Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
LA Noire, probably. Completely pointless in every way to have an open world in that game. Definitely wasted many man hours trying to get it working, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Snake Maze posted:

The thing is we don’t know how repairing the ring is supposed to fix anything. Is there metaphysical poo poo that has become, to use a technical term, “hosed up”, and can be un-hosed if the ring is fixed? Or is fixing the ring in response to the shattering like reviving Archduke Ferdinand in response to WWI?

It's a standard fantasy setup: there was a magic artifact that blessed the land, the artifact is now broken, the land is suffering, please fix the artifact. You get to be king if you can manage it! Then you're hustled into the open world and the two fingers cross themselves that you won't ask too many questions about what it means to be "blessed" and if everyone got blessed and if not who didn't, or how the artifact got broken in the first place. Just head to that pretty golden tree and fix our atifact, good hero

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a me problem but I haven't played MH Rise in a long time and I forget how to style on monsters with a longsword.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst maps in open world games?

Arkham Origins is two separate districts of Gotham stitched together by a long bridge. You're going to use fast-travel to skip crossing that bridge every time a quest prompts you. You can't fly gracefully as there are numerous large buildings in the way you can't grapple to, making the playable space actually a weird question-mark shape.

What further compounds it is that there are gunmen everywhere. One particular spot is full of snipers for no reason. The whole map feels empty as it's bland, snowy, and full of half-heartedly placed collectibles. The Riddler is voiced by the same guy as always, but he's bored and doesn't a poo poo about what's going on.

The handful of interior levels are no better. There's a police station and if you want to backtrack through it you have to go through vents and broken windows because Batman lacks the will or strength to just knock an ordinary door open. At one point you must enter a morgue, except you find the place by going up a trap-door in a vast sewer system underneath.

I love all the Arkham games and had great fun with all of them. Some were better than others but I was never sorry that I bought any of them.

My least favorite open world games were State of Decay and Fallout 4 for whatever that's worth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oh right, duh, of course they were a consequence of godwyn getting entangled in the erdtree. why else would all the gondolier skellingtons be carrying deathroot

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

LA Noire, probably. Completely pointless in every way to have an open world in that game. Definitely wasted many man hours trying to get it working, I'm sure.

Yeah there was never a reason not to let your partner drive in that game unless you're a masochist or doing something silly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On the topic of Elden Ring story, one thing that somewhat dragged it down for me is that there's barely any sense of normalcy to return to or establish. Everything and everyone you come across is some weird metaphorical larger-than-life weird poo poo. Everything has already decayed so far for so long that there doesn't seem to be anybody left for whom the world's resurrection would matter. Almost every person you meet (who isn't functionally mindless) is themselves involved in some grand scheme to overthrow the order of things. There's no like, community of turnip farmers sequestered away somewhere who are just waiting for it to stop raining super plague so they can go back to having a pleasant life. It ends up feeling kind of solipsistic, you change the world because you can, but the world doesn't actually much care.

In the great scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but after loving around with space aliens and demigods all game long it started to feel a bit untethered from the physical world it ostensibly is set in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Perestroika posted:

On the topic of Elden Ring story, one thing that somewhat dragged it down for me is that there's barely any sense of normalcy to return to or establish. Everything and everyone you come across is some weird metaphorical larger-than-life weird poo poo. Everything has already decayed so far for so long that there doesn't seem to be anybody left for whom the world's resurrection would matter. Almost every person you meet (who isn't functionally mindless) is themselves involved in some grand scheme to overthrow the order of things. There's no like, community of turnip farmers sequestered away somewhere who are just waiting for it to stop raining super plague so they can go back to having a pleasant life. It ends up feeling kind of solipsistic, you change the world because you can, but the world doesn't actually much care.

In the great scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but after loving around with space aliens and demigods all game long it started to feel a bit untethered from the physical world it ostensibly is set in.

A lot of FROMsoft games are like that, but you can usually return to a community of sorts (your Majulas, your Firelinks Shrine, and so forth), where people live and sell you things. Is there no home base in Elden Ring?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Philippe posted:

A lot of FROMsoft games are like that, but you can usually return to a community of sorts (your Majulas, your Firelinks Shrine, and so forth), where people live and sell you things. Is there no home base in Elden Ring?

There is, but it runs into "Almost every person you meet (who isn't functionally mindless) is themselves involved in some grand scheme to overthrow the order of things"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I also think it works in the Souls games because you can recognize and understand what fell. You can tell what the Undead Burg is supposed to look like, even if right now it's a shithole. So not only is it pretty clear what happened to these places (again, 'zombies' to some degree), you can also tell what fell.

Not only can I not tell you what the Shattering did in Elden Ring, I can't tell you how it affected the world. I can't read Limgrave as anything other than a bunch of ruins. But I also similarly can't tell you what, if anything, happened to Raya Lucaria and Leyndell beyond 'I'm pretty sure Leyndell didn't have a giant tree in it before'. The only place I can actually recognize as where something identifiable had something bad happen in it was Caelid, and Caelid had an entirely different kind of horrible disaster hit it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It also doesn't help that The Lands Between in Elden Ring are explicitly not the entire world and that the outside world continues on without any real notice or care what happens in the Lands Between.

Theres just sort of a core missing component of investment and understanding in Elden Ring that Dark, Demon, and Bloodborne all have.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Isn’t Caelid the direct result of infighting among two demigods that itself was fallout from. The Shattering? That was my understanding from what I’ve seen so far/heard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Last Celebration posted:

Isn’t Caelid the direct result of infighting among two demigods that itself was fallout from. The Shattering? That was my understanding from what I’ve seen so far/heard.

Maybe! Not sure. But Caelid got filled with a poisonous rot. I can identify what happened over there!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Barudak posted:

It also doesn't help that The Lands Between in Elden Ring are explicitly not the entire world and that the outside world continues on without any real notice or care what happens in the Lands Between.

Theres just sort of a core missing component of investment and understanding in Elden Ring that Dark, Demon, and Bloodborne all have.

Bloodborne, especially! You can pretty easily identify what happened to Yharnam and sympathise with it. The game is built on layers of secrets, but the top layer is understandable, at the very least, and invites you to go deeper. As Cleretic said, the Lands Between just look like a videogame world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Perestroika posted:

Jarburg seems pretty chill tbh

A lot of those soldiers would probably go chill with the windmill ladies or something

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc the windmill ladies are implied to be the ones who make the outfits for the Godskin Nobles/Scions which makes it one of the most hosed places in the game considering how happy they are.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BiggerBoat posted:

I love all the Arkham games and had great fun with all of them. Some were better than others but I was never sorry that I bought any of them.

My least favorite open world games were State of Decay and Fallout 4 for whatever that's worth.

Fallout 4's world felt absolutely tiny. Only two hubs, a lot of dungeons with the one collectible, a load of empty zones meant for settlement building, and three or so biomes: Boston, the forested area, and the Glowing sea.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The worst open world for me was The Saboteur. If it had just been Paris it would have been fine, but about half the map was the countryside to the north of Paris, and what made me quit the game was a quest giver about as far northwest as you could go (near a crashed zepplin I think), so I got in my (slow 1940s) car and drove all the way to the mission, talked to the person who gave me a mission... All the way back in Paris. I cant remember if the game had no fast travel, very limited fast travel, or if the mission was specifically to drive a particular car to Paris, but either way I just had this moment of "this game has no respect for my time", quit it and never went back. Its a shame because it did have some really interesting ideas in places!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't think fallout 4 would have felt nearly as lifeless or static to play in if the settlement building feature had been more fully fleshed out. When you mod the poo poo out of it to add a robust settlement building aspect and NPCs to populate settlements that feel like they have any kind of sense of weight it feels quite good. As it was it felt like they were assuming modders were going to fix their boring game (which they did so jokes on me I guess)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caufman posted:

Yeah there was never a reason not to let your partner drive in that game unless you're a masochist or doing something silly.

The game actually decides to gently caress you over later in the game if you let your partner drive.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4's world felt absolutely tiny. Only two hubs, a lot of dungeons with the one collectible, a load of empty zones meant for settlement building, and three or so biomes: Boston, the forested area, and the Glowing sea.

My main problem with Fallout 4 is that there's really only two populated places (Good Neighbor and Diamond City) otherwise I thought it was lots of places to explore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alhazred posted:

The game actually decides to gently caress you over later in the game if you let your partner drive.

How's that? I never played the game, but a complaint like that just instantly makes me curious.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't think fallout 4 would have felt nearly as lifeless or static to play in if the settlement building feature had been more fully fleshed out. When you mod the poo poo out of it to add a robust settlement building aspect and NPCs to populate settlements that feel like they have any kind of sense of weight it feels quite good. As it was it felt like they were assuming modders were going to fix their boring game (which they did so jokes on me I guess)

Alhazred posted:

My main problem with Fallout 4 is that there's really only two populated places (Good Neighbor and Diamond City) otherwise I thought it was lots of places to explore.

It didn't help Fallout 4's case for me that I went into it right after coming off Witcher 3, which is pretty much the exact opposite of dull, lifeless environments.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

How's that? I never played the game, but a complaint like that just instantly makes me curious.

Late in the game you have to drive to various landmarks that you really only will have to chance to find if you have driven around yourself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So far, early in, I'm finding DS3 a big improvement over DS1 and a lot more fun. I don't know if I'm just better at it from playing the first one or if it's more forgiving overall but it feels more fair and none of my deaths have seemed overly cheap. Yet.

My only gripe is the hub and having to warp back to it to level up and poo poo.

I guess this is somewhat mitigated by having fast travel available right away but it just seems weird to add an additional loading screen when I could just take care of my basic soul spending/leveling up right there at the bonfire I'm at. Though I have to admit that having a merchant and a blacksmith in one area that you can warp or homeward bone to right out of the gate is pretty god damned sweet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BiggerBoat posted:

So far, early in, I'm finding DS3 a big improvement over DS1 and a lot more fun. I don't know if I'm just better at it from playing the first one or if it's more forgiving overall but it feels more fair and none of my deaths have seemed overly cheap. Yet.

My only gripe is the hub and having to warp back to it to level up and poo poo.

I guess this is somewhat mitigated by having fast travel available right away but it just seems weird to add an additional loading screen when I could just take care of my basic soul spending/leveling up right there at the bonfire I'm at. Though I have to admit that having a merchant and a blacksmith in one area that you can warp or homeward bone to right out of the gate is pretty god damned sweet.

Yet another gameplay issue fixed with Elden Ring, which brings back the "level at bonfire" feature only seen in Dark Souls 1.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Caufman posted:

I enjoyed LA Noire, and I loved the depiction of the city, but god that open world is absolutely the most tacked on. It feels like they had a boss telling them that open worlds were a thing so they had to have an open world, and a few collectibles in it because you had to have collectibles in an open world, but it was all just so pointless. Gorgeous, atmospheric and lovingly realised but completely pointless. The system for asking your partner directions was great, I loved it, but also I'd love it more in a different game or a version of LA Noire that justified its open world.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember hating the LA Noire achievement to drive every kind of car. IIRC there were around 30 different cars, but since its set in the 40s most of them looked identical, and there were no specific spawn spots for most of them so you had to go out of your way to be looking for them and hope they just happened to spawn where you needed them

E: lol I looked it up and there were ninety-loving-eight, although about 20 of those were unique ones that were a little easier to get, but the vast majority were still very samey and spawned at random

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Horizon Forbidden West did a lot of improvements and fixes from Zero Dawn. (Like the inventory and jobs system. The job system is actually really good now and I use it consistently.)
But there is still someone in the dev team that lusts for innocent animal slaughter for the ammo pouches. Also you now have to swim and punch fish instead of just shooting them.

God, why can't I use use machine parts to upgrade the ammo pouches like everything else in the game? Engaging with machines is fun.
Running around in a zone to force an owl to spawn, so that you can kill it and... no, that's not the item you needed, is not.

gently caress off game, I refuse to engage in crab slaughter. (The seagulls are a different story however.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

christmas boots posted:

Yet another gameplay issue fixed with Elden Ring, which brings back the "level at bonfire" feature only seen in Dark Souls 1.

While keeping the "speak to an NPC to level up element" feature for exposition by having the level-up NPC traveling in your pocket.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dont want to get too spoilery here but if you're interested in getting 5 free levels and don't mind looking like a hot dog person, and unlocking the crazy weird ending look up a guide on " Lord Of Holllws" ending. Its byzantine and fickle and I refuse to believe anyone found it organically. Had to datamining.

Just dont beat the Farron Swamp boss before the little weirdo gives you all 5 levels. It's too late after that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Opopanax posted:

but since its set in the 40s most of them looked identical

That's still true now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dont want to get too spoilery here but if you're interested in getting 5 free levels and don't mind looking like a hot dog person, and unlocking the crazy weird ending look up a guide on " Lord Of Holllws" ending. Its byzantine and fickle and I refuse to believe anyone found it organically. Had to datamining.

Just dont beat the Farron Swamp boss before the little weirdo gives you all 5 levels. It's too late after that.

this honestly isn’t THAT hard to figure out organically except for the one point where a completely random statue in a corner full of completely identical statues is apparently an NPC using a chameleon spell and hitting them causes you to fail the quest….but it’s in a room with tons of the statues and a bonfire so there’s no reason to go swinging your weapon around in there anyway

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

christmas boots posted:

The more I think on it though, I'm kinda buying into it. It's kind of nice knowing exactly where to go when I want to sell poo poo, upgrade my gear or spend some souls and the fast travel from the get go is pretty great and cuts down on the repetitious backtracking. I think I complained prematurely.

Another thing I like about DS3 over DS1 is that smashing poo poo actually occasionally does something. I got into the habit of busting up things just to help me keep track of areas I've cleared and not get lost but I've also found a lot of items and passages. Speaking of passages, I keep smacking suspicious walls and so far nothing. Did they do away with illusory walls?

Sorry to keep posting DS poo poo. I'd do it in the Elden Ring thread but anything I write there will get lost in the fog.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BiggerBoat posted:

The more I think on it though, I'm kinda buying into it. It's kind of nice knowing exactly where to go when I want to sell poo poo, upgrade my gear or spend some souls and the fast travel from the get go is pretty great and cuts down on the repetitious backtracking. I think I complained prematurely.

Another thing I like about DS3 over DS1 is that smashing poo poo actually occasionally does something. I got into the habit of busting up things just to help me keep track of areas I've cleared and not get lost but I've also found a lot of items and passages. Speaking of passages, I keep smacking suspicious walls and so far nothing. Did they do away with illusory walls?

Sorry to keep posting DS poo poo. I'd do it in the Elden Ring thread but anything I write there will get lost in the fog.

Yes there are illusory walls. Yes they work the same way they do in DS1. (DS2 has illusory walls but they work differently)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Can you roll into DS3 walls to reveal them?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Sonic Generations is actually pretty great! I don't know when I got this game... years ago in a dollar bundle or something I'm thinking. The story is who-gives-a-poo poo and the characters are stupid but when the game delivers what it's intending to, it's a real solid game. Some of the levels are just an awesome high-speed tour through massive 3D levels with lights and spinning and cool loops and poo poo...

But 100% of my deaths in this game is because either the controls are garbage or the level design is weird. Level design wise, the game clearly has sections where you are not meant to go through slowly, and if you gently caress up and run into a wall or something, you'll find that the physics are so goddamn awful and weird at low speeds and like, there are so many giant holes in the level that kill you when you go through. They're often there just kind of at random, not like what looks like a trap to avoid, but just like, hey why not toss some holes around in case the lovely controls cause Sonic to not lock on to the loving spring thing and now he has to walk around with way too much momentum. Walking Sonic around feels like he's always on goddamn ice.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Late in the game you have to drive to various landmarks that you really only will have to chance to find if you have driven around yourself.

Hmm, I don't remember that happening, but I remember the late game way worse than the early game. Was this when you're playing as Jack Kelso? I remember he doesn't have a partner, but I thought the game still had a fast travel option when playing as him.

Another thing that bothered me about LA Noire: Cole Phelps himself. I never warmed up to liking him. He's not at all the image of a hard-boiled detective I thought I'd be playing as, and he blinks a lot, like an unbelievably distracting amount of blinking. I remember enjoying the few missions you get to play as Jack a lot more and wished he was the primary protagonist for the game.

edit: One last nitpick for LA Noire (which had strength beyond my little criticisms, and I do wish they made more games like it): one of my favorite small things in open world games with driving is choosing where to park the car. Am I going to park like a sensible person or like a total psychopath today? Don't know why, but I get such pleasure from deciding this. But LA Noire removes this freedom from me and plays a cutscene whenever the car is close to its destination. :mad:

Caufman has a new favorite as of 05:02 on May 9, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caufman posted:

Hmm, I don't remember that happening, but I remember the late game way worse than the early game. Was this when you're playing as Jack Kelso? I remember he doesn't have a partner, but I thought the game still had a fast travel option when playing as him.

During the Quarter Moon Murders case you have to pick up clues at various landmarks.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

credburn posted:

Sonic Generations is actually pretty great! I don't know when I got this game... years ago in a dollar bundle or something I'm thinking. The story is who-gives-a-poo poo and the characters are stupid but when the game delivers what it's intending to, it's a real solid game. Some of the levels are just an awesome high-speed tour through massive 3D levels with lights and spinning and cool loops and poo poo...

But 100% of my deaths in this game is because either the controls are garbage or the level design is weird. Level design wise, the game clearly has sections where you are not meant to go through slowly, and if you gently caress up and run into a wall or something, you'll find that the physics are so goddamn awful and weird at low speeds and like, there are so many giant holes in the level that kill you when you go through. They're often there just kind of at random, not like what looks like a trap to avoid, but just like, hey why not toss some holes around in case the lovely controls cause Sonic to not lock on to the loving spring thing and now he has to walk around with way too much momentum. Walking Sonic around feels like he's always on goddamn ice.

Just wait til you experience the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

how can the game be good if the controls and level design are not