Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Available in US, Canada, Japan (subtitles), UK (dubbed only)

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Only if it's Fairtrade.
Can't do worse than what Coca-Cola do already. We could make a deal with the cocalero co-ops in Bolivia.

Gold has an atomic weight of 197 and can be used to buy cocaine internationally. The UK stole a bunch of gold from Latin America.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

The New Statesman has an actual good article! It's by the guy who just wrote that book about Starmer, gonna quote it in full, so you don't have to look at the rest of the site:

That's a really good article, thanks for posting.

Guavanaut posted:

Available in US, Canada, Japan (subtitles), UK (dubbed only)

Can't do worse than what Coca-Cola do already. We could make a deal with the cocalero co-ops in Bolivia.

Gold has an atomic weight of 197 and can be used to buy cocaine internationally. The UK stole a bunch of gold from Latin America most of the world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

The New Statesman has an actual good article! It's by the guy who just wrote that book about Starmer, gonna quote it in full, so you don't have to look at the rest of the site:

Good article that highlights something that we've been aware of in terms of his ignoring the cost of living issues outside of mealy-mouthed mumblings about a windfall tax on energy companies.

His overall policy has basically been "Britain will be all right if we follow the rules" and no broader vision, no wonder that's not enthusing many people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially when the likes of the Express are drooling that Boris is going to throw all the rules in the fire and we can do whatever the gently caress we want (not you, wealthy homeowners and businesses only).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Keith voice: I agree with the Prime Minister that "Tories rule" but would encourage him to rethink his "Labour drools" proposal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Labour drools" passes the house with a majority of 306

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

"Labour drools" passes the house with a majority of 306

Starmer whips the Labour Lords to abstain, obviously.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jeherrin posted:

Starmer whips the Labour Lords to abstain, obviously.

Corbyn condemned in the commons for breaking the whip and voting against the motion.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
he cant break the whip

and i cant imagine he would in that case

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

Coca-Cola is involved in a lot of sharp business practices, bad teeth and diabetes. The cartels idea of sharp practice is butchering poo poo loads of people with bladed and pointy objects.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Assisting subcontractors in hiring paramilitary members to murder trade union activists is up there with cartel activities, and most of the cocaine they produce is wasted too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1524279058418253825

Who wants to see Gove absolutely gakked out of his loving mind?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1524279058418253825

Who wants to see Gove absolutely gakked out of his loving mind?

You'd be the 3rd person to post it in the last 2 pages, so I'd say the interest is there alright!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aides attributed these comments to an overly tight necktie.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

Assisting subcontractors in hiring paramilitary members to murder trade union activists is up there with cartel activities, and most of the cocaine they produce is wasted too.

Different scale of suffering.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

It's like someone gave a Thunderbirds puppet coke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Different scale of suffering.

Coca-Cola funded and employed the loving AUC, dude. You know, the people who went into villages with chainsaws.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pistol_Pete posted:

My favourite bit of the article is where he points out that Starmer's positioning of himself as the solid defender of rules and order relies on the media being fair and not just making poo poo up about him in order for it to work.

It's the modern liberal disease of believing fervently that the entire world works like debate club.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Darth Walrus posted:

Coca-Cola funded and employed the loving AUC, dude. You know, the people who went into villages with chainsaws.

Yep and the AUC were just one of the cartels. The killing is still going on and the other organisations just as brutal.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...MP=share_btn_tw

We all know the spy cops scandal was utterly sickening, but if you want more rage fuel, new information is coming out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yep and the AUC were just one of the cartels. The killing is still going on and the other organisations just as brutal.
Meanwhile most of the killing and cartels stopped in countries that moved to the cocalero model of legal growing and sale to the state, so maybe we should opt to buy from Bolivia instead of from Coca-Cola and Colombia until they sort their poo poo out.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

Meanwhile most of the killing and cartels stopped in countries that moved to the cocalero model of legal growing and sale to the state, so maybe we should opt to buy from Bolivia instead of from Coca-Cola and Colombia until they sort their poo poo out.

Like I said as long as it's Fairtrade. All prohibition ever does is fund very naughty people indeed.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

willie_dee posted:

We all know the spy cops scandal was utterly sickening, but if you want more rage fuel, new information is coming out.

:popeye:

quote:

As Steel prepared her defence, Dines would obligingly pick her up from meetings with the young lawyer who was helping her – a newly qualified Keir Starmer – enabling him to hear all about the defence arguments as he drove her home. Later it would emerge that another undercover officer from the same SDS unit had helped draft the offending leaflet.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Dear thread, can I please ask a little advice regarding my tenancy.
I asked my landlord (via estate agent) if I could get a pet and they said no, referring to a clause in the TA (which was dated up until Jan 2021). Said clause reads

"not to keep on the Property or any part of it any poultry or livestock and not to keep any
other animals on the Property without consent in writing from the Landlord or his agent.
The Landlord may not unreasonably withhold such consent, but if the Landlord gives
consent to keep an animal at the Property this consent may be granted subject to
conditions, including an increase in the Rent, and the consent may be withdrawn at any
time with proper notice and reasonable justification."

No reason given, reasonable or otherwise. I feel as though I should challenge this but just need a little confirmation that I'd be right to do so? Is this clause actually worth anything or am I just asking for a "lol still no" from them?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ if you challenge it, the 'good reason' will be the damage to the floors / carpet from claws. That isn't actually a good reason, but it's the one they'll argue knowing you can't afford to fight it in court.

If your landlord doesn't want you to have a pet, don't expect to be able to argue contract to get one. Get one anyway, but be ready to have a neighbour or friend you can shift it off to when they come round to do inspections.

willie_dee posted:

quote:

Another judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, hearing a different part of the case that year, made a peculiar reference to James Bond to provide context for the behaviour of the police, arguing that the fictional spy’s behaviour showed how the intelligence services had for years used “officers to form personal relationships of an intimate sexual nature … in order to obtain information or access”. The women were treated dismissively during a home affairs select committee hearing.
No relation, I'm sure.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 11, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Mr Justice Tugendhat? Is his first name actually Justice?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^^ if you challenge it, the 'good reason' will be the damage to the floors / carpet from claws. That isn't actually a good reason, but it's the one they'll argue knowing you can't afford to fight it in court.

If your landlord doesn't want you to have a pet, don't expect to be able to argue contract to get one. Get one anyway, but be ready to have a neighbour or friend you can shift it off to when they come round to do inspections.

Ah man. I thought it'd be some bullshit like this. Thanks

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No relation, I'm sure.

He's the fuckwits dad lol.

keep punching joe posted:

Look pointing out your Very Important Title as much as you can is Very Important, even if it's actively the wrong way to use it. He's not "Justice", he's "Mister Justice".

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 11, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My friends been lying to landlords for over a decade about his cat and only been caught once, and even then he just argued the cat belonged to some neighbour but sometimes just comes in through the window. He has the safety net of family he could temporarily move in with worse case scenario though so he's happy with the risk.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think I just bought a house, which is quite a relief to know that I hopefully won't need to deal with petty landlords and letting agents much longer.

There is a title condition thats states a maximum of one dog and /or cat can be kept on the premises, but lol if I'm going to pay heed to that bullshit on an ex council scheme.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

one dog and /or cat

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
I'm challenging it anyway cos I want them to know that I know it's petty bullshit but I guess I don't expect it to end the way I want

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Deketh posted:

I'm challenging it anyway cos I want them to know that I know it's petty bullshit but I guess I don't expect it to end the way I want

"some googling" posted:

there has also been the Dogs and Domestic Animals Accommodation Protection Bill. Introduced to Parliament last year by Conservative MP for Romford, Andrew Rosindell, it proposes to make it a right for tenants to have domestic animals in rental properties.

It has wide cross-party support and public backing, and passed its first reading in the House of Commons comfortably. However, it has been waiting for some time for its second reading. With parliamentary time still at a premium, this could remain some way off. Some even suggest it will never enter law. Most bills introduced under the Ten Minute Rule – which enables backbench MPs to make their case for a new law in only ten minutes – never actually become legislation.

What pet do you want and what is the property like? Is it suitable for the pet? I guess cite examples of other people in similar properties that have pets. Their reason for refusal is supposed to be reasonable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

He's the fuckwits dad lol.

Not quite, he's his cousin. The justice shares a name with his uncle.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I think I just bought a house, which is quite a relief to know that I hopefully won't need to deal with petty landlords and letting agents much longer.

There is a title condition thats states a maximum of one dog and /or cat can be kept on the premises, but lol if I'm going to pay heed to that bullshit on an ex council scheme.

What about, say, two dozen ferrets?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Not quite, he's his cousin. The justice shares a name with his uncle.

Are you sure?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh god they were both Michael Tugendhats on the high court. Weird and creepy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

SixFigureSandwich posted:

What about, say, two dozen ferrets?

Doesn't mention that, just that all mineral rights belong to the local authority, I can't turn it into a factory, and am limited in the number of dogs and cats that can live there.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What pet do you want and what is the property like? Is it suitable for the pet? I guess cite examples of other people in similar properties that have pets. Their reason for refusal is supposed to be reasonable.

I've mentioned either a cat or small dog to them. It's a regular bungalow really, nothing about it that makes it unsuitable for pets. On a quiet cul de sac, loads of my neighbours have pets. I've made my case in an email to them, initially they just said "no pets as per clause" but the clause doesn't actually say no pets, it says consent may not be unreasonably withheld. So I've made that point, among others. Like Bobby D said, I'm sure they'll come up with some petty reason and it'll be a back and forth of them just saying no in different ways and, as intended, I'll be powerless to actually force their hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The internet assures me that emailing them a picture of the puppy doing the sad puppy eyes will melt any stone-cold landlord's heart.

Personally I prefer melting landlords with a blowtorch. :)