Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

(e.g., Japanese wasei eigo "private" does not mean private),

What's the full context of this? Looking up "wasei eigo private" on Google and Jisho aren't giving me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

marumaru posted:

i want to reach the level where i can read untranslated manga but i dont need to go much further than the 2500 kanji by frequency to realize that realistically i'm never going to reach that level :v:
there's a ton of really interesting manga that never get translated/animated

Im doing this it's worth it. The trick is to learn words not Kanji but usually people who are learning individual Kanji don't believe that.

Polsy posted:

Right, that's fine if you do have the time/inclination to look up every word but that article is specifically advising you not to because you'll probably burn out a few pages in. Granted this is more about books than manga.

I posted that link in the other thread. I think it Def doesn't mean "stare at Manga with no level of japanese" but I think people don't realize how early you can start consuming content. And how helpful it is. I mostly read LightNovels and novels and I'm just starting to read manga but eventually between the sheer joy of reading in Japanese and the desire to find out what is next looking things up doesn't feel as cumbersome and then the question isnt like you said about time, but really just desire.

There is also i think a large callus you have to build around not comprehending EVERYTHING and for some that's no fun and learning Japanese is about fun, but if you can get over that hump, lots of fun to be had and slowly as the hours pile up you realize while you still can't understand everything, you understand more than before. At least for me that's enough.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Curse of the Mirror

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Julias posted:

What's the full context of this? Looking up "wasei eigo private" on Google and Jisho aren't giving me anything.

It's kind of how the Japanese word Mai pesu マイペース doesn't mean "my pace" as we know it in English.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Japanese wasei eigo “Namtab”

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

Japanese wasei eigo “Namtab”

It's the word for Buddha's earlobes. It comes from Namu, how many buddhist chants starts, and Tabu, short for Mimitabu (earlobe).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

do you enjoy baikingu? 🚴‍♀️ (バイキング)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

marumaru posted:

do you enjoy baikingu? 🚴‍♀️ (バイキング)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the Fruits Basket prequel movie is out now (the one that adapts the story about Tohru’s parents)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

https://jisho.org/word/%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%99%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88

It's basically short for "private life", i.e., off work.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's an example where it should be "outside of work":

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks squark. That makes a fair bit of sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean the moral of the story is that fan translators are just people learning Japanese like you, except they decide to learn it publicly as a communal activity instead of being terrified of touching children's comics without a complete vocabulary. And most official translators are just fan translators who've been doing it long enough to pass a simple test.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

strangely aggressive post

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is this some strange wasei eigo meaning of aggression

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

marumaru posted:

strangely aggressive post

I just mean they are on the opposite of the spectrum where instead of feeling absolutely shame of not being perfect, they feel no shame about exposing their ignorance to the world. But that's kind of what needs to happen if you want to get anything translated, ever.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Clarste posted:

I mean the moral of the story is that fan translators are just people learning Japanese like you, except they decide to learn it publicly as a communal activity instead of being terrified of touching children's comics without a complete vocabulary. And most official translators are just fan translators who've been doing it long enough to pass a simple test.

Right. Sometimes I want to try translating things. There is this movie I really love that only has a Chinese translation I've also found some interviews with game developers and directors for old games that maybe people have an emotional attachment to, but I never even try. Because if I tried to translate it, even if I put a big warning at the front that says "I've never done this before and I'm a goon with a job and a family who is doing this to share something I like with people who might like it too" and someone, especially someone who can't speak Japanese, tried to make me feel bad about some minute detail I missed or didn't fully understand. I would never translate anything again, and just continue reading and enjoying things on my own.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm in this fansubbing discord where a guy keeps asking for help translating basic words, saying that they doubt the official English translation for the show on gut feelings, and then drops that they don't even know what 見 means. Very frustrating how some people refuse to study more before embarking on such journeys.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, yeah, if your motive is spite instead of self-discovery that's a little different, imo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

is this some strange wasei eigo meaning of aggression

Aggretsuko isn’t very aggressive.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the only reason sailor moon is more popular than the objectively-superior Revolutionary Girl Utena is because it made US normies horny for schoolgirls 30 years ago. hell, utena is even better at being horny!

https://youtu.be/d7fQg0U4PHk

rinbu revolution rips the doors off of moonlight densetsu!!!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I'm in this fansubbing discord where a guy keeps asking for help translating basic words, saying that they doubt the official English translation for the show on gut feelings, and then drops that they don't even know what 見 means. Very frustrating how some people refuse to study more before embarking on such journeys.

"I see a dream"
The famous speach by MLK, also a ABBA song.

Strange Quark posted:

Here's an example where it should be "outside of work":

This looks more like an ESL problem. It's perfectly understandable in the context.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurking Haro posted:

"I see a dream"
The famous speach by MLK, also a ABBA song.

This looks more like an ESL problem. It's perfectly understandable in the context.

The scanlation started out okay but then got worse with each chapter. They don't understand how "you" works in Japanese so everyone talks in third person a few chapters in.

"In private" doesn't work for the scene because one guy dropped by the other's apartment in an earlier chapter, and the "outside of work" is esepcially important to emphasize since the premise is that they're MMO friends who don't know they're coworkers irl.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
imagine preferring Mass Naked Child Event transformation over pulling a loving 4 foot rapier out of your gf’s tiddies so you can do World Revolution

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I mean I'd like Utena more if Jupiter was there to crack some skulls I guess

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dunno what you're on about but of course the show that was actually on tv was way more popular

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theres really no reason to put them in opposition. theyre both extremely good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean I'd like Utena more if Jupiter was there to crack some skulls I guess

amen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Varinn posted:

theres really no reason to put them in opposition. theyre both extremely good

Never. One must perish.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My Utena experience is that some guys I used to hang out with told me a story about how they watched Utena and one of them took a shot every time the show made him ask “what the hell is going on” and ended with him running outside and puking, and then swearing off alcohol forever.

He was probably just a dumbass though (cause we all were) because he also thought it made sense to lie about having a fish allergy instead of just saying he didn’t like seafood, until the other two morons snuck seafood into something he ate as a “joke”.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

the only reason sailor moon is more popular than the objectively-superior Revolutionary Girl Utena is because it made US normies horny for schoolgirls 30 years ago. hell, utena is even better at being horny!

https://youtu.be/d7fQg0U4PHk

rinbu revolution rips the doors off of moonlight densetsu!!!
i think that, probably, the reason sailor moon is popular is because kids liked it, op

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

i remember seeing screencaps of a tw*tter drama around the time of NEO TWEWY's release about how the localization was ~ruining~ the ~original author's intentions~ by not 1-to-1 translating every single sentence literally, regardless of anything else.

really makes me think

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

The scanlation started out okay but then got worse with each chapter. They don't understand how "you" works in Japanese so everyone talks in third person a few chapters in.

"In private" doesn't work for the scene because one guy dropped by the other's apartment in an earlier chapter, and the "outside of work" is esepcially important to emphasize since the premise is that they're MMO friends who don't know they're coworkers irl.

It still works for me :shrug:
As I said, it looks like an ESL problem to me. The translator doesn't have the literary knowledge of how to properly express it in English.
Private can be used just like that in German.

-e-
My Utena story:
They showed anime at a Con all night and I woke up to Utena driving her girlfriend. They then showed Agga Ruter.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 12, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

In other news, the Fruits Basket prequel movie is out now (the one that adapts the story about Tohru’s parents)

Finally got around to watching this, while the whole student/teacher relationship was a little uncomfortable the movie was still pretty good overall (is there any particular reason why this arc didn’t get adapted into the anime proper?)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

homeless snail posted:

i think that, probably, the reason sailor moon is popular is because kids liked it, op

I never watched it but the dub OP was very catchy.

I've said it before but I miss dub OPs, I don't think they happen anymore, neither totally new songs or English versions of the Japanese version. Last one I can recall is the Funi cast all singing DB Kai's opening which was over a decade ago now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Both the dub and original versions of Moonlight Densetsu and Catch Me Catch You are very fun

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

marumaru posted:

i remember seeing screencaps of a tw*tter drama around the time of NEO TWEWY's release about how the localization was ~ruining~ the ~original author's intentions~ by not 1-to-1 translating every single sentence literally, regardless of anything else.

really makes me think

Man, the original looks so dry, you sure people weren’t posting this as an example of “why localization is good, actually”?

God, now I remember the “fragile male ego” discourse that culminated in the guy who wrote the original Japanese script saying he okayed the localized line and being told by weebs he didn’t understand his own language.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The DIC dub had some pretty good original songs as well (Carry On and Only A Memory Away being some of my favorite SM songs in general), not entirely sure why they made Usagi sound like she was at least 40 in the Cloverway adaption though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurking Haro posted:

It still works for me :shrug:
As I said, it looks like an ESL problem to me. The translator doesn't have the literary knowledge of how to properly express it in English.
Private can be used just like that in German.