Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish i had cut my losses that early

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really like Gurren Lagann any more but isn't 5 the first Viral episode, that's a bad place to sto--no wait, that's 3, 5 is the Rossiu episode, yeah, ditch

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dogsicle posted:

i wish i had cut my losses that early
Bad Anime Opinion

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Does anyone here have a MyAnimeList? Add me if you want. I don't watch much but enjoy that I do which as whilst. https://myanimelist.net/animelist/synthyLLJK

i'm halfway through Nichijou and if it keeps up the quality it'll likely end up being a 10/10 for me too :hai:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is Gurenn Lagenn just famous for being almost a laser guided meme generator? I've never seen anyone talk about that show for anything like art, story, animation, music, etc. but for all the super insane one-liners and weird power escalation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the shallow meme stuff is just the most present and loudest part of it, not helped by it being now 15 years old so there's less reason it would still be discussed in depth in any way

it's basically proto-trigger so a large part of the appeal is going to be just spectacle/novelty etc though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a good show. it has a ton of passion for the genre, some of the bigger animation talent of its time and a very energetic and exciting soundtrack, and thematically it's a pretty cool story about youth and growing up. it just also pulled in a lot of people more unfamiliar with the area of mecha anime it's homaging so people got the idea it was more unique than it was and not just like, a good homage to stuff like getter robo, and were unaware of the contemporary existence of similar, less dazzlingly popular shows like dancouga nova

it's like if your first jrpg was xenogears and you'd never watched any anime before. without any context for what's going on and what it's drawing from you'll probably think it's the most epic and unique thing ever made. and then you find out like half of it is just referencing some shows from the 80s the devs liked and it's still cool but it makes a bit more sense now

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 8, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

pentyne posted:

Is Gurenn Lagenn just famous for being almost a laser guided meme generator? I've never seen anyone talk about that show for anything like art, story, animation, music, etc. but for all the super insane one-liners and weird power escalation.
probably because it came out in like 2006 and you weren't posting here then.

we talked about all those things pretty much all the time for its entire run and years after. it was by far the biggest show of the era.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was no wings of rean

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it hit an period of overexposure, so it doesn't come up as much outside of jokes, but its still a great show

i never did end up seeing the movies

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Varinn posted:

it hit an period of overexposure, so it doesn't come up as much outside of jokes, but its still a great show

i never did end up seeing the movies
yeah it got GBS'd pretty hard back when GBS was peak reddit

however it was sick as gently caress. great animation, great plot, love a time skip, lots of character development, and it even has a beach ep!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the lagann movies are pretty standard compilation deals but the first clipshows through a lot of the first arc while the second puts a bit more effort into compression via writing choices.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The second also has a new version of the final fight which escalates the power even more.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gurren Lagann was great but yeah it was ran into the ground.

It was fun every step of the way, though. Hell, even the dub had the infamous "EAT THIS!" "NEVER!" *cut immediately to an Arby's sandwich commercial on the Syfy channel*

Love that dang show and its big dumb mecha and its big dumb characters

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

it's like if your first jrpg was xenogears and you'd never watched any anime before. without any context for what's going on and what it's drawing from you'll probably think it's the most epic and unique thing ever made. and then you find out like half of it is just referencing some shows from the 80s the devs liked and it's still cool but it makes a bit more sense now

This might be the hardest I've ever been called out in my life.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked how ridiculous gurren lagann is and how it never takes itself remotely seriously but I hate shounen too so I get why people wouldn't be into it. I think the second season is what really sold me on it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Anyways TTGL is genuinely good with fun characters and action, and I think has mostly stood the test of time. But yeah as the Colonel said, a lot of it's content is explicit homages to older mecha anime, a lot of which peers at the time were unaware of, especially in the west. I do think it's one of those kinds of shows that gets some performative hate because of all the meme culture and people propping it up on a pedestal of best mecha anime, which it probably doesn't deserve, especially when the people doing the propping have probably only seen like 3-5 mecha series total in their lives.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I liked how ridiculous gurren lagann is and how it never takes itself remotely seriously but I hate shounen too so I get why people wouldn't be into it. I think the second season is what really sold me on it.
dont make me post the zorak quote

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Post it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll prop up Gurren Lagann it's a masterpiece!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I have to work on updating my MAL.

I only have 80 completed manga, but 122 reading.

Also 494 completed anime.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

homeless snail posted:

Always post the Zorak quote

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you called my bluff, I don't remember what the zorak quote was

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

Do it pussy

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
"Look, Moltar. I am green with evil" - Zorak

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gurren lagann owns and people quote it and meme it because it was insanely popular, because it was good

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Desperately trying to figure out what would have been airing in September 2007 and choosing to believe this was the final episode of Zetsubou-Sensei

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shinjobi posted:

Gurren Lagann was great but yeah it was ran into the ground.

It was fun every step of the way, though. Hell, even the dub had the infamous "EAT THIS!" "NEVER!" *cut immediately to an Arby's sandwich commercial on the Syfy channel*

Love that dang show and its big dumb mecha and its big dumb characters
The Big Montana Spiral Power

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao forever

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao. did not expect that

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Waffleman_ posted:

Desperately trying to figure out what would have been airing in September 2007 and choosing to believe this was the final episode of Zetsubou-Sensei

the good timeline says its moribito but i doubt it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Remembering when Zorak had an existential crisis about liking Kill la Kill despite it having a lot of fanservice and the entire subforum convinced itself it was ironic

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the good timeline says its moribito but i doubt it

Moribito was pretty good.

Hell, I read the two novels Scholastic brought over stateside after I finished the series. Balsa kicked a metric fuckton of rear end.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

Remembering when Zorak had an existential crisis about liking Kill la Kill despite it having a lot of fanservice and the entire subforum convinced itself it was ironic
kill la kill was bad but drat darling in the franxx was so much worse

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
moribito is good, too good for zorak

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

moribito is good, too good for zorak
yeah it absolutely wasn’t that

i don’t have archives because i get banned all the time but somebody needs to look it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All the anime that aired in 2007 and would have had an episode aired around September 22:

Les Misérables: Shojo Cosette
Yes! PreCure 5
GeGeGe no Kitaro
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Strikers
My Bride is a Mermaid
El Cazador de la Bruja
Engage Planet Kiss Dum
Oh! Edo Rocket
Over Drive
Sugarbunnies
Toka Gettan
Claymore