Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Glad to see the //Sign appreciation, years ago I kept seeing it get ripped on for being a slow-paced heavy philosophical piece about the social connections people make in a VRMMO instead of a fast-paced action show like later "trapped in an mmo" media.

Though even the people who don't like it seemed to agree that the music loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I like EC Rising pretty well but I might be going easy on it because I desperately want something to fill the Suikoden-shaped hole in modern gaming. There are a lot of fetch-sidequests (mostly to upgrade the town's vendors) but I found that I already had all the items I needed to immediately complete them most of the time. Fast travel is good at decreasing the tedium for those. Combat hasn't been too difficult so far but it's becoming more interesting as I unlock new attacks and movement abilities.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Suikoden IV wasn't interested in explaining this goofy thing at all, but I think the next couple games imply it was the source of all the rune cannon shells used by the naval powers of the region in that era, so if you squint a lot I guess it could be taken as an arms race or nuclear proliferation metaphor since even a hundred years later people were still dealing with the leftovers

Most of the Tactics scenario probably needed to be rolled into Suikoden IV for a lot of these things to make sense and just to flesh everything out properly. Except for the goat stuff, of course

If I remember correctly Kika can one-shot the final tree boss with her Falcon rune if it crits, which owns

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So because I'm an idiot, I only just realized how many JRPGs I've played and seen that have parties/ teams that already know each other before joining the team to some degree: Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Golden Sun, I assume most most if not all Fire Emblems give you a Jeigan that serve that role, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, FF 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, The Mario RPGs, DQ5 and 8, Disgaea 1

What are some other good ones that I'm missing?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Junpei posted:

I guess I should ask since this is being written by the Suikoden guy and I'm not super familiar with that series: How grounded/political do the stories stay? Is it like Fire Emblem where it can start off political but then everything gets usurped by an Evil Super Monster that the heroes have to stop by collecting magic weapons? Is it more like Triangle Strategy where the politics are the pure focus? Or is there an even mix of the supernatural and the grounded?

if you havent played the suikoden games you should go and fix that right now. skip 4 tho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So because I'm an idiot, I only just realized how many JRPGs I've played and seen that have parties/ teams that already know each other before joining the team to some degree: Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Golden Sun, I assume most most if not all Fire Emblems give you a Jeigan that serve that role, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, FF 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, The Mario RPGs, DQ5 and 8, Disgaea 1

I'd say probably at least a very large minority have some sort of Childhood Friend character if not an outright majority

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dragon Quest 8 counts until you learn that the hero and Yangus literally just met right before the game started lmao

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Phantasy Star feels kinda notable for never doing the childhood friends thing. You're either starting solo and building a team of (mostly) strangers like Alis and Rhys, or you've got the Alys/Chaz mentor/protege relationship and... whatever Rolf and Nei were doing, which I try not to think too hard about

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

if you havent played the suikoden games you should go and fix that right now. skip 4 tho

Suikoden 4 is actually pretty alright if you use a cheat to turn off random encounters.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Glad to see the //Sign appreciation, years ago I kept seeing it get ripped on for being a slow-paced heavy philosophical piece about the social connections people make in a VRMMO instead of a fast-paced action show like later "trapped in an mmo" media.

Though even the people who don't like it seemed to agree that the music loving owns

it didn't help that toonami's commercials for it were all footage from the like five minutes of action that do occur

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Final Fantasy 10 has lots of pre-existing relationships.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nighteyedie posted:

Suikoden 4 is actually pretty alright if you use a cheat to turn off random encounters.

lol what a sad indictment of a game. it's not incredible or great or wonderful if you do this, it's just alright

i'm not really all that high on Suiko 5 these days either, it's fine but it takes so much inspiration from S1/S2 and it gets a little too creepy and the prologue takes so god drat long and the politics stuff is never nearly as interesting as in the other games. play 1+2, see if you like the first 2-3 chapters of each character enough in 3 to put up with the game for the 65~ hours it will ask of you, skip the rest. maybe pop into Tactics if you like strategy RPGs

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasy 10 has lots of pre-existing relationships.

As does Final Fantasy 2. Your first two characters in FF3DS are also friends, if that counts.

Final Fantasy XII's cast are a group of three pairs each with past relationships with each other.

There are whole recruitment arcs in Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre that depend on recruiting somebody's friend/relative first before recruiting them, but I don't know if we're counting optional recruits or not. If we are, there's also Beowulf and Reis from FFT.

Lufia 1 & 2 both start with a single character then add a childhood friend/potential love interest shortly after.

Also Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross too.

As for the SaGa series there's, at the very least, multiple characters from Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier (though again SaGa games aren't generally big on "non-optional" characters).

Lost Odyssey's playable party is chock-a-block with long-last family members of each other (6 out of 9 are related to at least one other party member).

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Delsaber posted:

Phantasy Star feels kinda notable for never doing the childhood friends thing. You're either starting solo and building a team of (mostly) strangers like Alis and Rhys, or you've got the Alys/Chaz mentor/protege relationship and... whatever Rolf and Nei were doing, which I try not to think too hard about

Yeah, Phantasy Star never did childhood friends, just past relationships. Alys had something with Rune somewhere in the past, Kyra obviously knows Rune to a certain capacity, Rolf and Nei sorta just recently met (everyone else is strangers) in PSII, and Myau's just a good friend of Odin's in PS1. On the whole, there's a lot of strangers in the party throughout the original 4 games.

There's not really enough backstory to know or care in PS3.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Odd Wilson posted:

There's not really enough backstory to know or care in PS3.

While PS3 lacks backstory, it does have time skips and generations, and it can be assumed whatever MCs you end up with Gen 2 and Gen 3 they grew up around Wren and Meiu, if nothing else

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Phantasy Star III is a bit unique because of the generational structure. Generation 1 is mostly Rhys assembling a crew of strangers, while Gen 2 onwards can be a mix of all kinds of relationships at their starting points. I think one of the androids survives through all generations and therefore ends up with (implied, via very little dialogue) familial or friendly ties to almost everyone. It was a great concept that deserved a better game built around it.

e: f;b

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the only good thing about suikoden 4 is there's an upgrade you get that makes you run faster and the sped-up animation is very funny

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nighteyedie posted:

Is there a way to do this for PS2 games on PCSX2?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Yea PCSX2 is what I used, also has the benefit of being able to speed up the boat sections by removing the FPS cap.

It has been a while since I did it, but here is a guide on how to set up the cheats:
https://www.almarsguides.com/retro/walkthroughs/ps2/HowtoUsePs2Codes/PCSX2/
and I think I used the codes here, there is a no encounters cheat if you click into the Misc section.
http://codetwink.com/view-cheats-4708-title-suikoden+iv.html
Also found this premade file but not sure if it works:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Post-your-PCSX2-cheats-patches-here?page=332

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Zokari posted:

the only good thing about suikoden 4 is there's an upgrade you get that makes you run faster and the sped-up animation is very funny

the noise is fantastic too

I said come in! posted:

it's all going to be built off of the in-emulator cheating options. look for a cheats patch for the game you want that has a no encounter code

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

it didn't help that toonami's commercials for it were all footage from the like five minutes of action that do occur

It's weird seeing people mention it in the context of toonami or adult swim because I know when I saw it it was airing as part of cartoon network's saturday block which I don't remember if it had a specific name but all of the bumpers were just very obvious homages to metroid.

e: this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn-pjF1S98E

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That block did not last long at all. Barely remember it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I forget how long is between the text adventures and PS2 proper, but Nei's Adventure ends with her meeting Rolf/Eusis as a child and he adopts her as a little sister and she quickly grows because she's a newman.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man I remember trying to get into the first .hack series but goddamn that game was slower than molasses. I did watch .hack//sign and liked that despite how absolutely loving weird it was and even despite how I can only recommend that show to enough people to count on one hand, and the Legend of the Twilight was okay I guess. Also tried .hack//GU but that tournament arc in the first game absolutely defeated me with the amount of grinding they wanted out of me.

... but also I don't remember getting the Last Recode collection on Steam, but yet it is in my library. *Installs*

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Delsaber posted:

Phantasy Star III is a bit unique because of the generational structure. Generation 1 is mostly Rhys assembling a crew of strangers, while Gen 2 onwards can be a mix of all kinds of relationships at their starting points. I think one of the androids survives through all generations and therefore ends up with (implied, via very little dialogue) familial or friendly ties to almost everyone. It was a great concept that deserved a better game built around it.

e: f;b

Don't get me wrong, the generational concept was neat. It just deserved a better game that could make it shine.

Phantasy Star III is just... rough.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Odd Wilson posted:

Don't get me wrong, the generational concept was neat. It just deserved a better game that could make it shine.

What other games are there withe a generation/family concept? FE4, 13, and 14, the Agarest Senki games but I've heard they're horny and bad, someone mentioned a Japanese-based one a bit back, technically Rogue Legacy and it's sequel...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Junpei posted:

What other games are there withe a generation/family concept? FE4, 13, and 14, the Agarest Senki games but I've heard they're horny and bad, someone mentioned a Japanese-based one a bit back, technically Rogue Legacy and it's sequel...

Generational games are kinda cursed, Agarest is pretty bad in general, Massive Chalice uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah,

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Junpei posted:

Dragon Quest 5 has you start off as a little kid adventuring with your dad, grow up and get married and finally do an adventure with your kids.

Massive Chalice and Wildermyth are both games with proc gen characters built around this to a certain extent where you will have heroes and play as their kids as time passes.

Romancing Saga 2 has you go through a succession of characters as the game goes on who are your previous character's heirs.

Rune Factory 2 starts off with a smaller prologue section where you play as the parents to the character you'll play for most of the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

DQ5 sort of. That Oreshika game is like that isn't it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh, yeah Oreshika is a good call actually

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Odd Wilson posted:

PS3 has several radical ideas that would have been great if they weren't half-baked. Generational stuff is one example, another is the dynamic battle theme that changed based on how you were doing in a fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Fable 3 has you play as the kid of the Fable 2 hero but uh its not a great game and it doesn't really do much with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah the music would have been neat if it wasn't all like, eight notes total per track

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zore posted:

Fable 3 has you play as the kid of the Fable 2 hero but uh its not a great game and it doesn't really do much with it.

I think they're all related? The Fable 2 PC is a distant descendant of the first hero.

I remember this because you can romance Lady Grey in both games and somebody pointed out to me how weird this would be. She's also like a zombie in Fable 2 which would just add to the weirdness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i forgive agarest, because they had one game where they got the summon night guys to co-develop it and it was the one game with a generation where you just straight-up play as a lesbian

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Gaius Marius posted:

Oreshika was the one I meant when I said that Japanese one someone mentioned a bit back.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah the music would have been neat if it wasn't all like, eight notes total per track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfj1kWwDVW0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i forgive agarest, because they had one game where they got the summon night guys to co-develop it and it was the one game with a generation where you just straight-up play as a lesbian

Oh, the PSP one that never came outside of JP, dang

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, the PSP one that never came outside of JP, dang

If you mean Mariage, it's available on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you mean Mariage, it's available on Steam.

oh, no poo poo

hmmmmm

Sucks that it's only for one generation and I'm sure it's still Agarest though