Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Personally I wouldn't batch paint more than five to ten individual minis at a time, about roughly a squad's worth. This has less to do with the actual work and more to do with the psychological effect having a pile of unpainted minis in front of you can have. If you're trying to do 20-30 minis in one sitting, eventually you'll go "oh god I'm never gonna get this done, what was I thinking" and not do any of them. Five to ten is a far more manageable chunk and once they're done, it'll spur you on to do more. In terms of drying time, that also allows for you to do the assembly line approach, with the first one being dry by the time you've finished doing some work on the fifth (or tenth).

YMMV, of course, but that's how I approach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I want to try and strip one or two of the units I’ve already painted to see if it’ll work well getting off the black primer on some of the units I’ve done and other colors so I can reprime it and use speed paint with it. I can just buy any standard rubbing alcohol at CVS or a pharmacy and just soak the figure in it for a half hour and then just scrape it off with an old toothbrush, right?

I am happy to know now that you use speed paints for basing and large areas, but you can still use acrylics on top of them, just thin with speed paint medium and not water. I have to say though, that despite the hiccups I’ve had early on (using a blue that I thought was an ultramarine color and it turned out to not be lol), I am in love with this stuff and it is a total game changer.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Acrylic paint takes maybe ten minutes tops to dry if you're really loading it down with thinner. The number of models you can have going at a time is limited by your patience and work space, not your paint.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I can just buy any standard rubbing alcohol at CVS or a pharmacy and just soak the figure in it for a half hour and then just scrape it off with an old toothbrush, right?

Standard rubbing alcohol is fine on plastic, I find the higher % the faster it comes off. I use 91% usually. Just don't soak it for too long (I let mine soak for 20-30 mins, do a brush pass, repeat as necessary) or it could degrade the plastic. Also avoid using very hot water, tends to melt and bend the plastic in my unfortunate experience. You can save even more time using a cheap electric toothbrush!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

I painted a face.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SpaceViking posted:

I painted a face.

He doesn’t seem too thrilled about his situation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SpaceViking posted:

I painted a face.

I think that model goes on a 40mm base.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Lumpy posted:

I think that model goes on a 40mm base.

Ferrus Manus's head goes on a 40, a normal marine head is a 32.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
After using my airbrush a few times over the last week I am really glad one of my more experienced friends told me having a holder or something to sit the brush in is an essential item, strongly recommend. Also don't be dumb like me and disassemble your entire airbrush because you failed to properly tighten one of the nuts so the needle doesn't engage, it literally only needed half a turn to be tight enough. It was an hour poorly spent...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hoboskins posted:

After using my airbrush a few times over the last week I am really glad one of my more experienced friends told me having a holder or something to sit the brush in is an essential item, strongly recommend. Also don't be dumb like me and disassemble your entire airbrush because you failed to properly tighten one of the nuts so the needle doesn't engage, it literally only needed half a turn to be tight enough. It was an hour poorly spent...

Nodding sagely, "Grasshopper, this is the way of the airbrush"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that 3d printed man seems upset

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hoboskins posted:

Also don't be dumb like me and disassemble your entire airbrush because you failed to properly tighten one of the nuts so the needle doesn't engage, it literally only needed half a turn to be tight enough. It was an hour poorly spent...

Counterpoint: disassembling your airbrush when you don't need to is a great way to make sure you can reassemble it when you do need to.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If it's a Badger it has like 6 parts anyway and it takes you like 2 minutes max.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
to be fair a lot of that hour was cleaning and me googling to figure out what I had done.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hoboskins posted:

to be fair a lot of that hour was cleaning and me googling to figure out what I had done.

an hour spent getting to know your equipment is never an hour wasted

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I am new to painting in general, and going through brushes left and right. They always end up fraying after about a unit or two of models. I avoid leaving them fibers down in the cup, and getting paint gunked up in the collar, but are there other common mistakes I may be making? Is this the expected lifespan of a brush?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished another company of tiny robits.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bored Online posted:

I am new to painting in general, and going through brushes left and right. They always end up fraying after about a unit or two of models. I avoid leaving them fibers down in the cup, and getting paint gunked up in the collar, but are there other common mistakes I may be making? Is this the expected lifespan of a brush?

Do you rinse them out and lay them flat if you're not going to be putting paint on anything within the next 30 seconds?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Eej posted:

Do you rinse them out and lay them flat if you're not going to be putting paint on anything within the next 30 seconds?

I swirl them in my water cup and rub the fibers against the edge of the glass until I see the paint leave the brush. The biggest offender seems to be dark colors like abaddon black. It will dry in chips on the fibers. Maybe I leave the brush dirty between layers for too long, but I try to always be working on a model. I’ll try cleaning the brushes more even when on the same coat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rinse then dab on a paper towel, a lot of paint is sneaky and stays in the bristles unless you pull the water out. Heck just have paper towel on hand at all times it's great for dabbing excess water after cleaning and then picking up paint without introducing too much water to the paint in the brush or dabbing excess paint off the tip so you don't immediately put a huge blob on your model when you first touch it.

You shouldn't be seeing flakes of paint at all when painting. If you're not using a wet palette then it might be the paint drying on your palette (solution: get a wet palette).

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Has anyone tried any of the colour forge sprays? They’re certainly a bit cheaper than the citadel ones and I was wondering if by any chance someone had a side by side comparison of their Wight Bone vs Wraith bone.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Eej posted:

If it's a Badger it has like 6 parts anyway and it takes you like 2 minutes max.

I have a badger I haven't touched in six months because I disassembled it and can't figure out why it won't work! I'll post it tomorrow.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Bored Online posted:

if you aren't you should be using brush cleaner as well when you finish painting not only will it help clean the brushes most good brush cleaners will extend the lifespan of your brush and help it retain shape. A single jar of Masters brush cleaner will last pretty much forever.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is wild, and I want to see this replicated on some Imperial Fists.

https://twitter.com/StuffPhil/status/1523926972224651265?s=20&t=X58kuWwyl9ODZV2gaLuh1w

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

As always, Marco has you covered

https://youtu.be/OYfvNz3h0Ko

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bucnasti posted:

I wouldn't recommend airbrushing to someone just starting in the hobby, the up front cost as well as the space and learning curve is a lot of commitment when you're just starting out.
That said, even if 100% brush painting is your thing, having a basic airbrush is still super useful for priming and basecoating, and has a very good saving time vs saving money trade off.

A decent beginner airbrush and compressor combo costs as much as like 5 series 7s, and will last longer :v:

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-compressor-combo-kit-57637.html

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bored Online posted:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/silicoil-brush-cleaning-tank

get yourself one of these, they're super common in artist stores if you can find one local to you. This price is actually cheaper than what I paid for mine

stroke the brushes back and forth, and when you're done, use this:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-preserver/

to clean it. Do not use paint thinner, it will destroy the glue in the ferrule that holds the fibers in place.

Try also to keep some paint brushes for metalics (never kolinsky for metalics, only synthetics) only, as those ones will degrade the brush that much faster, because the silica will find its way up into the ferrule no matter how good you try to do it.

Make sure paint does not reach the ferrule, if you're scooping paint out of a paint pot, then you run the risk of making that easier to happen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Eej posted:

As always, Marco has you covered

https://youtu.be/OYfvNz3h0Ko

Marco does amazing work but it makes me sad that so many "How To" videos end up using like half dozen different brands of paints, oils and inks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Marco does amazing work but it makes me sad that so many "How To" videos end up using like half dozen different brands of paints, oils and inks.

I try to use videos as a place to steal general concepts and not one-to-one recipes I replicate. Like vincy v put out a video on skin and right after getting the initial layers down I thought "that looks way too dark he's probably going to brighten everything up, but idk if he's going to glaze" then he brought out an airbrush to do exactly that. But the other video I saw that taught that technique did it with glazing because it was on a smaller model.

But yeah it's so annoying when videos spend 90% of the time with an airbrush.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Started working on the Green Army from Great Wall this week as the second part of the Oath I made for the month:

I absolutely love the Orc Skin speedpaint. Gives a really nice bass green. After I finish speed painting all four armies this month I may go back over them with some layering on top of speedpaints shown in the videos posted above. Those are some really nice effects.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I think there's a strange stigma associated with airbrushes being too expensive, meanwhile people drop hundreds on plastic kits that sit unpainted in a corner.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

Paints are just paints, you can use whatever you have on hand. Watching Marco's videos he's gone from regular Vallejo stuff to Molotow then Pro-Acryl and now Liquitex Acrylic Gouache just for Acrylics over the past year. The airbrush is probably the most important part of his workflow just because it quickly allows you to zenithal a value layer that underpins everything he does. The biggest barrier is just loading up on oils but hey he only spends like 2 minutes on airbrushing the models nowadays.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aranan posted:

I think there's a strange stigma associated with airbrushes being too expensive, meanwhile people drop hundreds on plastic kits that sit unpainted in a corner.

i'm just lazy about putting together a setup for an airbrush and doing maintenance on one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Aranan posted:

if my minis required thorough cleaning every time i used them, lest they fall apart, i probably wouldn't buy them either

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

peer posted:

if my minis required thorough cleaning every time i used them, lest they fall apart, i probably wouldn't buy them either

I feel this way about brushes

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It might be different for fancier airbrushes but my Patriot really doesn't take much more time to clean than properly cleaning my brushes. The time investment is certainly offset by orders of magnitude when you consider how much faster basecoating is, and being able to do neat stuff like zenithal highlighting is just a cherry on top.

I literally can't imagine going back to painting vehicles with a brush at this point, or trying to do blends on large flat areas.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I find cleaning the airbrush way easier than maintaining brushes. Plus you have to store brushes correctly, keep paint out of the ferrule, you need all kinds of different brushes for different tasks, etc etc. I use brushes for edge highlighting and fine detail work but I prefer the airbrush for nearly everything else.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, I have a cheapo no-name airbrush and compressor set that I use just for priming and base coating and I will never go back to rattle-cans for the rest of my life.

Anyway, it doesn't need much maintenance but I do clean it as much as I can between uses. It's super simple to disassemble, has most of the same components of more costly airbrushes and if I ever upgrade the airbrush itself I'll have the experience of cleaning the cheap one. So I don't think I'll be very intimidated by the expensive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just buy cheap brushes off wish.com, use 'em til they dont hold a point any more, then buy more. I have brush soap but I basically never remember to use it.

I reckon I'd maybe look into an airbrush if I was painting an army with a lot of vehicles but... I enjoy painting with a brush. This is a hobby to me. If I bought an airbrush I'd have to deal with finding space for it and a booth/extractor, learning to paint with it basically from scratch, and the advantage would be I'd spend less time painting with a brush, a thing I enjoy doing and trying to improve at. I tried out one of those airbrushes with a battery operated compressor last year just to dip my toe in and see if I enjoyed it and honestly I'm faster doing my zenithals with rattlecans.

A lot of people love their airbrush, and good for them! But it isnt for me, or at least not at the moment. Maybe one day when I'm totally happy with my brush skills, or if I decide to take up painting a lot of tanks or whatever.