Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

TenementFunster posted:

hopefully, sometime between now and the next 30 years, it’ll start sinking in to liberals that “i dissent” means you lost

To liberals losing is actually winning because it makes you the powerless underdog hero of your own narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This old dead judge is just like this murdered rapper. Isn’t that wacky?:v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ever feel embarrassed to be alive

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seems like a big deal, but maybe enough time passed that everyone will just shrug it off.

https://twitter.com/InsiderNews/status/1522523615882842115

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Saudis were involved in 9/11?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Saudis were involved in 9/11?

Discrepancy detected

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ever feel embarrassed to be alive

I wonder how many hundreds of hours went into it

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 7, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dark maga.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Whatever you think about how things got to this point, this poo poo is loving insane.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1523097022005403648

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/billybinion/status/1523137624671940608?s=20

Counter-point: gently caress You!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattduss/status/1523294351652450304

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I believe you should use be able to use your position of power to condemn millions of women to suffer and enshrine their position as second class citizens and open the doors to the end of marriage equality and other basic human rights all without suffering the slightest personal consequences.

I am a good person.

:decorum:

EDIT:

"I say this as someone who is not a conservative & disagrees with Kavanaugh on a whole lot going to suffer because of this"

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 9, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Seems like a big deal, but maybe enough time passed that everyone will just shrug it off.

https://twitter.com/InsiderNews/status/1522523615882842115

I don't have business insider... insider but the stuff here doesn't add up to the headline.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1524024920157601792?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah the first sensible Democratic position on the SCOTUS house protests comes from CHUCK SCHUMER???
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1524098988827418628

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/NickJBrumfield/status/1524370504068608003

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1524403223209070593

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kith posted:

vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who vote blue no matter who

Without Manchin Democrats wouldn't have been able to appoint a new Supreme Court justice. Literally anything he votes with Democrats on is a gift given how deep red West Virginia is. The problem isn't Manchin, it's how hosed Democrats are in the Senate because there are a ton of lovely red states and getting to 50 basically requires a miracle. Kicking Manchin out just makes even that miracle impossible.

It's a totally meaningless vote anyway since he's not the only no vote on nuking the filibuster.

Edit: I think Manchin's political calculations are wrong sometimes, as with tanking Biden's economic agenda where the filibuster wouldn't have been an issue, so I'm not saying he's always right. I'm just saying he's the wrong poster child for boycotting someone for insufficient ideological purity, because the only alternative is a Republican controlled Senate.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 12, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Manchin is an idiot but the capacity for people of all political persuasions to blame their least worthwhile allies rather than their explicit declared enemies always astounds me

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah he's a contemptible rear end in a top hat, but his Compassion Above Replacement is pretty high :negative:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Without Manchin Democrats wouldn't have been able to appoint a new Supreme Court justice. Literally anything he votes with Democrats on is a gift given how deep red West Virginia is. The problem isn't Manchin, it's how hosed Democrats are in the Senate because there are a ton of lovely red states and getting to 50 basically requires a miracle. Kicking Manchin out just makes even that miracle impossible.

It's a totally meaningless vote anyway since he's not the only no vote on nuking the filibuster.

Edit: I think Manchin's political calculations are wrong sometimes, as with tanking Biden's economic agenda where the filibuster wouldn't have been an issue, so I'm not saying he's always right. I'm just saying he's the wrong poster child for boycotting someone for insufficient ideological purity, because the only alternative is a Republican controlled Senate.
I don't like this. He should be primaried by better candidates with the full support of the DNC if they weren't so gutless. He may be the better of two evils but that really a false choice. This response seems a little.. impotent?
Dems are just worms that have a kink for being stepped on and that's what this response feels like.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AxGrap posted:

I don't like this. He should be primaried by better candidates with the full support of the DNC if they weren't so gutless. He may be the better of two evils but that really a false choice. This response seems a little.. impotent?
Dems are just worms that have a kink for being stepped on and that's what this response feels like.

The false choice is thinking there's an alternative in West Virginia that isn't a Republican. Tbf he'll probably lose if he runs again too, but seriously look at the margins of other races in WV if you're skeptical, and see how far he outperforms other Democrats. Specifically the last Democrat who challenged him in a primary ran as the Democratic nominee in the next election and got demolished by 43%, Trump beat Hillary by 42%, and he beat Biden by 39%. Manchin is the biggest outlier by far in the Senate.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 12, 2022

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Not worth capitulating imo but I am just a humble internet person. Give people what will benefit them and Dems could get numbers. Or the coal baron or whatever can gum up the works for the half steps Dems offer. I don't necessarily disagree with you I just think it is a pitiful position and changing it takes will nobody should accept that it could be worse as an answer.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kith posted:

Sorry, everything's hosed and it's frustrating and I get that. But I don't think you understand the words you are upset with.

"Vote blue no matter who" means "don't vote for a Republican" or "vote for whoever wins the Dem primary, regardless of how you feel about them." It's not a great slogan, and not an idea I support at all.

But in this case not voting for Manchin, for the few that have that option, would mean supporting his Republican opponent... who would not exactly improve the situation in any way. It wouldn't even "send a message" because a Dem losing in West Virginia is a pretty expected defeat.

Manchin sucks. But he's not single handedly ruining everything. He's ruining everything along with every single Republican who are all equally culpable and worthy of our hate.

But yeah. gently caress Manchin.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Eiba posted:

would mean supporting his Republican opponent...

I simply don't agree with this

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AxGrap posted:

I simply don't agree with this
I don't want to bother with semantics. If you think "support" implies something more active, you've got a solid case that I won't argue with. Feel free to mentally replace it with, "would result in his Republican opponent having an easier victory".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, "support" in this case is assistance, whether intentional or not. If you don't vote for an opponent who could win, you're doing the candidate a favor, mathematically. Feeling self righteous doesn't change that fact.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, "support" in this case is assistance, whether intentional or not. If you don't vote for an opponent who could win, you're doing the candidate a favor, mathematically. Feeling self righteous doesn't change that fact.

I disagree with this false sense of choice. What if I convinced 2 people not to vote for the other side can I be absolved from "supporting" the opponent of a fuckin ghoul? I may be feeling a little self righteous but there are more avenues than accepting a terrible outcome, and I don't see that in the tone of the above posts.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I think I'm just mad that people ceded the ability to be actually angry to the right. This sucks! Be mad!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AxGrap posted:

I disagree with this false sense of choice. What if I convinced 2 people not to vote for the other side can I be absolved from "supporting" the opponent of a fuckin ghoul? I may be feeling a little self righteous but there are more avenues than accepting a terrible outcome, and I don't see that in the tone of the above posts.

Obviously you're going to do whatever you feel like doing but one of the sad facts of being an adult is frequently choosing the least bad option that you can actually have.

If you're at a wedding and they say you can have steak or chicken, do you demand lobster or pout and stamp your feet? In an election like the US presidential general, there are only 2 possible outcomes. Refusing the one that is less bad for more people feels like a spoiled brat fit pitching to me.

Get involved, be mad, protest, primary people, campaign, but don't pretend both sides are the same in 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AxGrap posted:

I think I'm just mad that people ceded the ability to be actually angry to the right. This sucks! Be mad!
I'm pretty mad! I'm really loving mad actually! I honestly wouldn't have commented if I wasn't personally furious about how this issue is playing out.

However getting mad and blaming the wrong thing is basically standard rightwing operating procedure. Let's not do that! We can call Manchin a lovely ghoul without randomly blaming electoral slogans that we don't like.

I also do not like the sports team implication and the implication that there should be less critical thought. Those are bad things, which I do not agree with. Bad things that aren't in play in this case, and are really missing the mark about why this lovely thing is lovely in a way that pissed me off. Far from a dispassionate correction, I'm also pissed at someone wasting time scoring points against some irrelevant poo poo during all this.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And Manchin is a piece of poo poo that's barely helpful

but he's the band-aid, not the axe wound

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AxGrap posted:

I want people to be mad but I'm so fuckin happy we don't have normalized political violence in our society. In so many other systems, Manchin would've been assassinated a while ago. But our system treats violence as an aberration and that's amazing. It's loving amazing. Once you open the violence jar, you can't close it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want people to be mad but I'm so fuckin happy we don't have normalized political violence in our society. In so many other systems, Manchin would've been assassinated a while ago. But our system treats violence as an aberration and that's amazing. It's loving amazing. Once you open the violence jar, you can't close it.

Imagine if the Jan 6ers actually found a democrat in the capital…

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, what a travesty that would be.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the corpse of martin luther king jr, "and how!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

sugar free jazz posted:

the corpse of martin luther king jr, "and how!"

Oh, right

*JFK's corpse shakes its head at me, off to the side, the piece of hair and skull and brains that was blown off his head also shakes its head at me*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Perhaps a bit more apropos would be