Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

No Dignity posted:

After DS3 putting quickstep on [0] good weapons Elden Ring letting you put ultra-quickstep on the biggest weapons in the game is incredibly dumb, yes

While quickstep in Elden Ring is a special kind of broken, I do think the ability to swap weapon arts was a fantastic addition and I hope they keep that train going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

After DS3 putting quickstep on [0] good weapons Elden Ring letting you put ultra-quickstep on the biggest weapons in the game is incredibly dumb, yes

Ya quickstep is so fun but it's on the shortest range weapons in ds3. I had to switch to twinblades even though the art skill aren't as good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

Dorohys Gnawing will let you kill Dancer with only a little practice dodge rolling, it's the first way I did it

I killed Dancer with the dark hand just meeting the requirements really early into the game, letting you access to chunks and other upgrade materials making the early game a breeze.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do you find the keys for some of the locked cells in the Irithyll dungeon? I have checked everything until the profaned capital bonfire.

Also this area is basically Tower Latria 2.0 and but the prison guard enemies are more similar to the Winter Lantern enemy with the get damaged by looking at them. Really cool to see a throwback to Demon Souls since most of this game seems like a love letter to DS1 mainly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ulio posted:

How do you find the keys for some of the locked cells in the Irithyll dungeon? I have checked everything until the profaned capital bonfire.

Also this area is basically Tower Latria 2.0 and but the prison guard enemies are more similar to the Winter Lantern enemy with the get damaged by looking at them. Really cool to see a throwback to Demon Souls since most of this game seems like a love letter to DS1 mainly.

There’s a way back into the dungeon later in Profaned Capital, and the last dungeon key is in that part.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

skasion posted:

There’s a way back into the dungeon later in Profaned Capital, and the last dungeon key is in that part.

I think I did that last time (pre-ER lol), while never unlocking the door in the bonfire room jail entrance

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

I think I did that last time (pre-ER lol), while never unlocking the door in the bonfire room jail entrance

if its what im thinking of thats the shortcut to rat hell where that giant is

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(Edit: I hosed up this potential discussion by overselling this guy, who is a "subs > dubs" rear end in a top hat. If you're interested in translations then check out Shetani's Lair on youtube, not this guy.)

Anyone read this before? The author is very opinionated and states conclusions about ambiguous lore, but they have tons of personal Japanese->English translations to compare with Frognation's outsource-job we've been dissecting. Their contention is that these arw Japanese games for Japanese players, with cut content originally being Japanese, and so tje English translation is a nice-to-have in Miyazaki's eyes. We got poetic "translations" of every FromSoft game, which miss key factual statements that would have appeared in blunt transliterations. Sekiro is an example of this going south (and even I noticed how lovely that was).

I'm torn because this interpretation of the text is memorable and charming, if not accurate. We missed the Pygmy connection but got "I may be small, but I will die a COLOSSUS". Just like FFT had a poo poo script but included "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God" in the first scene, something "corrected" in the remake.

https://lokeysouls.com/2022/01/04/localization/

There are articles on everything, it's pretty crazy. I'm now convinced we've never met Havel for instance, and that he was probably a God. Not just translations but actually coherent lore theories, like the timeline of Bloodborne and how Willem came in as a Victorian-style Natural Philosopher colonist. The Fishing Hamlet theory is the first coherent explanation I've heard for instance.

https://lokeysouls.com/2022/03/17/byrgenwerth/
https://lokeysouls.com/2022/03/15/fishing-hamlet/

I don't remember translation issues in Armored Core, but I wasn't talking AC on forums as a kid (lol GameFAQs board) and would have missed any discussion

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 10, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
This is completely nonsensical. Dark Souls lore has been thoroughly and irrefutably explained by PlagueOfGripes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I killed Dancer with the dark hand just meeting the requirements really early into the game, letting you access to chunks and other upgrade materials making the early game a breeze.

hell yeah, did this on my last crow talons run. super useful in a ton of ways and seems to be the intended path for veteran players

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

This is completely nonsensical. Dark Souls lore has been thoroughly and irrefutably explained by PlagueOfGripes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

holy poo poo, there's a sequel coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_277J8ZJxSU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Analytic Engine posted:

Anyone read this before? The author is very opinionated and states conclusions about ambiguous lore, but they have tons of personal Japanese->English translations to compare with Frognation's outsource-job we've been dissecting. Their contention is that these arw Japanese games for Japanese players, with cut content originally being Japanese, and so tje English translation is a nice-to-have in Miyazaki's eyes. We got poetic "translations" of every FromSoft game, which miss key factual statements that would have appeared in blunt transliterations. Sekiro is an example of this going south (and even I noticed how lovely that was).

I'm torn because this interpretation of the text is memorable and charming, if not accurate. We missed the Pygmy connection but got "I may be small, but I will die a COLOSSUS". Just like FFT had a poo poo script but included "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God" in the first scene, something "corrected" in the remake.

https://lokeysouls.com/2022/01/04/localization/

There are articles on everything, it's pretty crazy. I'm now convinced we've never met Havel for instance, and that he was probably a God. Not just translations but actually coherent lore theories, like the timeline of Bloodborne and how Willem came in as a Victorian-style Natural Philosopher colonist. The Fishing Hamlet theory is the first coherent explanation I've heard for instance.

https://lokeysouls.com/2022/03/17/byrgenwerth/
https://lokeysouls.com/2022/03/15/fishing-hamlet/

I don't remember translation issues in Armored Core, but I wasn't talking AC on forums as a kid (lol GameFAQs board) and would have missed any discussion

Well y'know it's like string theory. If it works and explains things, nice, great. But really, is there much observational evidence to support it? Idk...

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I apologize, I hosed this up by overselling that guys's point. He comes off as a subs-vs-dubs rear end in a top hat and reaches too far with conclusions, I agree. Miyazaki wants English speakers to love and play these games, also agreed. But they don't pay an English speaker on the FromSoft team to translate things, and there are typos and little details that are not intentionally confusing in the Japanese. Aldritch -> Eldritch is a thing, for example.

This youtuber is great, she's fluent in both languages and has videos on most Souls games. Ignore the opinionated guy with lore theories, this is what I should have posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUc7qEzrMk

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Felt like giving this or DS2 a go but it looks like the entire series on PC hasn't been on sale since Elden Ring came out. Even dodgy key sites are expensive. Seems kinda lovely considering online doesn't even work anymore.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

Felt like giving this or DS2 a go but it looks like the entire series on PC hasn't been on sale since Elden Ring came out. Even dodgy key sites are expensive. Seems kinda lovely considering online doesn't even work anymore.

Give https://isthereanydeal.com/ a try. It's a free tracker to see if they put it on sale anywhere (only legit sites tho).

Alternative is to get them on consoles (if you got any) as they're usually cheap.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Isthereanydeal is how I noticed it hasn't been on sale for so long.

Probably should have hung onto my PS4 I guess

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Probably will go on sale the very first time they do an Elden Ring sale (that will be 20-25% off tops). Maybe on June for summer sale or whatever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

spaceblancmange posted:

my guess is that online not working is specifically the reason they haven't put them on sale. it's not a good time to direct people to the games. they'll probably do a sale again once online is fixed to get the fromsoft first timers coming from elden ring.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

my guess is that online not working is specifically the reason they haven't put them on sale. it's not a good time to direct people to the games. they'll probably do a sale again once online is fixed to get the fromsoft first timers coming from elden ring.

I considered this but it looks like the console digital copies which used to go on sale regularly haven't either. Seems like the publisher is happy selling at RRP with the popularity of Elden Ring. :capitalism: :darksouls:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I read some of this; specifically his article on Havel (since you mentioned it) and his main summary page. Like you said, he definitely overstates his case; nearly all of his translations on Havel's page were the same as the given translation, but with much worse grammar. There was at least one mistranslation though (great heal excerpt isn't cast by advanced clerics, but it's a simplified version of an advanced spell for the masses) but I hardly think it changed my reading. In particular, I think there's just as much support for "the guy in the tower is not Havel" in the Frognation text as there is in his translation.

One point I will disagree with him on is "the Fromsoft games were never intended for a Western audience". I think you could credibly make that claim for Demon's Souls, given its troubled localization, and plausibly for Dark Souls too, but after the bonkers success Dark Souls had in the West there's no way the West wasn't taken into consideration for the following games. In particular, there's no way Elden "World Building by GRRM" Ring did not have Americans in mind.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dude's style gives me big time "why were the curtains blue?" energy. Lots of bouncing from one free-association conclusion to the next, based entirely on assumptions rather than anything truly concrete.

Then again I disagree with his initial, foundational premise of "there is one single coherent true answer that From wrote with the full intention of that answer being plainly evident in the game" because I really don't believe that's true. I believe that there's some dodgy translations, and that some implications are lost across the cultural divide, but not that there's an absolute unambiguous Truth hiding inside item descriptions if you stare at them long enough.

And of course it's always just a bad look if a critical pillar of your reasoning is "dumb idiot translators don't know anything, unlike me" because somehow it always ends boiling down to "they used a synonym instead of a hyper-literal translation, the absolute morons!!!".

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't see what the Japanese text adds regarding Havel. The offical translation is pretty clear that Havel was a bishop who was a companion of Gwyn and that the gear is worn by "Havel the Rock's warriors" rather than only Havel himself and that the watchtower basement is a prison for an old hero turned hollow, locked up by his friend (the divine blacksmith who was holding the key). There's plenty in the official text that supports the notion that the person you fight is not Havel himself. Is there anywhere in the game that he is actually unambiguously referred to as Havel The Rock, like it says in the article? As far as I remember I just surmised his identity by the fact that he drops Havel's Ring. If anything the fact that you find Havel's gear in Anor Londo regardless of whether or not you kill the watchtower guy is a testament to the fact that he died there and is not locked up in the Burg.

Volte fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 11, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This is so messy, because the environmental storytelling is sometimes indirect while the written text rarely is. Havel was a bad choice for a translation example because as you guys said it's inferable in all versions that the tower guy is a follower. I didn't know that possibility and learned it reading the blowhard's article, where he also makes a point about translating the miracle excerpt, and I came here ready to post about a Havel translation issue. I understand now why those are distinct but it didn't feel that way at the time, and it's why you shouldn't mix lore & translation like this guy does everywhere

Aldritch is a better translation example: VO lines pronounce it "Ahl-dritch", while HPL and Miyazaki were using "Ell-dritch". That's so distinct in spelling and sound that it didn't occur to me, nor the other people who made the posts I learned it from. And Miyazaki ain't subtle about his love of HPL's works (hopefully not the lovely man). An indirection layer around the name would be a cool setup for a reveal about him coming from the stars or something, but it was written to be as blunt as this rune:

I never cared about the Japanese text for the same reason I played Sekiro in English, the dialogue poetry and VO team is incredible across every one of these games. Ludleth references he is a Pygmy in JP, but his En line is loving sick. I don't care about the Pygmy lore since I started with DS3, so this mistranslation makes sense to me "because it doesn't matter", but DS1 fans would definitely want the original reference preserved. SMDH

Finally, Conan may be a BB influence that's gone unremarked. Howard was HPL's friend and our character in BB is way more Conan (artifact-using rogue with fighting chops killing cultists) then the fainting fancylads of HPL's stories

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Dude's style gives me big time "why were the curtains blue?" energy. Lots of bouncing from one free-association conclusion to the next, based entirely on assumptions rather than anything truly concrete.

This seems to be a lot Souls theorycrafting in general? It's like a an extremely specific form of schizophrenia that only makes you write rambling tracts about tarot symbolism and how every single unexplained event through any of the games was was caused by Velka

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

No Dignity posted:

This seems to be a lot Souls theorycrafting in general? It's like a an extremely specific form of schizophrenia that only makes you write rambling tracts about tarot symbolism and how every single unexplained event through any of the games was was caused by Velka

The guy who made "From Berserk to Bloodborne" seems legitimately schizophrenic
https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/From+Berserk+to+Bloodborne

"The Paleblood Hunt" seems to be more respected but I haven't read it
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28406834-the-paleblood-hunt

All lore theories are ultimately based on the fact that Miyazaki has said he isn't making things up as he goes along, that there is a "real" story to these games, you just see bits and pieces of it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

skasion posted:

Oh ok. Btw this game has been pretty drat easy so far. Got slightly stuck on Crystal Sage/Abyss watchers but I just got to armored dragon and I have basically first time all the bosses almost till now. Aldrich/Sulyvahn looked cool but were kinda pushovers.

The loving morphing/infected hollows are such cool enemeis, fromsoft has such unique designs man, the enemy designs, the backgrounds, this game is a looker.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone start souls with DS3? What was your experience getting into these?

I beat almost every Armored Core as a kid and eventually got out of gaming, then stumbled on DS3 during a sale without realizing it was by FROM (& Miyazaki cut his teeth on AC4:FA). I approached it like Skyrim and immediately sucked until the systems began to make sense. Was thinking I could only bank souls with the item drops lol. The intrinsic rewards built up until I became a fanboy... right around the time I challenged Aldritch and realized I'd put in 150 hours without knowing it

We've heard a bit of Bust Rodd's experience, and it sounds like the opposite of mine. I didn't know lots of really important things because I stubbornly refused to "use a player's guide" or "read the GameFAQs files". I wasn't prepared for the new era of game design these things established

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

Anyone start souls with DS3? What was your experience getting into these?

I beat almost every Armored Core as a kid and eventually got out of gaming, then stumbled on DS3 during a sale without realizing it was by FROM (& Miyazaki cut his teeth on AC4:FA). I approached it like Skyrim and immediately sucked until the systems began to make sense. Was thinking I could only bank souls with the item drops lol. The intrinsic rewards built up until I became a fanboy... right around the time I challenged Aldritch and realized I'd put in 150 hours without knowing it

We've heard a bit of Bust Rodd's experience, and it sounds like the opposite of mine. I didn't know lots of really important things because I stubbornly refused to "use a player's guide" or "read the GameFAQs files". I wasn't prepared for the new era of game design these things established

I started with Demon Souls, there was a huge thread here about a random jank rear end JRPG, I was like wtf are these people playing. I remember people arguing about the lore, where certain items were, the thread felt like a mystery. I kept hearing about it and I saw videos. The game didn't look that good but I had just gotten a PS3 with just Metal Gear Solid 4. I decided to get Demon Souls just to see if the word of mouth was real, had to import a EU copy since there were no copies in North America. Have played all the games since, currently going through DS3 for the first time, then still have ER to play. Sekiro is probably my favorite along with DS1.

I think you will really love all Soulsborne games, it's such a great feeling when you find a new series that you absolutely love and there is a poo poo ton of games to play. Recently happened to me with Yakuza as well.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Ulio posted:

Oh ok. Btw this game has been pretty drat easy so far. Got slightly stuck on Crystal Sage/Abyss watchers but I just got to armored dragon and I have basically first time all the bosses almost till now. Aldrich/Sulyvahn looked cool but were kinda pushovers.

The loving morphing/infected hollows are such cool enemeis, fromsoft has such unique designs man, the enemy designs, the backgrounds, this game is a looker.

the whole game is kinda easy. but still very cool.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

the whole game is kinda easy. but still very cool.

Ya it's been super enjoyable. I am sure I will eventually find a hard boss, I heard alot about the Nameless King. But I think that is really end game stuff. Tbh all Souls games get easier as you get experience in them. That's the thing I liked about Sekiro, it felt like when I first played Demon Souls and it was tough as nails.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though Sekiro is probably the easiest once you get over that initial hump

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though Sekiro is probably the easiest once you get over that initial hump

drat, these games really are a land of contrasts. Sekiro is an excellent game I never want to replay because it was stressful and mechanically boring the whole way through. Gave up on Isshin, and the only fight I truly enjoyed was the giraffe man's rhythm game challenge. When you don't gel with the fundamental combat system (and there aren't any personalization options) the whole thing falls apart. But yeah Sekiro is many people's favorite souls game, go figure

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Analytic Engine posted:

drat, these games really are a land of contrasts. Sekiro is an excellent game I never want to replay because it was stressful and mechanically boring the whole way through. Gave up on Isshin, and the only fight I truly enjoyed was the giraffe man's rhythm game challenge. When you don't gel with the fundamental combat system (and there aren't any personalization options) the whole thing falls apart. But yeah Sekiro is many people's favorite souls game, go figure

I think that is understandable. I don’t like Sekiro much either, but IMO it’s the hardest From software game at the start. Because if you don’t play it in the way it wants it’s really punishing.

Once you play how it wants it’s kind of one note

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that is understandable. I don’t like Sekiro much either, but IMO it’s the hardest From software game at the start. Because if you don’t play it in the way it wants it’s really punishing.

Once you play how it wants it’s kind of one note

It's a single note, true, but the instrument is so precise and dependable that this guy could speedrun it blindfolded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vNvmSp6rY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

See I see that as more of a problem than anything

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wow, Sekiro is so easy you can literally beat it blindfolded

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

See I see that as more of a problem than anything

Audio queues are a really important and often neglected aspect of action games imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sekiro is one of the most fun games to speedrun, if you get good at the game you can stomp the bosses so hard. While in Souls if you speedrunning you are sl1 most likely and won't be strong. But in Sekiro blade upgrades are easy to get and it's also about the stagger meter.

Still going through DS3, this must be my first souls game where I have first timed almost all the bosses so far. Usually I am the souls veteran who is dying nonstop to every boss just because I go for no armor and most aggressive builds. where I get one shot. But the boss designs after Abyss Watchers are all super cool looking. Yhorm, Aldrich, Sulyvahn, currently at Lorian where I died to his 2nd stage.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

currently at Lorian where I died to his 2nd stage.

This place marks our grave.

But you may rest here too, if you like.

(I died a lot more than once to Twin Princes...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

This place marks our grave.

But you may rest here too, if you like.

(I died a lot more than once to Twin Princes...)

Ya I have a feeling that will happen a lot too lol.

E: definitely took more than one try. I think he wasn't that hard, he is quite slow but I just got impatient so I died like 10 times to him wasted few embers.

E2: I didn't even realize this is basically the end of the game. I think this is the fastest I've ever gone through a souls game and I went through everything so far. In the base game I only have Nameless King left and Soul of Cinder. At around 30hs.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 17, 2022