Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1524398193991364609?s=20&t=q6mcInjSjBj1T7weYMrWFA

lol Nurse is gonna be suspended for the game they are eliminated

https://twitter.com/kingsgifs2/status/1524241362194903041?s=20&t=q6mcInjSjBj1T7weYMrWFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Oilers are dirty.

Edit: this was in game 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/uljpwt/darnell_nurse_takes_out_trevor_moores_feet_from/

Sorry I am on mobile and can't link to video directly.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 11, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did not see Frederick Gaudreau becoming a top 6 player at age 29

Yeah. Least concerned about Gaudreau. It’s Fiala and to an extent Boldy who are not pulling it. You can forgive Boldy a little as a rookie for having some off games and shifts, but Fiala has had 5 of them now in a row, but he’s not lacking in opportunities.

Sure I’d want the GREEF line to score more, but they’re mostly doing their job of playing shut down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

The Oilers are dirty.

Edit: this was in game 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/uljpwt/darnell_nurse_takes_out_trevor_moores_feet_from/

Sorry I am on mobile and can't link to video directly.

I mean yeah probably, but that's also just the same guy.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Going by NHL "math" of 1 playoff game = 2 regular season games... I think Nurse will be suspended for the rest of Edmonton's season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Leafs could be up 3-0, and I'd still wouldn't get ahead of myself until I saw win number 4.

Also, in their first Round 1 loss to the Caps in 2017, I have always remembered it as a 7-game series. But, I looked today and it only went 6 games. It just felt like a 7-game series because 5 of the games went to OT.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow really unfair for the league to punish the Kings like that by suspending Nurse.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

The Leafs could be up 3-0, and I'd still wouldn't get ahead of myself until I saw win number 4.

Also, in their first Round 1 loss to the Caps in 2017, I have always remembered it as a 7-game series. But, I looked today and it only went 6 games. It just felt like a 7-game series because 5 of the games went to OT.

Yeah that series was wild, I still remember where I was when Matthews scored late in game 6. Washington and Boston 1.0 were the two series where I thought the Leafs were legitimately outclassed by their opponents and it was just fun to see the team progress, ever since they started getting home ice the playoffs have been misery.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Yeah. Least concerned about Gaudreau. It’s Fiala and to an extent Boldy who are not pulling it. You can forgive Boldy a little as a rookie for having some off games and shifts, but Fiala has had 5 of them now in a row, but he’s not lacking in opportunities.

Sure I’d want the GREEF line to score more, but they’re mostly doing their job of playing shut down.

When Fiala was with the Preds he was king of “that was a great scoring chance how did he not score?”

This year looking at the numbers it’s like “oh he finally got over the hump.” Maybe he is still streaky.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Aphrodite posted:

I mean yeah probably, but that's also just the same guy.
I don't have the videos on hand. But Kane's eblow/knee yesterday and Kassian's crosscheck. Hell, even McDavid and Draisatl have done stuff.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah that series was wild, I still remember where I was when Matthews scored late in game 6. Washington and Boston 1.0 were the two series where I thought the Leafs were legitimately outclassed by their opponents and it was just fun to see the team progress, ever since they started getting home ice the playoffs have been misery.

The Washington vs. Toronto series was probably the most stressful one I remember as a Capitals fan. Seemed like Toronto kept getting bullshit bounces throughout the series (including the Matthews goal in Game 6) and it was ostensibly the last year of Washington's contention window so I was getting a little depressed thinking about Ovechkin retiring without a Cup.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
DONT SUSPEND NURSE NHL, we need him to play to ensure the Kings eliminate the Loilers

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

When Fiala was with the Preds he was king of “that was a great scoring chance how did he not score?”

This year looking at the numbers it’s like “oh he finally got over the hump.” Maybe he is still streaky.

He was still streaky in the middle of the season, but fine. Everyone has some bad weeks. He's definitely hit another dry patch though, and it's really a drag. The pucks he fires that aren't hitting the net are getting turned over and sent right out of the zone because they're chasing and trying to break their lovely streak. I was finally starting to warm to him after the lovely nature and timing of the Granlund-Fiala trade, but it's the playoffs and it's not time for it. Someone is still going to pay him big money next year, but I don't think it's going to be Minnesota. Guerin doesn't seem the type for being very patient.

Kaprizov is a game breaker at least. But the team shouldn't be getting hung out by the 2nd line being so lovely right now. I'm not even super annoyed with MAF. Rebound control isn't much different than during the season, but the D is giving up too many chances that they weren't in the regular season and they seem a step behind getting to their spaces in their coverage.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MaoistBanker posted:

DONT SUSPEND NURSE NHL, we need him to play to ensure the Kings eliminate the Loilers

Have you considered that no Nurse likely means 25+ minutes of Keith?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

eXXon posted:

Let me tell you about Kris Russell

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

eXXon posted:

This is a good point, because my gawd Keith was awful last night.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Also a good point

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah, if I recall correctly, the Leafs were a surprise team that year. It was the year after they drafted Matthews. The team had their young guns break out, but they were still made up of the old core, which gave this Frankenstein quality to the team. I didn't even mind that they lost, because I just assumed the best was yet to come.

I just looked and they were the 8th seed against the 1st Washington seed, so yeah, no one expected much.

Mind_Taker posted:

The Washington vs. Toronto series was probably the most stressful one I remember as a Capitals fan. Seemed like Toronto kept getting bullshit bounces throughout the series (including the Matthews goal in Game 6) and it was ostensibly the last year of Washington's contention window so I was getting a little depressed thinking about Ovechkin retiring without a Cup.

"Ovechkin is in his age-31 season. Surely he'll be slowing down, and the contention window will close."

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, if I recall correctly, the Leafs were a surprise team that year. It was the year after they drafted Matthews. The team had their young guns break out, but they were still made up of the old core, which gave this Frankenstein quality to the team. I didn't even mind that they lost, because I just assumed the best was yet to come.

I just looked and they were the 8th seed against the 1st Washington seed, so yeah, no one expected much.

"Ovechkin is in his age-31 season. Surely he'll be slowing down, and the contention window will close."

Washington was the President's Trophy winner by a large margin and the Leafs were not expected to make the playoffs at all, yeah. Was easily the most likeable this team has ever been.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Duncan Keith actually had a pretty drat good first half of the season for Edmonton.. even the computer boys had to admit that it was a reverse of his years long trend of declining play!

the 2nd half of the season was a complete trainwreck though, culminating in his play in these playoffs. Still, a good 3 months was more than what most informed observers predicted out of Duncan Keith for the Oilers.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's because they opted to wear their terrible 3rd jerseys

awful jerseys, just the worst

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

eXXon posted:

This is the truly great thing:. Nurse has been bad, but Edmonton's remaining options are somehow much worse.

That contract is going to be a thing of beauty.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fleury has been crap. .906 sv pct, 3.04 GAA, -1 GSAA. Dudes been giving up huge juicy rebounds.

And St.Louis are good enough to make Minnesota pay for it.

So the exact same goalie he's been for 90% of his career?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

grack posted:

This is the truly great thing:. Nurse has been bad, but Edmonton's remaining options are somehow much worse.

That contract is going to be a thing of beauty.

9.25 million a year till 2030 is a beautiful thing... and Nurse is already leaving his prime years, he will be 35 when it expires.

Not good!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So the exact same goalie he's been for 90% of his career?

Yeah, I don't think anyone in Minnesota is particularly surprised by how Fleury is playing. Mostly just surprised at the D zone not picking up the 2nd chances.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

9.25 million a year till 2030 is a beautiful thing... and Nurse is already leaving his prime years, he will be 35 when it expires.

Not good!

He’ll almost be as experienced as Duncan Keith !

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey y'all thanks for responding to my post about getting into hockey a few days back. I'm having a poo poo ton of fun watching the Lightning/Panthers games. I don't even care that Tampa lost last night, that game was insanely fun. I'm going to ignore the NBA playoffs even more tonight and watch the Panthers again. Seriously that Leafs win was ridiculous. I was happy for those fans. Hockey kicks rear end. I love the pace of the sport.

I really need to brush up on my history for sure. Something I love about baseball specifically but nba and nfl too is knowing some old stories, the histories of teams, records and such. Great quotes, all that. I'm still learning the game of hockey and once I get that down and learn some history I think I'll feel more connected to it. Right now it's just fun as poo poo to watch which, to be fair, absolutely owns and is fine as is.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Washington was the President's Trophy winner by a large margin and the Leafs were not expected to make the playoffs at all, yeah. Was easily the most likeable this team has ever been.

Yeah, that was a team filled with rookies and no expectations so everyone just was happy going along for the ride.

They went from leading scorer 20 goal man PA parenteau to:

1: Matthews, Marner, Nylander lighting it up as rookies
2: Naz breakout 30 goal season and JVR bounce back
3: Freddie’s first season giving the Leafs a decent goalie for the first time in a decade
4: Supporting rookie performances from Hyman, Conor Brown, and Kapanen coming up late. Even Zaitsev had a promising rookie year before his dumb contract

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey y'all thanks for responding to my post about getting into hockey a few days back. I'm having a poo poo ton of fun watching the Lightning/Panthers games. I don't even care that Tampa lost last night, that game was insanely fun. I'm going to ignore the NBA playoffs even more tonight and watch the Panthers again. Seriously that Leafs win was ridiculous. I was happy for those fans. Hockey kicks rear end. I love the pace of the sport.

I really need to brush up on my history for sure. Something I love about baseball specifically but nba and nfl too is knowing some old stories, the histories of teams, records and such. Great quotes, all that. I'm still learning the game of hockey and once I get that down and learn some history I think I'll feel more connected to it. Right now it's just fun as poo poo to watch which, to be fair, absolutely owns and is fine as is.

Read Ken Dryden's book

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MaoistBanker posted:

Read Ken Dryden's book

The Game?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's the one. It's great.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's been a while, but I remember like the Down Goes Brown History of the NHL. I don't remember what it was like at all, except that I thought it was "good".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1524464058551918595

E: hello new thread title

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1524466136330473475

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 11, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

It's been a while, but I remember like the Down Goes Brown History of the NHL. I don't remember what it was like at all, except that I thought it was "good".

I’d second this for hockey newbies. It was nice and fun. Not the deepest or most scholarly look, but it’s accessible, funny and gives enough highlights that you know the important stuff and gives you an idea of where you want to learn more about in the future.

Edit: The Game is obviously great as well. It’s unquestionably the best hockey book for a reason. Dryden is a super smart dude, got his law degree at Cornell before becoming the best goalie in the world. If you want a Life of an NHL player type memoir, Dryden’s the go to.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 11, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

AsInHowe posted:

awful jerseys, just the worst

They hurt my brain to look at. Kind of like staring at one of those red-and-green-3D pictures without the special glasses. Gabage!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
aw man, Darnell is gonna miss his last game before he starts making NINE POINT TWO FIVE MILLION DOLLARS a year

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

After spending the entire GDT yelling about Morgan Rielly giving up endless rush chances against and how he’s going to get a raise next year it was very calming to watch the Oilers game and see Darnell Nurse do… what he does, especially knowing he’s going to get paid a good bit more.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darnell Nurse excels at being friends with McDavid and Draisaitl and isn't the power of friendship more valuable than any trophy could ever be? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Fuckin lmao