Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Rather than another reality, that just sounds like from another generation. Those games are all from a very small time window. Aside from Blue Planet, which was from 1997 those were all new or newly republished in 2005.

So either you're posting through a time hole from back when these forums were also super popular, or your group got into (non-D&D) RPGs in 2005 and their tastes ossified nearly instantly.

Those specific games are from a narrow window - but semi physics sim is a long standing genre dating back to Runequest and Traveller and definitely including GURPS. Indeed I'm not joking when I say that 3.0 advanced D&D design to the RPG design standards of the mid 80s (and if necessary break out Ryan Dancey's review of WFRP 3e to prove it). But it's a pretty naively intuitive design paradigm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

neonchameleon posted:

5.5e is coming in 2014. Why do I think that? Because I can't see WotC not pushing the boat out for what is both the tenth and the fiftieth anniversary edition of D&D. And they know most of what they did well (subclasses make it easy for beginners to get extra layers to their characters and don't feel like bloat in the same way as prestige classes thanks to much better chunking) and what they did badly (they have a perfect opportunity to make the Tasha's ranger core, fix the bad subclasses (berserker, four elements monk) and upgrade the sorcerer subclasses, plus a few other tweaks. 5e is conceptually easy to understand for someone used to crpgs because CRPGs have been based on D&D to the point of being incestuous.

4e was pretty profitable, largely thanks to the character builder. I think it was something like $7 million that WotC made from DDI in 2013 after they'd given up on it - this wasn't public information but the number of people with access to the relevant Gleemax forum, and that they only were members while they were subscribers was hence the estimate. But that was just very profitable, not the silly money 5e has been raking in in the past few years. Its problem was that it was released at the wrong time - and I don't mean 2008 as opposed to 2020. I mean 2008 as opposed to 2009 or 2010. They were given a far too short two year deadline - and threw the whole first draft out after ten months. The 4e that was originally shipped had ... issues. Which got resolved and by 2010 4e was an excellent game - but what was released in 2008 was full of bugs and should have been the beta test.

I assume you meant 2024 not 2014, but yeah I agree that it is likely we'll see the next version of D&D that year or at least it'll get announced then

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

drrockso20 posted:

I assume you meant 2024 not 2014, but yeah I agree that it is likely we'll see the next version of D&D that year or at least it'll get announced then

They already announced it. It's in 2023.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I mean, "next evolution" could just mean an Anniversary Edition of the Rulebook, that fixes the ranger and Tasha races the default. Whatever they release is going to be completely compatible with everything they've already released, and everything they've already released will be completely compatible with everything that's yet to come. They're not drawing a line in the sand.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend recommend actual play stuff for Blades in the Dark (or other Forged in the Dark stuff) and for a PbtA game (specifically Fellowship or MotW would be great, but anything is fine)? I'm gonna be running one of those fairly soon and I've never actually had the chance to play in them, so I'd like to see how they actually work in practice. I don't need a huge amount, just enough to get a decent feel for it.

I thought this series was pretty engaging: Oxventure Presents: Blades in the Dark (Youtube playlist)

They do actually try to use the mechanics, and it leads to entertaining places.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

neonchameleon posted:

Those specific games are from a narrow window - but semi physics sim is a long standing genre dating back to Runequest and Traveller and definitely including GURPS. Indeed I'm not joking when I say that 3.0 advanced D&D design to the RPG design standards of the mid 80s (and if necessary break out Ryan Dancey's review of WFRP 3e to prove it). But it's a pretty naively intuitive design paradigm.

3.0 D&D was basically dollar store rolemaster, so yep.

Speaking of rolemaster, i'm going to run AGAINST THE DARKMASTER for my og crew after we're finished with the 1e slavers series (they're halfway through a4 at the moment), has anyone played it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend recommend actual play stuff for Blades in the Dark (or other Forged in the Dark stuff) and for a PbtA game (specifically Fellowship or MotW would be great, but anything is fine)? I'm gonna be running one of those fairly soon and I've never actually had the chance to play in them, so I'd like to see how they actually work in practice. I don't need a huge amount, just enough to get a decent feel for it.

Having played quite a lot of Blades, far and away the best Blades AP I've seen that isn't the playtest podcast (which is actually the best Blades AP, but isn't great for learning the final version of the rules) is RollPlay: Blades. It's run by John Harper, so the rules are actually used and adhered to, and he teaches them well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DoubleDonut posted:

The YouTube channel Actual Play is co-run by one of the designers of Scum & Villainy, and they have a bunch of campaigns of both FitD and PbtA stuff on there. It's a bit lo-fi production wise but a lot of the people involved are designers so you'll get to see the systems being used correctly, for the most part.

Here's a playlist for a Scum and Villainy campaign, and here is a playlist for Bounty of the Week which is a MotW hack

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought this series was pretty engaging: Oxventure Presents: Blades in the Dark (Youtube playlist)

They do actually try to use the mechanics, and it leads to entertaining places.

This is also good, especially since the GM has never run an RPG before so you get to see how it works for someone with no experience. If you watch that, I recommend heading over to the Dicebreaker YouTube channel where there are a series of 3 (I think) videos where he talks about the experience of learning to GM using Blades

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 12, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tarnop posted:

This is also good, especially since the GM has never run an RPG before so you get to see how it works for someone with no experience.

Wait, seriously?! I would have never guessed that!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think you have the effect of it being a podcast coming to the fore there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

I think you have the effect of it being a podcast coming to the fore there.

I assume it was edited down, sure. Although I could swear they did at least one live. (Also it's not a podcast but a series of youtube videos, which kind of makes cuts a bit more obvious)

Edit: Okay, I think I tracked down the videos, and since the first one starts talking about DMing and D&D, I'm wondering whether he first did a season of D&D before doing Blades. Because I remember their Blades campaign was starting in the past/somewhere to the side of their D&D setting (which I never bothered with, so I don't know much about).

vvv Yep, that's the one I just found! Cheers!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 12, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's the first video in a series of three where he basically preps himself for GMing by talking to the person who ran the previous Oxventures (in D&D, hence the video title)

https://youtu.be/yUCaP_GfdA8

There isn't a playlist for them but you should just be able to follow the suggestion algorithm for parts 2 & 3

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 12, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, I think I tracked down the videos, and since the first one starts talking about DMing and D&D, I'm wondering whether he first did a season of D&D before doing Blades. Because I remember their Blades campaign was starting in the past/somewhere to the side of their D&D setting (which I never bothered with, so I don't know much about).

vvv Yep, that's the one I just found! Cheers!

No worries!

Luke was a player in Johnny's D&D Oxventures campaign, and near the start of the first video they talk about how the closest thing Luke has done to GMing is being the narrator in a game of Werewolf.

Now of course his job requires him to have a kind of kids TV presenter energy that will carry you some way in GMing but it's still an impressive first outing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

neonchameleon posted:

Yeah, I was really curious because it's not common to see, at least here and the other places I frequent. It feels like old school stuff has a big following, and newer 2010's and on stuff does too, but almost nobody talks positively about games from that 1995-2005 period, despite it containing the d20 boom and ostensibly having tons of games to talk about.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Anyone familiar with DIE? There’s a Kickstarter for it now, but looking at it and the comic it seems to be trying to bridge two very separate ideals.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The comic was interesting, especially if you're an RPG and fantasy fiction history nerd, but the ending wasn't satisfying and I didn't really feel like I'd want to play in the game as game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The comic was interesting, especially if you're an RPG and fantasy fiction history nerd, but the ending wasn't satisfying and I didn't really feel like I'd want to play in the game as game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
That’s what bothered me a bit, RRD making that mistake with making an RPG based on an isekai of making the game into a game instead of making the isekai into a game, when it is the isekai that was written and people liked.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hyphz posted:

That’s what bothered me a bit, RRD making that mistake with making an RPG based on an isekai of making the game into a game instead of making the isekai into a game, when it is the isekai that was written and people liked.

It's not really RRD "making the mistake", it's polishing a game that's already been in development by the original author for a while now. Apparently it's done well in playtesting, it's just not really interesting to me.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The DIE RPG got high praise from Stras Acimovic (designer of Scum & Villainy and Band of Blades), who has Good Taste In Games and was part of a six-month long playtest campaign for it, and intends to play it again when the full release is out. That's enough for me to want to check it out, at minimum.

https://twitter.com/strasa/status/1524783245874720768

Thread continues from there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, this is all besides the "I don't want to funnel money through Kickstarter until they drop blockchain" business.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, this is all besides the "I don't want to funnel money through Kickstarter until they drop blockchain" business.

Don't forget Kickstarter's also a company that actively tried to union-bust.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
DIE is using Backerkit, so late orders are probably on the table.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CitizenKeen posted:

DIE is using Backerkit, so late orders are probably on the table.

Yeah. And they're already funded, so you don't have to worry about the project failing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I guess the red flag was several of the mechanics being ones that work in fiction but not gaming. The fair gold system is interesting as a way of adding story, but in a game it just makes an entire class’ abilities all GM-may-I. Ditto Godbinder.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

hyphz posted:

I guess the red flag was several of the mechanics being ones that work in fiction but not gaming. The fair gold system is interesting as a way of adding story, but in a game it just makes an entire class’ abilities all GM-may-I. Ditto Godbinder.

I'm glad we have you on hand to review the rules and mechanics that haven't been shown in any detail, Nostradamus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zerofiend posted:

I'm glad we have you on hand to review the rules and mechanics that haven't been shown in any detail, Nostradamus.

The playtest beta handbook is available for free: https://kierongillen.itch.io/die-beta

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zerofiend posted:

There's a beta. :shrug:

e:fb . I did link to the devlog that gives more information as to what specifically you might want to get to playtest it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

e:fb . I did link to the devlog that gives more information as to what specifically you might want to get to playtest it.

They really should have linked it on the Kickstarter page, when I looked when it was linked earlier there was no mention and I'd forgotten about the playtest until someone brought it up in the comments.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

They really should have linked it on the Kickstarter page, when I looked when it was linked earlier there was no mention and I'd forgotten about the playtest until someone brought it up in the comments.

You should have obviously gone through the comic's RPG page like I did. :v:

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I ran it for a couple of different groups and enjoyed it quite a bit. One group really dove into the midlife crisis simulator in that particular version of the beta. The party Neo (cybernetic rogue) ended up being the final boss for the group. I really enjoyed the asymmetric class design.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't forget Kickstarter's also a company that actively tried to union-bust.

'course, now that Kickstarter has a union, the members of that union probably wouldn't want you to boycott Kickstarter (at least until they choose to use that particular bargaining tool)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
TBH, "depends on a consumable resource that must be found" and "makes deals with intelligent outsiders" are both red flags for GM-may-I by default, even if there was no beta. They're just slightly less red when it's RRD as opposed to say, Monte Cook. :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hmm, I do not like this for 7 reasons.
1 STR
2 DEX
3 CON
4 INT
5 WIS
6 CHA
7 DIE the comic makes a big deal in the initial chapter about how they all came to the table with the kind of character they wanted to play and that they could play anything, so I was very interested in how the RPG was going to handle this build any class mechanic. Didn't expect it to just use the five classes from the comic.

Otherwise game looks neat, I like how each class is designed around making everyone hate you the most.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 13, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

TBH, "depends on a consumable resource that must be found" and "makes deals with intelligent outsiders" are both red flags for GM-may-I by default, even if there was no beta. They're just slightly less red when it's RRD as opposed to say, Monte Cook. :)
The other three classes are "The That Guy", "Realistic reaction to casting the Friend spell", and "Punished for playing against their alignment, which is emotions". Any GM who thinks that the downside to the NEO is not finding any fair gold shouldn't go anywhere near this game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yknow, I'm starting to think that PBTA isn't the answer to everything. Not even if you tack on D&Disms for doubleplusgood tummyfeels.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Yknow, I'm starting to think that PBTA isn't the answer to everything. Not even if you tack on D&Disms for doubleplusgood tummyfeels.

Well it was nice knowing you. Oak or elm for the pyre?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I am beginning to suspect that PBTA is to the 2020s what D20 was to the early 2000s.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everyone talks about powered by the apocalypse
but nobody ever ponders beyond the apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted: