Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the funniest thing about 1/6 remains the wind down, as the people who had accomplished the dream of any actual movement, breaking into the capital at a moment of political ambiguity, started just kind of wandering around aimlessly, expecting a victory screen to drop from the heavens.

real baudrillard simulacrum hours, the spectacle not only replacing the real thing but wholly subsuming it in the minds of the people actually trying to do it. amazing farce.

It was pretty great in that sense; credit to leftists they wouldn’t go in there without some kind of plan, but watching right wingers construct brut versions of things leftists have known for years, having the sudden realization that cops are not necessarily on their side, that they are in the same cage all the rest of the working class is, it’s pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

It was pretty great in that sense; credit to leftists they wouldn’t go in there without some kind of plan

This is true; if there's one thing you guys do it's plan.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

This is true; if there's one thing you guys do it's plan.

Tell me you’ve never seen anti-kettling in action without telling me!

Also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_Commission_to_Investigate_the_FBI

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

PeterCat posted:

So the only real difference between you and the 1/6 guys are the issues you feel are important.

Since you think that intimidation is the least the court should be met with, what do you think is the most it should be met with?

The only real difference between the 1/6 guys and the founders of this country were the issues they felt were important as well. This is kind-of the conflict in America, that it decries not just the causes but the means of stuff like January 6th or the Civil War, but it itself was a country founded on sedition and secession. (And if the Founding Father's causes were examined, they wouldn't be significantly more noble than Jefferson Davis or the Q Shaman, just ask the Indigenous Americans who were about to be turbo-colonized by an America no longer held back by any treaties Britain made with them). The "tree of liberty must be refreshed by the blood of patriots" line came from Thomas Jefferson about the Shays Rebellion whose motives weren't any more noble than the Tea Party's. That rebellion was put down where the American rebellion had not. What constitutes an acceptable rebellion then?

This is the thing, that if America is a country that doesn't establish things through revolt, what is it then, because that was the apparatus of its creation. I don't believe in violence as the main means of revolt, but the idea it's not American is flatly ahistorical. The original Americans wouldn't have just protested out of Kavanaugh's house - they would've tarred and feathered him.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

The only real difference between the 1/6 guys and the founders of this country were the issues they felt were important as well. This is kind-of the conflict in America, that it decries not just the causes but the means of stuff like January 6th or the Civil War, but it itself was a country founded on sedition and secession. (And if the Founding Father's causes were examined, they wouldn't be significantly more noble than Jefferson Davis or the Q Shaman, just ask the Indigenous Americans who were about to be turbo-colonized by an America no longer held back by any treaties Britain made with them). The "tree of liberty must be refreshed by the blood of patriots" line came from Thomas Jefferson about the Shays Rebellion whose motives weren't any more noble than the Tea Party's. That rebellion was put down where the American rebellion had not. What constitutes an acceptable rebellion then?

This is the thing, that if America is a country that doesn't establish things through revolt, what is it then, because that was the apparatus of its creation. I don't believe in violence as the main means of revolt, but the idea it's not American is flatly ahistorical. The original Americans wouldn't have just protested out of Kavanaugh's house - they would've tarred and feathered him.

They would’ve also emptied the house and taken away what they wanted, and either torched the house or literally just taken it apart beam by beam.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

Turns out companies that have a monopoly on infrastructure is not good.

I remember when a town became it's own ISP and paid for their own infrastructure because they decided fast internet should not only be a utility, but a government-provided service.

The ISPs didn't like that and lobbied to have stopped.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/n-c-residents-still-fight-195327884.html

They were setting up municipal freenets as early as the 1980s.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

a.lo posted:

They can’t stand seeing rainbow flags or trans flags but they don’t seem to mind the nazi flags

"Oh no those evil Nazis are here to support the pedophiles no doubt...wait hang on looks like we're on the same side as the Nazis they're all right!"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah, the thing that makes 1/6 hilarious is that the people involved, down to the last man, were sure that once they busted in to the capital that was it, the world had to give them what they wanted, because that's how they dimly understand politics to work.

the founding fathers, for all their faults, were not stupid enough to see physically controlling the capital as a magic endgame- it's an asset that you then find a way to leverage towards accomplishing your goals. but in the modern age, you had both conservatives and liberals looking at a self-proclaimed shaman standing at a podium without asking nicely and thinking 'my god, is this the end of democracy' with eager glee and abject despair, respectively.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Looks like the editors at two Philly newspapers did a freaky Friday on their endorsement day. Or maybe they just pulled names out of hats.

The oldest black newspaper in PA declined to endorse Malcolm Kenyatta and instead endorsed the guy who tackled a black jogger and held him at gunpoint.

https://twitter.com/MrErnestOwens/status/1524004244977860608

quote:

Among Democrats, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb and State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta are the frontrunners.

In the Democratic primary, we endorse Fetterman for U.S. Senate.

On the issues, the Democratic candidates aren’t that far apart, but Fetterman has demonstrated through his campaign that he is the candidate with the broadest appeal across the state and is the best candidate to represent the Democratic Party’s agenda.

His background as the former mayor of Braddock, a small industrial town in Allegheny County with a large percentage of African Americans in Allegheny County, helps bring a diversity of experience that allows him to connect with residents from small rural communities to Philadelphia, the state’s largest city.

His primary and general election in 2018 as lieutenant governor demonstrates his ability to attract votes statewide, as opposed to a more restricted district. Lamb and Kenyatta have not demonstrated that ability to appeal and win votes statewide. Fetterman can reach all factions of the Democratic Party, whereas Lamb’s appeal is to moderates and Kenyatta is toward the more progressive wing.

It is important to point out that our endorsement of Fetterman is not without concerns.

Fetterman exercised poor judgment in a January 2013 incident, when he pointed a shotgun at an unarmed Black jogger, Christopher Miyares, who he mistook for a suspect in a shooting. Fetterman said he made a “split second” decision in the interest of public safety. Miyares said Fetterman should not be defined by the act and hoped he would win the Senate race. Fetterman should simply admit he made a mistake instead of trying to justify his actions.

We are also endorsing Fetterman for his strong advocacy.

During his time in office as lieutenant governor, Fetterman has been a fierce defender of the election process that saw Democrat Joe Biden carry Pennsylvania over Trump in the 2020 presidential race.

Last week, Fetterman joined other Democrats in urging Congress to pass the Women’s Health Protection Act to codify the protections in Roe v. Wade into law.

In addition to expressing support for the codification of Roe V. Wade into federal law, Fetterman has been strong supporter of criminal justice reform; environmental issues, although he supports permitting fracking; raising the state’s minimum wage to $15 per hour; and expanding affordable health care.

While Lamb and Kenyatta have run good campaigns, we believe that Fetterman is the best Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate.

Meanwhile, the state's newspaper with the most left-wing editorial board, who endorsed Fetterman in 2016 and 2018, has endorsed Conor Lamb because... they think he can win a statewide race.

Also, they endorsed Fetterman in 2018 and then he... won a statewide race. Lamb has not actually won a statewide race yet.

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1523680582009450497

quote:

Even though the Democrats are technically in control of the 50-50 Senate, Biden has been unable to get the necessary votes on either of the bills that form the pillars of his agenda — specifically, Build Back Better and voting rights.

For that to change in the next two years, Democrats need their incumbents to hold on to their seats and pick up new ones. It’s hard to see a way for them to expand their majority, or even just hold control of the chamber, without winning the seat that Pat Toomey is leaving open in Pennsylvania.

On the ballot in the Democratic primary are Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb, State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta, and Jenkintown Borough Councilor Alexandria Khalil.

Any of the candidates would be a reliable tie-breaking vote for the Biden administration. They all support Build Back Better, expanding voting rights, and the Women’s Health Protection Act, which would codify the right to an abortion in federal law. Most important, they all support abolishing the filibuster — which is very likely the only way any of the biggest parts of Biden’s agenda can win passage.

In lieu of substantive differences on the major votes , voters are left guessing who is the most “electable” and could actually win statewide. That is not going to be easy. A reminder: Biden’s margin over Donald Trump in 2020 was only 80,555 votes and Republicans performed well in other races that year.

Pennsylvanians deserve a senator who is more than just a plus-one vote for the Democratic caucus in the Senate; it’s crucial that voters elect a candidate who would add value by representing the commonwealth. Based on his history of winning extremely competitive general elections, his familiarity with Congress from his time in the House of Representatives, and his thoughtfulness on tough policy questions, we endorse Conor Lamb.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 10, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

but in the modern age, you had both conservatives and liberals looking at a self-proclaimed shaman standing at a podium without asking nicely and thinking 'my god, is this the end of democracy' with eager glee and abject despair, respectively.

I think most people assumed something was going to happen after that

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

This gets lost in the whole discussion and I feel like this can't be emphasized enough. I don't think the argument that nothing will fundamentally change (which obviously isn't even true anyway), because abortion was already legal in some states and de-facto illegal in others is going to matter to people in the slightest. People's perception/feelings tend to motivate them more than technical reality. Abortion is a big deal in the public consciousness, it's one of the issues that represents social progress and it's been legal for 50 years. You really can't underestimate the broad psychological impact of having something like that suddenly snatched away. It feels very much like being transported back to the dark ages.

This is a seriously untenable situation.

I seriously wonder how many of the people saying this isn't a big deal know literally any women at all. Comfortable, surburban women who've already had kids, lesbian couples, teenagers, every goddamn woman I know who hasn't drank the Catholic Kool-Aid sees this as a five-alarm fire and wants to know what to do. College kids are sharing how to sign up to vote by mail. And this is in deep blue Illinois where abortion rights are ostensibly 'safe.' Nobody feels safe. They all know this is the warning shot across the bow and deep, DEEP poo poo is coming if Republicans hold office again.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oracle posted:

I seriously wonder how many of the people saying this isn't a big deal know literally any women at all. Comfortable, surburban women who've already had kids, lesbian couples, teenagers, every goddamn woman I know who hasn't drank the Catholic Kool-Aid sees this as a five-alarm fire and wants to know what to do. College kids are sharing how to sign up to vote by mail. And this is in deep blue Illinois where abortion rights are ostensibly 'safe.' Nobody feels safe. They all know this is the warning shot across the bow and deep, DEEP poo poo is coming if Republicans hold office again.

Thank Cthulu the Democrats are sending their best and brightest to do something about the fire.

I got a call from a recruiter at a company that services Democratic Party Aligned nonprofits specifically, the day after the memo dropped.

The Democrats are doing something, but it ain't in the service of protecting women.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1523926913806336000

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nonsense posted:

I’m glad Pelosi clarified after farting out wanting a strong Republican Party in the past. I am unsure how much of the Republican Party ever was how she remembers them.

George Bush, Sr. was known as 'Rubbers George' when he served in the U.S. House for his advocating for family planning, namely condom use. He was a NorthEast rock-ribbed Rockefeller Republican.

Pre-Reagan, they absolutely did exist. The Great Realignment after Johnson and the Civil Rights movement changed that and Bush Sr. was probably the last gasp. You'll remember James Jeffords switching from Republican to indepdent in 2001 and cacuasing with Dems which flipped control of the Senate. There's still a few left here and there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Thank Cthulu the Democrats are sending their best and brightest to do something about the fire.

I got a call from a recruiter at a company that services Democratic Party Aligned nonprofits specifically, the day after the memo dropped.

The Democrats are doing something, but it ain't in the service of protecting women.

Hey now, be fair, the Stooges took a very strong stance against rising fascism at a time where it was quite risky to do so. I've given this some thought before (I'm not JUST a Godzilla superfan) and I maintain that the biggest commonality between the two groups is that you shouldn't hire them to install any plumbing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I'm happy that Jane's Addiction was able to get help.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm happy that Jane's Revenge exists. Everyone should join

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like the editors at two Philly newspapers did a freaky Friday on their endorsement day. Or maybe they just pulled names out of hats.

The oldest black newspaper in PA declined to endorse Malcolm Kenyatta and instead endorsed the guy who tackled a black jogger and held him at gunpoint.

According to the article, they interviewed the jogger, and he's also voting for Fetterman.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xombie posted:

According to the article, they interviewed the jogger, and he's also voting for Fetterman.

Yeah, that's not new, though. The jogger famously ended up going to prison for an actual crime later and was interviewed in 2019 where he said he would vote for Fetterman if he could.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Xombie posted:

It's one of the rare cases where I actually believe Fetterman that it wasn't race since he claimed he saw the guy from behind and couldn't see his skin and the news interviews of the guy that day he's wearing a full body outfit that includes covering his head for cold weather running. The story everyone involved in that day tells makes it plausible. Pulling a gun out and chasing someone down is still insane though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yeah, that's not new, though. The jogger famously ended up going to prison for an actual crime later and was interviewed in 2019 where he said he would vote for Fetterman if he could.

It's weird how you framed it as an expectation that it would cause the black paper to not endorse him, given this. I'm not surprised by this or that the "most left" institution veered centrist.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Harold Fjord posted:

It's weird how you framed it as an expectation that it would cause the black paper to not endorse him, given this. I'm not surprised by this or that the "most left institution" veered centrist.

it's weird that you interpreted it that way.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

I can't find any reference to Fetterman tackling the jogger, where is this detail coming from?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harold Fjord posted:

It's weird how you frame it as an expectation that it would cause the black paper to not endorse him, given this

The paper spends a third of their endorsement talking about that incident and how bad his judgement was. They also have historically been big fans of Malcom Kenyatta and promoted the idea of him running for Senate and being PA's first black Senator.

It is kind of weird that the newspaper who urged a guy to run to be the first black Senator from PA would then choose not to endorse the guy they asked to run and a little ironic that the guy they picked over him had this incident and they had to spend 1/3 of the endorsement justifying why they were still endorsing him.

Also weird when combined with the left-wing newspaper that endorsed Fetterman twice before suddenly endorsing Conor Lamb for the bizarre reason that he "can win a statewide" election, when Fetterman is the only one running in the primary who actually has won a statewide race.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 10, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it's weird that you interpreted it that way.

Not really.

But with this added information in the post above, it's a lot more clear. Thanks LT.

I think it likely that they weighed Kenyatta's probability of winning as too low even if they were glad he ran, so they did a "which of these two more likely candidate is the lesser evil", probably.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 10, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

I can't find any reference to Fetterman tackling the jogger, where is this detail coming from?

That was me being loose with language. He apparently "pursued him" in his truck, "subdued" him, and held him at gun point until the police arrived. Subdued does not necessarily mean tackle, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oracle posted:

George Bush, Sr. was known as 'Rubbers George' when he served in the U.S. House for his advocating for family planning, namely condom use. He was a NorthEast rock-ribbed Rockefeller Republican.

Pre-Reagan, they absolutely did exist. The Great Realignment after Johnson and the Civil Rights movement changed that and Bush Sr. was probably the last gasp. You'll remember James Jeffords switching from Republican to indepdent in 2001 and cacuasing with Dems which flipped control of the Senate. There's still a few left here and there.
Also Bush Sr supporting the bipartisan ban on CFCs and regulations on sulfur emissions when the ozone hole and acid rain were the big things, the last time a Republican president and a decent chunk of Republican legislators gave any kind of poo poo about the environment at all.

Well not entirely true there's a video from the 90s of Pelosi and Gingrich saying hey we don't agree on much but we agree we need to stop climate change and regulate carbon emissions, he may have been lying then but he and the rest of the party wouldn't even say that today.

She still sucks though and is an idiot for fantasizing about a long-gone past GOP that was still lovely anyway instead of dealing with reality as it is, but I guess that's what we get when with out-of-touch declining geriatrics clinging to power. Every single interview with her is so what the gently caress, she can't answer a single direct question and just rambles on with some half-remembered talking points and irrelevant stories about the time Jim Jeffords and Tip O'Neil flashed her a smile and said "nice legislating kid" or some poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's one of the rare cases where I actually believe Fetterman that it wasn't race since he claimed he saw the guy from behind and couldn't see his skin and the news interviews of the guy that day he's wearing a full body outfit that includes covering his head for cold weather running. The story everyone involved in that day tells makes it plausible. Pulling a gun out and chasing someone down is still insane though.

Especially if you are 6’8.

Unless the jogger was a top end blackbelt in BJJ, there was no way Fetterman wouldn’t have overpowered him.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Oracle posted:

a lot of stuff happened during those decades that changed the political landscape and led directly or indirectly to polarization we see today- the rise of the religious right, corporate and foreign lobbying began to scale up to a point never before imagined, ditto with astroturfing political "movements" and the death of the Fairness Doctrine to name a few.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm just not seeing the same energy the George Floyd protests brought yet and I'm having difficulty imagining another Cool Zone summer when the political party in charge of fixing the situation is already trying to throw a wet blanket on direct action.

That strikes me as real bad for anyone hoping for a black swan flood of newly mobilized voters to turn things around.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

in fairness the decision is not 100% official yet

when it does become official, if protests don't pick up a whole lot at that point then yeah that is extremely not great
Yeah, it's still early days, there's still time to see how things play out since the decision hasn't come out yet. But if pro-choice people decide not to organize or not to vote because the Dems passed a security bill for the justices then it probably wasn't that important to them. The bigger concern is that most people aren't political junkies who follow the day-to-day coming out of DC and mid-terms are notorious for low voter turn out and engagement.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Here's a thread from a Florida teen that is a plaintiff in the don't say gay suit

https://twitter.com/zandermoricz/status/1523800052837195776

It really does feel like we're reigniting the culture wars of the 90s and aughts.

Oracle posted:

When that Republican; Youngkin narrowly won the governor's race in Virginia earlier this year, there was a focus group with a bunch of Democratic voters who voted for him. They scoffed at the idea that Youngkin was as bad as Trump because he seemed like such a reasonable, nice guy. And that's the pattern. The same thing happened with Trump, and before him with Bush. It's like clockwork, every time people get lazy and start believing the nice guy Republican facade all you have to do is wait a while and Republicans remind you exactly who they are.

https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1523145616250966017

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 10, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

It's weird how you framed it as an expectation that it would cause the black paper to not endorse him, given this. I'm not surprised by this or that the "most left" institution veered centrist.

Also I'm pretty sure that the jogger supports his candidacy, almost like the pearl-clutching from the same people who voted for Joe "I miss having lunch with my segregationist pals" Biden is super inconsistent or something. But all in good faith no doubt

Fake edit: yep there it is

The Braddock man John Fetterman confronted with a shotgun in 2013 says that should not stymie his Senate bid

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The paper spends a third of their endorsement talking about that incident and how bad his judgement was. They also have historically been big fans of Malcom Kenyatta and promoted the idea of him running for Senate and being PA's first black Senator.

They only spent one paragraph mentioning the jogger. Where are you getting "a third"?

quote:

It is kind of weird that the newspaper who urged a guy to run to be the first black Senator from PA would then choose not to endorse the guy they asked to run and a little ironic that the guy they picked over him had this incident and they had to spend 1/3 of the endorsement justifying why they were still endorsing him.

Kenyatta is barely holding onto 5% in polling, and even Lamb's second place is a far behind what Fetterman is polling at. It's not surprising at all that they don't bother endorsing him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bob Casey's boy flips on abortion.

That leaves only two pro-life Democrats holding national elected office: Senator Joe Manchin III and Representative Henry Cuellar.

Bill is still dead, though. Both the "pro-choice" Republicans oppose it for being "too extreme" and Manchin likely to vote against.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1524050790842830848
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1524050864343814145

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

That leaves only two pro-life Democrats holding national elected office: Senator Joe Manchin III and Representative Henry Cuellar.

Bill is still dead, though. Both the "pro-choice" Republicans oppose it for being "too extreme" and Manchin likely to vote against.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1524050790842830848
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1524050864343814145

Why does this matter at all if the filibuster is left in place? Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

Why does this matter at all if the filibuster is left in place? Horseshoes and hand grenades.

It doesn't matter for this specific bill if the filibuster is still intact. But, this would also die even if the filibuster was abolished because the two "pro-choice" GOP Senators said they would vote against it because it is "too extreme" and "polarizing" and Manchin is likely to vote no.

Just a big shift for Casey who has spent a long time describing himself as "pro-life," but also saying he wouldn't support banning all abortion.

And the obvious context of:

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/1524050156454305793

Plus, through being completely destroyed in all of their rural swing seats and abortion becoming more firmly part of the party orthodoxy, the conversion of Casey means the Democrats only have 1 pro-life member in each chamber. Which makes the GOP more pro-choice than the Dems are pro-life for the first time in a very long time.

Pretty big swing from 2009 where about 20% of the caucus was some variant of pro-life or not willing to call themselves pro-choice.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oracle posted:

Many of us have been pointing out for three decades how the gasoline of Casey was leading to this five-alarm fire & making abortion virtually impossible to obtain in red states, only to see Democrats joining the right in banning "partial-birth" abortions, deciding that they had higher priorities than codifying bodily autonomy, and--to this very day!--continuing to campaign for anti-choice Dems.

It's kind of jarring to see people getting verklempt now while Congress was playing their fiddle for the last 30 years.

eta:

"Only two," lolol forever.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Many of us have been pointing out for three decades how the gasoline of Casey was leading to this five-alarm fire & making abortion virtually impossible to obtain in red states, only to see Democrats joining the right in banning "partial-birth" abortions, deciding that they had higher priorities than codifying bodily autonomy, and--to this very day!--continuing to campaign for anti-choice Dems.

It's kind of jarring to see people getting verklempt now while Congress was playing their fiddle for the last 30 years.

jarring in a good way?

I'm not going to lie, I don't see the outrage in my community. I live in a conservative part of Colorado, and only my wife and direct family are even discussing it. it is kind of disheartening, and I doubt there will be a huge backlash at this point. What's funny is that many conservatives seem averse to discussing it as well, I am not seeing many victory laps being made.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 10, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

jarring in a good way?

I'm not going to lie, I don't see the outrage in my community. I live in a red part of Colorado, and only my wife and direct family are even discussing it. it is kind of disheartening, and I doubt there will be a huge backlash at this point.

Jarring in that all of a sudden people are shouting DO SOMETHING when some of us have been screaming about it for 30 years while watching it happen incrementally.

And of course there won't be a huge backlash; we don't even know what the final ruling will be, and especially if it ends up as something Casey-ish like "no abortions after 15 weeks" people will go back to worrying about meeting their basic needs like food & housing, which a good chunk of voters are already prioritizing over choice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

eta:

"Only two," lolol forever.

Most people don't pay attention except for a few weeks every four years. Nebulous future risks are just plain not on most people's radar; its part of the human condition and why climate change has been so hard to fight.

I mean, what do you want, a cookie? Here, here's your cookie and your pat on the head. You and those screaming for decades were right, Willa. Bask in the glow of your victory.

Now what are you going to do about it after you're done 'I told you so!'ing?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Oracle posted:

Most people don't pay attention except for a few weeks every four years. Nebulous future risks are just plain not on most people's radar; its part of the human condition and why climate change has been so hard to fight.

I mean, what do you want, a cookie? Here, here's your cookie and your pat on the head. You and those screaming for decades were right, Willa. Bask in the glow of your victory.

Now what are you going to do about it after you're done 'I told you so!'ing?

We want you to reconsider the way you process News and Politics and ask why being wrong for years only yields contempt for people who were right.

What will you do differently to be right sooner, when it might matter?

Like the minimum ask is a little humility from people who’ve spent years telling us and themselves that the Dems give a gently caress about anything but their own sinecures.