Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

tbf a malthusian would try to nuke the peripheries, not the cores. nuking the core is more of a mao-y kinda program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Itt is the final line visible. All posts here are acceptable, but only just. To end up posting itt gives away you are on a posting journey, and soon you will be feeling the cool shadows of Styx.

Wet bulb
Multiple breadbasket collapse
Blue ocean event
The C-gun

Magic glyphs whispered backwards from the darker to the lighter.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lampsacus posted:

Itt is the final line visible. All posts here are acceptable, but only just. To end up posting itt gives away you are on a posting journey, and soon you will be feeling the cool shadows of Styx.

Wet bulb
Multiple breadbasket collapse
Blue ocean event
The C-gun

Magic glyphs whispered backwards from the darker to the lighter.

Add to that the solar flare thing. Remember in 2012 when a flare missed us by like, 9 days of Earth orbit time, utterly infinitesimal even on a local solar scale? The kind of flare that would have absolutely decimated a shitload of electronics? Like, just normal ones too, not even the hyper-sensitive poo poo.

Well, it's likely in a few years we're getting another one, and that one, if it hit us, would surely be a tipping point as resource scarcity ramps up.

And we STILL have to discuss it in how many dollars it will cost us.

Lmao till the end and dance macabre, I love you all.

https://wired.me/science/sun-solar-storm-2025-impact-on-earth/

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Justin Credible posted:

Add to that the solar flare thing. Remember in 2012 when a flare missed us by like, 9 days of Earth orbit time, utterly infinitesimal even on a local solar scale? The kind of flare that would have absolutely decimated a shitload of electronics? Like, just normal ones too, not even the hyper-sensitive poo poo.

Well, it's likely in a few years we're getting another one, and that one, if it hit us, would surely be a tipping point as resource scarcity ramps up.

one of these things hitting us now would probably end up being the luckiest thing that ever happened to us.

the sooner capitalism collapses the better for the future of the biosphere and humans, so instantaneous global EMP taking out all the gizmos overnight would almost be proof that jesus loves us.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

emTme3 posted:

one of these things hitting us now would probably end up being the luckiest thing that ever happened to us.

the sooner capitalism collapses the better for the future of the biosphere and humans, so instantaneous global EMP taking out all the gizmos overnight would almost be proof that jesus loves us.

GPS, communications sats.. some mild solar ejection caused a bunch of Elon's sats to drop out of the sky, because it increased the density of the uppermost atmosphere, causing enough drag to pull them out of orbit. A big one would wipe. poo poo. Out.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo-UTkdTvbw

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Justin Credible posted:

But of course, no money will be spent in getting some spare transformers and other parts before it's beyond too late.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

skooma512 posted:

But of course, no money will be spent in getting some spare transformers and other parts before it's beyond too late.

The rate of profit will be much higher when they are desperately needed in the middle of a massive disaster. Spending all that money ahead of time to prevent profit-generating disasters? Paying warehouse storage fees? You're bad at Capitalism.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

emTme3 posted:

they're space-travel capable, so will also be fine (if racist)

so long and thanks for all the fish!
[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Credible posted:

I actually watched this as live as you could but also know a little about it.

Those solar events are comprised of the flares themselves, the energetic reactions on the sun's surface and then the coronal mass ejections of energized particles being thrown off of the sun

So the flares (rank C -> M -> X(number)) can hit us and mess with electronics but it would have to be a bullseye sniper shot pointed directly at us of an X10+ when it happens to gently caress with electronics on a wide scale, but the following mass of particles released by these flares are huge and do not move as fast as the radiation of the flares. We had a lot of warning that that 2012 CME was coming after a strong X class flare fired off into space in our general direction and we knew we were going to orbit into the accompanying blast of solar material.

When it hit we had aurora in the upper united states and a relatively active geomagnetic storm but it did miss us by a huge amount and we only went through a trailing edge of one part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVS4Q4VgDxk

NOAA had a different real-time magnetosphere model at the time so you could watch our magnetosphere get punched straight in the face. A lot of the talk of the "near miss" is that it was considered a solar "superstorm" with on the ground effects like the expanded aurora and it was still the barest glance of a medium-bad flares coronal mass ejection.

2012 was around the end of the most recent solar maximum where the sun has a shitload of sunspots that generate the flares and CMEs then goes into a period of relative dormancy, a minimum, where there aren't really any sunspots to potentially explode at us. Last solar maximum we drifted across several gigantic ones that just went away without erupting or blew up when we were on the far side of the sun. The "Big One" in July was a single sunspot erupting.

The thinking is this might be an unusually active solar maximum and we may be at risk of being hit full on by an actually bad coronal mass ejection.

The issue is Flares and CMEs effects can be seen on different scales
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

So while the universe's most perfect flare could theoretically cause radio blackouts or a movie style EMP at apocalyptic scales a relatively common coronal mass ejection hit right would actually energize metal and cause all traces of modern civilization to burst into flames

So I guess we can be team Sun for the next solar maximum

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 00:52 on May 10, 2022

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

So while the universe's most perfect flare could theoretically cause radio blackouts or a movie style EMP at apocalyptic scales a relatively common coronal mass ejection hit right would actually energize metal and cause all traces of modern civilization to burst into flames
:vince:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wait, does my rapsheet qualify me for a ban for saying I hope that a global geomagnetic storm destroys all technology? That'd be worse for white people than nukes

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

For all these new posters and lurkers in this thread, I have a bit of a 3 part intro question:

1. What are your thoughts about the future of climate change?

2. What are your thoughts on the survival of our civilization if we choose to continue our climate path?

3. What’s your favorite beetle or shrimp?

I wouldn't say I'm a lurker, but I don't post in this thread too often, so . . .

We're hosed, and there's no realistic way of going back. How hosed you are depends a bit on where you live, even to the point where your day-to-day seems pretty normal. Take all the talk in the past couple of pages about how cool it’s been in the Pacific Northwest. I also live there, and also have a garden. I'm also seeing unusually slow growth, and I haven't seen *any* bees yet. Between the two, I know something is wrong. But to the average person, it just seems like a cool spring. They'll worry about climate change during fire season, or when they see a scary news report, but after that, it's back to "normal". Maybe this is the new normal around here. I can't imagine it's sustainable in the long term, but it'll probably be manageable for decades.

In other areas, things are going to get noticably worse, and quickly. I assumed I'd see parts of India and Pakistan become uninhabitable in my lifetime, but I always assumed that would be in 20 or 30 years. These days, I wonder if it will be in 2 or 3. Or hell, maybe this summer, looks like things are already off to a bad start. The areas that can afford it will just rely more heavily on AC, with all the environmental side effects that entails. Poor areas will see a lot of dead people. First world countries won't care until the environmental refugees are white, but then, it will be too late.

Both of these scenarios tie into something that's got me even more worried than temperature, and that's food. Situations like in India are obviously bad; it's too hot, there's not enough water, crop yields will be terrible. But even a one-off freak cold snap in April can be enough to damage your crops. And the unusually cool PNW? Crops may or may not be damaged, but it's certainly going to take longer to get them to market. Combine that with the war in Ukraine disrupting a meaningful amount of the world's corn and grain supply (as well as fertilizer), as well as lockdowns in China screwing with their growing season, and you're going to have a whole lot of hungry, desperate people this year. I expect that to snowball into something untenable, and then you're going to start to see governments collapse. First world countries won't care until the collapsing countries are white, but then, it will be too late.

So yeah, climate change will directly lead to societal collapse by way of food shortages. Probably not everywhere, and not all at once, but I don't see any other way this can end.

As for my favorite critter, can I go with the Opabinia? It's a primitive arthropod, so it's distantly related to shrimp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 02:58 on May 10, 2022

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

So I guess we can be team Sun for the next solar maximum

Thanks for this, as with most things I only knew the broad strokes of it.

Solar ejection for Emperor of Earth 2025.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wait, does my rapsheet qualify me for a ban for saying I hope that a global geomagnetic storm destroys all technology? That'd be worse for white people than nukes

How dare you control the solar forces of the galaxy.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Hubbert posted:

Current drama-induced thread immigration – whereby unmanageably endless hordes of posters pour over the border in numbers far too large to assimilate, and who consequently have no need, motivation or ability to assimilate – renders impossible the preservation of any biosphere collapse thread identity.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
bugs bunny mid-air over the seneca cliff thinking he got away from elmer fudd

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Justin Credible posted:

Literally the only hope is that this is a simulation and we are actually humans in the future under a system that doesn't grind to paste the souls and bodies of 90% of the world's population, and that part of living in that society is going through the collapse, so that we don't repeat the mistakes of our unimaginably selfish, short sighted, God-huffing, number-obsessed forbearers.

this is a nice vision - who says this thread is all doom and gloom?

:unsmith:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lordshmee posted:

And this is extremely judgmental but also lol who cares - it would explain the weird effect of many people not actually seeming like people when you talk to them/look at how they behave. But that could also just be brain poisoning through ideology or toxic chemicals or both.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nah that's just the staggering gulfs between otherwise very similar people (neighbours, families, peers) which capitalism and ideology create

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lordshmee posted:

the people that dont read it

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us.

My bad, thought I was replying to a different thread. Didn't mean to post here.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol just here to rile people up eh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol just here to rile people up eh

legit didn't mean to, I definitely did not want to stir up anything

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Azathoth posted:

My bad, thought I was replying to a different thread. Didn't mean to post here.

yes ur very funny. the glen thread will love it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Karach posted:

are we this thin-skinned?

*we* aren't, it's the hatereading power squad

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

. u 2, jerk

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

If it's cool to treat this thread as Biosphere Collapse and Nature Appreciation Station, I saw an earthworm take a massive dump while working in the garden and I thought that was pretty neat.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Wisest Moron posted:

If it's cool to treat this thread as Biosphere Collapse and Nature Appreciation Station, I saw an earthworm take a massive dump while working in the garden and I thought that was pretty neat.

that has always been the dual purpose, and your post has me wondering if I'd even recognize what I was looking at if I saw a worm pooping

to youtube, I guess

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bob Socko posted:

I assumed I'd see parts of India and Pakistan become uninhabitable in my lifetime, but I always assumed that would be in 20 or 30 years. These days, I wonder if it will be in 2 or 3. Or hell, maybe this summer, looks like things are already off to a bad start. The areas that can afford it will just rely more heavily on AC, with all the environmental side effects that entails. Poor areas will see a lot of dead people. First world countries won't care until the environmental refugees are white, but then, it will be too late.
good news about people having money to survive the heatwave, the electric grid is already melted down and load-shedding to the point that there's no power for the 9 daylight hours outside a few 'lucky' (highly affluent) neighborhoods. Even the moderately well-off who could afford to pay for air conditioning are hosed.

sneak preview of the upcoming texas heatwave where thousands of people die when worthless residential load is shed to make sure the bitcoin farms keep running.

e: i think it's going to be a(nother) rude awakening for a lot of people who were under the mistaken impression they were the haves. the big texas freeze last year(?) had a lot of people saying "why was our power cut off!?!? we're white wealthy!" meanwhile empty commercial office buildings kept the lights on the whole time.

and absolutely nothing will be learned, everyone not directly impacted by it will lol and or lmao at those people who clearly deserved it for [living in a red state/not driving an electric car/having the wrong political alignment/being poor] and refusing to take even a moment to introspect that it will happen to them and the same type of smug shitlord they are will look down on them for it.

Harik has issued a correction as of 03:16 on May 10, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Wisest Moron posted:

the circle of life

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
idgaf about nature i just like watching icebergs implode.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

tiberion02 posted:

Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse] The Assassination of Good Poster Rime by the Coward Mod Azathoth

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
nuke thwaites

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thwhill thwaiteon

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Justin Credible posted:

Literally the only hope is that this is a simulation and we are actually humans in the future under a system that doesn't grind to paste the souls and bodies of 90% of the world's population, and that part of living in that society is going through the collapse, so that we don't repeat the mistakes of our unimaginably selfish, short sighted, God-huffing, number-obsessed forbearers.

I mean if this is a simulation then it's probably some psychotic attempt to make a prison or something because otherwise why the gently caress don't I have superpowers or something cool like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Irony.or.Death posted:

that has always been the dual purpose, and your post has me wondering if I'd even recognize what I was looking at if I saw a worm pooping

to youtube, I guess

I would've gotten a video if I could have but it was over with so quickly. This is pretty close to what I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2hJJe_V-s but a bit longer. Like brown toothpaste out of a tube.