Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PeterCat posted:

So the only real difference between you and the 1/6 guys are the issues you feel are important.

Since you think that intimidation is the least the court should be met with, what do you think is the most it should be met with?

Yes, that is totally what I said in my post. Congrats on conflating people’s rights being taken away and people being upset with it with people who wanted to murder a bunch of members of Congress and the Vice President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Supreme Court could literally be staffed with actual infants Quinten Trembly style, there's no laws against it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

LionArcher posted:

Yes, that is totally what I said in my post. Congrats on conflating people’s rights being taken away and people being upset with it with people who wanted to murder a bunch of members of Congress and the Vice President.

You said intimidation was the least the court should face, what do you think is the most they should face?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PeterCat posted:

I'm probably risking a probe here, but we have a president who has a charge of rape against him that is as credible as the charge against Kavanaugh.

Does that make Biden illegitimate?

From

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx#:~:text=The%20Constitution%20does%20not%20specify,been%20trained%20in%20the%20law.

Kava wasn’t legitimate for lying under oath, and having over a million dollars of debt mysteriously paid off. The rapist part should have mattered but of course doesn’t. Him perjuring himself technically does. Of course it technically doesn’t under this one weird trick (nobody in power cares.)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

LionArcher posted:

Kava wasn’t legitimate for lying under oath, and having over a million dollars of debt mysteriously paid off. The rapist part should have mattered but of course doesn’t. Him perjuring himself technically does. Of course it technically doesn’t under this one weird trick (nobody in power cares.)

But you didn't mention perjury as the reason Kavanaugh was illegitimate, you stated he was a rapist because it's more inflammatory.

And if he committed perjury, let him be impeached if the Congress can prove it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PeterCat posted:

But you didn't mention perjury as the reason Kavanaugh was illegitimate, you stated he was a rapist because it's more inflammatory.

Holy poo poo, it’s worse in here than I remember. Like drat. All three of them perjured themselves. He also is a rapist. That among other reasons is why they’re illegitimate.

“The Congress” doesn’t give a poo poo. It feels like you’re trying to do like three different lovely bits, or get me to say something to get myself probed. All of which is lame as gently caress. To what end? Are you pro Congress banning protests? Do you think the Supreme Court did a good thing with roe v wade? Are you an anti choice person?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
On the topic of moderation, PeterCat has inexplicably been un-threadbanned, and still transparently only posts in bad faith, doesn't respond to counterarguments, and then just dips once someone laboriously goes through the process of being really annoyingly pedantic to them over the course of a tedious amount of posts. It's extremely funny to pretend that the current method of moderation is working on the same pages this is happening

Edit: to be clear, I think the moderation is generally between fine and pretty good, and I think it's gotten better recently, but letting the blatantly obvious troll poo poo everywhere after they were previously banned from the place for making GBS threads everywhere is kind of an unforced error

Lemming fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 10, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The tech giants have chosen their side!

https://twitter.com/theexiledduck/status/1523787099459457025?s=21&t=4fkgcHOg6mX7u8L6M2bhBQ

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

We'll look for the house next to the house with no numbers.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PeterCat posted:

So the only real difference between you and the 1/6 guys are the issues you feel are important.

Since you think that intimidation is the least the court should be met with, what do you think is the most it should be met with?

The only difference between anyone is the issues they're willing to commit violence over, or at least countenance, rofl. Unless you're a diehard pacifist...

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

According to the tweets anyone can request their house be blurred on google maps.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LionArcher posted:

Holy poo poo, it’s worse in here than I remember. Like drat. All three of them perjured themselves. He also is a rapist. That among other reasons is why they’re illegitimate.

“The Congress” doesn’t give a poo poo. It feels like you’re trying to do like three different lovely bits, or get me to say something to get myself probed. All of which is lame as gently caress. To what end? Are you pro Congress banning protests? Do you think the Supreme Court did a good thing with roe v wade? Are you an anti choice person?

Honestly, I think the discussion would be better if you weren't just assuming what you said was true, and trying to out-mad everyone else about what's going on. There's not a lot of interesting discussion to be had about how hoppin' mad you should be that this bad thing happened.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Normy posted:

According to the tweets anyone can request their house be blurred on google maps.

Yeah I've come across this a lot when house hunting.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Trump racking up another 12 million votes that no one expected over his 2016 total suggests that the MAGA vote was not actually capped at 2016 numbers despite what everyone thought.

The new MAGA vote was not an untapped pool of strongly anti-choice non-voters. If you care a lot about abortion, you have been voting reliably.

Trump is an openly, virulent, mask off, no dog whistle racist. He energized voters who never had an obvious and blatantly racist presidential candidate to vote for before. They didn't care all that much about abortion, and neither did Trump. His only real appeal to the anti-choice crowd during the general election was to smugly and mockingly inform the religious anti-choice crowd who were repulsed by him that they had no choice now but to vote for him.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 10, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

PeterCat posted:

Yeah this is a wild post. The people of Jan 6th wanted Trump to stay president, whereas many people here advocating for action beyond electoralism are concerned about justice & equality, human rights, the turbo-hosed climate. Hell I wish we had more people willing to go get beaten, arrested, and shot, alongside of course the popular support to make it effective.

porfiria posted:

The only difference between anyone is the issues they're willing to commit violence over, or at least countenance, rofl. Unless you're a diehard pacifist...

Yeah this. Ultimately most people believe they are right and their actions are justified. Being "just as bad as them" is a self-defeating idea and really exists aside from what you believe and why you're doing it.

Being right isn't worth poo poo. You have to be right, and be stronger than the forces set against you.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

porfiria posted:

I mean even then. The difference between a diehard pacifist and other people is that the former believes there is no issue worth committing violence over.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird to be told that the massive pro-choice backlash is going to sweep Democrats into office in November, but anytime anyone starts to backlash there the Dems are scolding them to be more polite (and sending DHS to beat them up)

I wonder how afraid the democrats are of another 2020 mass protest scenario and if that might be leading to trying to proactively tamp down on protesting. The democrats have repeatedly bemoaned the property and messaging damage caused by people out fighting for justice and the rights of minorities, despite fundraising like leeches and being propelled into office off their energy. But it might have upset the best voter base of all, conservatives, so democrats immediately turned on them.

2020 saw an energized national democratic base that turned out and narrowly gave Biden the win over a surprisingly still popular Trump, but 2021 then saw democrats at all levels of government poo poo on the protests and hand giant sacks of money to the cops. This 'wedge issue messaging' rake that the democrats keep laying out, carefully lining up, then doing acrobatic pirouettes on as the handle hits their face really feel like attempts to get out ahead of the feistier protesters and distance themselves from any damage to flowerbeds and donut shops the very rude people upset about some dumb bullshit like bodily autonomy might cause.

Its going to be really interesting to see if protests actually catch on nationwide to the same degree the George Floyd justice movement did, or if organizers are too tired, incarcerated, or just feeling too betrayed by democrats to get anything going outside of media circus events. I'm kinda thinking it won't because things aren't already on fire. I think we'll see a few sputtering protests here and there, maybe a big corporate sponsored pussy hat redux merch march, and then nothing. People are tired of nothing changing. Plus inflation has been insane, we're about to hit a recession, and COVID is about to remind everyone that it never ended even though Biden is now claiming ending COVID spending programs as a triumph of deficit reduction.

So yeah, I think whatever energy we see over the next few weeks in terms of direct action protests is going to correlate with what happens at the ballot box in November. And I think the democrats pro-actively curtailing the reach of those protests and signaling they are on the side of the courts doesn't bode well for groundswell enthusiasm.

Rigel posted:

The Republican party does not have a problem getting their religious anti-choice voters to vote. Increased enthusiasm doesn't matter much for the side that already votes reliably. The Dem voter apathy problem and the struggle to get people on the left to vote is extremely well-known and documented. The GOP is outnumbered, when Democrats vote they win.

Hey, I don't know how to tell you this, but in the Senate land votes, not people, and the GOP covers more land.

Discendo Vox posted:

The bill is the messaging wedge. The coverage, in advance, to and through fox via an anonymous source, focusing on the prospect of objections, is how the wedge is driven. This is not complicated.

The thing I love about this is that it acknowledged the democrats are aware of the trap, know how the trap works, and will still stick their nuts in the trap anyways, but its somehow our fault for looking at it wrong. Maybe the democrats could suck at messaging less?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, I think the discussion would be better if you weren't just assuming what you said was true, and trying to out-mad everyone else about what's going on. There's not a lot of interesting discussion to be had about how hoppin' mad you should be that this bad thing happened.

I feel like the question of 'when is violence an appropriate solution to having rights stripped away?' is incredibly relevant, personally. How hoppin' mad you should be that this bad thing happened is going to be a defining question over the next few years as incredibly bad things happen with increasing regularity but nobody in charge feels any obligation to do anything because there are no consequences for doing nothing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The gently caress?

Cops Bust Into 16-Year-Old Trans Girl’s Bedroom During Her Twitch Stream

Wynn, who is now in foster care, told Motherboard that police entered her room, searched it, took the door off the hinges, and mocked her.

quote:

Police officers entered the bedroom of a 16-year-old trans girl in Tennessee while she played Minecraft live on Twitch in late April—and the confrontation was caught live on stream.

The streamer, a girl named Wynn who goes by VioWynn on Twitch, in an email to Motherboard said she was pressured to do online school rather than attend in person, and that she has refused to go to the online school and thus has been considered “truant.”

EDIT

LINK

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88gyev/cops-trans-girl-twitch-stream

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 10, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Rigel posted:

The new MAGA vote was not an untapped pool of strongly anti-choice non-voters. If you care a lot about abortion, you have been voting reliably.

Trump is an openly, virulent, mask off, no dog whistle racist. He energized voters who never had an obvious and blatantly racist presidential candidate to vote for before. They didn't care all that much about abortion, and neither did Trump. His only real appeal to the anti-choice crowd during the general election was to smugly and mockingly inform the religious anti-choice crowd who were repulsed by him that they had no choice now but to vote for him.

This was also true about Brexit but I don't know if Trump voters were as explicitly targeted (though that may have changed in 2020).

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah this is a wild post. The people of Jan 6th wanted Trump to stay president, whereas many people here advocating for action beyond electoralism are concerned about justice & equality, human rights, the turbo-hosed climate. Hell I wish we had more people willing to go get beaten, arrested, and shot, alongside of course the popular support to make it effective.

Yeah this. Ultimately most people believe they are right and their actions are justified. Being "just as bad as them" is a self-defeating idea and really exists aside from what you believe and why you're doing it.

Being right isn't worth poo poo. You have to be right, and be stronger than the forces set against you.

I don't understand why people keep saying it has to be violent. Protesting judges with the intent to alter their judicial decisions is a federal crime (lol) but bird-dogging politicians is good and is a small consequence in the grand scheme of things for them yet even that has become intolerable to them.

Local organizing and coordination to do stuff like figure out daycare or how everyone is going to get fed or their bills paid during a strike is important, too. Organizing for that stuff does not need to be coordinated nationally. It also doesn't require political help, and lol that there would be any. It doesn't even require unions, though they'd help.

If this was done and there was a national-level strike for one of several professions (like teachers or nurses but also others), just one, it would bring the country to it's knees without actually having to go all in on a general strike, which is way harder to accomplish. Even a regional-level strike would be a serious threat to the powers that be in a lot of places.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 10, 2022

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

The gently caress?

Cops Bust Into 16-Year-Old Trans Girl’s Bedroom During Her Twitch Stream

Wynn, who is now in foster care, told Motherboard that police entered her room, searched it, took the door off the hinges, and mocked her.

Vice Article for people who want more.

I originally had some snark, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Have a pirate cat instead.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

selec posted:

Like what is this lady talking about? This is who we expect to fight for us? Just useless!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1523812812434329602?s=21&t=snJgsaIH65jgKvepz90nrQ

Why should anyone believe the Democrats will risk anything to fight for abortion rights when this is the second most powerful party elected official?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Yeah if a government official were criminal or corrupt surely the US congress would have impeached them by now pffffttthahaha sorry I couldn't do it.

Anyways very interesting seeing someone with a Tara Reade "believe women" avatar arguing that rape is not disqualifying and that if someone isn't impeached for something they must be innocent. And that bringing it up is "inflammatory"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 10, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:decorum:

https://twitter.com/CollinsWatch/status/1523833638684696577?s=20&t=Vp8r0RzP0Z_wh63EWmP6LQ

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Untruths? drat, that's double-plus ungood

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

Even if true why are we assuming voters who are energized by racism and misogyny and owning the libs not to be enthusiastic over a victory that does all three?

Look I hope you're right anyway it would be hilarious if the Republicans got owned after they finally got what they wanted after all these years (assuming Democrats used that windfall to actually do something to protect women instead of protecting anti-choice judges and banning protest), but the evidence for your assertions that there's no way for the republican vote to go up from here is lacking.

I heard the same thing after 2016: Republicans always vote 100% he can't get more votes and whoops he got 12 million now and you're scrambling to "ah well nevertheless" this but a lot of Americans still didn't vote in 2020 there are more votes out there and the political brain trusts obviously don't know what motivates them because they were blindsided by republican turnout 3 elections in a row

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Rigel posted:

Getting exactly what they want is going to embolden them to go after more of what they want and will get more people who dropped out of voting to vote for them.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Getting exactly what they want is going to embolden them to go after more of what they want and will get more people who dropped out of voting to vote for them.

You need to think like a democrat here, massive demoralizing defeats are what stir people to go to the polls. Delivering victories only makes the base indolent and complacent. This wisdom has served the democrats well these last few decades. To win, one must devastatingly lose.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just an FYI, I bugged my Verizon customer support line about their new internet plan announcement yesterday and they agreed to lower my bill from $39.99 to $30.00.

If you have Verizon (and probably some of the other companies that made announcements that they were opting in to the program yesterday), it might be worth bugging them about it.

If you have Fios and pay more than $39.99 or get less than 300/300 mbps up and down, then you can definitely get them to at least match $39.99 for 300 mbps since they offer that standard now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

If nothing else we know that gay marriage is next on the chopping block using the same rationale they're using to get rid of abortion rights. Even if we wanna assume that 100% of anti-choice people out there are already voting republican, there are definitely people out there that don't care about that but are angry that LGBT people exist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

The thing I love about this is that it acknowledged the democrats are aware of the trap, know how the trap works, and will still stick their nuts in the trap anyways, but its somehow our fault for looking at it wrong. Maybe the democrats could suck at messaging less?
I don't even think it's a trap, they clearly just want to crack down on protests and putting out messaging that protesters are violent and threatening to supreme court justices' children is part of a campaign to slander and discredit protesters to the public

What I do think is funny is the dastardly Fox News trap of...reporting on bills in congress and insider tips correctly predicting what will happen in the vote. Telling us what congress is doing is sinister somehow.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 10, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just an FYI, I bugged my Verizon customer support line about their new internet plan announcement yesterday and they agreed to lower my bill from $39.99 to $30.00.

If you have Verizon (and probably some of the other companies that made announcements that they were opting in to the program yesterday), it might be worth bugging them about it.

If you have Fios and pay more than $39.99 or get less than 300/300 mbps up and down, then you can definitely get them to at least match $39.99 for 300 mbps since they offer that standard now.

That's great to know, thanks for the headsup. I'll have to pester them later and see.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I don't even think it's a trap, they clearly just want to crack down on protests and putting out messaging that protests violent and threatening to supreme court justices' children is part of a campaign to slander and discredit protesters to the public

What I do think is funny is the dastardly Fox News trap of...reporting on bills in congress and insider tips correctly predicting what will happen in the vote. Telling us what congress is doing is sinister somehow.

Yes, it's certainly not falling into a trap. After briefly accepting the Women's March, probably because it was heavily populated by first-time normies, Democratic strategists at some point decided that the best way to go is to poo poo on all protest and go all-in on the apolitical sect that demands as little public disturbance as possible. At least with the civil rights marches of 2020 and 1/6 their opposition aligned with their stated goals, but now they've had to choose between one or the other, and I guess they're going with opposition to protest over promotion of ideals. They're trying to reign in polarization at all costs, despite all evidence that it's not working and only making things worse.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm just not seeing the same energy the George Floyd protests brought yet and I'm having difficulty imagining another Cool Zone summer when the political party in charge of fixing the situation is already trying to throw a wet blanket on direct action.

That strikes me as real bad for anyone hoping for a black swan flood of newly mobilized voters to turn things around.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tnega posted:

Vice Article for people who want more.

I originally had some snark, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Have a pirate cat instead.

poo poo my bad, thanks. I meant to post the link. Fixed

To make for up for it, here's a link of motherfuckers flying nazi flags in front of the entrance to Disney World. Imagine taking your 7 year old kid to the magic kingdom and seeing this poo poo

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wdxm/disney-neo-nazis-anti-grooming-protests

Swastikas Fly at Disney as Neo-Nazis Appear to Join Anti-Grooming Protests

quote:

There was some initial confusion when a group of men arrived holding swastika flags and wearing gas masks, Nazi Germany-style military uniforms, and skull masks (which are increasingly associated with hardcore accelerationist neo-Nazis). At first, according to livestreams, it seemed as though the MAGA crowd thought the neo-Nazis were there to protest them. “The Nazis even came down here to fuckin’ stop us,” one man bellowed through a megaphone. But as they made their way through the MAGA crowd, toward the Disney World resort sign, they could be heard explaining that they were “all on the same side.”

“Everything’s gonna be peaceful, right guys?” the man with the megaphone asked one of the neo-Nazis.

“That’s right,” one of them replied.

“You have just as much right to be out here as us,” megaphone man said. “So as long as everything’s cool, man, you’re alright.” Then he gave them a thumbs-up.

Great loving country we got going for us here.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm just not seeing the same energy the George Floyd protests brought yet and I'm having difficulty imagining another Cool Zone summer when the political party in charge of fixing the situation is already trying to throw a wet blanket on direct action.

That strikes me as real bad for anyone hoping for a black swan flood of newly mobilized voters to turn things around.
Also because of the "wedges" or whatever galaxy brain poo poo the consultants are cooking up, they're coming down hard against protests (just Vote!). That would have a strong synergistic effect on turnout, but apparently its more important to avoid offending some "independent" suburbanites.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nix Panicus posted:

in fairness the decision is not 100% official yet

when it does become official, if protests don't pick up a whole lot at that point then yeah that is extremely not great

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

poo poo my bad, thanks. I meant to post the link. Fixed

To make for up for it, here's a link of motherfuckers flying nazi flags in front of the entrance to Disney World. Imagine taking your 7 year old kid to the magic kingdom and seeing this poo poo

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wdxm/disney-neo-nazis-anti-grooming-protests

Swastikas Fly at Disney as Neo-Nazis Appear to Join Anti-Grooming Protests

Great loving country we got going for us here.

They can’t stand seeing rainbow flags or trans flags but they don’t seem to mind the nazi flags

selec
Sep 6, 2003

PeterCat posted:

I’m gonna say it: 1/6 wasn’t bad because of what was done, but for the reasons it was done. This is why the day was generally hilarious to leftists, and horrifying to liberals.

I remember watching it and laughing with friends via text, so finding out people were literally in tears over it was baffling until I remembered what is treasured by liberals, and then laughed a bit more.

1/6 is serious, and those people should be prosecuted, but only because they are my ideological enemies, and know that it sets no meaningful precedent for how leftists doing the same would be treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the funniest thing about 1/6 remains the wind down, as the people who had accomplished the dream of any actual movement, breaking into the capital at a moment of political ambiguity, started just kind of wandering around aimlessly, expecting a victory screen to drop from the heavens.

real baudrillard simulacrum hours, the spectacle not only replacing the real thing but wholly subsuming it in the minds of the people actually trying to do it. amazing farce.