Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also FB is already doing terrible discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...Pretty sure it's usually the scripts that are bad, not the actors...?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Anytime someone starts a tirade with "Ok, firstly to start i am no racist"

You can be 100% certain they're a racist.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If turns out that you don't like Ncuti Gatwa's acting, just say 'I don't like his acting'. It's not hard, lmao.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm surprised to find out that there isn't intelligent and mature discourse happening on FB User Group Outpost Doctor Who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Most Doctor Who forums are motherfucked. Gallifreybase is a cess pit of atrocious moderation.

About two years ago they decided that they needed to crack down and do something about the culture. So they banned cat photos.

The chuds, on the other hand, are pretty much all that remain.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
By all accounts McCoy isn't good with technology (they weren't able to record much with him in lockdown as he struggled with remote recording), which might explain the...odd framing there.

And yeah, I don't think there's ever been a bad actor cast yet, just bad scripts. Whittaker is bursting with energy in the role, even when the scripts are aggressively fighting to make her so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ncuti was born the same day NA novel Love and War was published, making him the same age as Benny Summerfield.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Most Doctor Who forums are motherfucked. Gallifreybase is a cess pit of atrocious moderation.

About two years ago they decided that they needed to crack down and do something about the culture. So they banned cat photos.

The chuds, on the other hand, are pretty much all that remain.

Out of morbid curiosity I checked in there the day this was announced and almost everyone was making positive posts about it. The negative posts were mainly "I was hoping for another woman" and then another poster attacking the first one for that, so still Gallifrey Base, but I was surprised at the positivity.

It's possible all the chuds needed time to process/don't post before 5 PM, though. I'm not gonna go back to check.

OldMemes posted:

And yeah, I don't think there's ever been a bad actor cast yet, just bad scripts. Whittaker is bursting with energy in the role, even when the scripts are aggressively fighting to make her so.

Whittaker is energetic, delighted, and delightful. Much less grim than the other new Doctors (even Tennant, who could go from manic to brooding on a dime). She's been cheated out of being really wrathful, though. I'm guessing Gatwa is going to keep some of that "delighted to be here" energy in his performance, though on the basis of his grin he could manage Tom Baker levels of energy if he wanted to go that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Another Scott, wahey!"

God bless Sylvester McCoy :3:

Edit: Ncuti was right about being terrible at secrets, he's already released the new theme song:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1524080164971364358

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 11, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"Another Scott, wahey!"

Edit: Ncuti was right about being terrible at secrets, he's already released the new theme song:

lol, he's over the moon about this, I'm on board. Rusty will give him plenty to chew on, I'm sure

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

"Another Scott, wahey!"

There has to be a way to at least subtly integrate that into the actual theme :allears:

Speaking of, is Murray Gold returning?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of, is Murray Gold returning?

The cup of water I leave on my desk to observe if any T-Rexes stomping or Murray Golds composing are nearby hasn't shown any ripples just yet.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly I would be fine with Murray Gold returning after his rather excellent work during the Capaldi era. Way less bombastic than even his stuff during Matt Smith.

I recall Segun Akinola's stuff being pretty good but I've watched so little of Chibnall that I can't recall how it actually sounds. The opening credits, at any rate, are probably the best of the revival.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta admit I never had any issue with Murray Gold or even really noticed anything about the music other than when it was really good, I just couldn't resist a ♪ MURRAY GOLD ♪ joke :shobon:

But we all know everything old is new again, and so let's welcome Keff McCulloch back to the Doctor Who family!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
[Doctor Who forum]

Me: [chanting] keff, keff-

Other patients: keff, KEFF

Secretary: [pounding her clipboard] KEFF, KEFF, KEFF!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I believe it's already been announced that in the next series the classic Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire title theme will be replaced by Paddy Kingsland's Turlough Drives A Car Theme

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

[Doctor Who forum]

Me: [chanting] keff, keff-

Other patients: keff, KEFF

Secretary: [pounding her clipboard] KEFF, KEFF, KEFF!

And they say we Doctor Who fans can't agree on anything!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Murray Gold's reputation for being bombastic fits the subject material anyway. The revival is all about big heartfelt speeches about defeating tyranny with love and trickery, you don't exactly need the music to be subtle IMO

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just smdh if they don't go back to the Delia Derbyshire "musique concrète" style as utilized in the Hartnell and Troughton eras :colbert:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jerusalem posted:

"Another Scott, wahey!"

drat I hope that's 14's outfit!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SecretOfSteel posted:

drat I hope that's 14's outfit!

It's literally just a JoJo part five outfit, and the only reason I'd object to that is that I feel like the characters in JoJo part 5 are the least Doctor-ly of all Jojo parts.

The most Doctor-ly JoJo is Josuke in part 4, Crazy Diamond is essentially the Doctor's capabilities turned from about a two to an eight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBsFwy2VQBg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m sure it means nothing but Edgar Wright posted these two pics, and RTD liked the first one.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm a big Wright fanboy and I could see him being talked into doing an episode or two!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, it seems there’s precedent!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, it seems there’s precedent!

He also talked fondly about the show, like the soldiers showing up at the end of Shaun are an homage to UNIT, there's a musical cue in Scott Pilgrim inspired by 80s Who....
Simon Pegg also talked about writing Doctor Who but declined because "I do not have a Mark Gatiss-like understanding of it".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You could say he's a fan

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1402207355199275009?s=20&t=cmpif2bB40jY3IGE1waBsQ
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/775317274202894336?s=20&t=cmpif2bB40jY3IGE1waBsQ
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1168583365869690881?s=20&t=cmpif2bB40jY3IGE1waBsQ

also:

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1402351235068465155?s=20&t=JMWjtvgw5zmjFcQygddEsg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, an Edgar Wright directed episode would be incredible.

Goddamn I cannot wait to see his Doctor.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Yannick_B posted:

there's a musical cue in Scott Pilgrim inspired by 80s Who....

Very curious about this, any details?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Brave choice, celery, but fair play to him. Not a lot of men can carry off a decorative vegetable.

Oh man, I may have to get back into this silly show for Ncuti and RTD. As someone who got into the show during Matt Smith's first season, when I went back to watch the RTD era I alway felt like something was off. I now realize that was simply...budget. So seeing Who with a bit more money behind it and his writing is exciting, and the Doctor choice is inspired and fun.

On another note, I recently just devoured the Audible adaptation of The Sandman, and it made me realize I like audio dramas. For those who maybe have listened to Sandman, would this be a good stepping stone to get into some Big Finish stuff?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh I need to finish that, but yeah. If you've got the ear for audiomedia Big Finish stuff a good infinite well to dive into lol. They do a good job making pretty much the experience I have for most Who rewatches, which is in the background while doing other stuff. Except a little clearer since they can't ever rely on visual things to carry the episode forward and telegraph everything audibly. Basically bonus episodes of whichever doctor you want.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Very curious about this, any details?

It's early on, when Knives meets Ramona, there's a big 80s Keff McCulloch-ish musical sting, that Wright describes as a Whoish sound in the commentary.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
I would love it if they would bring back the Wirrn (or however the hell it is spelled). They were an under utilized villian.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

On another note, I recently just devoured the Audible adaptation of The Sandman, and it made me realize I like audio dramas. For those who maybe have listened to Sandman, would this be a good stepping stone to get into some Big Finish stuff?

For a moment here, I thought you were talking about the Colin Baker "The Sandman" audio, and wrote a mini treatise on my thoughts of the story and how it compared to other Big Finish audios...

Don't start with The Sandman is what I'm saying.

JohnnyQPublic posted:

I would love it if they would bring back the Wirrn (or however the hell it is spelled). They were an under utilized villian.

Speaking of Big Finish, you might want to check out Wirrn Dawn. It's a decent 8th Doctor piece with everyone's favorite weird underappreciated monster.

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 12, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6Nu7Bke20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/iamryanaplin/status/1525108824893444099

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/doinkadect/status/1516719275502977025

:hmmyes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I feel like that's less because of inherent scariness of older technology, and more because nobody's actually made more modern Cybermen scary.

For some reason anyone writing a Cyberman story that wasn't either the Tenth Planet or World Enough And Time wants to make the Cybermen into some variety of Action Robot, and it's a waste every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tomb as well