Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It should be Wisconsin so we get future hopefuls eating cannibal burgers instead of pork chops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

only that New Jersey is the early primary state we deserve

I need to watch presidental candidates come here and eat bagels and pizza.

Edit: maybe a weekend on our roads will show them how important public transit is.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 8, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Meatball posted:

I need to watch presidental candidates come here and eat bagels and pizza.

Edit: maybe a weekend on our roads will show them how important public transit is.

Politicians doing bus tours down the turnpike

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I firmly believe the first Democratic presidential primaries should take place in Puerto Rico.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Koos Group posted:

As the link says, Mr. Cat, there's no association between which cities cut or changed police funding or had more of a movement to do so and how much crime rose, and the link acknowledges the crime did indeed rise. Historically, the connection also doesn't appear to exist between decreased arrest rates and homicides, according to a paper mentioned in the same link. Other factors, such as unemployment and higher number of firearm purchases, are associated with higher homicide rates and increased due to covid in the same time period.

It may be true that defunding the police in the sense of completely eliminating their budgets would lead to an increase in overall crime. We don't know with absolute certainty since we've never done this, but it is suggested by the same paper I just linked, as evidence shows proactive policing measures such as targeted patrols do reduce crime, and it's not absurd to assume if the police had no budget they would no longer engage in these. However, my claim was specifically that the rhetoric did not cause an increase in crime, which was stated by both myself and Gumball Gumption, and the data I linked strongly supports that contention.

Not to get into a whole thing about it but could any of this possibly in any way be tied to the proliferation of firearms in this loving country? Where the number of guns outnumbers people? Just spit balling here so go easy on me.

The whole thing is weird though because for a good long minute now I've read that the decrease in murder rates and violent crime were directly tied to phasing out leaded gasoline. And maybe so. I don't pretend to loving know but now we got a whole new problem on top of 99 other ones that Joe Biden sure as poo poo isn't prepared to solve but the one thing - the poo poo we have in abundance - and of all the things we lack, the United States does not have a shortage of motherfucking firearms.

Here me out for a moment. There might -just maybe might - be a correlation there

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BiggerBoat posted:

Not to get into a whole thing about it but could any of this possibly in any way be tied to the proliferation of firearms in this loving country? Where the number of guns outnumbers people? Just spit balling here so go easy on me.

The whole thing is weird though because for a good long minute now I've read that the decrease in murder rates and violent crime were directly tied to phasing out leaded gasoline. And maybe so. I don't pretend to loving know but now we got a whole new problem on top of 99 other ones that Joe Biden sure as poo poo isn't prepared to solve but the one thing - the poo poo we have in abundance - and of all the things we lack, the United States does not have a shortage of motherfucking firearms.

Here me out for a moment. There might -just maybe might - be a correlation there

Firearms usually also contain led or make people come in contact with led.

:thunkher:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The role of "substance contaminating everything we come into contact with but nobody can talk about it because it's too fundamental to the economy" has shifted to microplastics from lead, however it remains to be seen if they make people the violent kind of insane instead of just causing huge spikes in types of cancer in populations you wouldn't expect it in

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BiggerBoat posted:

In 49 states the law says if you own a gun you gotta chew on the bullets like a old west gunslinger when handling them, so that makes sense. You don't want to know what they require in Texas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Having "Dems Abroad" be the first primary would be pretty hilarious. Good on whoever is in charge of that for submitting the request.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Epic High Five posted:

It should be Wisconsin so we get future hopefuls eating cannibal burgers instead of pork chops

No, send them to the Colorado mountains and make them climb and smoke blunts and see who makes it to the top of the 14'er without passing out from altitude sickness or being too high.

Our president should be able to handle both altitude and good weed at the same time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

There definitely is. The U.S. actually has less violent crime than some European countries, but our violent crimes and robberies are many times more likely to be fatal because over 80% of them involve guns in the U.S. and almost none do in most other countries.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No, send them to the Colorado mountains and make them climb and smoke blunts and see who makes it to the top of the 14'er without passing out from altitude sickness or being too high.

Our president should be able to handle both altitude and good weed at the same time.

We need to reform the Presidential Primary process to start selecting for Presidents that are first and foremost hale and vigorous of constitution

As a counter-point though, I propose that since pretty much any candidate will have smoked weed beforehand and still ended up where they have, they should have to do shrooms and submit to ego death instead

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Having "Dems Abroad" be the first primary would be pretty hilarious. Good on whoever is in charge of that for submitting the request.

Didn't see that but I agree lmfao

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Uh oh! If D&D mods are banning people in CSPAM that is a pretty serious problem, yes. I'll alert Koos. Thanks!

I was drunk when I posted and was confused and wrong. It was a c spam mod the whole time. Sorry about that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Well this is a thread

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1523108447088128001

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

We need to reform the Presidential Primary process to start selecting for Presidents that are first and foremost hale and vigorous of constitution

As a counter-point though, I propose that since pretty much any candidate will have smoked weed beforehand and still ended up where they have, they should have to do shrooms and submit to ego death instead

Didn't see that but I agree lmfao

Gary Johnson would have been a shoe in since he' did the seven summits prior to 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Epic High Five posted:

Wisconsin is a poo poo state with literally the most segregated city in America.

I say this as someone who was raised in the state.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Steve Schmidt is a gigantic piece of poo poo, but I don't doubt for a second that the GOP is just crawling with Russian agents and assets.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Yeah, he's been on a tear tonight, just lighting up both McCains up. You kinda love to see it.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

Politicians doing bus tours down the turnpike

"Hey everyone, we're here at the cheesequake service area, going to check out the Roy Rogers chicken. I hear they've got great biscuits!"

Meatball fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 8, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/LiteraryMouse/status/1523095557035675648?s=20&t=FBSQzfojOsPqwEaoeqW4DQ

https://twitter.com/LiteraryMouse/status/1523109800175087616?s=20&t=zghaXf_QB0Cj6p0PlAsTBQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is Iowa still first despite absolutely loving up at every conceivable level last time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gripweed posted:

Is Iowa still first despite absolutely loving up at every conceivable level last time?

No. This is just Iowa requesting to be first, a request that will almost certainly be denied- they're going to pick a small number of states from this list. Not only was last time a clusterfuck, it was a caucus rather than a primary, which the new state-choosing process disfavors. The new process also scores states on their levels of diversity and purpleness, which Iowa does poorly on.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like Texas, Georgia, Michigan, and New Jersey would actually make sense to me in giving a pretty decent cross section both regionally and demographically.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Texas, Georgia, Michigan, and New Jersey would actually make sense to me in giving a pretty decent cross section both regionally and demographically.

Three of those are going to be pretty expensive to advertise in (Texas, GA, NJ) and will likely suppress any insurgency campaign due to it. Michigan might work but that state is losing its goddamn mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Anyone besides me think it's possible that Biden will face some strong primary opposition? He's not even popular among democrats and has been an across the board disaster. Although, offhand, I can't think of anybody that could seriously pull it off. I doubt Bernie will try again. Or Hillary. We really don't have much in the way of a strong bench, do we?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I don’t mean to diminish what these protestors are doing but, as the saying goes, you don’t get civil rights in the 60s without MLK JR and Malcom X.

You can clearly see in both videos the threat of state sanctioned violence, rendering the protests as pretty meaningless on their own.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone besides me think it's possible that Biden will face some strong primary opposition? He's not even popular among democrats and has been an across the board disaster. Although, offhand, I can't think of anybody that could seriously pull it off. I doubt Bernie will try again. Or Hillary. We really don't have much in the way of a strong bench, do we?

Winning the nomination against an incumbent from your own party who's in trouble is a "poisoned chalice", even if you won the nomination you're not going to win the general election.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm standing by my prediction that Biden won't run for reelection, but the bench is filled with dead-eyed technocrats like Buttigieg & Harris.

Maybe someone who can straddle party sides, like Warren or Polis, could win the nomination, but I think we're looking at the downside of the panicked Anybody-But-Bernie primaries of 2020 & the decision to force in Biden.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm standing by my prediction that Biden won't run for reelection, but the bench is filled with dead-eyed technocrats like Buttigieg & Harris.

Maybe someone who can straddle party sides, like Warren or Polis, could win the nomination, but I think we're looking at the downside of the panicked Anybody-But-Bernie primaries of 2020 & the decision to force in Biden.

If Biden announced he wasn't running, Polis would absolutely jump in and he's probably the best offering the Dems have at the moment that could spin up a national campaign.

Edit: second thought, polis would only be halfway through his second term. It may not be good timing.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 8, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Oracle posted:

Three of those are going to be pretty expensive to advertise in

I hate that this is a concern but :911:

God forbid the states with the most people be relevant to the presidential contest

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don’t mean to diminish what these protestors are doing but, as the saying goes, you don’t get civil rights in the 60s without MLK JR and Malcom X.

You can clearly see in both videos the threat of state sanctioned violence, rendering the protests as pretty meaningless on their own.

But... but... civility! :monocle:

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1523288322671788033?s=20&t=zfHFSmym-dBajabp6AeZkg

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Now as ever, when you find yourself uncertain of how to proceed, consult Sage Krisol and then do the opposite

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Yeah but these rulings can land people in jail for life for murder

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Isn't this the gentleman who was convinced Bernie Sanders winning an election would result in him being hanged in Central Park?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't this the gentleman who was convinced Bernie Sanders winning an election would result in him being hanged in Central Park?

That was Chris Matthews, I believe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

Warren destroyed all her credibility, dunno about Polis.

I think one thing we can be sure if is that it's going to be a dumpster fire.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 8, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BiggerBoat posted:

I feel Biden's been fairly good internationally, and I appreciate him eating the bullet and finally pulling us out of the Forever War. However this is overshadowed by how he's somehow been the largest unmitigated disaster domestically, in a party of unmitigated disasters. Just the pure walking Silent/Boomer brain id about how the kids should shut up and get back to work without any mind-mouth barrier. Supposedly he's for unionization and worker's rights but he's never actually done anything to back that up. In fact he's really done gently caress-all on anything on a national scale besides make some noise and then let the Senate trample over everything.

So better than I hoped internationally, somehow even worse than I feared nationally.

Oh and his VP doesn't exist.

Epic High Five posted:

Now as ever, when you find yourself uncertain of how to proceed, consult Sage Krisol and then do the opposite

Words to live by.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Josef bugman posted:

No, but he was the gentleman who spent forty years as a Republican being a ghoulish monster about basically everything; he constantly opposed healthcare reform, was one of the biggest cheerleaders for the Iraq War, and was repeatedly blood-garglingly thirsty for anything that would cause direct war with Iran. Him being more concerned about decorum from protestors than the injustice they're protesting about is completely on brand.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

This tweet is just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

"Protesting is meaningless so long as cops still draw breath."