Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The repeated draft lottery changes were done to stop teams tanking and welp a bunch of teams tanked for McDavid and Phoenix are undertaking the most shameless tank job ever for Bedard next year.

Michkov is almost certainly going to be better than Wright anyway so how long until we get rules for repeated top 2 finishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1524115220196737024

oh this would be a hoot

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DJExile posted:

9.5% for both

I mean not individually but just the odds of their landing a top 2 or 3 pick overall, unless if it somehow functions the same but I'm assuming it doesn't

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What happens if the Blackhawks get a top two pick? The prick presumably rolls back to 2023 but did they top 1 protect it in that scenario?

If not then the Blackhawks definitely will not get a top two pick tonight because they are going to get Bedard.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

What happens if the Blackhawks get a top two pick? The prick presumably rolls back to 2023 but did they top 1 protect it in that scenario?

If not then the Blackhawks definitely will not get a top two pick tonight because they are going to get Bedard.
from Capfriendly:

quote:

*Conditions: If Chicago wins one of the the 2022 draft lotteries and the lottery win results in the pick being top 2 overall, the pick becomes their 2023 1st round pick
looks like it is unprotected in 2023 if Chicago gets a top-2 this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Chicago will definitely not be in the top two tonight then!

e: I mean the league has still not figured out how to rig a draft lottery which the NBA figured out 40 years ago, but I keep thinking sooner or later they have to get the hang of it

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

Chicago will definitely not be in the top two tonight then!

e: I mean the league has still not figured out how to rig a draft lottery which the NBA figured out 40 years ago, but I keep thinking sooner or later they have to get the hang of it

In the Sidney Crosby draft the Stars' ball that they needed to hit for any of their combinations got lodged in the fan vent prior to the draw meaning the Stars never had a chance at winning that lottery :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can't wait for Detriot to get 7.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Starsfan posted:

In the Sidney Crosby draft the Stars' ball that they needed to hit for any of their combinations got lodged in the fan vent prior to the draw meaning the Stars never had a chance at winning that lottery :(

That's funny... also funny was the Leaf's ball for the Lafrenier draw:

https://twitter.com/corwinmc/status/1292965620712198145

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E:^^^ lol, that's the one!

Starsfan posted:

Huh, didn't know this. loving brutal.

Was it McDavid when the Leafs ball banged off the run before Edmonton's got sucked up? Very funny.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Deadspin with some heat on how Ryan Johansen has been paid A Lot to do Not A Lot in their opinion:
https://deadspin.com/let-s-appreciate-all-the-money-ryan-johansen-has-stolen-1848906174

Come to Butt-head.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I would like the Habs to win the lottery so I can read 30 pages on how the NHL rigged the lottery to have the host team draft first for the show, and not because the Habs were so bad they killed Guy Lafleur.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Huh, didn't know this. loving brutal.

yeah it was reported that way because after the draft the process is they remove all the balls one by one from the machine and check them to make sure that everything was above board and they had to yank the ball that matched up with a large section of the Stars assigned numbers from the vent lol. it was the last one out...

I mean those were back in the days that the Stars were halfway decent so we weren't expected to win that one anyway.. just a funny thing that happened. Stars fans at the time were like "heh figures..." they did not know what was waiting for the franchise in the next decade :(

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 10, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want Vegas to win and move up to 4 or whatever so that everyone gets angry

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Chicago’s GM must be absolutely sweating bullets about winning the lottery and handing Columbus a Bedard ticket

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one outside the org cares, Chicago deserves everything bad that happens to it (and probably worse).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1524118971158605826

hated this dude on the Dallas Stars from the second I first saw him. we got him for 3 more years with a NMC lol thanks Nill

Maybe we should have thought longer about bringing on a guy who's previous team was willing to nuke their payroll to get rid of.. oh well

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
between him and Jamie Benn the Stars are immensely hatable.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

mennoknight posted:

between him and Jamie Benn the Stars are immensely hatable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

yeah it was reported that way because after the draft the process is they remove all the balls one by one from the machine and check them to make sure that everything was above board and they had to yank the ball that matched up with a large section of the Stars assigned numbers from the vent lol. it was the last one out...

I mean those were back in the days that the Stars were halfway decent so we weren't expected to win that one anyway.. just a funny thing that happened. Stars fans at the time were like "heh figures..." they did not know what was waiting for the franchise in the next decade :(

The 2005 draft lottery didn't use combinations. It was 48 individually numbered balls. They drew them in sequence until every team had a draft position. No balls were stuck in the machine that would almost certainly have required a redo because all teams were given a weighted shot at any draft position and I'm pretty sure the Stars would've objected if their odds had been artificially decreased. Dallas just got unlucky and their only ball in the lottery came out 28th.

quote:

Forty-eight balls, numbered one through 48, were placed in a lottery machine. Three ball numbers were randomly assigned to each the Penguins, Sabres, Blue Jackets and Rangers; two ball numbers were assigned to the 10 clubs with a 4.2% chance; and one ball number was assigned to the 16 clubs with a 2.1% chance. The first ball expelled determined the winner of the first overall draft pick and it had been assigned to the Penguins.

After the first overall selection was awarded, another ball was expelled to determine which club, from among the 29 remaining, received the second overall pick. This process was continued until each of the 30 first-round draft positions was assigned.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 10, 2022

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
got one

heehee fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 10, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

hated this dude on the Dallas Stars from the second I first saw him. we got him for 3 more years with a NMC lol thanks Nill

Maybe we should have thought longer about bringing on a guy who's previous team was willing to nuke their payroll to get rid of.. oh well

This doesn't really surprise me at all. Suter is never happy about anything.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The 2005 draft lottery didn't use combinations. It was 48 individually numbered balls. They drew them in sequence until every team had a draft position. No balls were stuck in the machine that would almost certainly have required a redo because all teams were given a weighted shot at any draft position and I'm pretty sure the Stars would've objected if their odds had been artificially decreased. Dallas just got unlucky and their only ball in the lottery came out 28th.

hmm maybe I'm getting the crosby draft mixed up with something else then? I thought I remember it involving ranges of numbers they had to check against the balls that came out of the machine and they drew a bunch of balls in sequence to determine who won

and yeah the unlucky ball didn't belong solely to the Stars, it eliminated a bunch of combination of numbers that corresponded to a number of teams. Don't know if that rings a bell for anyone..

**It was the Connor McDavid draft lottery lol.. The Oilers won with a combination of 5-14-6-1... I swear it was reported that one of the balls got stuck and that it lined up with most of the Stars combinations but I can't find anything on it now.. maybe I'm on crack

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 10, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tom Fitzgerald sitting in some dimly lit basement?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
why is ron francis in a starbucks for the draft lottery lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

All of these draft spots are hilarious

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

Gotta get that good WiFi

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I ANT WON JACK A LOT FROM THE SQUATTERY. THLE LOTTERY SHOULD BE CALLED THE JACKSQUATTERY CAUSE I AYNT JACK SQUATTING A LOT Y

...oh, wait, there's more...

THEY SHOULD RENAME THE LOTTERY TO THE JACKSQUATTERY BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I EVER WIN IN IT.

Five exclamation points.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Chicago’s GM must be absolutely sweating bullets about winning the lottery and handing Columbus a Bedard ticket

The NHL rigging the lottery so that Chicago gets #1 or 2 this year and, thus, loses their shot at Connor Bedard would be completely on brand.

...and I am here for it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'm not afraid to say I am cheering for Seattle or New Jersey. They are the teams with the coolest fanbases that have a good chance to win and deserve a good break.

**after that train wreck of an expansion draft I feel like Seattle fans have earned a quarter centuries worth of karma all at once lol..

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 10, 2022

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
wake me up when this poo poo actually starts

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Who the gently caress cares why it's earlier this year, just do it.

e- I like the Space Ghost Coast to Coast-style lowering of the monitors.

e2- Vancouver's GM looks drunk.

e3- C'mooooooooooooon Blackhawks.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 10, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Congrats, DAS :siren:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol flyers

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao lottery loving dominance

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

Because they're business partners here. Which means you can't buy good coffee at Kraken games or their rinks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You know, writing Goose's son into the Top Gun sequel and having him fly in a wing with Maverick is lazy as gently caress writing. It's fitting for TYOOL 2022.

You know what else? I hate when they shoehorn into a break into the Draft Lottery. Breaks up the flow.

Also:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I ANT WON JACK A LOT FROM THE SQUATTERY. THLE LOTTERY SHOULD BE CALLED THE JACKSQUATTERY CAUSE I AYNT JACK SQUATTING A LOT Y

...oh, wait, there's more...

THEY SHOULD RENAME THE LOTTERY TO THE JACKSQUATTERY BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I EVER WIN IN IT.

Five exclamation points.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

T-Bone posted:

lmao lottery loving dominance

congrats! I guess.. apparently it's actually bad for a rebuilding team to win this year?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

congrats! I guess.. apparently it's actually bad for a rebuilding team to win this year?

Nobody can win two years in a row, so no Bedard for the winner.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The devils just KILL the pingpong balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

It's not at all. You can still win the lottery next year.

Unless you mean because it will make them too good to tank in which case I guess so