Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RacistsSuck posted:

I really liked SNW but why the gently caress can’t they just make a new Trek that takes place 20 years or whatever after voyager. Why is that so loving hard?

Lower Decks and Prodigy have figured out how to be good Post-Nemesis Trek. You simply need to be an animated TV show it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

when is the new lower decks season coming out? I thought it was june but then I realised that's the orville

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Lower Decks and Prodigy have figured out how to be good Post-Nemesis Trek. You simply need to be an animated TV show it seems.

These two shows actually seem to want to do something with their setting, while sticking to core strengths of the series. There's been a lot of posts, but someone yesterday posted that the newer series don't have a clear reason for existing, and I think that's true to an extent. But the biggest difference between Prodigy and LD and Discovery/Picard is the cartoons can basically be summed up in one or two line summaries. They have easy to understand loglines.

In contrast, Discovery and Picard just kind of exist. Sometimes they make good episodes, sometimes they make bad episodes, but I can't really say after six combined seasons what the plot is of either.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's my real name, Bdolf Hitler. I don't know why you're asking all these questions.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nichael posted:

These two shows actually seem to want to do something with their setting, while sticking to core strengths of the series. There's been a lot of posts, but someone yesterday posted that the newer series don't have a clear reason for existing, and I think that's true to an extent. But the biggest difference between Prodigy and LD and Discovery/Picard is the cartoons can basically be summed up in one or two line summaries. They have easy to understand loglines.

In contrast, Discovery and Picard just kind of exist. Sometimes they make good episodes, sometimes they make bad episodes, but I can't really say after six combined seasons what the plot is of either.

The best crystallization of this was the Picard finale that opened with a "Previously On..." segment that lasted well over two minutes, futilely trying to tie together a hilariously disconnected set of dozens of plot threads. Such a fantastic mess. :allears:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's my real name, Bdolf Hitler. I don't know why you're asking all these questions.

just want to say this was a really good joke

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Grand Fromage posted:

I take back some of my criticism of the concept of Tim Hitler, helmsman given that a big chunk of time has passed and, bad as the Eugenics wars undoubtedly were, time does heal all wounds. I once ended up working in Atlanta with this dude named Sherman and while he occasionally got some poo poo for that mostly noone gave a gently caress. Further, if I met a Suzy Temüjin that would loving own.

The only thing that still bugs me about it is the hyphen.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

XboxPants posted:

The best crystallization of this was the Picard finale that opened with a "Previously On..." segment that lasted well over two minutes, futilely trying to tie together a hilariously disconnected set of dozens of plot threads. Such a fantastic mess. :allears:

The best thing about the finale recap was the vast amount of things mid-season that got no mention at all, confirming before the episode started they were irrelevant wheel spinning.

Q's lesson requiring a long chain of events isn't so bad because he is almost omnipotent. What is bad is that the ending of the lesson doesn't actually make sense. Picard doesn't place the key because he's absolved himself, he does it because he knows he can't change the past. Apart from when he does.

Ten episodes to take the plot of Tapestry and turn it into gibberish, what a ride.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1522696334356193281?s=20&t=da80JNoiX2Dtl2RaqdJEDQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Plenty of time left in Picard season 3 for Jean-Luc to lure one of the antagonists to the holodeck and murder them with a Thompson submachine gun made out of hard light.

Again.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Picard and Q's goodbye was perfect. That's what's so frustrating about the show, it can be good when it tries! Just ignore that everything Q did made no loving sense.

Who is the worst character in Picard and why is it Raffi?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Picard and Q's goodbye was perfect. That's what's so frustrating about the show, it can be good when it tries! Just ignore that everything Q did made no loving sense.

This is why I watch collegiate shows. Always trying. Hustle on the court. Coaches sons.

But this show with its tattoos and baggy shorts? I hope it don’t get drafted. I’ll hang up and listen for my answer

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alan_Shore posted:

It's Raffi because she is either a bad actress, is being directed improperly, is given the worst lines, or some combination of all of these.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Picard and Q's goodbye was perfect.

No it wasn't. The perfect goodbye was the ending of All Good Things.

e: to expand, the final conversation in All Good Things where Picard thanks Q for his help and Q admitting he didn't really want to put humanity in peril is the perfect way to end their on-screen relationship. They aren't friends, but they acknowledge that their adversarial relationship is in part theatre.

I would agree that it's okay because the scene is really Stewart and DeLancie doing their last scene together and saying goodbye.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 7, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Having watched Severance end with what I consider way too much mystery left to discover and talking to people in the Severance thread about, in general, how I feel about mysterious things in television, I wondered to myself on my own time "why is it that I don't like TV shows that keep secrets that are never told?"

I'm now realizing that not knowing anything about Q past All Good Things (I still need to watch his Voyager episodes and his DS9 episode happened before TNG ended, I think...) was a decent thing that should've stayed a secret. I didn't need to see him interact with Picard again, I didn't need to know about his death, but I would always be glad to see more John de Lancie as Q, even if it meant listening to him read his audio book. I believe Picard, the tv show, has literally tried to ruin Q.

I say "tried" because I am firmly in the mindset that Picard, as a show, doesn't matter. Neither to canon, television entertainment, nor my sensibilities. It hasn't been/isn't being written by the original writers of TNG and was/is actively being hosed with by lovely producers.

That said I was still tickled by Picard grinning at Q and hugging him. Couldn't help it.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Gonz posted:

I'd like to think a weakened Q was just shambling around LA in 2024 doing stuff like going to Pink's Hot Dogs, or seeing a horror retrospective at Cinerama, or getting shitfaced and going to the Griffith Observatory.

A whole episode dedicated to that would've redeemed the entire season.

What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LinkesAuge posted:

The way the Borg plot is resolved also shows a classical timeloop paradox.

Jurati Borg exists outside of time and space. Think about the origin of her.

Jurati Borg exists "before" Picard travels back in time and things are "changed" because in his original timeline Picard blows up the ship and that means Jurati didn't travel back in time to become Jurati Borg. So where does Jurati Borg come from in that "original" timeline?
The problem here is that it can't be a self-contained loop because Q is interfering from the outside and there IS a change, ie the decission not to blow up the ship (and everyone dying) so we know this is NOT a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of deal.

It is also weird from the point of view from Jurati Borg.

What she knows is that they travelled back in time because her future Borg version was so inept at properly communicating that Picard chose to blow up the ship. Why doesn't she act differently in the alternate version? Is she intentionally behaving in the same way to preserve the timeline despite the fact that she knows it leads to everyone being blown up? Is she betting that in this timeline it's going to be Picard who will do the necessary change?
How does she even know that she is part of the "new" timeline? She could just as easily be part of the version that leads to everyone being blown up. I guess somewhere there is a universe in which this is an infinite loop of Picard blowing everyone up.

And all of this could have been prevented if Jurati Borg didn't decide to wear a fancy helmet for no reason and also forgot how to communicate simple concepts properly instead of throwing your tentacles around (I hate stuff like that which makes zero sense within the actual world and is just there to create drama/a problem/mystery for the audience).

PS: And yes I know that Jurati behaving differently and thus Picard not blowing up the ship would lead to yet another paradox because it also means no need for time travel and thus no Jurati Borg (and the same problem applies to Picard because he now has memories he didn't have before which really shouldn't be the case in an actual consistent timeloop because he should always have had these memories at that time on the ship but that means he never decided to blow up the ship so where does the "original" timeline come from, ie the one without that experience? Jurati Borg existing and Picard not knowing about her are at direct odds with each other).

Blowing up the ship didn't change the timeline, taking the Borg Queen to the past did. So we can assume that no matter what Picard did in the Stargazer, Q took him and his friends to the Confederation timeline to teach his lesson, and Picard always traveled back in time from there to fix the timeline.

Question: Why was Q trying to get Renee to quit the mission?
Answer: As her psychologist he was ethically bound to give her this advice. She had depression and could be a danger to herself or others. She needed time to herself.

Question: Why did Q hire Soong to stop Picard from comforting Renee?
Answer: Again, as her clinical psychologist, he wanted to make sure his patient was not pressured into doing something she didn't want to do. He is a good and caring doctor.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I take back some of my criticism of the concept of Tim Hitler, helmsman given that a big chunk of time has passed and, bad as the Eugenics wars undoubtedly were, time does heal all wounds. I once ended up working in Atlanta with this dude named Sherman and while he occasionally got some poo poo for that mostly noone gave a gently caress. Further, if I met a Suzy Temüjin that would loving own.

Head of Norwegian Cruise Lines Hawaii operations used to be a guy named Alan Yamamoto. He’d get quoted occasionally in news stories about his ships being repaired in the Pearl Harbor naval dockyards.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought the Picard Season 2 was actually good all things considered. I am just frustrated that Rios finally found his swing as a character and would of made a great post Picard Captain for Starfleet but because the writers are hacks left him in the past.

other than that:

1. The Q/Picard sit down was good. I wasn't sold on the whole you were my friend until Q said, even the gods have favorites. Also John De Lancie is an incredible actor, such great presence. Even standing up he had this menacing thing about him.
2. Spiner plays billionaire tech rear end in a top hat so perfectly.
3. I actually like Wesley Crusher showing up out of nowhere and Wil Wheaton did a fairly good job finding that sweet spot of delivering corny lines earnestly.

Strange New Worlds is good and promising too!

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 7, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gonz posted:

Plenty of time left in Picard season 3 for Jean-Luc to lure one of the antagonists to the holodeck and murder them with a Thompson submachine gun made out of hard light.

Again.

Barclay's son (somehow he gets lucky) is cleaning up some of his dad's things and finds this weird holo data cube. He plugs it into his home holo-deck to find an old Victorian couple emerge, angry, and demanding revenge against Picard for being duped again.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am just frustrated that Rios finally found his swing as a character and would of made a great post Picard Captain for Starfleet but because the writers are hacks left him in the past.

My favorite moment of the whole season was Guinan saying "and then he got beaten to death in a bar"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Actual Satan posted:

My favorite moment of the whole season was Guinan saying "and then he got beaten to death in a bar"

If only Picard didn't have an entirely different artificial heart, he could've remembered to tell Rios about the dangerous of playing Dom-jot.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Minidust posted:

Okay so Q wanted to teach Picard to forgive himself about his mother. So he gave Picard a tour of an alternate present, "the end of the road not taken"... in hopes that Picard would steal the Borg Queen, the Borg Queen would correctly identify the point of timeline divergence, and the crew would successfully time travel by their own means to correct that divergence. All so Picard could voluntarily leave the key in the wall, in the past. That is a hell of a lot of variables to hinge a plan on (one might call it a "very poorly-written" plan) but okay! And I still can't figure out the point of anything Q was doing in 2024.

The final reveal of Q's plan is such a cop out that I am 100% convinced they came up with it at the last minute.

Everything Q says and does in episode 2 makes no sense. "this isn't a test, it's a penance!" I was sure that it would be something to do with Picard breaking time because of his fear of the Borg, and the lesson would be having to embrace even your mortal enemies for the sake of peace, or something like that (you know, like an actual star trek concept.) But nope, it was because Q just likes Picard so much. And there is no lesson: "everyone stand down, this Borg is a friend that I know, so we're cool!"

Remember when Q slapped Picard in the face? What a touching relationship!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Actual Satan posted:

And Picard smiled and nodded at that!
Like what the gently caress. Did the peeps get the medication that he died for?
"*Chuckle* That's our Rios!"

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Actual Satan posted:

She also said "his last breath was into a cigar" which suggests at least one them doesn't know how cigars work.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
At that point he was going to be dead hundreds of years before the characters were born anyway, the how was just a bit of trivia. And given what happens to earth in that time frame, it was maybe one of the better, though not best, alternatives. But I’m really unclear on when WW3 happens in relation to the epilogues of the characters left in the past.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They should add Master Chief to S3

I'm tired and misread this as Master 'Chef' and thought, yes, Neelix should be in S3.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Next season I want to ask everyone to formally post all their predictions of the mysteries and plot threads and how they'll wrap up in S3. Maybe everyone need to lock those in before the start of Episode for or so.

I think that would be a fun little game (Q smirk)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One dream scenario, and one nightmare scenario. See which it comes closest to. As if we don't know already...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Next season I want to ask everyone to formally post all their predictions of the mysteries and plot threads and how they'll wrap up in S3. Maybe everyone need to lock those in before the start of Episode for or so.

Even better - post your best guesses for the episode 5 and 6 meaningless plots that go nowhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Episode 7: There are 24 hours left to save the galaxy. But first, Picard has to teach Riker how to finally make a pizza without burning it!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Picard is accepted into the Q Continuum.

The Borg completely de-borgify, completing their transformation from scary "ultimate users" into just another part of the Federation.

A pity Rene Auberjonois is dead. They could have shoehorned him in along with some sort of Dominion plot line. Maybe they still will.

Oh and Sisko returns!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alchenar posted:

Episode 7: There are 24 hours left to save the galaxy. But first, Picard has to teach Riker how to finally make a pizza without burning it!

Picard: For best results, I usually use semolina.
Riker: Brilliant, I've been using mornmeal this whole time.
Picard: You mean cornmeal?
Riker: No. Morn meal.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if they bring in Jeffrey Combs that would be cool, though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Even better - post your best guesses for the episode 5 and 6 meaningless plots that go nowhere.

Yeah I think part of the fun of do the questionnaire around episode 3 is you'd have enough plot threads to start to wonder "ok which if these will be seen through to the end" and "what's going to start next episode that maybe suddenly now becomes a main plot of the season"?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Now that we're in an exciting new 'mature' era of Trek, I predict they won't waste the opportunity for the old TNG cast to get a bunch of swears in. Looking forward to Worf saying 'Die motherfucker!' to every mook he slaughters, Geordi complaining about how he can't see 'poo poo' after his ocular implants get ripped out in whatever nightmare scenario these sadist writers have in store for him, and Marina Sirtis finally just dropping the Troi act completely and going full ... Marina Sirtis.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

SNW good. Very good.

I’m sorry.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Drunk in Space posted:

Marina Sirtis finally just dropping the Troi act completely and going full ... Marina Sirtis.

i think that had already happened by first contact

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

Geordi complaining about how he can't see 'poo poo' after his ocular implants get ripped out in whatever nightmare scenario these sadist writers have in store for him

I predict Barclay will be the main season villain after being ostracized for his whole life. He'll kill Geordie, and someone will be like, "I can't believe we ever trusted you, we should have killed you when we had the chance, BROCCOLI!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if O'brien DOESN'T get severely injured (preferably in the shoulder) or else end up being tortured in some horrific manner then the writers are hopeless cretins, imo