Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Turns out passing legislation isn't impossible after all and all those mandatory debate periods and committee hearings and stuff are fake and don't really hold anything up at all.
https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1523690465589010432

It is also really interesting to hear Dems say that they've got midterms in the bag if Republicans blow up abortion rights, meanwhile Democrats do everything they can to help and protect the Republicans, who exactly are all those pro-choice midterm votes going to go to? The party that cries their hands are tied when it comes to protecting the people from the courts, but can't move fast enough to protect the courts from the people?

One thing that absolutely cannot be tolerated is even the most minute accountability of those in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The guy looking on as George Floyd murdered a man had joined the police hoping to change them from within.

The organisation has developed defenses against that a long, long time ago. Those trying to make the police anything but an instrument of state-sponsored murder are co-opted, ejected or killed quickly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

Holy poo poo, completely loving brainless. If the Democratic response to Republicans stripping women of their human rights is to pass a law cracking down on protesters I was somehow giving them too much credit

Yeah I didn't expect that and I thought I was cynical.

I mean, I'm not too surprised. Just remembering now how the Democrats' response to cops beating and gassing protesters against police brutality was to kneel with some cloths and suggest cops should be shooting people in the legs, and the only policing bills they passed all year was a bill to reward cops with more money after the cops let right-wing rioters into the Capitol to smash stuff up.

But I am like kinda surprised lol. It actually makes me more favorable to the protests at Kav's house than I was before. I thought it was nice to see but probably meaningless, but watching the entire political class clutch their pearls over it and call for a police crackdown on folks singing in front of a judge's house is convincing me it may be more effective than I thought.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

Holy poo poo, completely loving brainless. If the Democratic response to Republicans stripping women of their human rights is to pass a law cracking down on protesters I was somehow giving them too much credit

Triple brainless, actually. Cracking down on protestors, protecting the people stripping their constituent's bodily autonomy, and all before the doomed vote to legalize abortion.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VitalSigns posted:

Turns out passing legislation isn't impossible after all and all those mandatory debate periods and committee hearings and stuff are fake and don't really hold anything up at all.

It is also really interesting to hear Dems say that they've got midterms in the bag if Republicans blow up abortion rights, meanwhile Democrats do everything they can to help and protect the Republicans, who exactly are all those pro-choice midterm votes going to go to? The party that cries their hands are tied when it comes to protecting the people from the courts, but can't move fast enough to protect the courts from the people?

holy fuckin poo poo i hate the democratic party so goddamn much

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The guy looking on as George Floyd murdered a man had joined the police hoping to change them from within.

The organisation has developed defenses against that a long, long time ago. Those trying to make the police anything but an instrument of state-sponsored murder are co-opted, ejected or killed quickly.

Lol is this true? Assuming it is, could you imagine what would have happened to that guy if he'd actually saved George Floyd or even just tried.

It isn't like My Lai where the brass actually doesn't want too many egregious embarrassing war crimes because it makes winning the war harder, so you can actually get awarded the distinguished flying cross for intervening and making the military look good.

Do that in the police force and you'll just find yourself sent into an armed robbery with your backup mysteriously never arriving, assuming they don't just pin a crime on you or secretly have you committed to a mental institution.

Well maybe if he'd tried and failed he'd be too famous to kill (probably would still get quietly pushed out though), but if he'd succeeded and therefore nobody knew Floyd's name, :rip:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Anyone able to find the text of the bill itself?

I can only find this from John Cornyn:

https://www.cornyn.senate.gov/node/6694 posted:

“The events of the past week have intensified the focus on Supreme Court Justices’ families, who are unfortunately facing threats to their safety in today’s increasingly polarized political climate,” said Sen. Cornyn. “We must act to ensure Justices and their families are protected from those who wish to cause them harm by extending Supreme Court police security to family members.”

“Millions of Americans who tuned into Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson’s confirmation hearing couldn’t miss seeing her husband and daughter on national TV,” said Sen. Coons. “If the families of Supreme Court Justices have the same profile and exposure as the highest ranking officials in our government, they deserve the same level of protection. We must take threats that come from extremes on both sides of the political spectrum against Supreme Court Justices seriously, and that makes this bill an unfortunate necessity.”

I want to determine exactly how tone deaf the Dems and their supporters are without someone slipping into “fake news” that aligns with my understanding of the world.

Obviously I have little reason to disbelieve this bill exists and will be passed by the “opposition” party. I just would like to avoid potential “gotchas” and hand wringing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Anyone able to find the text of the bill itself?

I can only find this from John Cornyn:

I want to determine exactly how tone deaf the Dems and their supporters are without someone slipping into “fake news” that aligns with my understanding of the world.

Obviously I have little reason to disbelieve this bill exists and will be passed by the “opposition” party. I just would like to avoid potential “gotchas” and hand wringing.

Coons has a statement about it on his website
https://www.coons.senate.gov/news/p...es-and-families

quote:

“Millions of Americans who tuned into Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson’s confirmation hearing couldn’t miss seeing her husband and daughter on national TV,”said Senator Coons. “If the families of Supreme Court Justices have the same profile and exposure as the highest ranking officials in our government, they deserve the same level of protection. We must take threats that come from extremes on both sides of the political spectrum against Supreme Court Justices seriously, and that makes this bill an unfortunate necessity.”

“The events of the past week have intensified the focus on Supreme Court Justices’ families, who are unfortunately facing threats to their safety in today’s increasingly polarized political climate,” said Sen. Cornyn. “We must act to ensure Justices and their families are protected from those who wish to cause them harm by extending Supreme Court police security to family members.”

If enacted, the Supreme Court Police Parity Act would extend security protection to Supreme Court Justices and their families in line with what is provided to certain Article I and Article II officers and their families. Sections from an earlier draft of this bill were removed prior to introduction, citing free speech concerns.
But I can't find the text not sure when that goes up on congress.gov

Whether it has a chance of passing is based on a Fox reporter repeating an anonymous source so who knows but lol at Coons for even suggesting it

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the democrats' response to Roe v Wade being overturned being 'we must criminalize protests against it' is a HELL of a thing to hear, yes.

the argument we should vote for these people, with this action, in open opposition to their voters and ostensible goals, in mind, is taking some pretty solid hits the last few days.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Meatball posted:

Triple brainless, actually. Cracking down on protestors, protecting the people stripping their constituent's bodily autonomy, and all before the doomed vote to legalize abortion.

It really shows what their priorities are. They will protect the corrupted institutions that are destroying our bodies before they protect us.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BougieBitch posted:

I think the bigger issue is that if you are making the logical leap of fetal personhood and abortion being murder, then crossing state lines to have an abortion is "conspiracy to commit murder" or "child endangerment" or "abduction" (if the male parent objects), at which point the place the abortion happens is not the issue being contested.

A state does not have jurisdiction over acts committed in other states, no matter how bad the alleged crime is. There's been plenty of incidents where a state attempted to one-weird-trick their way around that, and the courts struck it down every time.

Sure, the Supreme Court could just overturn existing precedents and say that it's now Constitutional to do that. But I seriously doubt they're going to do that, because states trying to impose their laws on each other like that would be a loving mess. If Alito and friends wanted abortion illegal nationally, they could just outlaw it themselves.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the democrats' response to Roe v Wade being overturned being 'we must criminalize protests against it' is a HELL of a thing to hear, yes.

the argument we should vote for these people, with this action, in open opposition to their voters and ostensible goals, in mind, is taking some pretty solid hits the last few days.

It was always going to come to this. Like the logical chain of events was clear as day: you vote for lovely Dems and you're going to get lovely policies from them. Vote Blue No Matter Who was built on the premise that the Dems will definitely protect our rights when push came to shove and here we are, getting shoved and worse, and the Dems are caring more about some property damage and Kavanaugh's neighbors protesting outside his home. You got Nancy Pelosi stating that the Democrats in 09 weren't pro-choice. They couldn't pass voting rights either.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those lousy dems, trying to prevent government officials from being assassinated!

What a bunch of wimps! They should be ENCOURAGING people to assassinate government officials!

:sad:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrats have realized that enough of their base has become affluent and comfortable PMCs now, that instead of fighting Republicans on tough issues that could force red state Dems to take risky votes (hard!), they can deflect the whole issue to lecture the public about tone and beef up the police state to "protect our precious institutions which are under threat more than ever from Republicans" (easy!) and enough of their supporters will nod along to keep them in power, and with tone as a wedge they can split off and ignore the people who are trying to get them to fight for our rights.

Bishyaler posted:

I don't understand how anyone can have a scrap of faith in them if the excuse for "Obama broke a pretty important promise" is "Yeah, actually we didn't give a poo poo about women 13 years ago and were lying through our teeth about the policy positions."

It kinda feels like how every time we're supposed to uncritically believe the state department and the MIC that this is the "good" war and while yes the last time they said this we've since found out it was a bad war, they've surely changed by now and this time we're on the side of goodness and justice and human rights and surely it won't come out 10 years from now that we actually weren't and they were lying all the time (but if they were, then next time they'll be telling the truth for real and will have reformed since all the awful stuff came out about today's war)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Those lousy dems, trying to prevent government officials from being assassinated!

What a bunch of wimps! They should be ENCOURAGING people to assassinate government officials!

Sorry, could you point out which posts this is a response to? I haven't seen anyone recently encourage any assassinations, though I could have missed one or forgotten

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lemming posted:

Sorry, could you point out which posts this is a response to? I haven't seen anyone recently encourage any assassinations, though I could have missed one or forgotten
People are expressing rage at the Democrats for passing a security bill for SCOTUS, I assume their objections to that are not fiscal

It's like in the last five posts I'm not going to quote it for you

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Interesting that they didn't vote for increased security after one of the justices got no-poo poo mugged while jogging, or another got held up by machete point while on vacation but this not even passed yet leaked draft decision warrants a whole new law?

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Maybe some plucky Senator will filibuster the bill.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

People are expressing rage at the Democrats for passing a security bill for SCOTUS, I assume their objections to that are not fiscal

I think you are seriously misunderstanding the reason people are objecting and you should maybe have a think about whether there are other reasons to be appalled at what Dems are doing besides wanting judges to be assassinated, consider that you might be making someone up to get mad at here rather than seriously comprehending what you are reading and the reasons people are articulating for their opinions on the subject.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

I think you are seriously misunderstanding the reason people are objecting and you should maybe have a think about whether there are other reasons to be appalled at what they are doing besides wanting judges to be assassinated

Of course there are, there's just no reason to be mad about this. It's just part of "everything Democrats do is maximum bad" protocol and it's stupid as gently caress.

Look I get that it's really frustrating that Democrats insist you vote for them to solve problems, take it up with James fuckin' Madison or something

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So what about the National Guard/armed forces?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm still not sure why you're conflating being upset that the Democratic priority seems to be on suppressing peaceful protests of the supreme court justices who just stripped all american women of their human rights with wanting Democratic leaders to encourage people to assassinate officials.

What part of the bill is apparently necessary to prevent assassinations? What are the current protocols that are causing the justices to be in imminent danger? Which of the protests have gotten out of hand in a way that the current security forces were unable to handle it, without additional legislation? It seems like your implicit argument is this legislation is necessary to prevent assassinations, so I'd like to understand why you think that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Of course there are, there's just no reason to be mad about this.

Really? You can't think of a single reason? People have already mentioned a couple, did you fail to read them, or do you have an argument why they are wrong that you forgot to post in your haste to accuse everyone of wanting to see some protester protect women's rights in minecraft?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

Its one thing to do nothing when facing a fascist takeover, which is reprehensible in itself. Its entirely another to go out of your way to protect the fascists.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

selec posted:

“Why aren’t leftists, devoid of national leadership or organizing strategy, constantly monitored and literally hosed by undercover police, joining these hardened, ideologically-driven organizations where they will be forced to become the foot soldiers of capital?”

Dawg, you first. Spend a few years cuffing kids for truancy and busting heads just to be ready for when the Revolution comes, or be ratted out by your fellow officers, locked in a mental hospital or worse.

I'm too old.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is simply no conceivable reality where a bill providing home security for Supreme Court Justices has an actual, measurable effect on women's rights, sorry.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i miss having hope

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

There is simply no conceivable reality where a bill providing home security for Supreme Court Justices has an actual, measurable effect on women's rights, sorry.

Dude, people aren't upset because they think this bill will take away women's rights. Women's rights are already gone. People are upset because performative legislation getting passed that would be happening in response to peaceful protests of the justices is loving loony in the face of the reality that those justices just stripped half of americans of their fundamental right to privacy and bodily autonomy. It is completely loving bonkers to spend time on that fake problem when they haven't done anything about the real problem. Do you really not understand how this would piss people off?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
A hearty lol to the posters advocating joining the military to change it from within and thinking that will help/enact/speed up a revolution.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

The lives of women are worth less to the Democrats than the personal comfort of fascist theocratic liars.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Don't worry, it's impossible for the Senate to pass anything that quickly. We know this because it's constantly repeated as justification for Democrat inaction on the policy goals they loudly insist they support, so there will be many months, perhaps years, before the bill can be passed. The SC judges must simply be patient and let the process play out

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

But I am like kinda surprised lol. It actually makes me more favorable to the protests at Kav's house than I was before. I thought it was nice to see but probably meaningless, but watching the entire political class clutch their pearls over it and call for a police crackdown on folks singing in front of a judge's house is convincing me it may be more effective than I thought.

Members of Congress are distressed at the idea of protestors showing up at their homes every time they vote for what donors want instead of what voters want.

Just think how many days they'd have to pay for private security; just think of how hard it'll be for their housekeepers & the other help to enter & exit every day.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

“Millions of Americans who tuned into Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson’s confirmation hearing couldn’t miss seeing her husband and daughter on national TV,” said Sen. Coons. “If the families of Supreme Court Justices have the same profile and exposure as the highest ranking officials in our government, they deserve the same level of protection. We must take threats that come from extremes on both sides of the political spectrum against Supreme Court Justices seriously, and that makes this bill an unfortunate necessity.”

You could see this coming from a mile away after America's Darkest Day 1/6 Never Forget. :911:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

The lives of women are worth less to the Democrats than the personal comfort of fascist theocratic liars.

Much like when the system, sacred and inviolate, determined that not passing the paper bag test was punishable by being thrown in a concentration camp, everyone who might one day want an abortion is learning what the Democratic Party considers its purpose to be. When the System determines a group of people must be brutally subjugated in the hopes of alleviating the ennui of the powerful, all that slow, measured deliberation vanishes, replaced by a lockstep quick-march to accomplish their goals.

The executioners must be protected. The system must be protected. And the victims must be told to die more quietly, out of fear their screams might offend a -real- person's feelings.

Vote! Or else the boot stomping your face into the ground might have a different logo on it!

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

A Jan. 6 but Progressives being the bad guys this time would certainly bolster the “both sides” crowd - might not bode well… Perhaps that’s their line of thinking.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majin posted:

A Jan. 6 but Progressives being the bad guys this time would certainly bolster the “both sides” crowd - might not bode well… Perhaps that’s their line of thinking.
I can absolutely guarantee that if the 2024 election is stolen through state legislatures there will be a reverse 1/6. Maybe not on that particular date, but people aren't just gonna be like "okay fine."

And it will probably go pretty differently...

Like start with "arab spring" and then adjust your expectations upwards, IMO.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 9, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I can absolutely guarantee that if the 2024 election is stolen through state legislatures there will be a reverse 1/6.

what, one that the police actually try to stop as opposed to support

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majin posted:

Nah, it's just a "high road" performative bill introduced by a Republican that some Democrats signed onto because it is an easy PR thing and they think having Republicans sign onto a bill like this will make them behave better.

All the bill does is give the families of justices 24/7 protection, authorize overtime for court security, and make in a specific crime to physically block justices from going into the court instead of it being a generic "unlawful detainment" or "public nuisance" charge.

It doesn't really do anything for the Justices' safety and didn't intend to because it was a performative thing John Cornyn threw together less than 24 hours after someone threw a molotov cocktail at a pro life group's office.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 9, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

I can absolutely guarantee that if the 2024 election is stolen through state legislatures there will be a reverse 1/6. Maybe not on that particular date, but people aren't just gonna be like "okay fine."

And it will probably go pretty differently...

Like start with "arab spring" and then adjust your expectations upwards, IMO.

There is simply no conceivable reality where this happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

There is simply no conceivable reality where this happens
You don't believe there would be massive, potentially violent protests if Republicans straight up stole a presidential election? Why not?

Things are very different from how they were in "Gush vs. Bore" 2000, and the manner of theft would be very different as well.