Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1522742467497500673?s=20&t=mOkkyz1c2fQH9PwtLfQRag.

https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/1522746919843422208?s=20&t=mOkkyz1c2fQH9PwtLfQRag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm happy with the win. I said it on the discord but like if the Leafs swept tampa they'd have a bunch of unearned confidence. This year they're actually really figuring out what it takes and putting it together, and that's what they needed to do. This is the kind of series they need.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tonight’s game was much closer to what I expected of the series, close game with the Leafs having a territorial edge early, Tampa being efficient on the PP, and me clenching my butthole the entire third period. Jack Campbell was huge.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens haven't even sold out for tomorrow yet. Kinda surprised at that given there's probably a lot of Rangers fans that I would think would snatch up those tickets if Pens fans didn't. If I didn't live 9 hours away and covid wasn't a thing I'd probably go.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I feel like there's some room for additional optimism out of that win in that the Leafs weren't very crisp but they also carried the game quite well. I think I saw that the Matthews line had an awful night at evens, whereas the rest of them were quite good.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens haven't even sold out for tomorrow yet. Kinda surprised at that given there's probably a lot of Rangers fans that I would think would snatch up those tickets if Pens fans didn't. If I didn't live 9 hours away and covid wasn't a thing I'd probably go.

Sure to be a fun atmosphere... Low expectations in the Burgh !

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the top line basically did nothing 5v5 outside of one play, Tavares is still completely MIA, and Muzzin handled the puck like a grenade but the Leafs still managing a small possession advantage and the win is a big deal, it’s important that they don’t have to play perfectly to beat Tampa. Until they decided to just not play offence in the third it felt like they had it under control despite a bunch of sloppiness.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/LeafsJelly/status/1522769958069059584?t=RES1dGvYwqB_WhEPnL96aQ&s=19

Bowen saying what we were all thinking

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao the kings are awful

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao the kings are awful

well I'm glad I predicted this much in the red x thread... series isn't over yet though, Edmonton is also very capable of being awful themselves.. not as frequently since that new coach came in though.

I really want Dallas to play Edmonton in the 2nd round.. Let me have this one god, it's been a rough two years :(

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I also want Dallas to play Edmonton cause gently caress da flames

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 7, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I am cheering for Dallas/Edmonton with all my heart as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's weird, I have no strong feelings about any team in the Western Conference this season.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsnryanrishaug/status/1522642971212009472?s=21&t=vEp7ig4yhKMkmPFW0EVpmg

this didn’t end up working fyi

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Ginette Reno posted:

Seeing this post at 6am this morning when I woke up in Washington, DC was the catalyst for me calling an audible, spending too much money on tickets (less than $500 bucks for two seats in the lower bowl, though!), and planning a last minute road trip to the game tonight. Thanks, pal!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Conn Smith

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm less concerned with the blues losing and more concerned that every game in the series so far has really sucked

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Jarry on the ice today.

Doubt he will play in the next 2 but it is at least encouraging.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

i'm less concerned with the blues losing and more concerned that every game in the series so far has really sucked

I don't know, the last two have been pretty good. Lots of scoring and action. The Blues defense is just being exposed and Minnesota's PK has gotten a little better.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Krime posted:

Jarry on the ice today.

Doubt he will play in the next 2 but it is at least encouraging.

If he looks remotely ok I bet Sullivan gambles on him if the Pens are down 2 games to 1.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

drat, outside of the Flames/Stars series and a couple other games this first round is a real shooting gallery. In the predictions thread I thought people were having a laugh with saying so many goals will be scored but no, already over 50 goals and we're only half-way through round 1

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

drat, outside of the Flames/Stars series and a couple other games this first round is a real shooting gallery. In the predictions thread I thought people were having a laugh with saying so many goals will be scored but no, already over 50 goals and we're only half-way through round 1

I figured around 7 goals per game, but then subtracted 20 for Calgary and Dallas! It's been closer than I expected and makes it a lot of fun to watch games that I don't have a horse in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aces High posted:

115 is over 50, so you're technically correct.

I think my 294 in the first round may be quite high, but i wasn't expecting so many shutouts/blowouts.

There have only been 3/20 games where the losing team has scored more than 3 points. there were 6 games last year where the losing team had 4. Tampa lost a game last year 6-5.

There were 258 scored in the first round last year, but there were also 2 first round sweeps, where this year there's only 1 possible remaining.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 7, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Seeing this post at 6am this morning when I woke up in Washington, DC was the catalyst for me calling an audible, spending too much money on tickets (less than $500 bucks for two seats in the lower bowl, though!), and planning a last minute road trip to the game tonight. Thanks, pal!!

Nice. Have fun man. I don't live nearby or I'd go to more. The last Pens game I went to live was game 5 vs the Preds which did rule because the Pens won that like 6-0 or whatever and it was probably the most fun game I've ever been to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I can't help but notice that the aftermath of almost every goal the Blues allow involves Justin Faulk standing 10 feet from the net rolling his eyes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1523018245946548230?s=20&t=Uj42B6Trw3XsUqhF-WYT9g

:shepface:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is how not to play against the Caps while they’re on the power play.

https://twitter.com/Steve_Dangle/status/1523023688697753601?s=20&t=S6fl1s2BwHhvcbVSfPXu2A

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1523013436480704512

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Part of Ovi's brilliance is that he is not at all a selfish player, he will happily pass off to an open teammate or just be a decoy if it helps the Caps score.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean, Caps can still blow this series but lol at all the Panthers in five experts. Love you Torts!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/kevin_mcgran/status/1523031366568456192?s=20&t=VS7YTpEB1sdu-cRJFHf2vA

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1522992265857228803?s=20&t=VS7YTpEB1sdu-cRJFHf2vA

John Cooper sure loves talking poo poo for a guy coaching the only team in the East to get shut out so far. Tampa’s been out scored 13-7 and only has 3 goals at even strength this series but I’m sure Keefe is happy to have even more material to post up on the board.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

One of the most shocking developments I have ever seen in my life is that the refs are actually calling hooking and holding and stuff. In the playoffs!!!

I usually roll my eyes at talking heads banging on about Desire and the Will To Win because almost all players that reach the NHL playoff level have that, but I believe it is certainly true that it's really hard to keep that level of mental intensity up to chase the Cup when you've won it the last two years already. Tampa has been downright lazy at times and the Leafs have burned them for it. I assume those quotes from Cooper are more because he's annoyed at his team's inconsistent defensive effort (goal scoring is not the problem for them, is what he's saying) than playing psychological games with the Leafs.

But also the Leafs and Oilers look so much better than they have in previous postseasons in very large part because the refs are, for the first time since time immemorial, actually calling obstruction penalties. In the playoffs!!!!!!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/kevin_mcgran/status/1523031366568456192?s=20&t=VS7YTpEB1sdu-cRJFHf2vA

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1522992265857228803?s=20&t=VS7YTpEB1sdu-cRJFHf2vA

John Cooper sure loves talking poo poo for a guy coaching the only team in the East to get shut out so far. Tampa’s been out scored 13-7 and only has 3 goals at even strength this series but I’m sure Keefe is happy to have even more material to post up on the board.

also I'm not mad, nobody write that I'm mad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

One of the most shocking developments I have ever seen in my life is that the refs are actually calling hooking and holding and stuff. In the playoffs!!!

They do this every year for the first few games of the first round but the moment they get to elimination games the whistles travel to the shadow realm and are never heard from again

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Scores have been pretty lopsided in games this season too, refs tend to swallow their whistles when scores are close late in games and there haven’t been a lot of those situations

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They do this every year for the first few games of the first round but the moment they get to elimination games the whistles travel to the shadow realm and are never heard from again

I don't remember it being this consistent even in the first three games before (like last year the Oilers got swept in large part because you could mug McDavid and Draisaitl at gunpoint and it would be deemed a Good Hockey Play whereas that is definitely not true this year) but yeah you're almost certainly right about what's coming.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So is Florida deciding there needs to be another high powered offense that routinely shits the bed in the first round or what

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Panthers have been Maple Leafs South for years, beats hell out of me why people are shocked they're puking all over themselves in the playoffs yet again

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Panthers have been Maple Leafs South for years, beats hell out of me why people are shocked they're puking all over themselves in the playoffs yet again

But they traded for Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

They brought back the pun headlines!