Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Stupid

Stupid stupid stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He can do anything he wants to as long as he's played his last game for the Devils.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

To the surprise of absolutely no one Pierre didn’t last a full year in management

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

To the surprise of absolutely no one Pierre didn’t last a full year in management

I heard the Islanders need a new coach.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

.... I guess this is just because he's an rear end in a top hat irl? because nobody could build up a bad enough track record in 10 months working a bs position to get fired on the merits in this sport..

Like the thing that gets tied to him most often as a Pierre decision for Ottawa is the drafting of that dude in the 1st round who had like.. 3 points in college hockey before he washed out of his program. But Pierre only started with Ottawa the week before the draft so I don't know how much influence he could have had on that or anything else..

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wasn't upset with PK's Devils tenure, he still played hard and did a lot of good things, he's just not the player he used to be. He could be a solid #4/#5 on a good team.

It is kinda surprising how bad his skating fell off. It used to be so elite, I wonder if he's almost playing with too much muscle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously would Pierre have even had the chance to actually do anything in his tenure with Ottawa?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh gently caress me, now he’s going to get hired by ESPN for playoff coverage…

:suicide:

I meant to post the other day that we all cheered Pierre's demise only for ESPN to give us a new Pierre in Leah Hextall.

I would unironically rather have Pierre. At least his grating commentary was fueled by enthusiasm.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers noooo

It's simple really

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

Seriously would Pierre have even had the chance to actually do anything in his tenure with Ottawa?

I legit wouldn't be surprised that he was hired by melnyk to keep tabs on the front office

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hopefully they don't put Pierre on tv again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

the only reason he has a career

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
PK would be a good fit for buffalo's current D corps assuming he would settle for a 2 or 3 year deal before settling into a full-time ESPN gig

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Like the thing that gets tied to him most often as a Pierre decision for Ottawa is the drafting of that dude in the 1st round who had like.. 3 points in college hockey before he washed out of his program. But Pierre only started with Ottawa the week before the draft so I don't know how much influence he could have had on that or anything else..

At the best, he didn't overrule the scouting staff's recommendation. Perhaps Dorion was super keen on it, but he doesn't seem that dumb. At worst, he might have pushed for it. Not much point in having a manager (general or otherwise) like that either way, really.

Also lol Tyler Boucher barely cracked 0.5 PPG in the OHL after college. Great D+1 season. But he has tools, and size! (an entire inch over Cole Sillinger)

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2022

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd like to see PK sign one year with the habs, since it's going to be another down year, and then retire.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's Steve Yzerman's birthday!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AsInHowe posted:

It's Steve Yzerman's birthday!

And Lou gave him a really nice present

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/justalitltaller/status/1523711829469392896

100% choosing to believe this is real

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

T-Bone posted:

I wasn't upset with PK's Devils tenure, he still played hard and did a lot of good things, he's just not the player he used to be. He could be a solid #4/#5 on a good team.

It is kinda surprising how bad his skating fell off. It used to be so elite, I wonder if he's almost playing with too much muscle.

Everyone lambasted Nashville for trading away PK, yet he inexplicably fell off a cliff as soon as he got to Jersey

Shrug emoji

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

He was both bad and dirty.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I couldn't tell you what he actually did but McGuire's role was theoretically in Player Development.

In the initial hiring he also said he would speak to the media a lot, which would've made sense, but almost never did.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everyone lambasted Nashville for trading away PK, yet he inexplicably fell off a cliff as soon as he got to Jersey

Shrug emoji

He was trending down in that last season too.

mcmagic posted:

He was both bad and dirty.

He wasn't bad he just wasn't the player he used to be and was surrounded by a horrific team. He played hard and oh well about the dirty this is the franchise of Scott Stevens and Claude Lemieux who cares. The Devils absolutely need more physical/dirty/poo poo stirring guys like PK for their bottom six/third pair, just not at 9m a year.

I think it's pretty dumb tbh that no one picked him up at the deadline but maybe the Devils weren't willing to eat enough salary for the return.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2022

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1523703954323820545?s=21&t=QnYgVlEeNTuNqgaGGdE5Uw

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
also very excited to have this same conversation in *checks notes* 6 years about Dougie

only very very sort of kidding

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I couldn't tell you what he actually did but McGuire's role was theoretically in Player Development.

That may or may not include scouting. Funnily enough, the Sens' detailed hockey ops staff bio page didn't even have an entry for McGuire a week ago (he's still there on the list with mostly creepily-framed headshots). Glad to see the Sens are gainfully employing Davis "Bill Dauterive" Payne and the boulder-crushing jaws of Shean Donovan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shrug emoji

Did they? Montreal made a bad trade, by the time Nashville sent him off it was the right call.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hold on a sec, Pierre was a GM? :stare:

Man, I have been out of the loop.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

He wasn't

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MJeff posted:

No, he was VP Player Development. That usually means being in charge of skills coaches, training camps and the like but could include farm teams and scouting on a team like Ottawa that has like 1/3 of the staff of the Leafs. Their staff page does say that Dorion (GM) is in charge of scouting so who the gently caress knows if he's just blaming McGuire for their awful 2021 draft.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Loooooollllll

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MJeff posted:

In the past, like the Hartford Whalers IIRC.

Also LMAO :rip: in piss

I first saw Pierre on a local Montreal hockey show as an occasional commentator. That show was an absolute hoot and pure Montreal: set at Winnies, with two people (say Pierre and Jack Todd) chatting to either side of Pat Hickey as he slowly slid off his chair drunk as the program went on. Good times.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

In the past, like the Hartford Whalers IIRC.

He was assistant coach, assistant GM and head coach (bad), never a full GM not because there haven't been more incompetent GMs in the past but seriously look at and listen to him.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Melnyk daughters are cleverly giving Pierre some media spotlight and forcing him to seek new employment.

Islanders to hire Coach Pierre (E5)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

eXXon posted:

He was assistant coach, assistant GM and head coach (bad), never a full GM not because there haven't been more incompetent GMs in the past but seriously look at and listen to him.

ah I must have been misremembering the head coach job as GM, thanks!

(I can only ever hear Latandresse's name with his voice because he seemed to go out of his way to say it again and again during the world juniors one year, might have been the one when Gord Miller got pissed on air and basically ended his career at TSN)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/willyscarl/status/1523698709413826560

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s time again to post the Pierre McGuire greatest hits. Here’s what I got:

https://i.imgur.com/u38hlnJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/YHx3z4H.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/zxxERAB.gifv

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gweRPxlG8H4

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1523728022007738369?t=40pth3dZ95btZ4_RIYZ_dw&s=19

lol Benning

I actually like OEL as a player, just wish he made 4.26 instead of 7.26

goldrush fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

5 more years at 7.25 mill a season.. The contract is slightly better than Tyler Seguin's deal, maybe the Stars and Canucks can work something out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just realized that Jim Rutherford shipped Brandon Sutter out of Carolina to Pittsburgh, then went to Pittsburgh and one of the first things he did there was get rid of Sutter; and now he's running the Canucks.