Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

We Were Here Forever is out today, the fourth game in the We Were Here series. I've played the first few puzzles and it's been solid so far. each game in the series has been substantially better than the last so I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of puzzles this one has down the line.

for those unfamiliar We Were Here is a first person puzzle series for 2 players where puzzles require a lot of voice communication and asymmetrical roles. the players are usually separated so you need to verbally describe what you can see to your partner and work out what you're supposed to do. they're extremely budget, but the puzzle design is highly varied and challenging enough to be engaging without ever getting too absurd, and there aren't many other games like them.

(from we were here 3)

I really enjoyed the earlier We were here - games with a friend, although some of the puzzles in the later ones were a bit complicated. Gotta pick that one up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How about a Peggle rogue lite?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296610/Peglin/

quote:

Peglin plays like a combination of Peggle and Slay the Spire. The enemies are tough, and if you're defeated your run is over, but you've got powerful orbs with special effects and incredible relics that influence both your enemies and the physics you'll use to defeat them.

https://youtu.be/9vNM9_H0qrA

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rakuen is $3 today.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Omi no Kami posted:

So here's something I'm having trouble with (as usual with 40k): I know Chaos Gate is good, but how good is good? Is it like a solid 7/10, grab when on sale? Or is it a legit AAA-rear end X-Com inspired tactical game that anyone who likes the genre should check out?

The first three days were frustrating as poo poo. I've never played X-Com, but did play the original Chaos Gate, so I wasn't thrilled about the changes. But, I've come around on it, so 7/10 seems about right.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Salt and Sacrifice = good

Not far in yet but it plays noticably smoother than its predecessor

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Rakuen is $3 today.

This looks great. Everhood is filling a similar niche right now, but I will have to give this a try.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Reading the Rakuen LP ending while I was getting chemo was the stupidest idea of my life, but also worth it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

victrix posted:

Salt and Sacrifice = good

Not far in yet but it plays noticably smoother than its predecessor

It plays smoother but the Monster Hunter elements they tried to incorporate kinda bring the game down, IMO

I have a bad feeling too that it has the same problem sanctuary had at launch where the 1h weapons suck and 2h weapons are the way to go. I’m already running into enemies that reduce the damage I do

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Zathril posted:

How is Dungeon Encounters? I'm considering grabbing it.

This tweet is what made me wanna grab it (the thread has some more stuff about it, so be warned about little spoilers about some encounters in the game)
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1474759155307139073

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lakbay posted:

It plays smoother but the Monster Hunter elements they tried to incorporate kinda bring the game down, IMO

I have a bad feeling too that it has the same problem sanctuary had at launch where the 1h weapons suck and 2h weapons are the way to go. I’m already running into enemies that reduce the damage I do

Yeah I've only killed a few of them, but if the entire game is just chasing mid bosses I'll be disappointed. S&S didn't have the greatest bosses in the world but it had lots of cool ones.

There do seem to be fixed non mage bosses though, so they may just be the primary prey to acquire materials for gear, which isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Have to see how it plays out, the first game is easily one of my favorite souls likes in terms of atmosphere and scale so I hope this one lives up to that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

Yeah I've only killed a few of them, but if the entire game is just chasing mid bosses I'll be disappointed. S&S didn't have the greatest bosses in the world but it had lots of cool ones.

There do seem to be fixed non mage bosses though, so they may just be the primary prey to acquire materials for gear, which isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Have to see how it plays out, the first game is easily one of my favorite souls likes in terms of atmosphere and scale so I hope this one lives up to that.

Regarding the loot you get from the "hunt" mission minibosses; do you later get more of the same type of items (fire, ice etc.)? I'm really torn on the crafting because I can only get one item from the blacksmith with the loot I got from first one and I'd really want several items from it.

Playing the same kind of character I did in original S&S: fighter with the biggest weapon I can find

Also, on the left hand corner there are two numbers: one is salt, but I haven't figured out what the other one is?

About the whole online co-op side: essentially you need to use guiltless shard (ember) to non-spellmark yourself (hollowing) and then you can use Golden candle to search for a co-op friend? How do you set yourself as ready to help someone else?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 11, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This looks fun. Never played Gato Roboto but basically only ever heard good things about it.

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1524391947032485890

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You should probably play Gato Roboto.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think I own it. I’ll add it to the “try this when my Steam Deck arrives” library.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Soundfall is releasing today. Their listed "when the volume hits 11" release date was a cute little easter egg it seems.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Scallop Eyes posted:

This tweet is what made me wanna grab it (the thread has some more stuff about it, so be warned about little spoilers about some encounters in the game)

gently caress yeah ratmen. This is what I'm saying, they're the best.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
GR is good enough (and it's really short/cheap so not a huge investment in any sense) but there's not a lot to it. I like a lot of other metroidvanias better - to name some in no order Luna Nights, Shantae HGH, Sundered, HK, Bloodstained 3D, the Messenger (only because the DLC is so good), Blasphemous, Cave Story, Rabi Ribi (does this count?).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TeaJay posted:

Regarding the loot you get from the "hunt" mission minibosses; do you later get more of the same type of items (fire, ice etc.)? I'm really torn on the crafting because I can only get one item from the blacksmith with the loot I got from first one and I'd really want several items from it.

Playing the same kind of character I did in original S&S: fighter with the biggest weapon I can find

Also, on the left hand corner there are two numbers: one is salt, but I haven't figured out what the other one is?

About the whole online co-op side: essentially you need to use guiltless shard (ember) to non-spellmark yourself (hollowing) and then you can use Golden candle to search for a co-op friend? How do you set yourself as ready to help someone else?

There’s roaming versions of mages once you beat a named one you can farm (they get kinda annoying which is one of my gripes)

The other indicator is how much silver you have

You’ll find an item called a Pale Candle if you explore more of the first area, the sunbros covenant is also in the first area

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GD_American posted:

What would be the best Final Fantasy Tactics clone to mess about with?

Fell Seal Arbiter's Mark is pretty close, though it lacks the ability to rotate the map. Arcadian Atlas is hewing really close to the style of FFT, but who knows when it'll be out.

Triangle Strategy on the switch is also really close, but it lacks the character customization of FFT. I kinda hope they just remake it soon :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Scallop Eyes posted:

One of the coolest parts of Dungeon Encounters is when you start finding abilities that let you jump up or down floors at will. At first you can only do it if there's empty space on the floors right above or below you, but eventually you can leap huge numbers of floors at once and the game becomes about diving as deep as possible and getting back out again with the loot you find. And it expects you to do that. It's a game purely about the fun of mapping out spaces and making numbers go up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
By all accounts Dungeon Encounters' worth ultimately comes down to whether or not you enjoy the real old-school roguelike style (even though it's not one in itself) of focusing entirely on its gameplay and with no hesitation in screwing you over and sending you back to the starting line no matter how close to the finish line you'd gotten, or how many hours it took you to get that far. The kinda game that executes what it does very well but is very openly designed for a niche audience, which makes it the good kind of "mixed reviews" game in that it's genuinely love it or hate it rather than just being so mediocre that it evokes no major emotions in either direction.

Some hilariously big Square names behind it too for such a niche game, directed by Hiroyuki Ito (FF6, FF9, FF12) with music by Nobuo Uematsu for example. Basically one of those weird Square games you might've expected to see in their PS1 era catalog when they were more experimental.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 11, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Omi no Kami posted:

So here's something I'm having trouble with (as usual with 40k): I know Chaos Gate is good, but how good is good? Is it like a solid 7/10, grab when on sale? Or is it a legit AAA-rear end X-Com inspired tactical game that anyone who likes the genre should check out?

It's a real legit good game. If you like 40k and xcom it's a slam dunk. I wouldn't call it AAA, the human faces on the models are pretty lol, but the rest of the graphics are passable.

You can check out the reviews for specifics but I'm 40 hours in and still anxious to leave work to go home and play it some more.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I played it near nonstop over the weekend and had a blast the entire time, it's good.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Theres roaming versions of mages once you beat a named one you can farm (they get kinda annoying which is one of my gripes)

The other indicator is how much silver you have

Youll find an item called a Pale Candle if you explore more of the first area, the sunbros covenant is also in the first area

Cheers! Any ideas where I can farm the fire guy? I want to make the level 2 greatblade from his stuff.

Currently just faffing about the first area. I beat the tier 2 water guy but the tier 3 poison guy will probably be too hard due to the green knights roaming about the cellar. I think I'll have to move on to the second story area now.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Fire mage has usually spawned directly right of where you start the named one’s hunt in the village in my game at least

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Scallop Eyes posted:

That one almost sold me but this pushed me over the edge

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

GR is good enough (and it's really short/cheap so not a huge investment in any sense) but there's not a lot to it. I like a lot of other metroidvanias better - to name some in no order Luna Nights, Shantae HGH, Sundered, HK, Bloodstained 3D, the Messenger (only because the DLC is so good), Blasphemous, Cave Story, Rabi Ribi (does this count?).

Have you played Haiku The Robot yet? I have not, but I've heard really positive things. I still need to try Rabi Ribi though, pretty sure I own it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1524021830033592323

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

goferchan posted:

That one almost sold me but this pushed me over the edge

Suck it up kid, back in my day a basilisk's gaze was permanent and your character was just a loving statue forever

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
One of the Might & Magic series of RPGs had an option where your characters could just "do odd jobs for a week" for some NPC and get some money for it, and I did that over and over and over again until I was fabulously wealthy and could buy the best gear available at the shops, but unbeknownst to me the game had an aging mechanic and all the characters in my party were now 100 years old and had cripplingly low physical stats.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

goferchan posted:

Have you played Haiku The Robot yet? I have not, but I've heard really positive things. I still need to try Rabi Ribi though, pretty sure I own it.
I'll check it out... after another 100 hours in rogue legacy 2.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Just wanted to share this project I've been working on in my spare time and talking about in a few other threads. I'm going to be putting out a pretty comprehensive free public preview/demo on Steam from June 2 to June 20 for Steam Next Fest (Publicly I've been saying June 13, but we're encouraged to release it earlier than that so press could in theory access the demo earlier).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/

Basically it takes many mechanics and strategy elements from 2D fighting games (a la Street Fighter) and translates them to a simultaneous turn-based format. There's knockdowns, punishes, frame traps, tick throws, etc, but no reaction or execution checks to speak of. Presentation wise it's a bit bare because of my lack of a budget, but I've been getting some good feedback about the gameplay so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

This game seems pretty cool but drat the reviews are pretty harsh on it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dhamster posted:

Just wanted to share this project I've been working on in my spare time and talking about in a few other threads. I'm going to be putting out a pretty comprehensive free public preview/demo on Steam from June 2 to June 20 for Steam Next Fest (Publicly I've been saying June 13, but we're encouraged to release it earlier than that so press could in theory access the demo earlier).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/

Basically it takes many mechanics and strategy elements from 2D fighting games (a la Street Fighter) and translates them to a simultaneous turn-based format. There's knockdowns, punishes, frame traps, tick throws, etc, but no reaction or execution checks to speak of. Presentation wise it's a bit bare because of my lack of a budget, but I've been getting some good feedback about the gameplay so far.

it looks dumb as hell but "turn based 2D fighting game" sounds like liquid crack if you can polish it up.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A bit behind, but how is Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice?

Overall rating? Games to compare it to?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's an amazing experience more akin to a walking simulator then a game. You have to use a headphone or you're pretty much missing out.

There's more in depth here if you are curious. I kind of mini-reviewed the game but the focus is on how incredible the presentation and overall experience is.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I enjoyed it very much. The actual gameplay is competent but unremarkable, but the style and presentation are absolutely top notch and stand head and shoulders above most games. I'd give it a solid 9/10.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

It's an amazing experience more akin to a walking simulator then a game. You have to use a headphone or you're pretty much missing out.

There's more in depth here if you are curious. I kind of mini-reviewed the game but the focus is on how incredible the presentation and overall experience is.

That's a big helpful note about the headphones! Thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Youtuber Christopher Odd did a playthrough of Hellblade a while back and he's pretty good, he doesn't talk all over dialogue and he takes his time with gameplay. If you want to watch a bit and see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I would say 99% of games benefit from headphones. It's like VR, but like just your ears.