Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah, under $4m is fine for Goodrow, it's the six years that seems stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

$3.6mx6 is a terrible allocation of cap space in a league with a rapidly shrinking middle class. He is fine defensively but provides an offensive contribution slightly above replacement. There are about 40 guys on the free agent market every year who can provide pretty much the same contribution as Goodrow for like $1m, just without the playoff pedigree.

He's fine now, but I'm sure the Rangers will want that $2m of extra cap space back when they have to start handing out second deals to players like Lafreniere, Schneider and Miller.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

$3.6mx6 is a terrible allocation of cap space in a league with a rapidly shrinking middle class. He is fine defensively but provides an offensive contribution slightly above replacement. There are about 40 guys on the free agent market every year who can provide pretty much the same contribution as Goodrow for like $1m, just without the playoff pedigree.

He's fine now, but I'm sure the Rangers will want that $2m of extra cap space back when they have to start handing out second deals to players like Lafreniere, Schneider and Miller.

By the time those contracts roll around Goodrow will be gone. He doesn't have a full NMC, and the last year of his contract after the signing bonus his actual money vs cap hit is halved. So he will be shipped to Ottawa or something. I'm still not wild about the term but it's fine.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still can’t believe Washington didn’t do anything about their goaltending. Overpay for someone! I don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or prospects who aren’t going to contribute for a few years! They are going to suck as soon as next year so what’s the point in hoarding mediocre assets?

The series isn’t over but I have a sinking feeling that the skaters are going to play well again in Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a stinker like Vanecek did last night and then they just get deflated and give up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1522601518611972096

Anderson is not very good, but I guess he's a better option if Kase's brains are in fact too hot to play effectively. I imagine that putting Kerfoot on the third line is for general depth so long as they're rolling lines, and if things get tight late he'll replace Anderson on the second line.

e: I don't like Holl but Liljegren got absolutely cooked last game so I can understand the change.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can’t believe Washington didn’t do anything about their goaltending. Overpay for someone! I don’t give a poo poo about draft picks or prospects who aren’t going to contribute for a few years! They are going to suck as soon as next year so what’s the point in hoarding mediocre assets?

The series isn’t over but I have a sinking feeling that the skaters are going to play well again in Game 3 until Samsonov lets in a stinker like Vanecek did last night and then they just get deflated and give up.

I only caught part of the game between Pens/Rangers periods but the Caps looked like they were really frustrating the Cats' rush game. The Panthers seemed like they were allergic to the very idea of generating offense off the cycle instead of the rush. Obviously the floodgates opened at some point but it looks like the Caps have a good game plan at least.

They will probably get undone by goaltending much like the Penguins, though. I actually thought Domingue played well and wasn't the reason they lost last night. He did give up 5 but he kept them in it for a very long time. About all you can ask of a third string goalie.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

They couldn’t afford anybody cause they just did Ovi’s contract and they did Oshie and Backstrom the previous year. Between them, John Carlson, and Kuznetsov, there’s no money for a good veteran goalie unless one of those gets traded. When John was sucking it up earlier this year I’d advocated for him to get traded but he must know where Ted Leonsis buries his bodies.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Domingue was fine tonight despite giving up 5. Kept them in long enough to potentially win the game. They just couldn't score.

It's a real tall ask to keep running him out there against Shesterkin, though. That said their biggest issues so far have been depth scoring and dealing with the Rangers' powerplay.

He was fine. Not good. With Jarry or DeSmith I think that game might be going to overtime. Which I think Domingue being in goal hurts the PK a ton. Missing Dumo last night and having to run out Boyle vs the departed ZAR all contributing factors into the PK too. They need to get Boyle out of the lineup really really really badly. I don't think they will, but they really do. He's a disaster. Rakell being hot brained means we're back to the exact same mess of a 2nd line that didn't score at all 5v5 during the regular season as well.

It still irritates me that Sullivan had like 12 games to experiment with line combos and d pairings and even playing different players (Riikola or POJ) and instead just like bump Rust down move someone else up and that was it. Super annoying to me.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

By the time those contracts roll around Goodrow will be gone. He doesn't have a full NMC, and the last year of his contract after the signing bonus his actual money vs cap hit is halved. So he will be shipped to Ottawa or something. I'm still not wild about the term but it's fine.

Yes, exactly. His contract is very tradeable even after a couple of seasons. Players like Goodrow will always have value.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1522601518611972096

Anderson is not very good, but I guess he's a better option if Kase's brains are in fact too hot to play effectively. I imagine that putting Kerfoot on the third line is for general depth so long as they're rolling lines, and if things get tight late he'll replace Anderson on the second line.

e: I don't like Holl but Liljegren got absolutely cooked last game so I can understand the change.

I’d say there’s no chance they actually play Anderson there, he’s a placeholder and Kase will dress. Putting Kerfoot next to guys he hasn’t played a lot with and assembling a second line with a guy they have no experience with feels like more galaxy-brained Keefe nonsense, but it’s not like Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander was ever setting the world on fire so whatever.

Liljegren also got destroyed in the last regular season game against the Lightning. I know he and Gio have been fancy stats darlings but imo Liljegren’s still in the Travis Dermott zone where he gets a little too much credit for bumping the puck to forwards who then crush weak comp and lacks the upper percentile of skills/physical attributes that would make him a positive player in his own right. Once a forechecker’s on him or he has to defend a set offence it’s all over, and he’s not above average offensively. He missed a wide open PP chance in the first, and while Vasilevskiy made an incredible save on him in the second period there was a ton of net he wouldn’t have been able to reach and Timmy didn’t find it. If he can’t box out or break cycles and he can’t make/finish plays in the offensive zone then he’s just a guy.

Holl has his own problems but he immediately makes the PK better which I think is the real factor in putting him in. The question for a slow guy coming in cold is if he can avoid being the one taking obstruction penalties and nullifying his whole reason for being there.

I think Kerfoot down to the third might also be because Engvall’s a little banged up, he skipped practice between game 1/2 and he played a lot more on the perimeter last game.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fawning deference posted:

Yes, exactly. His contract is very tradeable even after a couple of seasons. Players like Goodrow will always have value.

I think that's kind of the trap of his contact. Sure if the team sucks and you want to blow it up you can easily move the contact to a contender. But, I think the Rangers fancy themselves as contenders. So A they want a player like Goodrow themselves and B the contact is a weight around their necks that will prevent them from getting better players.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The single most important player in the league to his team right now is Devon Toews, he is the only line of defense against JMFJ playing 26 minutes a night and dragging Makar into the abyss.

e: I have been informed JMFJ is not in fact playing so congrats on your Cup Avs fans

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 6, 2022

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/JRown32/status/1522626088769404928

In Spicy Pork and Broccoli we trust

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Well poo poo. Hard to see the Pens winning this series given that news but stranger things have happened in playoff hockey I suppose

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

Sutter v. Bowness hockey is the worst thing I've ever seen.

boring as a morning poo poo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, turns out that it was the Penguins who should have traded for MAF after all

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Ah, turns out that it was the Penguins who should have traded for MAF after all

They probably would have had they any cap space at all. They had to move out a few guys they didn't want to lose just to grab Rakell.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mind_Taker posted:

With who, though? That's the problem with goalies, there's only like 12 good ones now and they're all locked up.

Despite the Oilers saying they're fine with it, I'm sure they're not thrilled with going into the playoffs dealing with the Mike Smith Experience and Mikko "First Shot Goes In" Koskinen.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

fawning deference posted:

But what if teams stopped employing GMs that live and breath "you can't teach size!"

Lol, yeah, he'll be fine.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

They probably would have had they any cap space at all. They had to move out a few guys they didn't want to lose just to grab Rakell.

Oh I was being facetious, just thought it would be funny to bring up as it was such a contentious topic before the playoffs started. Next time I’ll add this guy :v:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Despite the Oilers saying they're fine with it, I'm sure they're not thrilled with going into the playoffs dealing with the Mike Smith Experience and Mikko "First Shot Goes In" Koskinen.

We aren't plus with Bakersfield in the playoffs we can't call-up Skinner as even a third-string (it would be a dick thing to do to Bako to call him up).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh I was being facetious, just thought it would be funny to bring up as it was such a contentious topic before the playoffs started. Next time I’ll add this guy :v:

I know. I'm sure if they added Maf anyways he would have gotten hurt because the Pens always get the worst injury luck. Somehow they've won 3 cups recently despite that though so don't throw me a pity party or anything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope Jarry's bionic foot gets into working order here soon

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

That was one hell of a poo poo he took, my word.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

WeaponX posted:

I've heard of playoff collapses before but maybe playoff prolapses are the new hotness?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WeaponX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7b28jy-6bU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hope Jarry's bionic foot gets into working order here soon

Kevlar skate boot and pain killing shots lets go :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Apparently Goodrow broke his ankle and played 4 periods on it :stare:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That's horrifying, god drat.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

hockey players are fuckin idiots

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

This is how you end up without feet like Weber I imagine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

hockey players are fuckin idiots

He quite possibly didn’t even know it was broken until he took his skate off after the game.

But also yes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And I thought my shits were explosive

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And I thought my shits were explosive
https://twitter.com/wxcaudle/status/1522195534471221250

This kid behind the bench at the Avs game last night was great.
https://twitter.com/CaneJurtin/status/1522442591274344448
Absolutely incredible performance by Ingram, a 0.961 save % on 51 shots. Kuemper was no slouch either, 0.962 save%, but only had to face 26 shots. If I were the Preds, I'd consider shooting the puck.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Luongo would have passed that poo poo like a champ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/flapanthers/status/1522720365654384640

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
A bunch of people from Florida already tried this last year

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

They already Red X'd their own avatar, they have no hope.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

A little peek at the standings as we start Day 5 of the 2022 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rangers comfortably in an advancement spot, Pittsburgh in tough, and a huge logjam in the middle.

Hey, once owners realize they could guarantee 7 or even 8 games a round, it could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dirty Burger posted:

A bunch of people from Florida already tried this last year

drat Bolts fans always making us look bad

kalensc posted:

They already Red X'd their own avatar, they have no hope.

Arrrrrgh! Quickly need to change it to the vibin’ panthers before anyone notices.