Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SNIPE

E: FREE RIME

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 13:00 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Cranappleberry posted:

btw, I hold nothing against individual posters in this thread nor against the premise- that the biosphere is deteriorating rapidly, that this deterioration is accelerating and it means that most living organisms are hosed unless there is an inflection point.

but being positive about this is advocating for the death of billions.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Azathoth posted:

here's my official position: i appreciate that folks like the posts he makes that aren't racist or ecofash, but rime got a heavier probe and ban than most anyone would because when you've got multiple probes and bans for being a racist ecofash and i don't like having racist ecofash running around.

you're a stupid piece of poo poo and I'm glad there are 300 posts between mine and this one where I assume I'll repeatedly get to see posters tell you such

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you're a stupid shithead and Rime did nothing wrong

if you're unfamiliar with Rime's rapsheet why the gently caress are you moderating this thread lol. he's been posting in the climate change threads for years and we all know about his history and he's said repeatedly he's moved on from it and no longer holds those positions (in the same loving post you banned him for even). if he's ecofash every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all, all of us agree with him

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

nice utopia you got going there (1960s vs now)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if you're unfamiliar with Rime's rapsheet why the gently caress are you moderating this thread lol. he's been posting in the climate change threads for years and we all know about his history and he's said repeatedly he's moved on from it and no longer holds those positions (in the same loving post you banned him for even). if he's ecofash every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all, all of us agree with him

To be fair, Rime's rapsheet is over ten years old so most mods start losing interest

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Happy Mother's Day to all climate change thread moms! Hope you're not asking for grandkids!

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

El Laucha posted:

nice utopia you got going there (1960s vs now)

Where is this?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

To be fair, Rime's rapsheet is over ten years old so most mods start losing interest

:perfect:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

:eyepop:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Viña del Mar, Chile

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
700 new posts?? Rime's banned for being ecofash when he's actually not??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

joker laughing with our pals is all we have left to look forward to in the world and the mods are trying to take that from us with bullshit specious ban+30s

Rime gets punished for every lovely thing he says, which is fine and good. He didn't say anything lovely there, objectively, and still got punished for having a "bad rap sheet" or whatever. That's horsecrap. If you think he's a bad poster then queue a perma and say it's not for that post but for a pattern of behavior like with everybody else in that situation.

i stopped trying to catch up on the thread when i reached this post and it's really good so i quoted it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AceClown posted:

Biosphere Collapse: What I find unexpected is most people being shocked

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

AceClown posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AceClown posted:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

every one of us is ecofash and you should ban us all

Hell yeah dude

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

some plague rats posted:

Well you heard the man. Azathoth get to work

agreed. as a fellow biosphere collapse thread poster, you can be liquidated with the rest of us.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Samuel Glompers posted:

Where is this?

FFT posted:

Viña del Mar, Chile

Fun fact: most of those (I'd say 75-90%), sit empty nearly all year long

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
skipping ahead to say rime makes good posts that i enjoyed reading in this thread and it's annoiyiung as poo poo you loving idiots banned him for that post

why the gently caress cant you leave well enough alone even here in the wolrd is ending thread, god drat

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Mods can't risk the blowback from Rime acquiring and using nukes to eliminate the white race. Like what happened with the toe guy.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
lol I didn't realize he got banned for the nuclear bomb comment, where even a cursory glance is enough to pick up that he was not actually advocating to nuke America.

Mods don't understand context! Sad!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

But they do understand petty tyrants. They have learned the lessons of Capitalism well.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

nikosoft posted:

lol I didn't realize he got banned for the nuclear bomb comment, where even a cursory glance is enough to pick up that he was not actually advocating to nuke America.

Mods don't understand context! Sad!

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't even give a gently caress about rime but lol and lmfao

e: when i say "i don't give a gently caress about rime" i mean that i don't have any personal attachment to him and i wouldn't be surprised to see him flame out like most forum superstars, but this ban+30 was some idiotic poo poo

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 15:39 on May 8, 2022

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is about coming to terms with the end of the world so we can have Glenn thread regulars nervously explaining why negativity is so unthinkable to them or how they know the world is hosed "unless" ...unspecified things happen. They are getting closer to dealing with the subject even if they are dancing around it with a mix of condescension and delusion.

Even the dumbass posting tyrant moderator is coping through their indefensible and ignorant decisions. The frustration that is causing such transparently petty and angry mod actions is a frustration a lot of people feel at the message they are claiming Rime is the spokesman for. Punishing Rime and claiming he is an eco fascist is a blow struck against disastrous climate change itself. It's an effective individual action that person feels like they can take even if they can't defend it, it makes no sense and then they lie about why they did it.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 15:44 on May 8, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
This thread is great because it's a like one of the only sane places where you can talk about this stuff without toxic positivity. Every single news article about how things are worst than we thought, things are getting bad faster than we thought, etc always has to end on a positive note that we can still turn things around if we just do this or that. Try to talk about this to your boomer parents and they tell you that people have been saying the world is ending for as long as they can remember. And why can't we be mad or upset about it? We should be! We have those emotions for a reason, this situation loving sucks!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

This thread is great because it's a like one of the only sane places where you can talk about this stuff without toxic positivity. Every single news article about how things are worst than we thought, things are getting bad faster than we thought, etc always has to end on a positive note that we can still turn things around if we just do this or that. Try to talk about this to your boomer parents and they tell you that people have been saying the world is ending for as long as they can remember. And why can't we be mad or upset about it? We should be! We have those emotions for a reason, this situation loving sucks!

Because talking about reality makes you a goony goon cheeto shutin virgin loser according to posters with the most fragile brains

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
people absolutely can't handle a no-win scenario and we're in a no-win scenario

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

unless

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

but enough about freeing rime!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

because i'm getting tired of new thread visitors lecturing the regulars here on touching grass (despite our previous discussions on the cool spring projects we've been doing - sry if i forgot you), here's some new (old?) content

"‘We are living in hell’: Pakistan and India suffer extreme spring heatwaves posted:

We are living in hell’: Pakistan and India suffer extreme spring heatwaves

April temperatures at unprecedented levels have led to critical water and electricity shortages

Hannah Ellis-Petersen in Delhi and Shah Meer Baloch in Islamabad
Mon 2 May 2022 16.07 BST
Last modified on Tue 3 May 2022 04.54 BST

A man walks across a dried bed of the Yamuna River in New Delhi, India. Photograph: Manish Swarup/AP

For the past few weeks, Nazeer Ahmed has been living in one of the hottest places on Earth. As a brutal heatwave has swept across India and Pakistan, his home in Turbat, in Pakistan’s Balochistan region, has been suffering through weeks of temperatures that have repeatedly hit almost 50C (122F), unprecedented for this time of year. Locals have been driven into their homes, unable to work except during the cooler night hours, and are facing critical shortages of water and power.

Ahmed fears that things are only about to get worse. It was here, in 2021, that the world’s highest temperature for May was recorded, a staggering 54C. This year, he said, feels even hotter. “Last week was insanely hot in Turbat. It did not feel like April,” he said.

As the heatwave has exacerbated massive energy shortages across India and Pakistan, Turbat, a city of about 200,000 residents, now barely receives any electricity, with up to nine hours of load shedding every day, meaning that air conditioners and refrigerators cannot function. “We are living in hell,” said Ahmed.

It has been a similar story across the subcontinent, where the realities of climate change are being felt by more than 1.5 billion people as the scorching summer temperatures have arrived two months early and the relief of the monsoons are months away. North-west and central India experienced the hottest April in 122 years, while Jacobabad, a city in Pakistan’s Sindh province, hit 49C on Saturday, one of the highest April temperatures ever recorded in the world.
Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

The heatwave has already had a devastating impact on crops, including wheat and various fruits and vegetables. In India, the yield from wheat crops has dropped by up to 50% in some of the areas worst hit by the extreme temperatures, worsening fears of global shortages following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which has already had a devastating impact on supplies.

In Balochistan’s Mastung district, known for its apple and peach orchards, the harvests have been decimated. Haji Ghulam Sarwar Shahwani, a farmer, watched in anguish as his apple trees blossomed more than a month early, and then despair as the blossom sizzled and then died in the unseasonal dry heat, almost killing off his entire crop. Farmers in the area also spoke of a “drastic” impact on their wheat crops, while the area has also recently been subjected to 18-hour power cuts.

“This is the first time the weather has wreaked such havoc on our crops in this area,” Shahwani said. “We don’t know what to do and there is no government help. The cultivation has decreased; now very few fruits grow. Farmers have lost billions because of this weather. We are suffering and we can’t afford it.”

A man throws water on his face to cool off in Islamabad, Pakistan, last month. Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Sherry Rehman, Pakistan’s minister for climate, told the Guardian that the country was facing an “existential crisis” as climate emergencies were being felt from the north to south of the country.

Rehman warned that the heatwave was causing the glaciers in the north of the country to melt at an unprecedented rate, and that thousands were at risk of being caught in flood bursts. She also said that the sizzling temperatures were not only impacting crops but water supply as well. “The water reservoirs dry up. Our big dams are at dead level right now, and sources of water are scarce,” she said.

Rehman said the heatwave should be a wake-up call to the international community. “Climate and weather events are here to stay and will in fact only accelerate in their scale and intensity if global leaders don’t act now,” she said.

Experts said the scorching heat being felt across the subcontinent was likely a taste of things to come as global heating continues to accelerate. Abhiyant Tiwari, an assistant professor and programme manager at the Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management, said “the extreme, frequent, and long-lasting spells of heatwaves are no more a future risk. It is already here and is unavoidable.”

The World Meteorological Organisation said in a statement that the temperatures in India and Pakistan were “consistent with what we expect in a changing climate. Heatwaves are more frequent and more intense and starting earlier than in the past.”

A heatwave is declared when the maximum temperature is over 40C and at least 4.5C above normal.

Over the weekend in India, Bikaner was the hottest place in the country at 47.1C, according to the India Meteorological Department. However, in some parts of north-west India, images captured by satellites showed that surface land temperatures had exceeded 60C – unprecedented for this time of year when usual surface temperatures are between 45 and 55C.

“The hottest temperatures recorded are south-east and south-west of Ahmedabad, with maximum land-surface temperatures of around 65C,” the European Space Agency said on its website.

The high temperatures have put massive pressure on power demand in both India and Pakistan, where people have had to endure hours of power cuts amid the crippling heat. On Friday, the peak power demand in India touched an all-time high of 207,111MW, according to the government.

India is facing its worst electricity shortage in six decades. Power cuts lasting upwards of eight hours have been imposed in states including Jharkhand, Haryana, Bihar, Punjab and Maharashtra as domestic coal supplies have fallen to critical levels and the price of imported coal has soared. In a bid to speed up the transport of coal across the country, Indian Railways cancelled more than 600 passenger and postal train journeys to make way for transportation of coal to power plants.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:32 on May 8, 2022

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

unban rime and ban the disingenuous dipshit who reported him

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Would not be surprised if there was no report.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

T-Paine posted:

Because talking about reality makes you a goony goon cheeto shutin virgin loser according to posters with the most fragile brains

the top post on any reddit about the climate is usually "Yeah it sounds bad but People are doing Things and you can too. Contact your senator and join this group. Together we CAN fix this and top scientists agree that you doing Things is very helpful"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

Experts said the scorching heat being felt across the subcontinent was likely a taste of things to come as global heating continues to accelerate. Abhiyant Tiwari, an assistant professorand programme manager at the Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management, said “the extreme, frequent, and long-lasting spells of heatwaves are no more a future risk. It is already here and is unavoidable.”

The World Meteorological Organisation said in a statement that the temperatures in India and Pakistan were “consistent with what we expect in a changing climate. Heatwaves are more frequent and more intense and starting earlier than in the past.”

wow, someone should tell these dipshit doomers to stfu

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

but how can it be starting now if it isn't meant to start for another 10 or 20 years?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

AceClown posted:

iirc there's only like the first couple of inches of soil that's actually worth anything nutritionally when it comes it farmland.

That will all blow away pretty quick.

with no water nothing will naturally take hold to replenish the deeper soil

so without any rains or intervention it'll probably become a dead dustbowl

The central valley is such prime farmland because it has (had) feet of prime soil due to being a lake bed or flood plain right up until about 150 years ago

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fly Molo posted:

there’s always weed and elden ring

I thought suicide was against thread rules?

Have some self respect, weed and witcher 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

quote:

A team led by Vikki Thompson of Bristol University ranked the world's most severe heatwaves since 1960. Their benchmark, however, was not maximum temperatures, but how hot it got compared to what would be expected for the region.

Surprisingly, South Asia was nowhere near the top of the list.

"When defined in terms of deviation from the local norm, heatwaves in India and Pakistan to date have not been all that extreme," Thompson explained in a commentary.

By that measure, the worst scorcher on record over the last six decades was in Southeast Asia in 1998.

that guardian article also called it a ‘spring’ heatwave when it’s late summer down there and 3 weeks away from monsoon season

I know the thread wants ministry for the future but it’s gonna be Europeans dropping like flies come summer just like the last two decades