd posted:

Its also a show that's not affraid to, out of its own initiative, have a character make the Family Guy Death Pose.

Amphibia did the same thing IIRC. I think that’s becoming an animators’ in joke.

Which is fun, because whatever else you think of Family Guy that pose is hilarious.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The Yamcha pose is also gaining some ground from my recollection

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm in the mid 130s now in Naruto and I love the world building, like the Magic ICU. It's neat seeing people hooked up not to machines but enormous webs of sealing and healing jutsus

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

The Yamcha pose is also gaining some ground from my recollection

Now we just need Dragon Ball to do the Family Guy death pose and Family Guy to do the Yamcha pose.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to watching Kipo, the show's really good so far and the main character is adorably dorky (that's Glimmer's actress from SPOP voicing her right?)

Also, should I decide to watch Miraculous Ladybug what's the "proper" way to view Season 4 (since I've heard the episodes were aired out of order for whatever reason)?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Finally got around to watching Kipo, the show's really good so far and the main character is adorably dorky (that's Glimmer's actress from SPOP voicing her right?)

Also, should I decide to watch Miraculous Ladybug what's the "proper" way to view Season 4 (since I've heard the episodes were aired out of order for whatever reason)?

Don't.

But okay okay I'm kidding. If this is the dark path you've chosen, just go to wikipedia and look up the production order.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 14, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Don't.

But okay okay I'm kidding. If this is the dark path you've chosen, just go to wikipedia and look up the production order.

I’m kind of leaning towards passing on it at the moment based on the feedback I’ve gotten but we’ll see.

Infinity Train seems decent so far as well, how soon until it goes downhill (and do we ever see the characters from Tulip’s hometown again or is the whole show minus maybe the fourth season set exclusively on the train itself)?

Also is every episode only a little over 11 minutes long?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 14, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Infinity Train seems decent so far as well, how soon until it goes downhill
if you like it, maybe never?? But for me, the opening scenes before she got on the train in the first episode were pretty strong but I started to get worn down by the train-car-of-the-week stuff. Also never really liked One-One and some of the other supporting characters.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Season 4 isn't as good as the others, but it's still worthwhile for the jokes alone and you can bang out the entire thing is under 90 minutes total. Just go for it. It's got Margot Martindale and J. K. Simmons!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Season 4 isn't as good as the others, but it's still worthwhile for the jokes alone and you can bang out the entire thing is under 90 minutes total. Just go for it. It's got Margot Martindale and J. K. Simmons!

Is every episode of the series only 11 minutes long give or take or do they ever do some longer ones?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Each season is ten 11-minute episodes, so basically treat each season like a movie to be watched in one sitting. New protagonist each season.

E: Seasons are 10 episodes, not 8

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 15, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Each season is eight 11-minute episodes, so basically treat each season like a 90-minute movie to be watched in one sitting. New protagonist each season.

So essentially each season is more or less its own self-contained story then? That makes sense honestly

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Larryb posted:

Yeah, she's played by Karen Fukuhara. She's also The Female/Kimiko on The Boys.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

PicklePants posted:

Apparently because of Netflix missing it's growth goals, it's axed a bunch of upcoming animation projects for kids. Including Bone and all the spin offs they were working on.

No clue what this means for Nimona.

https://twitter.com/DrewTailored/status/1516951941779050496

gently caress those growth goals and do Bone, damnit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, she's played by Karen Fukuhara. She's also The Female/Kimiko on The Boys.

Yeah, Fukuhara is great. It always amused me that she excels at voice acting and at playing a mute character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, Fukuhara is great. It always amused me that she excels at voice acting and at playing a mute character.

Does she have more than one voice out of curiosity (Kipo pretty much sounds like Glimmer to me)? Though if not she still does well with the limited range she has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

Does she have more than one voice out of curiosity (Kipo pretty much sounds like Glimmer to me)? Though if not she still does well with the limited range she has

She was in an Archer episode, where she sounded more charmimg and mature. But I'm nit good with voices and might not even have recognized her, if I hadn't read that she was involved. Other than that, I have no idea.