Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TenementFunster posted:

the only reason sailor moon is more popular than the objectively-superior Revolutionary Girl Utena is because it made US normies horny for schoolgirls 30 years ago. hell, utena is even better at being horny!

weird take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TenementFunster posted:

imagine preferring Mass Naked Child Event transformation over pulling a loving 4 foot rapier out of your gf’s tiddies so you can do World Revolution

sailor moon is for six year old girls dude. it's popular with people who watched and read it when they were kids. what the gently caress are you talking about

the most beloved parts of the 90s sailor moon anime were, the parts done by the director of utena, too

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really loved sailor moon as a kid far too young to even understand the basic rear end plot. i just knew tuxedo mask was funny

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my utena review is:

the first cour is fine. the second cour is extremely boring and I almost stopped watching after nearly every episode in it. the third cour is a transcendent 10/10

on average, utena is average

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Colonel posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about
the resurgence of sailor moon's popularity over the last five years among zoomers and younger millennials.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

cheetah7071 posted:

my utena review is:

the first cour is fine. the second cour is extremely boring and I almost stopped watching after nearly every episode in it. the third cour is a transcendent 10/10

on average, utena is average
dude turns into a car, fucks(?!)

12/10

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hmm...Wonder if this had anything to do with the anime that aired in the past few years...Couldnt be

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
controversially i don't really care that much for the sexual content in utena. it hits on some decently interesting notes but like. most of what's interesting about the character work honestly is elsewhere. the lesbian stuff stands out for the time but compared to other stories touching on that stuff i don't think it really gets interesting enough focus anywhere. show has some funny surreal gags though and i guess i'd rather rewatch it than rose of versailles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically. you should watch oniisama e

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Or, hear me out on this... Romeo × Juliet

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ah yes because it's never been popular to be an obnoxious utena fan

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

imagine preferring Mass Naked Child Event transformation over pulling a loving 4 foot rapier out of your gf’s tiddies so you can do World Revolution

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

the only reason sailor moon is more popular than the objectively-superior Revolutionary Girl Utena is because it made US normies horny for schoolgirls 30 years ago. hell, utena is even better at being horny!

https://youtu.be/d7fQg0U4PHk

rinbu revolution rips the doors off of moonlight densetsu!!!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I watched FLCL these past few nights.

- Loved the music, especially the ending theme.
- There were little sequences in each episode that I thought were very striking and well done, but it amounted to about 20% of the runtime and the rest was silly nonsense. I'm sure it would've hit better if I had watched it as a preteen, especially at the time of its release. I feel like both it and I have aged poorly.
- I legitimately enjoyed episodes three and four, and in general, it was short enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time at all.

I'm typically a completionist, but I don't think I'll look into the sequel series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Kitsurubami was cute

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

surf rock posted:

I'm typically a completionist, but I don't think I'll look into the sequel series.

for all intents and purposes they don't exist so you're making the correct choice

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
after watching 3/4s of tokyo revengers because a friend told me to, i have concluded that the super cub girls are a better biker gang than the tokyo manji gang

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Colonel posted:

controversially i don't really care that much for the sexual content in utena. it hits on some decently interesting notes but like. most of what's interesting about the character work honestly is elsewhere. the lesbian stuff stands out for the time but compared to other stories touching on that stuff i don't think it really gets interesting enough focus anywhere. show has some funny surreal gags though and i guess i'd rather rewatch it than rose of versailles
they're all cousins

surf rock posted:

do not!

FLCL rules; the silly nonsense was the point

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 12, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my scorching hot utena take is that the black rose arc was a really interesting look at how the duelists did not exist in a vacuum and their pursuit of the duels and the rose bride ended up doing serious harm to everyone they cared about, even if the main villain was extremely whatever. I liked it a lot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Official release of that MMO coworkers manga translated that line as "met up with you on your off-time"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

Official release of that MMO coworkers manga translated that line as "met up with you on your off-time"

Well, it's correct but it still feels pretty clunky compared with "outside of work"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What I’m learning is that most manga translations desperately need proof reading

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I'm sure someone will create an AI proofreader* to go along with the AI translator*.

*Both will be terrible

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
drat, lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hosed up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The space rocks are turning the people gay!!!!!:argh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Movie trailer narrator guy voice*

In a world where heterosexuality no longer exists...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

houseki no kuni x steven universe

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
sounds kinda boring unless there are also walking flowers that eat people or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the author of that wrote a pretty widely criticized biographical manga about being pansexual that got cancelled over her expressing some pretty typically weird biotruths about the differences between men and women so it seems like, the work of someone who has very odd thoughts on gender and sexuality and confused ideas of how to express them

the one funny thing to note about this manga is that the plot explanation for why the main character is the one heterosexual woman on earth is because there was an astronaut who wasn't on earth when the asteroids hit, so he was the one heterosexual man left on earth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That doesn't explain it! That's a different person! Also this is just Dr. Stone but with homosexuality now!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the author of that wrote a pretty widely criticized biographical manga about being pansexual that got cancelled over her expressing some pretty typically weird biotruths about the differences between men and women so it seems like, the work of someone who has very odd thoughts on gender and sexuality and confused ideas of how to express them

the one funny thing to note about this manga is that the plot explanation for why the main character is the one heterosexual woman on earth is because there was an astronaut who wasn't on earth when the asteroids hit, so he was the one heterosexual man left on earth
yeah, i thought their name seemed a bit familiar - so i guess i won't be reading that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also if it's Dr. Stone rules, there's usually more than one person in space at any given time!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Inspiring tale of *checks notes* your dad loving a lesbian?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If hererosexuality is a genetic trait where the poo poo does this woman think gay people come fro--the meteors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If hererosexuality is a genetic trait where the poo poo does this woman think gay people come fro--the meteors.
I'm not sure woman-who-talks-about-biotruths have thought through sexuality as a whole, let alone the minutia of it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sinky posted:

I'm sure someone will create an AI proofreader* to go along with the AI translator*.

*Both will be terrible
Timed by AI Killshok

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Would the threat of gay meteors kill funding for space programs or spike it into the heavens

A more entertaining thought experiment, imo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dont look up (my bum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

surf rock posted:

I watched FLCL these past few nights.

- Loved the music, especially the ending theme.
- There were little sequences in each episode that I thought were very striking and well done, but it amounted to about 20% of the runtime and the rest was silly nonsense. I'm sure it would've hit better if I had watched it as a preteen, especially at the time of its release. I feel like both it and I have aged poorly.
- I legitimately enjoyed episodes three and four, and in general, it was short enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time at all.

I tried to read the manga recently. Flcl was my favorite when I was growing up and watching it on adult swim. It didn't hit the same.