Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jen X posted:

his class mates are boring and one-note outside the real characters

drat if only there was some way to ensure they have more screentime to develop, maybe actually including them in key moments could help.

And to be perfectly honest, Deku himself is already kind of boring, making him this near omni-powerful hero just makes that worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not really. The only major quirkless character in the movies is Melissa, and she's working to become a support technician.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

drat if only there was some way to ensure they have more screentime to develop, maybe actually including them in key moments could help.

I truly doubt that we lost out on much by not learning the tragic backstory of, uh, sugar guy, or rock-head dude, or tail dude

the cast of actual characters is huge enough as is

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

Not really. The only major quirkless character in the movies is Melissa, and she's working to become a support technician.

Ah, that's a shame.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I saw someone comment that the reason they dislike Deku is because the story opens with him lamenting how all people aren't born equal and how he's an outlier because he doesn't have a Quirk, only to have a Quirk and then immediately assimilate into that society without having any kind of issue with it.

I hadn't really thought about that, but it is a rather bizarre thing now that someone mentions it. I haven't really seen any of the movies aside from the second one with Goonami. Has Deku ever had to hang out with any Quirkless would-be heroes in those?

Melissa Shield is quirkless, but she also doesn’t really live in the same society to begin with, seeing as she lives on an isolated scientist only floating island. She also has no aspirations for heroism, only supporting the heroism of others via technology.

I feel like part of it is that Izuku never felt separated from the society of heroes, he was separated from his classmates by Bakugo’s bullying. But if anything that made him bury himself deeper into the heroism stuff. Part of it is also that the quirkless population is likely largely old, and that children without quirks is exceedingly rare.

But realistically Bakugo’s bullying is what was separating Izuku, once Bakugo stopped so did everyone else.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jen X posted:

the cast of actual characters is huge enough as is

3 isn't a very big number

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Flesnolk posted:

3 isn't a very big number

look at how much the manga's struggling with just 3.5 storylines though

can't even imagine how much of a slog it'd be if even more people had nemeses to defeat

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanos posted:

Think about how great it would have been if that was the end of AfO for real.

I know this is from 2 days ago and I haven't kept up with MHA for like a few months now but yeah, it sorta cheeses me off that AFO ends that arc by telling All Might that he would have been better of dying and giving Deku the impetus to grow on his own instead of clinging to life, because AFO ends up going against that advice by not just coming back but also taking control of Tomura.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

He turns people into bombs and lies?!
This AFO guy is absolutely twisted!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RareAcumen posted:

No dignity.

AFO is a very 'insincere' guy, isn't he? Like he basically set all of this up as a troll (which also happens to restore him to ultimate power).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

And that makes him hella boring.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
AFO was genuinely more interesting when he appeared to be a dude who legitimately believed in raising Tomura to be his successor, and not just a dude who planned on hijacking the body of a kid he turned into a monster just so Deku could save Tomura, who is now actually a victim and not a villain.

I realize this is an uncharitable read of the whole situation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nessus posted:

No dignity.

AFO is a very 'insincere' guy, isn't he? Like he basically set all of this up as a troll (which also happens to restore him to ultimate power).

The ultimate griefer

remember when shigaraki was a gamer

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

We're going to find out Sugar Man died offscreen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Horikoshi speedruns us to the end and we defeat AFO Shigaraki Neo

And then the manga goes on for 3 more years at a relaxed pace as we get to actually have everyone interact and be characters and there's no Doomsday to oppose.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Horikoshi speedruns us to the end and we defeat AFO Shigaraki Neo

And then the manga goes on for 3 more years at a relaxed pace as we get to actually have everyone interact and be characters and there's no Doomsday to oppose.

I mean, unironically yes

Give me MHA Slice-of-Life where the characters get to interact and bounce off one another's personalities as actual people

I've written stories without conflict and had people actually enjoy it; now imagine a paid professional taking a stab at it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Getting 20 likes on AO3 and doing the "drat this is doing numbers" twitter post.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We found the guy who sent in the surveys during the camp arc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I won't be stopped until I get the Deku's Shoe and All Might buddy chapter

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't really seen any of the movies aside from the second one with Goonami. Has Deku ever had to hang out with any Quirkless would-be heroes in those?

There's a character in the second movie whose quirk is so unsuited to being a Hero that he may as well be quirkless and Deku gets to tell him that he can be one anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Getting 20 likes on AO3 and doing the "drat this is doing numbers" twitter post.
:hmmyes:
And like banger tweets, sometimes you only get 27 kudos and 2019 views for stories you put your whole heart, soul, mind, body, blood, sweat, and tears into, and the quick slice-of-life you do on a whim gets over 300 kudos and over 8000 views

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

These are definitely numbers that are relevant to one of the biggest comic publishers in the world.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

:hmmyes:
And like banger tweets, sometimes you only get 27 kudos and 2019 views for stories you put your whole heart, soul, mind, body, blood, sweat, and tears into, and the quick slice-of-life you do on a whim gets over 300 kudos and over 8000 views

Vinylshadow posted:

Either May had surgery done, or she de-aged, because her bust shrank when she came back

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hey quick q what was your fanfic about

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

These are definitely numbers that are relevant to one of the biggest comic publishers in the world.

I'll have you know my coffeeshop au slice of life fiction is very popular among the specific subculture that wants only that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

hey quick q what was your fanfic about

They're both quiet slice-of-life AU; the only real difference was the fandom they were posted in (Pokemon and Warrior Cats respectively)

One handles SOL far better than the other it seems

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm rooting for team orange blue

In the 5 seconds I took to click post and start typing I forgot what team Mineta was on and my decision reverted to my favorite color

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 10, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Team blue is definitely cheating

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mount Lady is the best outfielder in the game, home runs just bounce off her butt.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's gonna be some fun Quirk interplay

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Katsuki: loving GODDAMMIT FOUR-EYES I TOLD YOU TO SHAVE THOSE SIDEBURNS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Mount Lady is the best outfielder in the game, home runs just bounce off her butt.

Unless it’s sugarman, who for once actually gets to be a legitimate threat

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mineta throwing grapes as a pitcher.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mineta throwing grapes as a pitcher.

Giving a whole new meaning to the term "stickball"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kirishima deliberately tanking pitches so he can get walked to base. Fatgum as catcher, just letting the ball sink into him. Ojiro being a normal guy who happens to be pretty good at baseball, also has a tail.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I always figured Mineta would look good in orange. He should wear it every day. In the same place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's funny to think about what sports regulations must look like in a world where everyone has bespoke superpowers. On the one hand you'd want huge quirk restriction rules to keep a fair playing field because otherwise the game is a joke, on the other hand you'd want to attract audiences by showing off the guy with a literal cannon for an arm shooting 300 mph fastballs and the guy with a super jump quirk leaping from one end of the basketball court to the other without touching the ground.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also that if you restrict quirks you have to restrict mutants since you can't tell a 9 foot tall alligator person not to crowd the strike zone.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Also that if you restrict quirks you have to restrict mutants since you can't tell a 9 foot tall alligator person not to crowd the strike zone.

I wonder if they have stadiums specifically designed for giant quirks (also used by the people with speed quirks to get around the bases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's funny to think about what sports regulations must look like in a world where everyone has bespoke superpowers. On the one hand you'd want huge quirk restriction rules to keep a fair playing field because otherwise the game is a joke, on the other hand you'd want to attract audiences by showing off the guy with a literal cannon for an arm shooting 300 mph fastballs and the guy with a super jump quirk leaping from one end of the basketball court to the other without touching the ground.

Some La Brava-sized lady in an nails the pitch and immediately puts it through a teleporter, rocketing away 22,000' in the air.